• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Multiplayer Bots Are Surprisingly Toxic

kingfey

Banned
All hail The Tbag lords.
Bag Going Deep GIF by Chad Goes Deep

GreatnessRD

If they think that's "toxic" then I wonder how these snowflakes would have handled Halo 2 multiplayer back in 2004. I miss when Xbox Live was a tight-knit community back then and no magazine or website would even allow a "journalist" to write such a worthless article during that time period, either. It's sad how far we've regressed.
What a time to be alive. The world has gone nuclear soft these days.

fatmarco

The bot AI is the best I've seen in years to be honest. It's got some really good imitations of human play styles and actions, like the way they use pillars as cover and bob and weave around them.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Wish they had bots yelling voice lines like "I FUCKED UR MOM" or send death threats through XBL messages for maximum immersion.
I received, maybe it's like 10 or so years ago "bet ur fat" and to this day still find that funny. It was better back then, now you have tons of filters so you can only engage in non-toxic manner.

reksveks

Why does every thread need to have anti-SJW garbage in it? I know it's not just you but it's really weird. It's like some of ya'll are pre-emptively offended by everything.
It's weird. I think it's comicbook.com triggering the anti-sjw group by using a title that you assume an extreme leftist would use. I think they have seen that this works. Very few people in the mainstream are offending and those whom have noticed are probably also finding it funny.

Windows Central has a normal title.

Comicbook did the same shit with Jaffe recently.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

This was a bug, 343 told Eurogamer.

"An example of what could look like teabagging is a bug with bot traversal that was in the technical preview build," 343 said.

"It caused bots to fail to successfully jump and clamber on the edge of stairs or ramps. A bot's feet would leave the ground very briefly, then play a landing animation when they failed the jump, and they'd get stuck in an animation loop that could look like crouching rapidly. If that happened to be observed shortly after a kill, or near a player's body, it can definitely feel like an intentional behaviour. In reality, the bot was just struggling to go up the stairs.

"The bots are meant to be welcoming and fun for players of all skill levels, and a feature designed to taunt a player would oppose that goal."

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

2021's Halo Infinite received praise from the press and players alike for its multiplayer bots. In this episode, I explain how they work, and why they play the game much more like human players. The secret to their success is less about groundbreaking AI technology, and more about smart game design.

Chapters
[00:00] Intro
[01:03] The Design Challenge
[03:32] How Does It Work?
[06:58] Playing Like Humans
[12:38] Building Combat Confidence
[15:35] Playing the Objective
[17:29] Finishing Touches
[20:57] Closing
[22:15] Credits

• 🎮 Halo Infinite introduced AI-controlled bots in its multiplayer modes, which received high praise for their more natural and realistic playstyles, behaving like humans play Halo, and enabling players of all skill levels to engage in all-out spartan warfare.
  • 🌟 To meet the challenge of onboarding novice and seasoned players with different experiences of the series, 343 Industries developed bots for the multiplayer experience and The Academy, a new tutorialisation of the mechanics and gameplay systems of Halo multiplayer, utilizing the bots in service of its goals.
  • 🤖 Halo Infinite's bots are built from the ground-up using good old fashioned game AI and leverage the years of development that has already gone into AI-controlled characters for modern Halo titles. The Halo games continue to use Behaviour Trees as their primary mechanism for designing and implementing behaviours for their non-player characters.
  • 🎯 The core behavior of Halo's bots adheres to many of the common behavioral traits you would expect of a human player: naturally engaging in combat with enemies within an acceptable target range, picking up and delivering objectives, interacting with switches and other objects like vehicles, hiding from enemies, hunting down specific targets, contesting an item such as a power weapon and trying to stop other players taking it, collecting and using weapons and other special items either from the ground or from a fallen foe, traversing and patrolling the gameplay space looking for enemies, and guarding objectives, be it a location in a match of Stronghold.
  • 🤖 The bots in Halo Infinite rely on what is known as their 'confidence' in which it calculates which action it should take.
  • 🤖 The behaviour trees of the bots rely on a Utility AI system to decide which of the behaviour tree behaviours they should execute.
  • 🤖 Utility AI is a process in which different behaviours are ranked with a numeric value, and from that the AI then prioritises the highest ranking behaviour.
  • 🤖 In Halo Infinite, the bots use Utility AI to analyse the current game state, and from that it will decide which specific behaviour in the behaviour tree to prioritise.
  • 🤖 The Utility AI backend is adopted to make the bots even more effective in team games, given they use unique calculations to understand how Game Modes affect their strategy.
  • 🤖 When a given game mode is active, it introduces for the bots a suite of new ambitions for the game mode itself.
  • 🤖 In an objective-driven match, the bots can factor in whether to prioritise picking up the flag, fighting a nearby enemy player or grabbing the power weapon in a given moment.

Bragr

Banned
Still top 20 on Xbox Live.
Season 3 was a success.
What entails success though? Where did you hear that outside of the official channels?

I don't like using Xbox Live as a marker, because the top 7-8 are the top spots, under that you have a revolving door. I looked at the list right now, and it's at 14, under Ghostwire Tokyo.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
What entails success though? Where did you hear that outside of the official channels?

I don't like using Xbox Live as a marker, because the top 7-8 are the top spots, under that you have a revolving door. I looked at the list right now, and it's at 14, under Ghostwire Tokyo.
I consider a season a success if it pulls a bunch of players back in.
Infinite was out of the top 20 till season 3....since season 3 its been holding top 20.
If they can keep the seasons going at a steady pace the player count will remain at a good spot.

Sure its not doing Fortnite/Warzone/Apex/GTAO numbers, but its holding position and people playing dont have long wait times for matches and every game mode is populated.

What do you consider as "no one playing"?

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I consider a season a success if it pulls a bunch of players back in.
Infinite was out of the top 20 till season 3....since season 3 its been holding top 20.
If they can keep the seasons going at a steady pace the player count will remain at a good spot.

Sure its not doing Fortnite/Warzone/Apex/GTAO numbers, but its holding position and people playing dont have long wait times for matches and every game mode is populated.

What do you consider as "no one playing"?
But the top 20 is shifting, meaning, it might be doing the same numbers as before. I have no idea how many play it right now, but when I say no one, I mean I barely hear people talk about it, no one I know is playing it, and it's struggling to get views in places like Twitch. It feels very small to me.

Top Bottom