• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Hail Trump!': White Nationalists Salute the President Elect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmax3901

Because Hydra is a secret nazi organization that has a lot of influence and power. (Well in the MCU that is)

So I guess people are comparing the growing influence of nazi's/alt-right/white supremacists to the growing influence of Hydra.

Well yeah but Hail Hydra is just referencing Heil Hitler so it seems redundant to compare Hail Trump to Hail Hydra when Hail Hydra is just referencing Heil Hitler. Also Hydra is fictional so it kinda makes light of the fact we have actual Nazis running around.

Par Score

I am reminded, fairly regularly now, of all those times in the past Americans have mockingly disparaged Germany's ban on Nazi symbolism, or have quailed at the thought of Holocaust denial being banned, because the banning of such was an attack on "free speech".

Well this is where that road has lead. The open adoption and support of Nazi symbolism and Nazi policies.

If you give Nazis the oxygen of publicity it does not dim them, they burn brighter. If you expose Nazis to the daylight of open debate it does not burn them, it lets them grow and spread. Fascism is not something to be understood, argued, or reasoned with. Fascism must be fought.

Chuckie

Well yeah but Hail Hydra is just referencing Heil Hitler so it seems redundant to compare Hail Trump to Hail Hydra when Hail Hydra is just referencing Heil Hitler. Also Hydra is fictional so it kinda makes light of the fact we have actual Nazis running around.

The hail Hydra meme was already going on before the actual hail Trump happened I think. It has become a bit redundant though.
The joke was Trump and his associates resembled an evil secret nazi organization. The reality has become more absurd than the joke when there are real nazis supporting him and shouting Hail Trump

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Cx0TImhWQAERJSX.jpg:large

Nope, still not neo-nazis. Just an unfortunate photograph of a singular moment.

Reading comments on Youtube and Facebook (I know...), most alt-right supporters are saying:

"it was only a few hands out of many, Richard is /not/ a white supremacist!"

He was shouting "Heil", ffs...

Its the same pattern as we have in germany (and probably in other countries) with our neonazis. Relativising to keep their reputation in politics on a serious level, while sympathising and beeing supported with/by dumb lemmings even in militant groups.

Dude this isn't even real. I am trying to help you and be nice. Stop reading whatever garbage you have been reading.

People are asking to be equal. It is not an attack.

I am trying to be nice ..... I dont believe any of that shit ... I am only trying to understand how some of these people think!

Please try and understand when I tell you I agree with equality for all.

But there has been a perception by some that when they hear that white people have privilege ..... ok they might not be vicitmised by their colour of skin by police but they still get mudered by them, they still live in poverty etc and so on.

Of course minorites deal with that and more ..... but still when these people are down and out they will be looking to survive, not hear they are privileged and have it good, they are looking out for themselves.

The messaging of the left in how it has been put out there by some has only helped turn some of these people away. That is what I have been trying to say, I didnt read any garbage, so maybe less condescension. You might not agree and thats fair enough.

PulseONE

It's scary how in such a short time my view of America went from "not perfect but far more social equality for people than were I live" to "nope nope nope not going there again"

Seriously, its terrifying how all of this was waiting just below the surface...

Maebe

I find it laughable they think white europeans will live in harmony together and not argue over who is actually white and who else to exclude.

Is this still freedom of speech? Can you question if jews are human without consequences in usa?

Yes it's still freedom of speech. There are no consequences from the government. If everything worked like some people's forefathers envisioned, the people would have kept speech like this in check. But America dived head first into the "all views deserve equal consideration and a platform."

Yes it's still freedom of speech. There are no consequences from the government. If everything worked like some people's forefathers envisioned, the people would have kept speech like this in check. But America dived head first into the "all views deserve equal consideration and a platform."

Ok, thanks for the info. Do you think the freedom of speech is cut huge when you forbid that racist, homophobe damgogues can pray their misanthropic hate?

Seik

Banned
I can't believe this is actually happening.

I hope some people that blindly voted Trump now look at this and have their heads in their palms like ''What the fuck have I done?!''

Miles X

I swear to god every fucking dem/dem leaning indie better turn out in 2020 (2018 is too much to hope for)

And then see strict laws put in place for these people.

Free speech and free speech within media does not work.

Ok, thanks for the info. Do you think the freedom of speech is cut huge when you forbid that racist, homophobe damgogues can pray their misanthropic hate?

Problem is I don't trust our government when it comes to limiting speech. Example being our new incoming administration would be less about curbing sexist/homophobic/racist speech and would be more about curbing everyone speaking out against them.

Our conservative party are way too powerful to start allowing the government to trample over freedom of speech, it would be abused immediately much like pretty much every right we've walked back on.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Can we also put the idea to rest that they said "Hail" and not literally the German "Heil"?
Cause that's what they say. And yes, there is a difference.

Problem is I don't trust our government when it comes to limiting speech. Example being our new incoming administration would be less about curbing sexist/homophobic/racist speech and would be more about curbing everyone speaking out against them.

Our conservative party are way too powerful to start allowing the government to trample over freedom of speech, it would be abused immediately much like pretty much every right we've walked back on.

Yes i can understand this, its a very sensible fundamental right that can easily be abused. But on the other side, can it be a free ticket to praise hatred and spread evil ideologies?

You cant change fundamental rights like maybe traffic laws or something, but there must be a possibility to get a consensus in a nation to restrict a right in a way to preserve people from abusing this hard fought fundamental right.

EloKa

they literally said "Hail / Heil Victory" which was the most used and #1 slogan under the Nazi regime during the world war. You can't be any more obvious than this.

Yes i can understand this, its a very sensible fundamental right that can easily be abused. But on the other side, can it be a free ticket to praise hatred and spread evil ideologies?

You cant change fundamental rights like maybe traffic laws or something, but there must be a possibility to get a consensus in a nation to restrict a right in a way to preserve people from abusing this hard fought fundamental right.

I'd love to take a Germany approach and flat out ban Nazi talk even coded. But when you open that door you can never close it again. Other groups and interest will want certain speech banned. When 1/2 of the voting population believe in flat out lies such a changing of a right no matter how small can be abused.

Example, if Trump said blacks were organizing to kill white people under the guise of BLM; news networks would "debate" it which normalizes that lie and in turn make it "truth" to the conservatives. Then a vote would be cast, should be curb BLM type movements? And boom, we now have a ban on that. And the reason for that is that moderate America doesn't care enough to stop such. They believe in the system so fully and blindly that they would never fight or vote against it (or vote at all).

E-Cat

What are YOU going to do when they knock on your door? They are coming. Maybe not tomorrow, but maybe the day after that.

This is easily scarier than any of the days after 9/11 and all of us are worried about whether we were fucking nice enough to poor white folks in Michigan.
Don't worry; they specifically said 'peaceful' ethnic cleansing.

Dehnus

I'm really rethinking my non-violent beliefs.

Welcome to the club, born and raised hippie.. Third and generation from a commune. And even I realized that the battle lines have been drawn. Those that choose to be with the KKK marches and the NAZI marches (In Europe too, no matter how they justify it) can no longer be a friend of mine.

I will not go to the camps quietly due to my sexuality. But it feels so hard to give up this streak of non violence too.

But basically, those that voted Trump did so knowing:
A. They will hurt their friends who are gay or a minority and did so anyway.
B. Knew about the KKK marches and NAZI's supporting him.
C. Did anything in their power to tune that out even though it was blatantly obvious.

They choose to make their bed in the home of the "Grand Wizard and His bed fellow the Führer", now they must lie in it!

I'd love to take a Germany approach and flat out ban Nazi talk even coded. But when you open that door you can never close it again. Other groups and interest will want certain speech banned. When 1/2 of the voting population believe in flat out lies such a changing of a right no matter how small can be abused.

Example, if Trump said blacks were organizing to kill white people under the guise of BLM; news networks would "debate" it which normalizes that lie and in turn make it "truth" to the conservatives. Then a vote would be cast, should be curb BLM type movements? And boom, we now have a ban on that. And the reason for that is that moderate America doesn't care enough to stop such. They believe in the system so fully and blindly that they would never fight or vote against it (or vote at all).

I see this is a very complex topic. Im not that far into us history and laws yet, though im interested a lot in it. My topic is more the german history and the political development over the hunderds of years, including the development of its legislative. So im thankful for some backgrounds.

There are many things in the us politics that are kind of strange to me (like death penalty), but its interesting.

Where are all the non-racist non-nazi Trump supporters denouncing the rise of hate crimes and neonazism?

They will say nothing against this.

Classy. How is this even allowed?

Freedom to gather is protected.

I see this is a very complex topic. Im not that far into us history and laws yet, though im interested a lot in it. My topic is more the german history and the political development over the hunderds of years, including the development of its legislative. So im thankful for some backgrounds.

There are many things in the us politics that are kind of strange to me (like death penalty), but its interesting.

Yea it sucks, there is nothing we can do =\

Dehnus

A guy that says he's all for a "peaceful ethnic cleansing" not only gets media attention but is defended by politicians/people with serious right-wing influence?

Jesus christ, America. Good luck these coming four years.

Just America? HAH! Oh wait you're serious.

Do you really think Europe is still special in that it's alt right is "just concerned about refugees" ;). I got news for you, that march they are in? Those are all NAZI's who use Arabic antisemitism (because guess, what, Arabic people are semetic!) as a cloth to hide their FULL antisemitism. Why do you think Putin and his followers go on and on about how the "Jews lie and fund terrorism". It's just the next jug of kool aid, after you finished the current one... laced with poison.

Why do you think every populist in Europe was the first to congratulate Trump? It is a pan western movement! Funded globally and catered to each specific region. They knew it wasn't okay to just downright hate on gay people in the Netherlands? So they let it slide for now, these days there actually is violence again and people questioning the Pride Marches of "Why they still exist, and can't you do that stuff in your own house... gosh disgusting".

It is the same group, the same NAZI base using the SAME "news" sources. Wake up and smell the roses!

M3d10n

Considering our family makeup, no.

I'll show her this though, no doubt. We've gone back and forth over Trump and conservative radio for what feels like forever now.

Like most things, it helps to know some people on the other side, because it helps to overcome crude or simplistic caricatures. No Trump supporter I've known or talked to would be cool with whats in the OP.
There's the possibility that the Trump you know about is different than the Trump she knows about, due to the bolded and its ilk. It's likely your mother, like a large part of America, was sold a very warped version of reality through the heavy filter of the organized conservative media, which devolved into outright propaganda a while ago.

Just America? HAH! Oh wait you're serious.

Do you really think Europe is still special in that it's alt right is "just concerned about refugees" ;). I got news for you, that march they are in? Those are all NAZI's who use Arabic antisemitism (because guess, what, Arabic people are semetic!) as a cloth to hide their FULL antisemitism. Why do you think Putin and his followers go on and on about how the "Jews lie and fund terrorism". It's just the next jug of kool aid, after you finished the current one... laced with poison.

Why do you think every populist in Europe was the first to congratulate Trump? It is a pan western movement! Funded globally and catered to each specific region. They knew it wasn't okay to just downright hate on gay people in the Netherlands? So they let it slide for now, these days there actually is violence again and people questioning the Pride Marches of "Why they still exist, and can't you do that stuff in your own house... gosh disgusting".

It is the same group, the same NAZI base using the SAME "news" sources. Wake up and smell the roses!

This is not correct, maybe you should try to differentiate it a bit on this point. Its more the xenophobic aspect that carries these kind of movements (at least in ger). These movements are full with different people and different needs. They sure are receptive to basic solutions on difficult problems, maybe. But to say they are all nazis and anti semite is not right and doesnt help.

I am trying to be nice ..... I dont believe any of that shit ... I am only trying to understand how some of these people think!

Please try and understand when I tell you I agree with equality for all.

But there has been a perception by some that when they hear that white people have privilege ..... ok they might not be vicitmised by their colour of skin by police but they still get mudered by them, they still live in poverty etc and so on.

Of course minorites deal with that and more ..... but still when these people are down and out they will be looking to survive, not hear they are privileged and have it good, they are looking out for themselves.

The messaging of the left in how it has been put out there by some has only helped turn some of these people away. That is what I have been trying to say, I didnt read any garbage, so maybe less condescension. You might not agree and thats fair enough.
Here's how they think: "I'ma get mine under Trump and if I don't well at least you'll suffer cuz I secretly hate you people!"

E-Cat

I agree but what can we do? This election has proven beyond doubt that Americans just don't give a fuck.
I think that the lack of universal single-payer healthcare already speaks to that. You don't even need to be a racist to not give a fuck about your neighbours.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I swear to god every fucking dem/dem leaning indie better turn out in 2020 (2018 is too much to hope for)

And then see strict laws put in place for these people.

Free speech and free speech within media does not work.

Wow. Just wow.

Free speech does not work? That's a disgraceful position - people need to understand that free speech is a fundamental right, and that even unpopular free speech needs to be protected because of the underlying principles of free speech, not necessarily the content of it.

Banning free speech, insane! The ACLU fights for the right for neo nazi's to get permits and walk down main street - something that all these new members will FREAK OUT about once it happens. They often take VERY unpopular free speech cases to court because of the underlying principles of what they are fighting for, not the specific message.

So yes, we need to hold our damn noses, and protect unpopular speech, and then use a greater force to shout it down.

I don't think media should give these guys a megaphone, but that's not a free speech issue, that's a business decision on why they've allowed hateful assholes like this clown to go on TV.

So direct your anger to the news providers, organize and shout down the stuff you don't believe in, but don't sit there and try to say that free speech in media is something that should be banned or reconsidered.

That's asinine.

Dehnus

I am so over people trying to emphasize that not ALL people who voted for Trump are white nationalists. Of course they aren't. They are just people who are more ok with enabling and encouraging white nationalists than they are with voting for someone who doesn't inspire them.

I am getting a lot more fucking aggro over this election than I thought I would. Like, I find myself hoping to meet these disgusting fuckers on the street.

That's not a healthy way of thinking, or anything even remotely approaching a smart one, for myriad reasons.

But I literally can't get past the "seriously FUCK these people" part of the reasoning process.

Edit: I know my post is immature and not conducive to beneficial discourse. It's just hard to focus on those things right now.

It is not immature, the Germans that voted for Hitler, voted for NAZIs. The People that voted for trump knowingly did so too. There is no way around it. They choose their bed fellows, and now they must lay with them.

Dehnus

Everyone hasnt even delved into the deepest pits of the darkest timeline. Just wait till the actual jihad terrorists who are thrilled by the Trump election commit some serious attack in a year or two. Get ready, once everyone forgets and is all like ' omg its 9/11 again we need to bomb them', thats when all your freedoms will go away. bye byeeeeeee

Jup, people keep forgetting that these fuckers are in all countries with different populist believes. In Indonesia they just rioted because a man quoted something from the Quran. In the Philippines we have Mister Duterte doing his thing. In Japan we have black vans going about with big loud speakers...

Islamic terrorists are nothing more than the middle eastern version of Right Wing Extremists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom