• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUILTY GEAR Xrd REV 2 |OT| Holy Smokes Baiken!

Zissou

Picked this up the other day and it's a lot of fun. Haven't played a GG since...something on the PS2. I'm impressed by the single player content here as well as the nice tutorial. I am absolutely terrible at fighting games though. Is GG considered difficult to learn?

It can be difficult, but you can do pretty well even with basics, and there are a ton of resources out there for learning the game. If you're not already aware of it, Novriltataki's guilty gear crash course series is really good for getting started. Even if the early episodes seem stupidly simple, the series quickly progresses to more advanced stuff you may not be aware of.

Danielsan

Just picked up Rev2. Hopefully I can boot it up tonight, though I suspect I'll have to wait till tomorrow. With regards to the story. Do I need to look up Sign's story online / on youtube or is it included in Rev2?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Hory shet I totally forgot Momentary Life was in the gallery now. The true GG starts here.

Syril

Rev 2 is up on steam now.

EDIT: Steam version has lobbies added in if you care for that.
Okay, so going by what's been said here, the $45 bundle is equivalent to the standalone Rev 2 on consoles, and doesn't include any of the dlc listed that's not "Additional Playable Character"?

Okay, so going by what's been said here, the $45 bundle is equivalent to the standalone Rev 2 on consoles, and doesn't include any of the dlc listed that's not "Additional Playable Character"?

Looks like it, yeah. Basically it's the same as full Rev2 but none of the "optional" DLC like colors, voices, etc. There is a $60 bundle with ALL DLC and the full Rev+Rev2, though.

Purdy

Okay so this finally inspired me to play through the tutorial of GG Xrd - Sign. To my surprise I managed to do all 50 in one sitting. Quite the amount of information to take in, seems a hell of a lot more than SFIV.

Am I right in saying I can play the story in this and then buy Rev 2 and get the story from Rev 1 also included?

Secondly will I need to repeat the tutorial in Rev 2 when I buy it as things have changed?

Hazzuh

Just picked up Rev2. Hopefully I can boot it up tonight, though I suspect I'll have to wait till tomorrow. With regards to the story. Do I need to look up Sign's story online / on youtube or is it included in Rev2?

REV's story follows straight on from SIGN so it would help to catch up on it. I don't think the SIGN story is included in REV (but there is a primer which talks about what happens iirc). I think you can find it on youtube, here is what looks like a full video of it.

Rutger

Banned
Being able to wall cling with Chipp by holding a button after a special is such a nice quality of life change. That's going to make corner oki much cleaner.

Okay so this finally inspired me to play through the tutorial of GG Xrd - Sign. To my surprise I managed to do all 50 in one sitting. Quite the amount of information to take in, seems a hell of a lot more than SFIV.

Am I right in saying I can play the story in this and then buy Rev 2 and get the story from Rev 1 also included?

Secondly will I need to repeat the tutorial in Rev 2 when I buy it as things have changed?

Yes, Rev1's story is in Rev2, play through Sign and then jump into Rev2.

Edzi

So I noticed the Rev2 upgrade has a DLC bundle now. Is this the preferred way to buy the game on steam if you don't have Revelator, or should we still wait for a standalone bundle? Revelator ($30) + Rev2 DLC upgrade bundle ($25) should net me ALL the characters for $45?

colinp

Banned
Have to fish around a bit, most of the players just seem to be gathering in just a few regions per continent.

Yeah it's interesting, in Japan most everyone congregates and plays in the Tokyo lobbies on the PS version. Last night I saw multiple full (64 people) lobbies. Connections varied since I'm in the north and who knows where they all are in Japan but it was playable.

Really love the lobby system though- so silly! But it works really well.

Bought. Going through combo missions. Can't get the hang of combos that start with an air dash. It's ridiculously hard. Have to airdash at the right height, jumping from the right distance, and hit the button at the right point of the airdash to be able to complete all of the "jumping" attacks it wants me to do. Looks like there's very little wiggle room for this too so it almost has to be perfect. It also bothers me that I am bad and not able to do these with an instant air dash because I can't get the hang of that. I have to neutral jump and then dash. Bah! Grind woes! It's fun though and I'm liking Baiken a lot. I can't bring myself to play online anytime soon though :(

Ernest

Banned
Gonna get this today (PS4), but quick question - should I buy digital or physical?

Does it come with a cool, color booklet?

Espada

Yeah, you've got to go to the REDEngine folder and mess with the SystemSettings file to adjust things like the amount of AF and the resolution you want the game to run at. For shits and giggles I put it at 3840 x 2160 and it actually runs at 60fps on my 1070. I can only imagine the ridiculous settings people will set the game to in the PC screenshot thread.

So I noticed the Rev2 upgrade has a DLC bundle now. Is this the preferred way to buy the game on steam if you don't have Revelator, or should we still wait for a standalone bundle? Revelator ($30) + Rev2 DLC upgrade bundle ($25) should net me ALL the characters for $45?
Well that's convenient. Still nothing on PS4.

Looks like it, yeah. Basically it's the same as full Rev2 but none of the "optional" DLC like colors, voices, etc. There is a $60 bundle with ALL DLC and the full Rev+Rev2, though.
Or characters!

Pejo

Gold Member
So I played a bunch of single player and training stuff last night, and I'm liking Raven, Sin, and Ram. I used to play around with Chipp in the old games, but I feel he's a little rough for a somewhat beginner with his high execution and low HP.

Which of the 3 characters above would be best for someone who cannot pull off air combos? I'm looking for the most "grounded" character I guess, that can still be effective. I always always drop air juggles.

Espada

So no reason to keep the first one after getting this?

From what I can see, there's no reason to keep SIGN beyond having the story and English VA stuff. While I was poking around in the menus I noticed you can even change the damn game between Revelator and Rev 2 versions (which the game mentions adjusts character properties). That's the first time I've ever seen something like that in a fighting game.

On an unrelated note: That tutorial was AWESOME. Oh, and Sol's new stab-the-ground move looks cool as hell.

Well that's convenient. Still nothing on PS4.

Or characters!

Was talking about the steam one, yeah. Steam $45 bundle of Rev + Rev2 includes the DLC characters (dizzy, raven unlock and kum). If you already have Rev and buy Rev2 you don't get that bundle, but there's an all DLC option for that, too (but it doesn't include any Rev1 DLC liek colors of characters).

Honestly, this whole thing is confusing and I wish they'd get with the times with this stuff. If I ever decide to double dip/move to PC for GG (been kind of wanting super sampling... and future proofing of sorts) I'd be getting the $45 bundle on a sale.

Amani

So I played a bunch of single player and training stuff last night, and I'm liking Raven, Sin, and Ram. I used to play around with Chipp in the old games, but I feel he's a little rough for a somewhat beginner with his high execution and low HP.

Which of the 3 characters above would be best for someone who cannot pull off air combos? I'm looking for the most "grounded" character I guess, that can still be effective. I always always drop air juggles.

Sin, definitely. Easy execution, and his hunger mechanic isn't really that difficult once you learn how to cancel your specials into the eating special.

Baiken is awesome! She was my original main from X, and I generally just play Faust and Potemkin a bit. I liked Leo when I tried him in Sign, but I will probably return to Baiken now. That redesign though... Tsuba eyepatch, Haohmaru hair, trenchcoat, that's great. Super mega cleavage of doom... Eh, that wasn't the point originally.

Anyway, I like all the new options and the different setups. Feels slightly like Gato.

Pejo

Gold Member
Sin, definitely. Easy execution, and his hunger mechanic isn't really that difficult once you learn how to cancel your specials into the eating special.

I was getting that feeling honestly the more I played. He can link a lot of his specials together easily, and has really good pokes. Looks like it's time to hit up youtube for some ideas and then training mode.

Ernest

Banned
Went with the digital download.

Quick question; since Rev2 has so much more content than the last game, how come it only takes up 9.89 gigs, while the last one took up 10.21?

Not a huge difference, but it is when you consider the new one has more content, or is supposed to...

Question: I bought the rev 2 disc version and I do have save data from Rev 1 on my PS4. There is a way to transfer that data to my disc version of rev 2? I tried several times but I can't make this thing to work at all.

Edzi

Which arcade stick layout do you guys prefer? I'm finding the default kind of awkward, so I'm debating between layout D and E, but I've mostly been sticking to D.

colinp

Banned
Which arcade stick layout do you guys prefer? I'm finding the default kind of awkward, so I'm debating between layout D and E, but I've mostly been sticking to D.

I started with the default (I think it's D on PS3) my first night playing but switched to A and I like it, got used to it pretty quickly, too.

Naite

Question: I bought the rev 2 disc version and I do have save data from Rev 1 on my PS4. There is a way to transfer that data to my disc version of rev 2? I tried several times but I can't make this thing to work at all.

It should've asked you when it was loading up if you wanted to use your Revelator save. Are both games from the same region? Maybe try deleting your Rev 2 save and see if it pops up again.

Bought Rev2. Had Rev1 for a while but never really played it due to the massive amount of games that I had when I got it, but I jumped online for the first time with Rev2 and its so damn fun. I love the online lobby in this.

Darkrider

Picked this up on Steam last night, looking forward to hopping into training mode today. Haven't played a GG game in some time.

Momentary

Banned
Here's a little Super move / Instant Kill video I put together. I know I'm late to the party, but I've got the game running at 5K then I recorded at 4K at a tremendous bitrate. If you got a 4K T.V., then enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQJOwHMX85w

The Bitrate quality is probably good enough to be able to grab screenshots from for a background pic if you want.

34211306564_5e42d90566_o.jpg

Deimo5

What the heck, theres a hidden class 6 in M.O.M if you press left or right instead of up and down. Am I out of the loop or did not people generally not get this far anyway. Lol my mind is blown.
On further investigation it seems only Sol and Ky have this class and they are both overpowered as hell.
Further further investigation, Sol is permanently in dragon install, wtf.

Naite

What the heck, theres a hidden class 6 in M.O.M if you press left or right instead of up and down. Am I out of the loop or did not people generally not get this far anyway. Lol my mind is blown.
On further investigation it seems only Sol and Ky have this class and they are both overpowered as hell.
Further further investigation, Sol is permanently in dragon install, wtf.

First time I'm hearing of it. I always assumed 5 was the limit and stopped after that.

Deimo5

First time I'm hearing of it. I always assumed 5 was the limit and stopped after that.

Yeah like I just found out about it accidently, they don't give you any indication that it exists.
Found this one video where Baiken azami cheeses her way to a win over Sol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lJVLjZnI28

They are both stupidly broken strong and make super Sin and Elphelt from Sign look like chumps, so not really that fun to fight. I would usually die in about 15 seconds.
Sol has Gunflame EX which is like a giant multi hitting homing version of the regular move and Ky has something similar for Sacred Edge. They are very difficult to avoid, blocking has almost no effect and they can easily kill you instantly.
Turns out their item drops are basically bragging rights trophies with insignificant buffs so you wouldn't be missing out on much. Captured their character stats for reference - http://imgur.com/a/EAmZj

It's cool that they exist though, I had no idea what was happening at first ha. It can be hard to get that feeling in the internet information era.

Top Bottom