• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 vs Perfect Dark Zero. Fight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo

Banned
Man here we have the two biggest names in console fps history and I can't believe I have not seen a good versus thread on this. Let me be the first to make some WILD predictions based on previous game history. There are 7 main categories i'm going to go by, feel free to add your own. Best single player, best single player replay value, best online multi-player, best offline multiplayer, best graphics, best selling, overall best game.

Best Single player:

Halo 3. AI, vehicles, and better graphics should put Halo 3 over the top. The whole you're in the middle of a war feeling you get with Halo makes it so damn fun.

Best Single player replay value:

PDZ. If Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are anything to go by, you'll want to play the single player game in PDZ over and over again. Different objectives based on difficulty levels will make you play PDZ single player over Halo 3 more.

Best online multiplayer:
Halo 3: I don't think I have to explain why. Bungie will NOT be outdone here.

Best offline multiplayer:
PDZ: The bots and level design in the first two games, made me spend countless months with friends on the multiplayer of Goldeneye in split screen on the 64. Halo's style and maps don't bode well for 2-4 people. PDZ wins.

Best graphics:
Even though I beleive PDZ will look better than what we've seen just the fact that Halo 3 will be a second generation 360 game wins this category by default.

Best sales:
Halo 3....Halo 3 is coming off some kick ass Halo 2 momentum on Xbox. I don't know how much the casuals who picked up Halo 2 are going to know about PDZ to bring it to Halo levels in terms of sales.

Overall:
Halo 3.

Ranger X

I didn't read your post and i say Halo3. lol

Seriously thought, i doubt Halo3 will receive the same amount of time and care that Halo2 had. Be prepared in case the game is deceiving.

Timen

gah, halo will sell more but i've never had any interest for the game so i don't expect halo 3 to keep me busy for a long time.

i wasn't impressed with pdzero at e3 so i'm not looking forward to any of these titles in particular.

Ramirez

Seriously thought, i doubt Halo3 will receive the same amount of time and care that Halo2 had. Be prepared in case the game is deceiving.

Um,dumbest comment ever?

Halo 3 will be counted on to once again be the title that helps push MS into the front against a new Sony system,it won't be half assed.

Ramirez said:
Um,dumbest comment ever?

Halo 3 will be counted on to once again be the title that helps push MS into the front against a new Sony system,it won't be half assed.

You're probably right, but Halo 2 wasn't half-assed, and it still didn't hold up to the first game as far as "wow, this is fun!" factor. Though the reasons vary, for me it was inferior level design that did the game in.

Prine

Banned
Ramirez said:
Um,dumbest comment ever?

indeed. Halo 3 has much more to do than Halo 2, its next gen and all eyes are on Bungie.

God damn i keep forgetting MS have the 2 biggest console FPS franchises on their machine.

Borys

Banned
Prine said:
God damn i keep forgetting MS have the 2 biggest console FPS franchises on their machine.

Quite the deal, eh?

They are basically printing money now.
Halo 3 could be a black & white and muted game and it'd still sell couple of millions, not so sure about PD:0. They have to convince people it's the next big thing in the FPS world.

sangreal

ManDudeChild said:
You're probably right, but Halo 2 wasn't half-assed, and it still didn't hold up to the first game as far as "wow, this is fun!" factor. Though the reasons vary, for me it was inferior level design that did the game in.

Wait.. Are you actually praising Halo 1's level design? I hope you're talking about Multiplayer.

FiRez

sangreal said:
Wait.. Are you actually praising Halo 1's level design? I hope you're talking about Multiplayer.

Shut up!, the level design was great on H:CE

It seems that the people don't understand that the library was a Doom/Serious sam-esque level.

sangreal said:

Yes, I enjoyed the bulk of the levels in the first game, with the exception of the first, second and last, I found them all to be fun trips. Halo 2 design made it feel like a chore to go through each level. I didnt find one that I enjoyed.

BigBoss

FiRez said:
Shut up!, the level design was great on H:CE

It seems that the people don't understand that the library was a Doom/Serious sam-esque level.

That doesn't change the fact that it sucked, even Bungie said so. But I do agree with you that Halo:CE had better level design, there was nothing like the levels Halo, Silent Cartographer, or Assualt on the Control Room in Halo 2.

FiRez

BigBoss said:
That doesn't change the fact that it sucked, even Bungie said so. But I do agree with you that Halo:CE had better level design, there was nothing like the levels Halo, Silent Cartographer, or Assualt on the Control Room in Halo 2.

No surprise that they screwed Halo 2, I think most of the people of wideload games were the leading staff of H:CE.

jimbo said:
Man here we have the two biggest names in console fps history and I can't believe I have not seen a good versus thread on this. Let me be the first to make some WILD predictions based on previous game history. There are 7 main categories i'm going to go by, feel free to add your own. Best single player, best single player replay value, best online multi-player, best offline multiplayer, best graphics, best selling, overall best game.

Best Single player:

Halo 3. AI, vehicles, and better graphics should put Halo 3 over the top. The whole you're in the middle of a war feeling you get with Halo makes it so damn fun.

PDZ. If Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are anything to go by, you'll want to play the single player game in PDZ over and over again. Different objectives based on difficulty levels will make you play PDZ single player over Halo 3 more.

Best online multiplayer:

Best offline multiplayer:
PDZ: The bots and level design in the first two games, made me spend countless months with friends on the multiplayer of Goldeneye in split screen on the 64. Halo's style and maps don't bode well for 2-4 people. PDZ wins.

Best graphics:
Even though I beleive PDZ will look better than what we've seen just the fact that Halo 3 will be a second generation 360 game wins this category by default.

Best sales:
Halo 3....Halo 3 is coming off some kick ass Halo 2 momentum on Xbox. I don't know how much the casuals who picked up Halo 2 are going to know about PDZ to bring it to Halo levels in terms of sales.

Overall:
Halo 3.

Halo, certainly, is one of the biggest franchises in modern gaming. However.. PD? No way. Not even around when it was released. It only sold a million or so at most in the US, compared to like 6 million for GoldenEye. Obviously a million or so are great numbers, but it's not Halo or GoldenEye numbers. There's a lot of people I talk to about games (at work) that hadn't even heard of PD (or simply hadn't played it) but loved GoldenEye.

jimbo

Banned
" Not even around when it was released. It only sold a million or so at most in the US, compared to like 6 million for GoldenEye. Obviously a million or so are great numbers, but it's not Halo or GoldenEye numbers. There's a lot of people I talk to about games (at work) that hadn't even heard of PD (or simply hadn't played it) but loved GoldenEye."

Right, but WE know better. The casuals had no idea that PD was actually the "sequel" to Goldeneye...that's why all those Bond games got such great sales after Goldeneye. So I'm not just going by the sales of PD to call it as one of the biggest names in console fps. I guess you could also say Rare FPS vs Halo 3. It's too bad Nintendo didn't get to keep the Bond liscence back then.

Redbeard

Banned
jimbo said:
Best Single player:

Best online multiplayer:

As for single player, I don't see how you can put replayability in a separate category. Certainly wanting to "play PDZ's single player over Halo 3 more" would make it "Best single player", no?

And I think you give Bungie too much credit as far as multiplayer goes. Halo 2's mp should've done a lot more and been a lot bigger. It should've been like Quake Wars - large scale Human vs Covenant battles. Instead we got a 16 player max limit, no new vehicles, no real strategic/structured multiplayer experience.

jimbo

Banned
"As for single player, I don't see how you can put replayability in a separate category. Certainly wanting to "play PDZ's single player over Halo 3 more" would make it "Best single player", no? "

No. And here's why. You could have a single player experience that's a cinematic, highly captivating experience, just like Halo, but then if nothing's different the second time around, you may not play as much as another game that has a very strong single player experience, but not quite as captivating and awe inspiring, but you have meat that makes you go back and play it to have different objectives, like PDZ. In other words I separated first time play-through and single player replayability so as to show what I believe each game's strong point are.

In Halo all you really got from playing on harder levels was harder enemies, but they didn't change objectives, they didn't change enemies, they didn't do anything different except for a longer ending. I expect this to be no different in Halo 3. While in PDZ it has already been confirmed that it will have different objectives on different difficulty levels.

TheDiave

Banned
Okay, and here I thought this was a useful thread with some real information. Instead, it's the ranting and conjecture of a fanboy... Oh boy!

Can I get back the 20 seconds of my life I just wasted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom