• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Timed Releases and Console vs PC

Which do you value more - playing a game 1 or 2 years sooner, or having enhanced visuals?

• Let me play on day one - FOMO + tomorrow isn't guaranteed

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I'll wait to play on PC - I want to trace ALL the rays

Votes: 56 70.9%

• Total voters

Celcius

°Temp. member
I have a PC, PS5, and Switch. My strategy so far this gen had been to buy multiplatform games on PC and then buy exclusives on PS5 and Switch. All 3 are fantastic platforms but PC has just always been my preferred place to play.
However, this generation has gone on for a while now and I see that more games are getting PC ports and also some games are timed exclusive console first and then PC later. For example:

Final Fantasy 16 - I bought this on PS5 and enjoyed it, but knowing what I know now I would have just waited for a PC port since the PS5 version is held back technically. Though I assume when/if a PS5 Pro version comes out then it will be enhanced, but a high end PC would still allow you to push the visuals further and also the Pro wasn't there at release.

Grand Theft Auto 6 - I assume the PS5 Pro will be out by the time this releases. However, I know the PC will have visuals enhanced even farther (I'd bet it gets path tracing like Cyberpunk) and also playing online is free on PC. The PlayStation version will look good enough though and I'd be able to play it a year or two sooner.

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth - This is my most anticipated title of the year and it comes out soon. I bought FF7 Remake on PS4, then later I bought the PS5 Intergrade update & DLC. Later it eventually released on PC (after a lengthy wait for the EGS version and then another lengthy wait for the Steam version) and now I realize that the rest of this trilogy will be releasing on PC as well. The PS5 Pro again isn't there for the game at launch and so it's either go with the base PS5 experience at launch or play it a year or two later with enhanced visuals on PC (and avoid spoilers in the meantime).

There are just examples but you get the point. Which do you guys value more - being able to play a game 1 or 2 years earlier, or waiting and then being able to play through a game for the first time with enhanced visuals, free online, and the various features that PC has?

MikeM

I always wait for the DF review. Unlike others, i’m perfectly happy playing the console version so long as its got good image quality and is minimum 60fps. I main a PS5 and a 7900xt PC for reference, so I know what image quality is like on a high-end PC.
I’ve been generally pleased with the console versions but have held out on FF XVI because the 60fps mode was blurry and ran like shit.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Voted for the last one, but I don't care all that much about "tracing all the rays". Will be playing TLOUIII and Horizon III on the PS5 cuz I'm not going to be waiting 2-3 years for PC release.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Ultimately just wait for PC. I went PC + PS4 + Switch last gen and my Switch mostly collected dust after BOTW came out and I only ended up buying like 8 games for PS4. They're now all on PC and play better on PC, besides Bloodborne.

This gen, Ragnarok is the only non PC game out I want, but I'll play that soon enough on PC. Since everything comes to PC, consoles are kind of dead to me. I have a Series X in the living room for the kids and their cousins/friends when they're over, but that's about it.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I bought this on PS5 and enjoyed it, but knowing what I know now I would have just waited for a PC port since the PS5 version is held back technically.
You're going to be chasing that dragon forever.

nemiroff

Gold Member
There are very few console exclusive games that interest me. But if there is, I just buy the PC version dirt cheap on sale.

Last edited:

tusharngf

Day 1 releases are often broken and require 2-3 patches. Its better to wait for GOTY edition with all DLC

Last edited:

StereoVsn

It really depends on my interest in a game. Nether is set in stone.
Yep. There is no chance I am willing to wait for a year or more for FFVII Rebirth or say Ghost of Tsushima 2 when it releases.

But for FFXVI or GTA I don’t really care so it’s fine. Spider-Man 2 is the same as well. So it really depends on the game.

GreatnessRD

I'm in full wait mode these days. And I am still patiently waiting for Gran Turismo, MLB The Show, and Ghost of Tsushima on my PC in all its glory.

Leonidas

I'll wait for PC. Its great running games at 120 FPS or higher. My enjoyment of games increases with higher, more stable frames per second.

Many console games are stuck at 60 FPS (or sometimes worse). I wouldn't pay $50-$70 for the console experience.

No console "timed" exclusive game came out in the past 8 years where I thought I had to have it immediately.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is gaming forum
we are elite hobbyists.
I have a hard time imagining someone here who waits for 2-10 years for a pc release rather than buy a 150€ ps4 to play bloodborne.

Where is the 3rd option “I go where games are and don’t wait for years to have the games come to me”. Wait for pc because 120fps is the most pathetic excuse and is the most anti gamer statement ever. It doesn’t matter that much. Surely 120fps shouldn’t matter more than a fucking game.

And if you don’t feel the hype for big new releases, I fail to see how is this your main hobby.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Day 1 releases are often broken and require 2-3 patches. Its better to wait for GOTY edition with all DLC
Oh yeah. That’s a load of bs.
On pc maybe but on ps5, I don’t think I’ve seen a release that wasn’t playable 1.0. And if it had some issues, it took max 1-2 months to patch up. Waiting 1-2 years for goty edition is nonsense.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There are very few console exclusive games that interest me. But if there is, I just buy the PC version dirt cheap on sale.
Here we go.
Pc gamers waiting for big sales and often piracy. That’s why we don’t see more games earning their sequel.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I always wait for the DF review. Unlike others, i’m perfectly happy playing the console version so long as its got good image quality and is minimum 60fps. I main a PS5 and a 7900xt PC for reference, so I know what image quality is like on a high-end PC.
I’ve been generally pleased with the console versions but have held out on FF XVI because the 60fps mode was blurry and ran like shit.
It’s your choice but if 60fps is more important to you than awaited game, I can’t understand that. Especially that ff16 30fps mode is quite good

Tarnpanzer

• If the image quality on console is decent, and I cannot wait, I play on console. Latest example for this is GoW:R.
  • If the image quality on console is decent, but I can wait, I will wait for a PC-Version. Latest example for this is Spider-Man 2.
  • If the image quality on console is bad, I will always wait for a PC-Version. Latest example for this is FFXVI.

Last edited:

Aion002

I rather play now than wait.

Also, I don't really care about playing the best version of something, for example:

I am playing Cyberpunk 2077 on the Series S and I own a PS5, I had bought the game on Xbox before buying the ps5, I recently tried the trial of the PS5 version and indeed the game looks and plays better than on the Series S, but I don't care.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No such thing in any game.
This gen is especially bad for 30fps releases but ff16 gets the responsiveness and motion blur correct to make 30fps fine.
For example, compare 30fps in demons souls remake to bloodborne and it's almost unplayable while bloodborne is very responsive.
it's all in your brain. I've made a good choice of never even trying out the 60fps mode in f16.

Midn1ght

This is gaming forum
we are elite

G7r9I8p.png

nkarafo

I never play games day one, even on PC. Unless word of mouth ensures it's stable and performs well, which is very rare nowadays.

I'm still waiting on Cyberpunk and No Man's Sky as i know they are still getting better with time.

Senua

This is gaming forum
we are elite hobbyists.
I have a hard time imagining someone here who waits for 2-10 years for a pc release rather than buy a 150€ ps4 to play bloodborne.

Where is the 3rd option “I go where games are and don’t wait for years to have the games come to me”. Wait for pc because 120fps is the most pathetic excuse and is the most anti gamer statement ever. It doesn’t matter that much. Surely 120fps shouldn’t matter more than a fucking game.

And if you don’t feel the hype for big new releases, I fail to see how is this your main hobby.
I played Bloodborne on PS4, I still want it on PC because it ran and looked like shite on PS4. Also makes access way easier

Hohenheim

If its a game I really look forward to, i'll play day one even if its only on console. But I always prefer PC.
IF the game is 30fps on console I definitly wait for PC.
Luckily, there's very few games of interest that don't come on PC day one.
The next one for me is FF7 rebirth, which i'll play on console.
As for GTA6 i'll probably wait for a PC version, if I even bother at all.

Last edited:

thief183

This is ridiculous. 30fps shouldn’t make or break the game.
Not really, 30 fps game is a no buy for me too, I'll tell you more, even if there is the option is a no buy for me, cause it means that the game is not created with 60 fps in mind.

Fredrik

Depends on the game tbh but I have noticed I always regret getting a console version instead of waiting for the pc release.
Yeah same here, and then I often end up double dipping 😕
My strategy from last year is to try to wait for PC versions. Wish the waiting were shorter but it is what it is. Currently waiting on Spider-Man 2 and FFXVI. Hoping for some mod capability bonus.

Guilty_AI

I rarely get excited enough for a game that i'd buy it day 1 so waiting for me is no issue, though the reason i wait is usually sales related rather than to wait for enhancements.

Fredrik

Every time I panned the camera around in FFXVI it was like the icons on screen went to double vision. It was distracting as hell. 30FPS flat out sucks on OLED.
Yeah I can’t unsee the stutter when the screen moves sideways in 30fps games, there is no motion clarity, and it’s no better when they try to hide it with motion blur no matter how fancy it is, and OLED or LCD makes no difference for me.

Laptop1991

We have to wait anyway either for fixes to broken products released or for features and mechanics missing from the games that should have been in from the start, so i would rarther wait as that's what i'm doing anyway, it took Cyberpunk 3 years, Starfield could be the same plus other titles, it's normal now, you get a better experience and should be cheaper as well.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Well 30 fps is trash, so if I can get 60+ on pc I'd rather wait, I don't have fomo or a lack of impulse control.
However when it comes to stability, I'd generally pick that over better graphics, so if the game runs like shit on pc, I just get it on console as long as it has a performance mode.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
We have to wait anyway either for fixes to broken products released or for features and mechanics missing from the games that should have been in from the start, so i would rarther wait as that's what i'm doing anyway, it took Cyberpunk 3 years, Starfield could be the same plus other titles, it's normal now, you get a better experience and should be cheaper as well.
Cyberpunk was fully playable on pc day1. It’s not that much different comparing main Campaign.
You didn’t had to wait for shit to experience the game.
Unless ps4 version… that was a mistake and not the norm.

Most games are playable day1 and not worth waiting years to get into. If anything major is broken it takes few days or weeks to fix. Bigger problems = game is just bad.

Skifi28

Buy on console to play day one and get trophies, buy on PC years later for cheap as a "keep forever" version.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Every time I panned the camera around in FFXVI it was like the icons on screen went to double vision. It was distracting as hell. 30FPS flat out sucks on OLED.
That’s why you don’t disable motion blur in games on oled. Ff16 Motion blur is great. Almost as good as uncharted 4.

I am surprised by people power standing 60fps or nothing in this thread.
It’s not what this topic is about.

If you are skipping games on release not because you would like to play them but 30fps sucks… then I am worried you have bigger problems. Sure 30 is not ideal but it shouldn’t be game stopper if the games is great and there is no other version.
30fps was not a problem for rdr2 and millions of 10/10 scores it got.

Plenty of other games to play. I'm not buying 2-3 consoles for a few exclusive games anymore plus a PC. Screw that. Nintendo is the only platform with exclusives worth a damn anyway. PS games are coming to PC, and so are Xbox... I'll play other games in the meantime.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
That’s why you don’t disable motion blur in games on oled. Ff16 Motion blur is great. Almost as good as uncharted 4.

I am surprised by people power standing 60fps or nothing in this thread.
It’s not what this topic is about.

If you are skipping games on release not because you would like to play them but 30fps sucks… then I am worried you have bigger problems. Sure 30 is not ideal but it shouldn’t be game stopper if the games is great and there is no other version.
30fps was not a problem for rdr2 and millions of 10/10 scores it got.
Motion blur doesn’t fix the issue, and the responsiveness can’t be addressed by that type of post-processing. I spent like $750 on the first gsync monitor on the market like 10 years ago because I wanted high refresh rate, no screen tearing and no input lag. I can definitely wait a bit for a definitive version of a game, considering how much there’s out there to play right now

Laptop1991

Cyberpunk was fully playable on pc day1. It’s not that much different comparing main Campaign.
You didn’t had to wait for shit to experience the game.
Unless ps4 version… that was a mistake and not the norm.

Most games are playable day1 and not worth waiting years to get into. If anything major is broken it takes few days or weeks to fix. Bigger problems = game is just bad.
Cyberpunk was playable with issues though, maybe not so much technical on PC, but certain Gameplay issues like police chases etc, I bought CP2077 only 2 months after release in February 2021 for just 20 quid it was discounted that much, sorry i do not agree with you that most games come out without issues on PC, not the so called bigger ones anyway, it's been in the news quite a bit in the last year alone. just look at Starfield!.

Last edited:
Top Bottom