• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Timed Releases and Console vs PC

Which do you value more - playing a game 1 or 2 years sooner, or having enhanced visuals?

• Let me play on day one - FOMO + tomorrow isn't guaranteed

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I'll wait to play on PC - I want to trace ALL the rays

Votes: 56 70.9%

• Total voters

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
In the past I would have given into FOMO and just buy the game where ever it's available but now I run buy different rules.

I will buy a game Day 1 only if it's a multiplayer game that I will be playing with my IRL friends an example of these purchases have been Pay Day 3 and Diablo 4.

Everything else is either wait for a discount on PC or wait for a PC release the only exception to this are either games I want to support like the Dead Space remake or staples of my gaming life like any entry in the Monster Hunter series.

Denton

At any given time there are more games I want to play than I can find the time to play, so I don't really care if a game comes out same time on all platforms or with some delay.

However, what does grind my gears, is Rockstar's shitty policy of pretending PC does not exist when they announce their games, only to inevitably announce it later. Just be honest up front, fuckers.

Killjoy-NL

Buy on console to play day one and get trophies, buy on PC years later for cheap as a "keep forever" version.
I never understood this logic.

Not saying this goes for you, but it always comes across like the double-dip on PC years later is just a way to try and validate the expenses of PC gaming.

Skifi28

I never understood this logic.

Not saying this goes for you, but it always comes across like the double-dip on PC years later is just a way to try and validate the expenses of PC gaming.
Think of it this way, would you rather fire up your PS3 that might or might not work, is still stuck at 720p, might not even have an online store still to re-download your games or just play the the PC version of a PS3 game at your native res. Buying the PC version is basically future-proofing yourself, I can't trust Sony to have BC working properly far into the future.

simpatico

PC, but not to trace rays. So the game doesn't leave me depending on backwards compat or holding on to dead hardware to replay. Console games start dissolving the second you buy them.

Killjoy-NL

Think of it this way, would you rather fire up your PS3 that might or might not work, is still stuck at 720p, might not even have an online store still to re-download your games or just play the the PC version of a PS3 game at your native res. Buying the PC version is basically future-proofing yourself, I can't trust Sony to have BC working properly far into the future.
I don't know, tbh.

Singleplayer games are one and done for me, personally.
I never felt the need to replay games.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If you have low standards then sure thing. 60fps is the minimum for me. I won't refuse to play a 30fps btw, like if GTA6 doesn't come with a 60 mode I'll play it at 30, but I won't be happy about it!
It's not low standards. I hate when someone talks about "low standards". It's really triggering for me.
I was one of the first to get 240hz gsync (still tn) monitor. I love vrr andhigh refresh rate... god I even had 120hz eizo crt in late 90s/early 2000s.

Playing console game at 30fps is not about having "low standards". It's about choice and accepting your fan above technical stuff. Maybe my brain is more mailable but I adapt to 30fps rather quickly, even on oled when fact - it is a bit more stutter. It is especially more stutter in panning shots in 24hz movies. not as bad in 30fps games, especially with motion blur.
I am more of a stickler for 4k and perfect image quality. I don't like aliasing...

Well - let's say that you have your own pet peeve and I have mine. We can probably deal with that

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
If I feel like there is a 1% chance a game will come to PC I will wait for it every time. Switch games I buy physical.

Senua

It's not low standards. I hate when someone talks about "low standards". It's really triggering for me.
I was one of the first to get 240hz gsync (still tn) monitor. I love vrr andhigh refresh rate... god I even had 120hz eizo crt in late 90s/early 2000s.

Playing console game at 30fps is not about having "low standards". It's about choice and accepting your fan above technical stuff. Maybe my brain is more mailable but I adapt to 30fps rather quickly, even on oled when fact - it is a bit more stutter. It is especially more stutter in panning shots in 24hz movies. not as bad in 30fps games, especially with motion blur.
I am more of a stickler for 4k and perfect image quality. I don't like aliasing...

Well - let's say that you have your own pet peeve and I have mine. We can probably deal with that
Ok, lower standards. It's not an insult at all it's just objectively true that we have a different level of standard for persistence motion blur. I cannot stand 30ps on my OLED, it's horrible to look at and I always notice it.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
If you are skipping games on release not because you would like to play them but 30fps sucks… then I am worried you have bigger problems.
It's the other way around, being able to wait for something that is quantifiably superior is not a negative personality trait, patience is a virtue etc.
If you aren't able to wait, then you probably have the bigger problems, it's how kids are tested on impulse control; you can have one of this now, or you wait till I get back and then you can have 5!
Many kids fail this test because their brains are incomplete and can only quantify short term gratification:

As an adult however you should be able to control your impulses. That or you are terminally ill and you want to play it before you die or some shit, otherwise I see no reason not to opt for the better experience.

Zathalus

Here we go.
Pc gamers waiting for big sales and often piracy. That’s why we don’t see more games earning their sequel.
As been pointed out to you before, PC games sell quite well, often times being the number one selling version of a game. BG3 sold 16 million on Steam alone, Elden Ring almost 14 million. Capcom, Activision and Bethesda all make more money on PC then all the consoles combined. Even 2 year old Sony ports sell 2-4 million on Steam.

yamaci17

That’s why you don’t disable motion blur in games on oled. Ff16 Motion blur is great. Almost as good as uncharted 4.

I am surprised by people power standing 60fps or nothing in this thread.
It’s not what this topic is about.

If you are skipping games on release not because you would like to play them but 30fps sucks… then I am worried you have bigger problems. Sure 30 is not ideal but it shouldn’t be game stopper if the games is great and there is no other version.
30fps was not a problem for rdr2 and millions of 10/10 scores it got.
thats the stupid part of it. you get oled to get super good response times that allow higher motion clarity in motion. you need higher frames per second to ensure and support high motion clarity that screen can provide.

you're practically acting like motion clarity is not something one should care. you may not care for it, but some of us do. I do not say I won't play a game at 30 FPS but either way it is bad. just because motion blur or sample and hold blur cover the juddery nature of 30 fps doesn't mean it fixes the problem. it just replaces the problem with another one. either way, there's no winning with 30 fps in terms of motion clarity. saying oled 30 fps is fine with motion blur goes directly against the idea/logic behind the oled aside from the colors.

i think deep down you hate that ps5 is unable to get the most of your TV and that's ok. there's nothing wrong admitting that. if you enable motion blur to destroy motion clarity so that you hinder your screen's ability to show frames with their true form and shape, there's no problem with that. if i had the budget to get that kind of a OLED screen, I'd keep supplementing with a 80-90 tier card every 2 year and always go for PC versions of games (or get 70 tier card with 4 year cadence)

i'm not saying you cannot enjoy games like alan wake 2 or ff xvi at 30 fps. they're only enjoyable to me in terms of graphics at 30 fps when you stand still. and that works to some extend, at least then you see what the game is supposed to look like. but 60+ fps and beyond enables that experience at all times, for all the times you move the camera. there can be NOTHING wrong for someone to WAIT for that privilege. it adds a lot to the experience

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I rarely day 1 games any more. FOMO doesn't play into it for me. I prefer to wait until I have time to play a game. Then I'll pick it up for whatever platform provides the best experience.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
thats the stupid part of it. you get oled to get super good response times that allow higher motion clarity in motion. you need higher frames per second to ensure and support high motion clarity that screen can provide.

you're practically acting like motion clarity is not something one should care. you may not care for it, but some of us do. I do not say I won't play a game at 30 FPS but either way it is bad. just because motion blur or sample and hold blur cover the juddery nature of 30 fps doesn't mean it fixes the problem. it just replaces the problem with another one. either way, there's no winning with 30 fps in terms of motion clarity. saying oled 30 fps is fine with motion blur goes directly against the idea/logic behind the oled aside from the colors.

i think deep down you hate that ps5 is unable to get the most of your TV and that's ok. there's nothing wrong admitting that. if you enable motion blur to destroy motion clarity so that you hinder your screen's ability to show frames with their true form and shape, there's no problem with that. if i had the budget to get that kind of a OLED screen, I'd keep supplementing with a 80-90 tier card every 2 year and always go for PC versions of games (or get 70 tier card with 4 year cadence)

i'm not saying you cannot enjoy games like alan wake 2 or ff xvi at 30 fps. they're only enjoyable to me in terms of graphics at 30 fps when you stand still. and that works to some extend, at least then you see what the game is supposed to look like. but 60+ fps and beyond enables that experience at all times, for all the times you move the camera. there can be NOTHING wrong for someone to WAIT for that privilege. it adds a lot to the experience
Dude I have a fucking pc with a 3080. I could get a 4090 tomorrow if I wanted. You ever managed to imagine that I really don't fucking care about it and I am comfortable with how it is?
I am "using the full tv" every day. Like, you would think I have 120hz output in windows and I paly pc games often. You really think I cap games to 30fps on my pc? I've not played a pc game in last 4 years that wouldn't run at least 60fps or more with vrr and if it doesn't, I lower some settings. The claim that "i hate my ps5 because it doesn't allow me to use my tv at full" is nonsense. It might be the worst statement I've ever read from you. You realize there are 4k and 120fps games on ps5? even with vrr?
I just like playing on a console. 30fps or not. enjoy the experience as opposed to pc, making me feel like I am being fucked in the ass from all sides for wanting to have a "better" experience.
There are other things that matter after you play video games for 30 years. I cared about 60fps just as much as you do now... when I was a teen. That's the time I would say "I won't play 30fps game".
30 is just fine with motion blur. That's why motion blur exists. Even at 60fps you still need it.
There is enough motion clarity. I am not playing cs go. I am playing immersive games more often than not and I always like using good motion blur, be it on lcd or now on oled.
Just as filming with high shutter speed looks unnatural and jerky. It is a standard to film with shutter speed = 2x of fps for a reason. Film water with high shutter speed and it looks completely different compared to seen by eye.

Now, 30 or 60 is absolutely not enough to cheat your brain/eyes. There are gaps between the frames in the image which is displayed on a flat surface and not actually moving. 240hz+ really does help but you are still looking at a flat screen. So to fix that, despite not adding more frames, motion blur makes every frame blurry to create a more believable illusion of motion. If you wave your hand in front of your face, look outside the car on the road below or even just rotate in place very fast, it's also blurry. People have unrealistic view on how sharp motion clarity should be.
Even if you recorded a movie at 240fps and viewed it on a 240hz monitor, it would not look correct compared to reality. Your eyes focus on what you are following with them. If you look at the hand, it's sharp, if you look at the background, hand is blurry. you are matching velocities.

Now yes, oled has additional problem because frames do not overpersist over one another. So it's a bit trickier but the right good kind of motion blur still helps. Of course the end results is MORE blurry than it should be but it's better than jitter for me.
For me also, the image quality, black and hdr are more important. Because as I've said - I play immersive games. in a immersive way.

And many games at least have 40fps mode which almost totally fixes the 30fps issue. it's much better on oled. but if there is no choice, I will play at 30, get used to it in 15 minutes - and I promise you, I won't notice it until I enable 60fps mode to compare again. Your brain is naturally that good at adjusting. It's not that much worse than 30fps on old lcd montiors. It is even a bit better when it comes to other aspects.

Idk if there isn't nothing wrong with someone skipping years of gaming because he waits for a 60fps version or some other technical benefit. Imo it's nonsense. Just play the fucking game and you can play it again in 7 years when there is a better version. Why miss out on all the hype and excitement if THIS IS YOUR HOBBY.

nikos

There are some games I don't wait to play, such as the ones in the original post.

I absolutely can't stand having to play compromised console versions but I want to at least experience the games before double dipping on PC.

I don't remember the last game I actually finished on console. The last console exclusive I bought was FFXVI. I played it for 25 hours and I'm currently waiting for a PC version.

Guess publishers have succeeded in getting some of us to pay for the same game twice.

MikeM

By definition its lower minimum standards. If I refuse to drive anything lower than an Audi, but you have no problem driving a Chevy, then you have lower minimum standards (there’s nothing wrong with that).

FPS, and/or anything else, is no different. It all depends on the person.

tusharngf

Oh yeah. That’s a load of bs.
On pc maybe but on ps5, I don’t think I’ve seen a release that wasn’t playable 1.0. And if it had some issues, it took max 1-2 months to patch up. Waiting 1-2 years for goty edition is nonsense.
I got most games after a 3-4 month launch period and collected GOTY edition for most Bethesda games. I can wait as long as I want for single-player games. I am not into FOMO or in a hurry mode. I can't stand performance issues and bugs at all. For racing games i do buy the game early due to multiplayer lobbies but thats it. I have tons of backlog and i don't need any game at launch.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This one is hard. I still like having the console to see what it is all about, but it is a fucking waste. I have kids too so they can use it. But really I use the PS5 for exclusives and there are not many of them. It's basically shelling out 600 + to get something you could play in 2 years in a better form.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No game is doing things I haven’t seen already, so I have no problem with waiting.

Waiting is a rare thing though, as everything either hits PC day and date, or is PC first.

Senua

Dude I have a fucking pc with a 3080. I could get a 4090 tomorrow if I wanted. You ever managed to imagine that I really don't fucking care about it and I am comfortable with how it is?
I am "using the full tv" every day. Like, you would think I have 120hz output in windows and I paly pc games often. You really think I cap games to 30fps on my pc? I've not played a pc game in last 4 years that wouldn't run at least 60fps or more with vrr and if it doesn't, I lower some settings. The claim that "i hate my ps5 because it doesn't allow me to use my tv at full" is nonsense. It might be the worst statement I've ever read from you. You realize there are 4k and 120fps games on ps5? even with vrr?
I just like playing on a console. 30fps or not. enjoy the experience as opposed to pc, making me feel like I am being fucked in the ass from all sides for wanting to have a "better" experience.
There are other things that matter after you play video games for 30 years. I cared about 60fps just as much as you do now... when I was a teen. That's the time I would say "I won't play 30fps game".
30 is just fine with motion blur. That's why motion blur exists. Even at 60fps you still need it.
There is enough motion clarity. I am not playing cs go. I am playing immersive games more often than not and I always like using good motion blur, be it on lcd or now on oled.
Just as filming with high shutter speed looks unnatural and jerky. It is a standard to film with shutter speed = 2x of fps for a reason. Film water with high shutter speed and it looks completely different compared to seen by eye.

Now, 30 or 60 is absolutely not enough to cheat your brain/eyes. There are gaps between the frames in the image which is displayed on a flat surface and not actually moving. 240hz+ really does help but you are still looking at a flat screen. So to fix that, despite not adding more frames, motion blur makes every frame blurry to create a more believable illusion of motion. If you wave your hand in front of your face, look outside the car on the road below or even just rotate in place very fast, it's also blurry. People have unrealistic view on how sharp motion clarity should be.
Even if you recorded a movie at 240fps and viewed it on a 240hz monitor, it would not look correct compared to reality. Your eyes focus on what you are following with them. If you look at the hand, it's sharp, if you look at the background, hand is blurry. you are matching velocities.

Now yes, oled has additional problem because frames do not overpersist over one another. So it's a bit trickier but the right good kind of motion blur still helps. Of course the end results is MORE blurry than it should be but it's better than jitter for me.
For me also, the image quality, black and hdr are more important. Because as I've said - I play immersive games. in a immersive way.

And many games at least have 40fps mode which almost totally fixes the 30fps issue. it's much better on oled. but if there is no choice, I will play at 30, get used to it in 15 minutes - and I promise you, I won't notice it until I enable 60fps mode to compare again. Your brain is naturally that good at adjusting. It's not that much worse than 30fps on old lcd montiors. It is even a bit better when it comes to other aspects.

Idk if there isn't nothing wrong with someone skipping years of gaming because he waits for a 60fps version or some other technical benefit. Imo it's nonsense. Just play the fucking game and you can play it again in 7 years when there is a better version. Why miss out on all the hype and excitement if THIS IS YOUR HOBBY.
Your low standards are showing bro

Celcius

°Temp. member
These days I find myself preferring to play games on day one. If it's available on PC day one then I grab that but otherwise I grab the console version if that's the only choice. Last gen I was PC only and I remember waiting years later to play stuff like FF15 until it came to PC.
Over the weekend I was considering whether I want to start just waiting for the PC versions of games but then I was looking through the screenshots I took on my PS5 and remembered the games still look fantastic and I had a great time.

GTA6 I'm really on the fence about - I've always bought GTA games on playstation and I'd prefer not to wait, but on the other hand I wonder if I'll want to do multiplayer at all and how significant the graphical difference will be.

Last edited:

yamaci17

These days I find myself preferring to play games on day one. If it's available on PC day one then I grab that but otherwise I grab the console version if that's the only choice. Last gen I was PC only and I remember waiting years later to play stuff like FF15 until it came to PC.
Over the weekend I was considering whether I want to start just waiting for the PC versions of games but then I was looking through the screenshots I took on my PS5 and remembered the games still look fantastic and I had a great time.
well this question will resonate differently for different folks

if you already have a ps5 indeed, I see no point of waiting as well

BUT from my perspective, I would not go out of my way to get a PS5 to experience them the 1st day. so if i have a ps5: yeah, I'd play them on PS5, probably. if i don't, I won't get a PS5 for it.

and for gta 6, I won't get a PS5. i will bide my time like I did with gta 5. 0 spoilers. i've managed to stay spoiler free for last of us part 1 for 7 years (from 2013 to 2020) having no playstation user friends help

Puscifer

My backlog is large, I'm indifferent towards timing since generally speaking I wait till most games are 40 bucks and under to save money since I know so many aren't worth the cash, especially with 70 dollars and DLC being the norm (screw that shit lol). And I know everyone is so ready for GTA VI but I have to say after RDR 2 being not good I'm cautious about 6 till it's released.

bender

What time is it?
I'm not sure I care about either these days. I've been mostly fine with the level of graphics since the PS2 era and I often find that giving a resolution and performance bump to previous generation games more than satisfies me. Pushing the envelope with graphics technology these days is so expensive that it has diluted the hobby. As far as day-one is concerned, that's not really that important to me either as my backlog is huge not to mention subscription services. I do like supporting the games/developers that I care about, so I usually buy those at full price.

Sybrix

PC is my main platform, i dont have a PS5, ill get a PS5 for GTAVI.

I'm happy to wait for the PS games to come to PC a year or 2 later, so far the PS games that have come to PC have been pretty solid in terms of performance and stability.

I'd rather wait for an optimized game.

Fredrik

I’ve been a typical day 1 gamer. But after improved PC ports arriving before I’ve even finished the console version one time too many I threw in the towel.
Now I wait for the PC ports.

Plus, it’s easier to hide away from the family to play violent games in the PC room than in the living room.

And I have a Steam Deck for some comfy bed gaming.

Pejo

I wait for PC versions, but it has nothing to do with maxing settings. I just like paying less/free online and having the ability to customize my experience, whether through ways/hardware to play the games (Deck, laptop, desktop, Linux, Windows, etc), or mods to enhance the experience. I also like only having to worry about a single platform to play all of my games. Since more and more newer games don't interest me anymore, emulators have been my lifeblood for gaming the past few years, and I've been replaying a ton of games that I own on SNES/Genesis.

I'm still waiting for that perfect scanlines filter though, or I guess finding a decent CRT at Goodwill or something.

Top Bottom