• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Extreme VS (PS3) |OT| >>>>>>>>>> Your Favorite Fighting Game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So after trying to read moonrunes through google translate, and a few games, I've discovered the beauty of Ez8.

Too bad he's so bland, just very effective at what he does (snipe people all day long behind obstacles, 2500 level zunda). I wish he had an EX Burst, but I have no idea what it would be.

Maybe Aina shows up in Apsalus and blasts the shit out of everyone.

After playing Dragon Gundam a bit more it still feels more like a very limited ranged and support unit rather than a melee one. It's melee combos seem to be shorter and don't do as much damage as some of the other melee units.

It has better regular ranged options than the other G Gundam units. I am fairly sure the arms extend further than the ranged attack on God or Master gundams. But it's still very weak compared to a regular BR that most other units have. You can dash out of it but that interrupts the attack, and it doesn't extend to the full red lock range. So you have to aim for landings, make sure your attacks are accurate and just throwing it out there is risky and ineffective.

The arm grab leads to some very nice damage and is very useful for punishing a hard landing, gerobi, or an opponent rushing at you for melee. But it also lives you very exposed and it's rather difficult to land it if the target moves even a little bit. So really Dragon Gundam feels like a unit that you would use high mobility to move around and stay close to the enemy looking for openings that you can punish. The hard knock down on the arm is good for cutting and disabling an opponent, the grab is good for punishing a large opening. But I don't feel that Dragon Gundam has a lot of tools to get in for a melee combo and that it's better to wait for an opening or for one of the opponents to screw up.

Either way I guess I should keep playing with it because it should at least improve my ranged game.

I'm getting really into this game. My friends and I have been streaming 2v2 matches online. I think I love every 1000 point mobile suit.

Georgious

Banned

Ok. That was awesome. I'm bringing this over to my buddy's place Friday, so it would be interesting

Also, I haven't played in a week or so. I forget, does each shoulder button always correspond to the same listed weapon? For example, R1 = weapon2 listing, L1 = weapon3, etc. And if so, which is which? I won't have a shot to go take a look, but it'll make visualizing these videos a lot more effective.

Now that it's been posted outside of a magazine, I guess it's safe to post about it:
http://www.mechadamashii.com/news/news-gundam-extreme-versus-full-boost-leos-type-update/

The article parses the info from a Japanese article (which it links to) which also has some pics for the "Leos type".

So I guess the Extreme Gundam is a playable suit now. May Gackt have mercy on the souls of those who are weighted down by earth's gravity.

Edit:

I forget, does each shoulder button always correspond to the same listed weapon? For example, R1 = weapon2 listing, L1 = weapon3, etc. And if so, which is which? I won't have a shot to go take a look, but it'll make visualizing these videos a lot more effective.

Pretty much. The shoulder buttons are essentially macros for specific button combination, so if it corresponds to a specific attack for one unit, it'll do the same for the others; i.e., if R1 on your controller does F91's VSBR attack (which is done by pressing Shoot and Melee at the same time otherwise), then it's the same button you'd press for the Dragon Gundam's flags (which is also performed by pressing Shoot and Melee), and so on and so forth.

JKTrix

I forget, does each shoulder button always correspond to the same listed weapon? For example, R1 = weapon2 listing, L1 = weapon3, etc. And if so, which is which?
They are not always the same for every character. Soused is correct in that the shoulder buttons are specific macros, but that doesn't always correspond to the same 'weapon number' on the HUD for different characters.

Check this image from the OP and take note of 'Weapon 3', the Guntank summon.
gameplayhud2.png

Now this screenshot of a F91 replay. Weapon 3 is also an assist summon (Vigna Ghina).
v0X4W.jpg

Same weapon 'slot', similar function, but the commands are different. Guntank is BC (Melee+Jump), Vigna Ghina is AC (Shoot+Jump). You might be better off being sure what the command macros are on the controller rather than worrying about HUD consistency.

Jubern

They are not always the same for every character. Soused is correct in that the shoulder buttons are specific macros, but that doesn't always correspond to the same 'weapon number' on the HUD for different characters.

It actually IS the same weapon number for everything, it's just the function that varies from a MS to another. Summon won't necessarily be special shoot, for instance.

But yeah, like you said, you're ultimately better off learning the moveset rather than trying to figure the HUD.

Jubern

"When they say boost management, they really mean overheat management!"
"We got this, don't die on me fool! OH DUUUUDE."
"There's the damage bonus that people do not now about!"

That guy knows what's going on lol

And no one comments on me getting to close and dying all the time? I must be doing something wrong, time to go back to playing more melee suits.

And no one comments on me getting to close and dying all the time? I must be doing something wrong, time to go back to playing more melee suits.

You talking about Dragon or just in general? Could just be aggresiveness taking part, but it's one of those suits you need to consistently chase and pressure with. The dragon fangs are tricky with their range.

hZyKql.jpg

Gundam-GAF! I HAVE RETURNED!!

(I have also finally recovered from excessive amounts of caffeine on my day off.)

I left IRC last night, expecting to go to a tourney at a LAN center that some friends of mine said they had planned out. But impromptu plans have a nasty habit of falling apart at the last moment; pretty much everyone who said that they'd help set up the tourney either hadn't received the game yet, or hadn't even purchased it.

So, they all agreed to have me visit everyone's house with my copy of the game instead. Clearly my opinion on this sudden turn of events was unnecessary, since other people's money was on the line! What was I going to do, just have people throw down $90 dollars on some random game?! Don't be stingy! (The other bullet point on their list of phrases was "what, you're just going to walk 5/10/15 miles back home at 1/2/3 AM?")

So we went by a couple of houses for the night. And the friends we hooked up with all marveled at the roster, which triggered some nostalgia over series and OVAs that they watched back in the day, or intrigued them with new suits and characters that they had never seen before. Some of us had either played the earlier games in the series that were localized in the States, or (still!) play Gotcha Force, but the rest were newcomers, so I went over the basics with them in Free Battle. I could see the gears turning in their heads while they tried out the different suits, trying to imagine out how the game might work in their mind, playing theory fighter with each other, etc.

And when they actually started running sets, they got pretty hyped. I can't remember any specific details about their impressions, but I remember bits and pieces of it: "yoooooooo, this game", "fucking BOUGHT", "Gun-god-DAMN", "Double Zeta Gundam: Launching!" (Times Infinity), etc.

Hell, a few of them invited some people over while I was there just to play the game. At 1 in the morning. And they actually came! It was crazy.

mS2iKl.jpg

1B8gFl.jpg

I had brought along some other games, expecting to run sets after the now-fictional tourney was over. Some people were willing to take breaks with KOF XIII or VF5, but most just wanted to play EXVS. Pretty much everyone wanted a copy of the game near the end of the trip, in one way or another, and now they're all trying to get their own copies, or at least pool together some money to buy copies and share them with one another.

Overall, I'd say that it was a fun night, although I'm still a little mad about giving up a night with Gundam-GAF over a non-existent tournament. I demanded compensation -
6UaiPl.jpg

- and it was given freely.

The main culprits of this fiasco said that they'd run a real tourney once they have their copies in their hands, and that they want me to put up the matches on YouTube; I'm considering it, but I'm still going to wait for some proof before I tag along for anything. I'll also have to remember to bring my camera, so that I can take pics as stuff happens instead of after the fact. Hopefully they can get their hands on the game soon so that I can have some local competition as well!

You did good Soused... you did good.
Heh, thanks. It's always fun to show the game off, get people interested in it, etc. The more the merrier!

Speaking of which -

i just ordered it.

Awesome. It's always good to see new players. Try hopping onto IRC if you can.

I don't know much about Dragon, but I've eked out some wins with it from time to time.
I usually use its Dragon Claw like the Turn A's hammers, mainly for knocking down people who try to get too close or to buy someone some time. The grab with both arms doesn't have as much of a reach, so I don't use it for ranged attacks until I can conform a hit off the flags or something.
When I want to start melee, I either try to start a combo with neutral B (trying to confirm a hit on the first slash) or 8B (step canceling it throws people off every now and then). Of course, sometimes throwing out that flying slash of his and going into that special dragon fire just works - it beats out a lot of stuff, actually.

That's pretty much all I know about that particular suit.

Haly

Now that there are streams going I never have to play again.

I...I...need a break from this game. I just spent several hours yesterday screwing around picking Random and being mildly bored. This can't possibly be good for anyone.

Haly

Wait, if you only play with one copy do you guys have to do 2 x 2 split screen?

Or is there some way to hook multiple TVs up?

Haly

That's awful.

Can two people play on the same PS3 online at least?

JKTrix

The game is apparently pretty demanding on the PS3, based on how much of a performance hit it takes when playing splitscreen. Shouta said some of the effects were changed/removed compared to the Arcade version as well. Still, LAN support would have been great.

I'm gonna steal a friend's PS3 later tonight to get some game time in. I might not be online, but if I do it'll be under my Japanese account TXForte. Keep a look out if I add one of you.

Jubern

Sorry for not giving news recently. I haven't got a lot of time to play recently so I've been cleaning up my backlog before it grows any more.
That and FFXIII-2, guilty pleasure.
Will probably be playing a lot less than before, like you guys noticed (or not)...

My backlog is getting double teamed by the unstoppable combination of SRW Z2 and Extreme VS. So I can't play any other console or hand held game. Although luckily I do most of my gaming on PC.

Jubern

I'm actually kind of in the same boat. I'm trying to keep portable play outside home for now, and I'm juggling between finishing SRW@ (stage 53) on PSP, SRW W (stage 52) on DS and reading Gundam Unicorn 7 (and probably 8 right afterwards, don't want the anime to catch up to me). I'll be trying to get all this shit done by Z2 release date but this may be hard.

I'm drowning in too much good shit.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Yeah, I can hardly juggle SCV with EXVS anymore. Might have to retire my Nu.

lolz Sazabi still around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom