• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite dev responds to negative reactions.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
they already confirmed that they will be releasing ray-tracing via a patch. This is one of those games that's going to improve dramatically over time. I imagine ultra HD textures will be released via patch also. Better textures and Ray tracing will make this game look next gen

Why not delay it and release a finished game? I won't pay full price for a "it'll look better later" promise, especially if I paid to play the game on the MOST POWERFUL CONSOLE EVER.

It's kind of sad that gamers are more interested in bashing the graphics then being excited about having a new Halo game to play on launch. The gameplay looked great imo, super smooth and precise.

It's kind of sad that people like you can't accept that a lot of people are pretty disappointed by that showing.
MS hyped the console and the game for months, promised the most powerful console ever, showed HALO INFINITE trailers with next-gen worthy scenes.
If those are some of the main points of their marketing campaign and the final showcase looks like an XBox One game, gamers/fans have a right to feel betrayed.
I (personally) don't care for "smooth gameplay" if MS promised me BEST GRAPHICS and the BIGGEST GENERATION GAP EVER for months to start their hyped showcase with... this.

It's kind of sad that gamers are more interested in bashing the graphics then being excited about having a new Halo game to play on launch. The gameplay looked great imo, super smooth and precise.

these posts are so redundant.
Xbox has been hyping up 12tf and powa. And this is what people got a current gen looking game.
If they just hyped the game up as normal halo coming to Xbox one people would hardly be complaining.

LucidFlux

That's great and all but sadly there's nothing that can be done as long as this game is on xbox one. Their hands are tied. I feel bad for everyone working on it. Their creative vision has been completely stifled.

notseqi

Xbox has been hyping up 12tf and powa. And this is what people got a current gen looking game.
If they just hyped the game up as normal halo coming to Xbox one people would hardly be complaining.
Seriously, why is there no LoD-Slider. Or the choice of what resolution and target-FPS you want.
I am very sure that they could have made you have every choice for XSX, the thing we saw on the 23rd from the often talked about Lockhart +Scarlett and a borderline compatibility-mode for Xbone.
But they didn't. Why is anyones guess, I'm going for time constraints because PS5 is launching too - in a not so hot year for moneymaking.

edit: To add on this: Xbone should be 1080p and 30fps, you can play it. If you want more resolution - get one of the new consoles. If you can't get one for a higher resolution or more fps, thats fine, you can play it. And as soon as you can materialize the cash, you can get another console. It's been 7 years, mah boy. But MS or 343 can't deliver. If they could, they would have strong cards to make their new systems highly attractive.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
I'm still kinda baffled by 343 and Microsoft, honestly. MS should be parachuting people in to make Halo the tentpole franchise it's supposed to be. All the rumors we've heard about 343 and Infinite leads credence that there needs major changes made at 343. This is not how you treat your biggest franchise.

Mmmmm people would still complain let’s get real. We are talking about gamers/neagaf.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Yes. Ai sucks. Motion doesn't have weight. Level design bad. Script bad. World feels dead.
Kingthrash summarises with examples of old halos showing how backwards it is.
Those make no sense. Why does the AI sucks? There were even some interesting enemies behaviours shown in the gameplay. How is the world dead if there were small animals, birds and enemies moving all around? Whats wrong with level design? Rather, we didn't even see enough to talk about that. What are even "motion doesn't have weight" and "script bad" supposed to mean exactly?

MrFunSocks

Banned
This is true, but those games werent meant to launch a new console and next gen.

Thats the difference, this was meant to be a flagship next gen experience, 5 years development.

This was basically a tinder expectation vs reality situation

I feel like halo has catfished its fans
It was not meant to be a flagship next gen experience though, since it’s a XB1 game.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
It was not meant to be a flagship next gen experience though, since it’s a XB1 game.

So why was MS hyping it up to be one? Look at all the trailers before the showcase - you're going to tell me their made this with a clear and honest "don't get too excited, it's still an XB1 game" message?

INC

Gold Member

Come on.........be like sony showing uncharted 6, at a ps5 show, running on a ps4........see how silly that sounds (well to me anyway, esch to their own)

Greeno

Yes. Ai sucks. Motion doesn't have weight. Level design bad. Script bad. World feels dead.
Kingthrash summarises with examples of old halos showing how backwards it is.
I understand your enthusiasm in this debate. I just don't understand why you think mentioning somebody like Kingthrash brings credibility? Kingthrash is known to be extremely biased in anything related to Microsoft and Sony.

You could have actually used a non-biased source like Favyn (who discusses the issues he finds with the gameplay video).

I'm still kinda baffled by 343 and Microsoft, honestly. MS should be parachuting people in to make Halo the tentpole franchise it's supposed to be. All the rumors we've heard about 343 and Infinite leads credence that there needs major changes made at 343. This is not how you treat your biggest franchise.

Because MS doesn't care about the final product on release since the 360 days(MCC, Crackdown 3 for example). They are putting all their eggs into the GaaS microtransactions piggybacking off Gamepass. And promising to fix it later.

Also, MS has a vocal segment of their fanbase that would cover for them no matter if they shipped literal dogshit in the game boxes instead of a disc. When MCC first released there was zealots defending an objectively broken multiplayer.

They are like this way because since Phil took charge, the management has been allowed to fail upwards and a vocal part of their fanbase played cult like defense on social media. They don't ever call MS out for failures, and this is why we are here. If that same zealot section of their fanbase ever spoke up in criticism, things would get better at MS

Last edited:

ShadowLag

Aaron Greenberg spoke to inside gaming last week and said "Listen, we're in the middle of a global pandemic. It's July; we're far from Holiday, you're seeing a work-in-progress game," adding, "It's very hard to show the full power and graphic fidelity of what Xbox Series X can deliver for you over a stream, so go back and look at it in 4K/60. It is a work in progress. We see build check-ins every week, and they make progress week after week, so between now and Holiday, it's going to get better and better."

So.... have some restraint, plan your marketing better, don't show old crappy builds when you know what kind of response they will get, don't use a pandemic to make excuses for your bad decisions, and wait a month or two to show us those better buildsssssssssssssssssssssss?????

And if not those things, a better a response would have been "we take player feedback very seriously and continue to work on the game, things are unfinished, we can't wait to show you how the game will really look and feel closer to release! We love Halo woooo!" - PR 101

oldergamer

I remember but i also remember how better off the series was with Bungie and how well it's 360 games held up to Infinite.
You've played infinite now? Total dumb comparison of an unfinished game to a finished game. Like many people around here, they only like bungie because they went multiplatform. If they stayed xbox exclusive you and many others would say they were overrated.

Halo 2 was not a good game ( dual wielding wasn't great ). Halo 3 was better, but still lacked in the visual department. How was halo better off with bungie when they didn't want to work on halo anymore? please explain

Vawn

Banned
You think the textures are really that bad? I believe they are in the realm of what we can expect from a native 4K 60fps game for next gen. 4K 60 is too demanding for next gen assets

IF that was true, then drop the 4K. It's not worth making lower quality graphics than current gen, just to pump them up to 4K.

But, I don't really believe that next-gen consoles can't run better looking games than this at 4K/60.

MrFunSocks

Banned
So why was MS hyping it up to be one? Look at all the trailers before the showcase - you're going to tell me their made this with a clear and honest "don't get too excited, it's still an XB1 game" message?
Come on.........be like sony showing uncharted 6, at a ps5 show, running on a ps4........see how silly that sounds (well to me anyway, esch to their own)
Bullshit. They led their next-gen reveal with it.
The game plays on Series X, but so does Halo 5. The Games Showcase was not specifically Series X, it was just Xbox Games:

See the Future of Xbox on July 23 on the Xbox Games Showcase

The day you’ve been waiting for is nearly here: On Thursday, July 23 at 9 a.m. PT, we’ll be giving you a closer look at the future of gaming with the Xbox Games Showcase, including world premieres and updated looks at some of the games we’ve already revealed. And yes, that includes your first-ever look at campaign gameplay from Halo Infinite.

As for like Sony showing Uncharted 6 - if Uncharted 6 was a PS4 game that had been in development for the last 5 years, announced as a PS4 game, still releasing on PS4, and they were showing it at a Playstation Games Showcase, then yeah I guess it would be like that.

Halo Infinite is an Xbox One game. Not sure how many times this needs to be said.

Last edited:

waxer

I understand your enthusiasm in this debate. I just don't understand why you think mentioning somebody like Kingthrash brings credibility? Kingthrash is known to be extremely biased in anything related to Microsoft and Sony.

You could have actually used a non-biased source like Favyn (who discusses the issues he finds with the gameplay video).
Because kingthrash showed those things with video examples. What's your point.
What if I said I'm typing this on my phone also trump sucks. Does me not liking trump mean I'm lying about posting from my phone.

Because 4k 60 was going to fix the PS3 shadow and light techniques uses to avoid Ray Tracing.

Please get rid of Greenberg. He makes Steve Balmer, another hype man, look like a saint .

Shmunter

RT will not fix the problems.
Having no noteworthy games vs the PS5 at launch could get real ugly.

We need a miracle... Hire Bungie!
Should even outsource the tech to Ubisoft. The farcry games look great today, on nextgen should have more bells and whistles and 60 no wakkas. 343 can just slap in their lore and story, done deal.

stickkidsam

Gold Member
It hurts my head how many people here want Gamepass to have a catch, or to even outright fail.

"Sixty dollars is the price of a game and that's the price you should pay." Suggesting a way of making it cheap and more accessible is ridiculous and making it any more expensive results in mass hysteria.
Ideally, paying $60 allows me to actually own my game.

I like Gamepass since rental services for games kinda suck in general, but I don't want Gamepass to be the standard for game released. I don't like the impact that a subscription system would have on the game design.

Greeno

Because kingthrash showed those things with video examples. What's your point.
What if I said I'm typing this on my phone also trump sucks. Does me not liking trump mean I'm lying about posting from my phone.

I'm not accusing you of lying. I'm accusing kingthrash of being incompetent at this particular analysis as he factors in his clear bias. Let me point out his bias in his recent Halo Infinite video:

* GamePass brings you cheap-looking games:

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is the best counter-example (You cannot deny how "expensive" that looks).

--------------------------------

* Lighting is not the main problem of Halo Infinite:

Digital Foundry's assertion that lighting is causing the biggest issue is supported by evidence. Look at the graphical difference between a non-raytraced Halo 2 and raytraced Halo 2. The difference is generational.

Are there other issues related to detail? There is no doubt in mind that there is. However, look at what The Cherno looks most impressed with. Neither the animation details nor the AI details but the reflections and lighting of the next-gen games. Look at what makes the most impressive games this gen outshine. It is lighting (baked indirect lighting to be exact). I'm not downplaying the other issues. I'm just pointing out that lighting makes the biggest difference.

---------------------------------

* AI is incomparable to Halo 3's AI:

We have already seen multiple new things that the AI does that are impressive. Most impressive thing about the AI is the context-based chatter. The second most impressive thing is the way the AI uses other AIs as weapons (grunts being thrown by brutes). Halo Infinite's AI is definitely comparable to Halo 3's AI. Some lack of details can be picked up to be downplayed but it doesn't paint the whole picture. The cherrypicking just showcases bias.

* Level design is incomparable to Halo 3's level design:

He jumps from the Halo 3 video to the Halo infinite video and showcases why there is more verticality to Halo Infinite than he alluded to earlier. I don't know much about Halo Infinite's general level design but with this simple example, there is a counterargument.

This is only one video that showcases how much biased this guy is. Lookup Favyn's video and you will see a well-developed thoughtful video that makes a thousand times more sense than whatever comes out of KingThrash's Halo content.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
I hope they allow overtime like no other and pay the employees triple time, I’m hoping this project is good to go upon its release date

Cutty Flam

Banned
Said it many times but 343 have been sub par for far too long and that can only come down on management to take the responsibility. Bonnie Ross and Co are not the right people to be leading Microsofts supposed premier IP. All the diversity talk / hiring is your first clue that they aren’t picking the best people for the job.

Halo Infinite could and should have been a major talking point leading into this generation. Ironically it is but for all the wrong reasons.
They need to hire “the Bobs” to investigate wtf is going on in 343i

“So, what would you say...you do here????”

S0ULZB0URNE

You've played infinite now? Total dumb comparison of an unfinished game to a finished game. Like many people around here, they only like bungie because they went multiplatform. If they stayed xbox exclusive you and many others would say they were overrated.

Halo 2 was not a good game ( dual wielding wasn't great ). Halo 3 was better, but still lacked in the visual department. How was halo better off with bungie when they didn't want to work on halo anymore? please explain
You played it? Is enough time left in 2020 to fix 360 era visuals?

MrFunSocks

Banned
Why not delay it and release a finished game? I won't pay full price for a "it'll look better later" promise, especially if I paid to play the game on the MOST POWERFUL CONSOLE EVER.
The game isn't releasing on XSX though, it's releasing on XB1 and has compatibility with the XSX in the same way that Halo 5 does and every other XB1 game.

Halo Infinite is a XB1 game. Don't buy it expecting a XSX exclusive game because it's not.

No multiplayer at release confirmed? Bad, bad 343!
343 confirmed MP is there day 1.

Last edited:

Shmunter

The game isn't releasing on XSX though, it's releasing on XB1 and has compatibility with the XSX in the same way that Halo 5 does and every other XB1 game.

Halo Infinite is a XB1 game. Don't buy it expecting a XSX exclusive game because it's not.

343 confirmed MP is there day 1.
So the tweet is incorrect or am I misreading something? “MP, Forge, Rank System etc in coming months”

MrFunSocks

Banned
So the tweet is incorrect or am I misreading something? “MP, Forge, Rank System etc in coming months”
Yes, the tweet is incorrect. That tweet is from an "insider" that doesn't work at 343, and 343 have confirmed MP is there on day 1. The blog post that Shinobi links to says nothing about MP coming after launch. He should correct himself because that info is 100% incorrect.

The rumor, while unsubstantiated, found surprising traction on Twitter this morning, presumably because Halo Infinite is still the talk of the town after yesterday's Xbox Games Showcase. An unnamed source cited by YouTuber Brad Sams claimed that Halo Infinite multiplayer wouldn't be available at launch, but Jarrard says that's plainly not the case.

Jarrard is the 343 community director.

Last edited:

Shmunter

MP at launch, Forge and everything else always comes after launch
I actually believe your right, there’s no way MP wouldn’t be there, that would be insane.

But the tweet indicates the opposite the way it’s written you’ll agree? Edit : as the poster above points out, the tweet is likely nonsense.

Last edited:

Mmnow

Ideally, paying $60 allows me to actually own my game.

I like Gamepass since rental services for games kinda suck in general, but I don't want Gamepass to be the standard for game released. I don't like the impact that a subscription system would have on the game design.
Why would any company running a game subscription model miss out on money to be made from still selling the game.

One of the big things that keeps getting said is that Gamepass subscribers still buy a bunch of content. There were 3 xgs games in the top 5 on Steam yesterday.

You'd just be throwing away free money to cut off purchases.

PaNaMa

Banned

It's never pleasant to publicly acknowledge such scathing (and widely agreed upon) criticism. I give 343 credit here for that. They didn't poo poo it away. Rather, they respectfully acknowledged the criticism and look to be in agreement with much of it. When the whole world shits all over something you have worked so hard on for 5 years, you might expect them to get defensive and start tossing out excuses. They didn't. They took the high road, and said they will do better.

Realistically, I don't think there's a whole they can do in 90 days probably. Maybe they delay, or maybe they launch and promise a Series X "patch" with improved models, lighting/raytracing, fix the aggressive terrain culling, LOD, etc etc in the months after release. Certainly the plastic looking armor and less than realistic looking enemies should be a priority as that really breaks immersion for me.

I'm happy with the response above. Now we wait for the results.

I'm not accusing you of lying. I'm accusing kingthrash of being incompetent at this particular analysis as he factors in his clear bias. Let me point out his bias in his recent Halo Infinite video:

* GamePass brings you cheap-looking games:

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is the best counter-example (You cannot deny how "expensive" that looks).

* Lighting is not the main problem of Halo Infinite:

Digital Foundry's assertion that lighting is causing the biggest issue is supported by evidence. Look at the graphical difference between a non-raytraced Halo 2 and raytraced Halo 2. The difference is generational.

Are there other issues related to detail? There is no doubt in mind that there is. However, look at what The Cherno looks most impressed with. Neither the animation details nor the AI details but the reflections and lighting of the next-gen games. Look at what makes the most impressive games this gen outshine. It is lighting (baked indirect lighting to be exact). I'm not downplaying the other issues. I'm just pointing out that lighting makes the biggest difference.

---------------------------------

* AI is incomparable to Halo 3's AI:

We have already seen multiple new things that the AI does that are impressive. Most impressive thing about the AI is the context-based chatter. The second most impressive thing is the way the AI uses other AIs as weapons (grunts being thrown by brutes). Halo Infinite's AI is definitely comparable to Halo 3's AI. Some lack of details can be picked up to be downplayed but it doesn't paint the whole picture. The cherrypicking just showcases bias.

* Level design is incomparable to Halo 3's level design:

He jumps from the Halo 3 video to the Halo infinite video and showcases why there is more verticality to Halo Infinite than he alluded to earlier. I don't know much about Halo Infinite's general level design but with this simple example, there is a counterargument.

This is only one video that showcases how much biased this guy is. Lookup Favyn's video and you will see a well-developed thoughtful video that makes a thousand times more sense than whatever comes out of KingThrash's Halo content.

Okay you're using a game that has had no series X demo as a counter argument a game that pushes the absolute most expensive graphics card there is. How good do you actually think it's going to look on a series X?

The lighting is not the main issue he is absolutely right about that.

the enemy AI is doing some new things but there's also things that doesn't do that it used to be able to do and he shows you that clearly in his video.

Showing the character grapple once to a new area doesn't counter his argument because his argument was that it should have extensive use. We were only seeing a small chunk of the game but based on that area it doesn't look like the grappling hook is use that often besides for combat situations.

Fuz

Banned
Probably tweet.
Not an excuse.

He could also have used "&". More acceptable.

Grammar-nazi-500x500.jpg

Top Bottom