• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

oti

Banned
It's a Halo game. Why are so many here opsessed with the Metascore. It's Halo/Halo. There, done. Best review ever. You already know if you want to play it or not.

GavinGT

Banned
Destiny has a 76 on Metacritic, and people still bought and enjoyed it. If you like Halo, I'm sure you'll like this game.

zsynqx

I don't get how people are disappointed with the metascore, it will probably end up being the best reviewed shooter of the year. Actually, Black Ops 3 is looking pretty sweet so it might be close. I reckon Battlefront will get criticized heavily for lack of content.

Destiny has a 76 on Metacritic, and people still bought and enjoyed it. If you like Halo, I'm sure you'll like this game.

Actually TTK is now at 85 on metacritic :L

TheDanger

Banned
So Halo 3 continues to stand as the last great Halo campaign? This is disappointing. I'll pick it up for the multiplayer though.

From a gameplay perspective it's definitely a great halo campaign, I also thought the story wasn't bad, but I'm really forgiving when it comes to stories in video games.

KingBroly

Banned
I mean I knew it was rumored but was hoping it wasn't true. That sucks

If they want to do non Chief stories I'd be down with that in spin off games but I feel like mainline numbered games should be all about Chief. Just my opinion

People didn't like it in Halo 2, so it's not surprising people didn't like it here.

The game's MP will probably meet the same fate as Halo 4's, unfortunately. But that's just my opinion.

Random17

Super confused why some reviewers think this is more linear, when everything we have seen about the Campaign suggests it is less linear than Reach and 4, especially in regards to verticality.

bounchfx

It's a Halo game. Why are so many here opsessed with the Metascore. It's Halo/Halo. There, done. Best review ever. You already know if you want to play it or not.

it's pretty much exactly what it needed to be. anything people could have realistically expected, that's what it is. Except the multiplayer is better this time than 4. Sounds good to me !

DOWN

Banned
At this point I think we all disappointingly know that Halo is unlikely to ever win another major Game of the Year award because it doesn't even have a likelihood to be a strong contender if it is in the running at all, and that's disappointing.

I hope 6 hits a stunning campaign note as they send Master Chief off for good.

I put $60 down for the multiplayer, and I don't need any game reviewer to tell me anything about that, so while campaign disappointments aren't great to hear, it doesn't really matter much at all me in the long run)a

HTupolev

Halo 1 was remarkable for its story. Yes, it can be summed up quickly, but there was a mystery to it and it was engaging to push forward. The introduction of The Flood was one of the best moments in first person shooter history, I feel.
It's not very complex, but it's very focused and everything is well-integrated into how the narrative flows. Silent Cartographer and onward is easily one of the most driven uses of a one-day cycle I've ever seen.

You KNEW what would happen in Reach, but the way it played out was awesome.
The argument that it's bad because you know the ending is a very odd reduction of what the narrative is doing.

I have my qualms with Reach's storytelling, but that's got nothing to do with it.

LewieP

Remember when Halo: MCC got a load of positive reviews before the respective publications had even tried public multiplayer?

I assume Halo 5 multiplayer functions as advertised, but I wouldn't publish a review based on that assumption.

I wonder what it will take for reviewers to not see embargoes as deadlines.

Walpurgis

Banned
83 now. Damn. Still a bit to go, but I thought this would be the second highest reviewed Halo game... it's on track to be the worst reviewed Main Halo game... Somehow worse than Halo 4. :(

I'm going to have to eat some crow.

That doesn't mean it's worse than Halo 4. Reviewers have been noticeably harder on games this gen. Just compare the Metacritic of AC3 to ACU. Both utterly broken at launch but only one was actually docked points for it. I've never played Halo but I can't imagine Halo 5 being worse than Halo 4 (fan reception).

Shin-chan

Is the 6-7 hour campaign true? Because damn, that's short. And then the ending feels like it's been cut for sequel bait as well?

Looks like a great game if you're in it for the multiplayer (which I appreciate many are), but the single player sounds like a mess. How long has the game been in development for?

Bgamer90

Banned
That's actually why I expected the 95+. This is Xbox's first "Big" exclusive game to come out in 3 year. Probably won't be another game that'll have the hype Halo 5 had until Halo 6.

Gears 4 is next year.

But yeah, it seems like this is "Halo 2: Part 2". Everyone seems to love the multiplayer but the campaign is love or hate.

It's a good thing that reviewers aren't giving out nines like cheap candy (a la last gen).

As a burnt out Halo fan that completely lost interest after 4, it's reviewing about as well as I expected it to.

A really solidly good game, probably better than 4, but with too many missteps to truly revitalise the series or be the XO's killer app.

I think fans here just got a bit too caught up on the hype train, certainly compared to most everywhere else I've seen.

I think it'll settle in the low 80's overall, if not bang in. Shame, as I know that'd be disappointing for some, and even put a few people off buying it.

Is this the Snake -> Raiden effect with Chief and Locke?

I really hope the ending isn't as abrupt and dumb as Halo 2's. Scores look good, but the campaign comments are more negative than positive, which is interesting. Maybe Legendary has a better ending :)

The ending has backing and implications to the last game in this trilogy. Not just... let's finish the fight. Its hard to talk about without spoiling it.

My only disappointment is that despite being (largely) better than Halo 4 in a lot of ways, this game will get lower scores, which is a shame. A reflection of some controversial decisions, as well as the general drop in AAA review scores.

my thoughts exactly

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/halo-5-guardians

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/halo-4

halo 5 is obviously the better game smh, that destructoid review really brought things down

edit

not all of the reviews are in so things can change

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Having replayed them recently, I just don't think they are anything special. 1 had the twist, 2 was convoluted as all hell for me. Still love them though.
Yeah, you replayed them. I don't think you're taking into account the feelings as the time. That's what is most important. It's old hat now and, while I still feel they hold up, the impact is no longer there.

The Flood was a genuine surprise for many of us and the inclusion of The Arbiter was amazing (for me at least). There was a genuine buzz around the story when those games were released.

Falcker

What Xbox game has reviewed well (90+) this gen? I could see this 85 coming a mile off. Not saying it isn't deserved, not play Halo 5 yet, but this was all too predictable.

Reviewers just seem to be way more harsh this generation than last where they handed out 9's and 10's like candy.

85 is a damn good score!

Bloodborne Witcher 3 and mgs5 all got showered in 10s this year.

Reviewers haven't changed.

Neither IGN nor Gamespot have a number on their reviews yet.

The guy reviewing the game for Gamespot talked a bit about it on the Lobby last week and sounded pretty high on it.

Wouldn't be surprised if both IGN and Gamespot dropped a 9+ on this thing and boosted it's metascore a bit.

ryan299

I mean I knew it was rumored but was hoping it wasn't true. That sucks

If they want to do non Chief stories I'd be down with that in spin off games but I feel like mainline numbered games should be all about Chief. Just my opinion

People complained about playing the Arbiter for half a game. Playing Lock for a majority of the game is a complaint 343 should've seen coming.

maximrace

to people that have reviewed it, where would you rank halo 5's multi compared to the other installments in the franchise?

Combination of the most pure ( arena) and most fun ( Warzone) multiplayer to date. Only minor annoyance is because of focus of two modes there is a lower amount of content in each of them to be perfect. Free dlc tho

Yeah, I noticed the spoiler before the edit. Fuck.

I was just about to shut the computer off too, I mean within 3 pages of the review thread something was spoiled. It's not hard not to write shit like that, I don't get it, there's a spoiler thread that can be used for that stuff.

Walpurgis

Banned
I don't get how people are disappointed with the metascore, it will probably end up being the best reviewed shooter of the year. Actually, Black Ops 3 is looking pretty sweet so it might be close. I reckon Battlefront will get criticized heavily for lack of content.

Here's hoping.

Bioshocker

Wow, I'm getting really hyped for this one. A year ago I couldn't care about Halo 5, but I think these past 12 months have offered a lot of info, and it's all been positive news.

Really looking forward to this tomorrow.

Yeah, you replayed them. I don't think you're taking into account the feelings as the time. That's what is most important. It's old hat now and, while I still feel they hold up, the impact is no longer there.

The Flood was a genuine surprise for many of us and the inclusion of The Arbiter was amazing (for me at least). There was a genuine buzz around the story when those games were released.

Flood I give you but 2 I never cared for story wise and I did not like being Arbiter or that angle.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
This is probably my fault for looking for a great campaign in Halo, but I've always been a single player guy first, and the word of a mediocre campaign kinda disappoints me.

Ah, oh well. I'll still play it and hopefully get something out of it.

spootime

Super confused why some reviewers think this is more linear, when everything we have seen about the Campaign suggests it is less linear than Reach and 4, especially in regards to verticality.

"verticality" seems like a meaningless buzzword to be honest

I'm not going to have a meltdown over this. :p I know I'll love Halo 5 and my reason for loving it will be a reason most people won't care too much for. The competitive Arena mode. Just strange seeing this game get reviewed worse than Halo 4, when most of the fanbase is declaring this game to fix upon Halo 4's mistake, and be Halo's true return to form.

That's actually why I expected the 95+. This is Xbox's first "Big" exclusive game to come out in 3 year. Probably won't be another game that'll have the hype Halo 5 had until Halo 6. So I was expecting reviewers would give out the 9 and 10s like candy, just based off Hype alone.

Guess it's a good thing that reviewers are more reserved now though, like you said.

Meh im not to bent out of shape about it... There seems to be a different scale that reviewers are using this generation so it doesn't make sense to compare review scores from a last gen game to today.

Like it or not, I feel like reviewers are more jaded this generation and willing to point out and dock points for any minor slight in a game. In this case is happens to be the divisive story, lack of character development, lacklustre coop AI, and repetitive boss battles that dock the entire game. From what I gather the campaign as a whole is still an Incredibly fun experience marred by these issues.

Either way there us tons of praise for both the arena and warzone modes in the multiplayer and I've seen several reviewers on twitter call it the best multiplayer in the series so if you are into that then you should be pleased.

zsynqx

Gears 4 is next year.

But yeah, it seems like this is "Halo 2: Part 2". Everyone seems to love the multiplayer but the campaign is love or hate.

It's a good thing that reviewers aren't giving out nines like cheap candy (a la last gen).

MGSV, Witcher, Bloodborne etc.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is this the Snake -> Raiden effect with Chief and Locke?
Not even close.

I loved the Raiden swap in MGS2, but the reason I believe it was so hated stems from the fact that it was a surprise. Nobody knew about it prior to launch, really. It was completely hidden from pre-release materials.

The surprise element is what really sold me on it initially. It was just so unexpected.

With Halo 5, there isn't any surprise element. Everyone knew that both characters would be in the game.

Top Bottom