• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Has Not Met Financial Expectations - Brad Sams

Says the person who shows up in every single sales thread just to prove a Sony game flopped.
imagination air ship GIF by South Park

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

You don't remember your weird obsession with Demon's Souls sales?

PS5 stock boost sends Spider-Man: Miles Morales to No.2 | UK Boxed Charts

Spooderman keeps slaying. Demon's Souls still a bomba. Shame.

UK: Legs Morales crushes the Charts

Am I allowed to call Demon's Souls a bomba here? It's a game sales thread after all.

Almost 900,000 game consoles were sold during November in the UK

Demon's Souls borderline bomba lmao

February 2021 NPD: Nintendo Switch sales was the highest for any hardware platform in a February month since the Nintendo Wii in Feburary 2009

Talent wins yet again. Also Demon's Souls still a bomba. Yikes.

By the way, there was more......

And then the sales numbers were revealed.

Demon's Souls (PS5) Sold Over 1.4 Million Units​

Look at some of the comments in this thread, all directed towards you.

If only Bernd was here to enjoy this success with us.

Is that Burnt Lard guy still banned?

Lol. GHG, you vicious son of a bitch. You just know he's frothing at the mouth with rage after this news.

Spaceman292

Banned

February 2021 NPD: Nintendo Switch sales was the highest for any hardware platform in a February month since the Nintendo Wii in Feburary 2009

Some people on here are literally insane

[/URL]

Ah yes, digging up stuff from almost two years ago to prove that I do it in "every single thread".

Btw, Demon's Souls charted at #10 in November, while Halo charted at #2 in December, which is the busiest month of the year. Thanks for reminding me, turns out Halo did pretty well after all :messenger_beaming:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Ah yes, digging up stuff from almost two years ago to prove that I do it in "every single thread".

Btw, Demon's Souls charted at #10 in November, while Halo charted at #2 in December, which is the busiest month of the year. Thanks for reminding me, turns out Halo did pretty well after all :messenger_beaming:
I wasn't comparing Demon's Souls to Halo, I was talking about the fact that you would call out people for not having proof that it didn't meet expectations but didn't know what Sony expected from Demon's Souls.

I also just mentioned Demon's Souls as an example. People are aware what you were doing with Sony's other first party titles.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
And Halo will get a big boost in revenue once they start churning out content. Mind blown.
Releasing content doesn't mean it will meet expectations. It's completely unknown right now and it's not guaranteed.

Development for this game hasn't stopped. They probably want enough revenue to recover their investment from past and future development for this GaaS title.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Releasing content doesn't mean it will meet expectations. It's completely unknown right now and it's not guaranteed.

Development for this game hasn't stopped. They probably want enough revenue to recover their investment from past and future development for this GaaS title.

Considering the biggest issue people have is that they're putting out new seasons and content slow, when they sort out that pipeline, it should have a proportional impact on the games revenue stream as well.

Klayzer

Gold Member

[/URL]

2HE1rIf.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Banjo64

cumsessed

[/URL]

Clearly just tongue in cheek comments to wind up sweaty people like you, and it’s obviously worked.

[/URL]

gru GIF

Seems to have done extremely well. Not only just sales, but overall with over 20 million players in 10 months time. And of course we know that is the metric that MS is focused on. More importantly, the game scored amazingly, and my experience after completing the game was also 9/10. Visually, Playground Games is on another level compared to other developers out there. Their attention to detail is off the charts. It's no wonder it won best racing game, best accessibility, best audio design, and best sports game.

Nailed it^

Gears 5 failed? Wha? Halo failed? Now you are just being silly. This isn't even worthy of a response.
Halo did fail genius which is the exact point of this thread if you didn't notice. It hasn't met financial expectations. You can bet Gears 5 didn't either given that it bombed in sails and they stopped supporting it pretty quickly. Both of those franchises have been dying.

Forza having 20 million players in 10 months is no more important than Halo getting 20 million in a short time. Halo failed to meet expectations. You know why? Because player numbers don't equal money. Everyone plays your game for free on Game Pass that cost you $100+ million to make and isn't spending additional money on it that's what happens. Granted I think Forza had one better than Infinite but I'm still not convinced they've made a ton of money on it.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Since the head of 343 got sacked, Halo infinite has 50/50 chance to come back to life. We shall see

Kvally

Banned
Halo did fail genius which is the exact point of this thread if you didn't notice. It hasn't met financial expectations. You can bet Gears 5 didn't either given that it bombed in sails and they stopped supporting it pretty quickly. Both of those franchises have been dying.

Forza having 20 million players in 10 months is no more important than Halo getting 20 million in a short time. Halo failed to meet expectations. You know why? Because player numbers don't equal money. Everyone plays your game for free on Game Pass that cost you $100+ million to make and isn't spending additional money on it that's what happens. Granted I think Forza had one better than Infinite but I'm still not convinced they've made a ton of money on it.
Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Crew511A

Not sure Gears 5 would be considered a sales flop if they decided it would be profitable to release paid campaign DLC.

bootaski

Sorry, just checked, and it was a limited time mode. I think they will probably bring it back though, like they did with fiesta.

Havoc2049

Forza Horizon 5 made mad cash. For the early access, they sold 1.2 million Premium Editions before the game even launched, which cost either $100 or $40 for Game Pass subscribers. FH5 was also the best selling game on Steam in the week leading up to launch. The population hit 4.5 million on launch day and it has had a solid daily population since. I'm sure they have made mad cash on digital transactions with things such as the Hot Wheels DLC, VIP pass, car packs and the treasure map. I'm a Game Pass Ultimate subscriber and I bought the $40 Premium Edition pre-launch, along with the $3 Treasure map post launch.

The Xbox/PC community is very multiplayer centric, so many Xbox gamers will stick with Microsoft franchises over a long period of time post launch, buying digital content and Season Passes along the way, while also subscribing to Game Pass, Game Pass Ultimate or Xbox Live.

Microsoft games also sell well on Steam and are frequently top sellers.

Forza Horizon 5 made mad cash. For the early access, they sold 1.2 million Premium Editions before the game even launched, which cost either $100 or $40 for Game Pass subscribers. FH5 was also the best selling game on Steam in the week leading up to launch. The population hit 4.5 million on launch day and it has had a solid daily population since. I'm sure they have made mad cash on digital transactions with things such as the Hot Wheels DLC, VIP pass, car packs and the treasure map. I'm a Game Pass Ultimate subscriber and I bought the $40 Premium Edition pre-launch, along with the $3 Treasure map post launch.

The Xbox/PC community is very multiplayer centric, so many Xbox gamers will stick with Microsoft franchises over a long period of time post launch, buying digital content and Season Passes along the way, while also subscribing to Game Pass, Game Pass Ultimate or Xbox Live.

Microsoft games also sell well on Steam and are frequently top sellers.
And yet all of what you just said didn't help Halo Infinite from being a failure did it? Out of any of Microsoft's games over the past few years I agree that Forza is probably the most profitable. A game being on Game Pass doesn't ensure it will be successful and profitable and when it's a game that costs 100's of millions that becomes a problem.

Pelta88

And yet all of what you just said didn't help Halo Infinite from being a failure did it? Out of any of Microsoft's games over the past few years I agree that Forza is probably the most profitable. A game being on Game Pass doesn't ensure it will be successful and profitable and when it's a game that costs 100's of millions that becomes a problem.

It's like... The PR is so embedded with some people that even in a thread discussing the fact Halo hasn't met expectations, they still believe it has.

Last edited:
Little support after release is what didn't didn't help Halo Infinite. Six+ month seasons and few maps and modes hurt it's potential to make money. Again Game pass had nothing to do with Halo Infinite's status. The multiplayer was free. Not sure why people keep bringing up Game pass.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yo are people still arguing that Halo Infinite delivered on its promises in a thread about how Microsoft is replacing all the senior management because it didn't?

Just checking to make sure.

Last edited:

Halo was the only new release in the top 20 in December, so it wasn't that busy, November is when most of the holiday titles debut. Halo also fell to number 18 in January and out of the top 20 from that point on in February.

Little support after release is what didn't didn't help Halo Infinite. Six+ month seasons and few maps and modes hurt it's potential to make money. Again Game pass had nothing to do with Halo Infinite's status. The multiplayer was free. Not sure why people keep bringing up Game pass.

You are absolutely delusional. The issue with Infinite wasn't a lack of content. It was *everything*. From the terrible campaign, the insulting and greedy MTX, the lack of quality, the constant bugs, glitches, poor online matchmaking - I get you are an astroturfing shill - but have some self respect.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You are absolutely delusional. The issue with Infinite wasn't a lack of content. It was *everything*. From the terrible campaign, the insulting and greedy MTX, the lack of quality, the constant bugs, glitches, poor online matchmaking - I get you are an astroturfing shill - but have some self respect.
Remember when Halo was all about the exotic biomes and the levels got more and more amazing visually as you progressed?

Return to that Halo, return to that.

The ambiance music tho survived well in Infinite, I’ll give it that. But the murder monkey raging every damned cut scene checkpoint got old fast.

And bring back Halo 4s Cortana design if you’re gonna make it a sappy love story.

Halo 3 is still GOAT Halo to me. Next to the nostalgic love for CE.

Last edited:

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
If true, anyone trying to spin this is a clown.

This is a MASSIVE red flag on the Gamepass Model for big games. It's fucking Halo, their literally flagship title.

At best, this shows there is some unreal levels of mismanagement going on.

Either way, it's not good.

This has nothing to do with GamePass. 343 has just dropped the ball repeatedly with Infinite multiplayer.

The campaign is amazing but it’s not long. What was supposed to keep people coming back was the multiplayer service. What was supposed to generate money around the clock were the cosmetics and battle passes for the multiplayer. And it all sucks outside of the gunplay.

So where in that video does the guy ever say it failed financial expectations? I'd be blown away if that were actually true. The game failed expectations for many reasons, mostly slow content release or lack thereof, but I don't believe for a second that Infinite was a financial failure. So we should probably stop conflating failed financial expectations with failed game expectations. 343 dropped the ball on a myriad of things, but the cleaning house with management is because of bad PR, and yes the bad PR is deserved. No one is excusing Infinite for all of its problems. It was time for Bonnie Ross to go. She knew it. MS knew it.
Could you please go into a thread just once and not accuse everyone of being a consoler warrior, or a shill? I realize it's your go-to argument on this forum but give it a rest. The campaign was a lot of fun, evidenced by all the positive reviews.

Robb

Gold Member
From the terrible campaign, the insulting and greedy MTX, the lack of quality, the constant bugs, glitches, poor online matchmaking
dog pug live GIF

Feels like I’m playing an entirely different game when reading this. Wouldn’t even call $10 for the battle pass particularly greedy compared to other games (although I have never looked at the stuff in the actual shop).

So where in that video does the guy ever say it failed financial expectations? I'd be blown away if that were actually true. The game failed expectations for many reasons, mostly slow content release or lack thereof, but I don't believe for a second that Infinite was a financial failure. So we should probably stop conflating failed financial expectations with failed game expectations. 343 dropped the ball on a myriad of things, but the cleaning house with management is because of bad PR, and yes the bad PR is deserved. No one is excusing Infinite for all of its problems. It was time for Bonnie Ross to go. She knew it. MS knew it.

Could you please go into a thread just once and not accuse everyone of being a consoler warrior, or a shill? I realize it's your go-to argument on this forum but give it a rest. The campaign was a lot of fun, evidenced by all the positive reviews.

Ah yes, reviews that have been proven for over a decade, if not longer, to be utterly worthless. The only people who actively use them in an argument/debate are warriors.

Also no, I only accuse console warriors of being console warriors and shills of being shills. I have yet to be proven wrong, fanboy.

Last edited:
dog pug live GIF

Feels like I’m playing an entirely different game when reading this. Wouldn’t even call $10 for the battle pass particularly greedy compared to other games (although I have never looked at the stuff in the actual shop).

Mate, the company itself is admitting to its massive fuckups. Are you that blind to reality?

iHaunter

Remember when GAF said Infinite would be the reason to buy an XSX? Still no reason to buy one. Games have been mediocre, delayed, or generic. Scorn looks cool, but it's 6 hours. Atomic Heart looks dope, got delayed. Phil needs the boot. All he does is push GamePass and fucks up everything else.

The real pathetic part is the 343 is such a huge company and have been working on this game for what, close to 8 years? How they failed to make some a tiny game with copy/pasted assets over such a long dev cycle with so many people is beyond me. Incompetently run from the top to the bottom.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Mate, the company itself is admitting to its massive fuckups. Are you that blind to reality?
I’ve already posted what I think about them on page 3 in this very thread. I guess I just disagree that your points are the issue.

Campaign is great, MTX cost aren’t worse than most other ftp games, gameplay is fantastic, haven’t experienced any memorable bugs/glitches and matchmaking has been no problem. Although I can’t say I play very competitively, just for fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom