• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Karak

Combination of the most pure ( arena) and most fun ( Warzone) multiplayer to date. Only minor annoyance is because of focus of two modes there is a lower amount of content in each of them to be perfect. Free dlc tho

Same without a shadow of a doubt.

Servbot24

Banned
It's a Halo game. Why are so many here opsessed with the Metascore. It's Halo/Halo. There, done. Best review ever. You already know if you want to play it or not.

We do this thread for every major new release. It's interesting to see how games are perceived beyond GAF.

AHA-Lambda

People are disappointed at the meta score? Come on its halo! It's a very known quantity now (what the 7th game not counting spin offs?) scores are just going to be lower.

This was never going to be in the 90s

Random17

I think you guys are missing the point about the 9/10 comparison. A lot of games got 9/10 as an almost default/worth considering score back in 2012 and prior to that.

Nowadays it's much rarer for anything other than the best releases to get it.

That Locke/Chief thing is going to hurt them in the newspaper reviews, who generally give high scores. For example, Expect 5/5 to go to 4/5 just for that reason alone.

GHG

At this point I think we should be more surprised when a AAA title doesn't end up in the 75-85 range.

They all follow such a similar formula that they end up reviewing similarly.

She risks are taken and they do something different with an AAA budget it ends up being spectacular (Witcher 3), or failing miserably (the order 1886). Its a risk that few are willing to take, which is understandable.

These scores were about what I anticipated. I'm not sure where all of the expectations of 90+ Metacritic scores were coming from given 343's track record.

SparkTR

Halo has story standards? The story was always hilarious.

The original was pretty cool back when it released, there was a mystery surrounding it that the sci-fi nerd in me found captivating and it made me insanely excited for the sequel. Unfortunately I feel everything after that has been convoluted as hell.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Another big release with 9s and 8s.

I would spoil the Fallout, Just Cause or Blops reviews but I hear you guys don't like spoilers :p

oti

Banned
We do this thread for every major new release. It's interesting to see how games are perceived beyond GAF.

Sure, that's fine and fun. What I don't get are "oh it's 83 right now but I really wanted it to be at least 87 I AM SO DISAPPOINTED!" comments.

Bloodborne Witcher 3 and mgs5 all got showered in 10s this year.

Reviewers haven't changed.

This is really interesting to me as two of the three of these titles I couldn't even be bothered to beat and the other one I hear isn't any better in that regard (mgs).

The witcher 3 might be the one of my least favorite games I've played this generation.

Not to compare but if people could find enjoyment out of Destinys campaign, those folks have nothing to worry about with Halo 5.

Osahi

That's what I found weird about the Destructoid review. It mentions that they areas are really small while multiple other reviewers say they're a decent amount of large environments.
Truth is there is both. Some missions take place in very open spaces, others guide you along a linear path. Later levels tend to get more linear, and the final is extremely dull imo.

Random17

I've said this for months now, Halo 5 has an incredible number of similarities to Halo 2. (I can't go into detail without full spoilers)

The latter was deservingly put at a 96 meta despite its ending, while the former is at 85. Interesting parallel.

Top Bottom