• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Karak

Any game can be summed up in a sentence or two. Doesn't mean it is a good summary :p

The reviews for the campaign story are fairly negative. I don't think people responded to the Locke:Chief ratio well at all.

Ya agreed on both parts. Especially about Locke. The ratio of masterchief Locke is...outputting for some.

Miles X

83 now. Damn. Still a bit to go, but I thought this would be the second highest reviewed Halo game... it's on track to be the worst reviewed Main Halo game... Somehow worse than Halo 4. :(

I'm going to have to eat some crow.

What Xbox game has reviewed well (90+) this gen? I could see this 85 coming a mile off. Not saying it isn't deserved, not play Halo 5 yet, but this was all too predictable.

Reviewers just seem to be way more harsh this generation than last where they handed out 9's and 10's like candy.

85 is a damn good score!

Jolkien

83 now. Damn. Still a bit to go, but I thought this would be the second highest reviewed Halo game... it's on track to be the worst reviewed Main Halo game... Somehow worse than Halo 4. :(

I'm going to have to eat some crow.

It's back to 85. Maybe wait a day , it'll constantly go up or down for a few hours.

KaoticBlaze

Guys, remember to take these reviews with a grain of salt. Just because someone does not like something, that does not mean that we all have to not like it as well. We will all get our own chance to play the game and see for ourselves what we like or don't like. So don't get discouraged by what a couple of reviews are saying. Lets just have fun.

Guys, remember to take these reviews with a grain of salt. Just because someone does not like something, that does not mean that we all have to not like it as well. We will all get our own chance to play the game and see for ourselves what we like or don't like. So don't get discouraged by what a couple of reviews are saying. Lets just have fun.

This. Focus on the text and not the numerical digits.

And remember: opinions

Based on the reviews I've read so far, Locke isn't that popular and it was a mistake to favor him over Chief.

343 failed at portraying blue team well. Not surprised at all by that.

The game is linear like 4, with no big open play spaces like in the older games.

Seems like they pulled a Halo 2 and cut the ending out.

McCaffrey from Ign said 5 is the worse campaign in the series. The story and mission design is a mess. wow

The second and third point can't be more wrong.

Th Destructoid review did say the game was more linear Call of Duty style. Odd, will have to play to see.

That line contradicts with everything we've seen and really can't be taken seriously.

ryan299

I'm honestly worried about the campaign. I thought 4 was the worse in the series and from what I've read it's not looking good.

Kalentan

Idon't know how you would get that impression, there's huge areas all the time that invite you to explore.

That's what I found weird about the Destructoid review. It mentions that they areas are really small while multiple other reviewers say they're a decent amount of large environments.

Skux

My biggest issue with the campaign is one I had with Halo 4 as well - not enough ammo for human weapons. I feel as if I'm constantly running dry on the BR, DMR, and assault rifle which are the weapons I want to use most. This then requires you to pick up weapons from fallen enemies.

That was kind of the point though. You couldn't just stick with one weapon all the time, you had to adjust your strategy based on what was available.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Which is interesting cause I've never felt the stories were the strong point in any Halo games. All can be summed up in a sentence or two. This one feels like the middle of something huge, which it is.
I cannot agree with you on that.

Halo 1 was remarkable for its story. Yes, it can be summed up quickly, but there was a mystery to it and it was engaging to push forward. The introduction of The Flood was one of the best moments in first person shooter history, I feel.

Halo 2 and 3 are a bit over the top but I found myself engaged. Same deal with ODST and Reach, which told self contained tales that were fun to follow. You KNEW what would happen in Reach, but the way it played out was awesome.

I don't think you're giving them enough credit.

That was kind of the point though. You couldn't just stick with one weapon all the time, you had to adjust your strategy based on what was available.
Yeah, but I don't like doing that. The Promethean weapons are better this time, but it just isn't as satisfying to play when using non-human weapons. Bungie's games give you a choice and you decide how to best play. Here, it feels as if you're somewhat forced into using the weapons of whatever enemy you're fighting.

If you like halo, you'll enjoy 5. For 6 they really need to go somewhere differnt SP wise, just to spruce things up a bit more larger scale epic battles would be nice.

There was hatred toward the COD-ification of its multiplayer even before release. Still, people were tentatively excited.

Now that I think about it, I wanna say Halo 4 is how I discovered NeoGAF. Before, I would just browse IGN, maybe read some blogs there. After playing Halo 4 with a friend, especially after a few days of playing the multiplayer with my Halo buddies, it just was immediately off-putting. Yet I remember staying up until I think 4AM to watch the IGN review, because I was very excited. Once I realized my disappointment, I started looking for fan discussion and found N4G and NeoGAF.

So it's weird now to experience another Halo launch, now being incredibly cautious of the glowing praise I assumed Halo 5 would get, because Halo 4 got the same thing yet seemingly a majority of fans (or at least a lot of them) really didn't like Halo 4 from the start.

I'm very intrigued to see what fans think.

oti

Banned

enhanced-21889-1436720835-7.png

Ape

Banned
to people that have reviewed it, where would you rank halo 5's multi compared to the other installments in the franchise?

Random17

85 Meta, if it stays there, is not too bad compared to Halo 4's 87 meta, if you account for the loss of splitscreen and Forge (on release), and the fact that games in 2012 were rated more highly than in 2015.

Still, it's lower than our expectations.

Xumbrega

Banned
The final Meta score should be something between 85-90, it will not go lower than this, a lot of 90 scores will raise the meta.

Skux

I just hope the campaign actually makes sense this time around, instead of requiring you to read a bunch of novels just to have a lick of an idea about what the hell is going on.

IvanJ

Banned
I honestly, for the entire year, expected this game to be GOTY. But with so many 8s and 7s, it seems like it will end up as the worst scoring numbered Halo game.
Such disappointment, they had so much time to make a great game, and up with just a decent one.

Jigorath

Banned
So Halo 3 continues to stand as the last great Halo campaign? This is disappointing. I'll pick it up for the multiplayer though.

It's back to 85. Maybe wait a day , it'll constantly go up or down for a few hours.
I'm not going to have a meltdown over this. :p I know I'll love Halo 5 and my reason for loving it will be a reason most people won't care too much for. The competitive Arena mode. Just strange seeing this game get reviewed worse than Halo 4, when most of the fanbase is declaring this game to fix upon Halo 4's mistake, and be Halo's true return to form.

What Xbox game has reviewed well (90+) this gen? I could see this 85 coming a mile off. Not saying it isn't deserved, not play Halo 5 yet, but this was all too predictable.

Reviewers just seem to be way more harsh this generation than last where they handed out 9's and 10's like candy.

85 is a damn good score!
That's actually why I expected the 95+. This is Xbox's first "Big" exclusive game to come out in 3 year. Probably won't be another game that'll have the hype Halo 5 had until Halo 6. So I was expecting reviewers would give out the 9 and 10s like candy, just based off Hype alone.

Guess it's a good thing that reviewers are more reserved now though, like you said.

JTripper

If the campaign is better than Halo 4's, I'll probably love it. From the sound of it, it sounds like Halo 2 all over again, which I'm fine with even though I agree with the notion that Halo 2 has the weakest Halo campaign period despite me still enjoying the levels and the bridge it creates between the first and third.

I cannot agree with you on that.

Halo 1 was remarkable for its story. Yes, it can be summed up quickly, but there was a mystery to it and it was engaging to push forward. The introduction of The Flood was one of the best moments in first person shooter history, I feel.

Halo 2 and 3 are a bit over the top but I found myself engaged. Same deal with ODST and Reach, which told self contained tales that were fun to follow. You KNEW what would happen in Reach, but the way it played out was awesome.

I don't think you're giving them enough credit.

Having replayed them recently, I just don't think they are anything special. 1 had the twist, 2 was convoluted as all hell for me. Still love them though.

maximrace

I don't get the hate for the Campaign. I loved Bungie's campaign and I think this has the best campaign since Halo 3. People who say it's cod'esque and linear with small areas just shouldn't be believed. Game has some of the largest areas in the game imo ( excluding the scarab fights)

Karak

Th Destructoid review did say the game was more linear Call of Duty style. Odd, will have to play to see.

Very much so. Sometimes to the series advancement actually. Other times. Not so much.

So to sum it up.. Single Player is O K to good, and Multiplayer is one of the best ever?
Seems totally fine with me =)

FYI a partner on my channel who played through it with me considered the story incredibly interesting. More so than almost any title since 1. There will be people who love this

Is this the Snake -> Raiden effect with Chief and Locke?

I really hope the ending isn't as abrupt and dumb as Halo 2's. Scores look good, but the campaign comments are more negative than positive, which is interesting. Maybe Legendary has a better ending :)

Top Bottom