• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Multiplayer is out NOW

MrFunSocks

Banned
That issue that PUBG had is prevalent in my time with Infinite.

So many games where people ignore the objectives and focus on challenges. Or outright quit.

I also don't care for the progression but seemingly the vast majority does so the sooner they fix it the better.
People not playing objectives unfortunately is just objective modes in online games in generally unfortunately. Most people just want to get as many kills as they can on their favourite map with their favourite weapon. Remember as a kid when you'd play fighting games and you'd have those friends that would literally only ever be one character? Those are the people that never play the objective.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
This is part of the problem - you're one of those people who left me a man down in a CTF game just to pursue your damn challenges. Couldn't you just play the game and be patient and know you'll roll three slayers eventually?

This post right here is a perfect example of why the progression is fucking everyone.

And the last thing I personally care about is battle pass crap.

Hey man don't blame me, blame the system, I am obviously playing the game as 343 intended when they ignored the player feedback on the prior closed flight beta test where people told them this was happening.

There is also a noticeable lack of negative consequence for leaving a game early, so this must be by design.

Good news is there not only changing the XP system but the challenges themselves to hopefully be more generic to work hand in hand with people just playing the game normally, and while you might not give a flying fuck about the battlepass this will be the only reason most players stick around, because it sure as hell ain't the gameplay with the limited playlist selection.

So now we need to look at the ranking system, which seems to only count K/D and not points. You can play 10 placement matches with a friend and they can score higher every round by playing the objective, but if you go 10/1 K/D and never touch the objective you will be placed significantly higher in diamond or platinum vs low gold mostly silver for objective players with higher scores. So you will see in ranked especially noticeably in oddballs no one wants to pick it up, this is why.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Star Trek Reaction GIF

Assaulty

I've been having an absolute BLAST with Halo: Infinite. What is there is absolutely incredible. There are a few issue's I'm experiencing atm:

- Obviously Battlepass sucks but they are already making tweaks within a couple of days from now.

- Matchups seem to prioritize speed over fair matches. I am Onyx and ALWAYS, without fault, get some random platinum or low diamond player that has absolutely no clue how to play the game (I also think people get put into high plat/low diamond too easily, people should go 7-30 in a diamond lobby as a high plat/low diamond). I would prefer to be matched up with high diamonds/onyxes only and have fair and comp matches. The matches I did play against full teams that knew what they were doing was an absolute BLAST. It's not fun for lower ranked players and it sure as hell isn't fun for higher ranked players.

- Ticrate seems to be low on the servers or lag compensation is pretty high. Getting shot around walls way too often and BR battles can seem inconsistent

- No way of telling ping or what server you play on on Console. It's a guessing game right now.

- We need more maps (although I think we'll see them very quickly)

- Small complaint as I don't really play it, but social settings in this game SUCK. The AR really makes it impossible to play with tier 2 weapons, it's way too powerfull. Absolutely no skill gap in social settings, which is probably the whole reason the AR is tunes as it is.

But that's about it and all of those complaints are a fairly simple tweak away from beeing fixed. I am more than pleased with what I'm playing and it seems that the general consencus is very positive. Halo is finally back baby :messenger_sunglasses:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah, fingers crossed they get the progression and XP stuff fixed ASAP because it is genuinely the only main complaint I'm seeing for the game.

I'm sure they will sort it.

GHG

Gold Member
this might be the dumbest thing ive read on neogaf. and i've seen some doozies.
Maybe they should remove all the cars from that italian PC racing game u like...just give u one car and one track. And u have to buy the rest

Yeh you've pretty much outdone it straight away then considering you're talking about content that is core to the game vs some crap that has no impact, other than people thinking their character looks cool in the menus and during the match intros.

If I said take the guns, maps and game modes away then you'd have a point.

and while you might not give a flying fuck about the battlepass this will be the only reason most players stick around, because it sure as hell ain't the gameplay with the limited playlist selection.

90 Day Fiance Reaction GIF by TLC Europe

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
IMO if they want to have a broad appeal and a massive playerbase (that can be sustained), I think bringing back Warzone should be their #1 priority.

PvE modes are just more accessible to the average joe. And it's the best type of mode when you're not looking to sweat it out. If I were 343i I'd be prioritizing that big time.

Rikku-X

People not playing objectives unfortunately is just objective modes in online games in generally unfortunately. Most people just want to get as many kills as they can on their favourite map with their favourite weapon. Remember as a kid when you'd play fighting games and you'd have those friends that would literally only ever be one character? Those are the people that never play the objective.
And thats why they should just do Halo 2 level up system. I'm sorry but if you don't win, then you drop a level. True skill base system.

jigglet

Banned
In the beta you could press the R button to re-queue after a game. It's gone, now you have to navigate back to the main screen and press Play again. I wonder why.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Default skin is always best anyway because it feels amazing when you pimp slap these peacocks and dump your balls in their face.

james franco GIF

Sadly you can't because objects without player collision are client side, so when you kill someone the place there body lands is random, so you might be bouncing up and down on them, but for everyone else including the person you killed your just stood in the open teabagging nothing like a muppet.

Well they've gone and outdone themselves now, you don't even have to play the game to get the cosmetic. Hope that satisfies everyone.

What a load of bloody nonsense.

A good number of challenges didn't complete for players even when you complete the objective as they are bugged, so are you suggesting free 2 play players lose out on this because they won't buy swaps with real money? Or the free swap they got swaps from one broken challange to another?

No matter how many kills I get with the Cindershot I went 30-2 one game because that thing Is a beast. My "get one kill with a cindershot in PvP" won't complete despite playing quick match consistently.

Last edited:

Assaulty

And thats why they should just do Halo 2 level up system. I'm sorry but if you don't win, then you drop a level. True skill base system.

Halo 2's and 3's ranking system are incredibly outdated by now. CSR/MMR system are superior in every imaginable way. They do need to tweak the system a bit still tho as I feel like a lot of people are getting higher ranks than they deserve. IMO the game should reward damage done/taken/ obj more than just plain kills/deaths.

Sybrix

I am really loving this game.

The gameplay feels like Halo but also fresh at the same time.

A real step in the right direction and away from the Halo 4 and 5 crap.

The maps feel alive and not static (H5)

Cant wait for the full release

this is especially bad because I play with people on XBox and the ranked playlists are separated into controller only and Mouse & Keyboard only, so if I wanna play ranked with my friends
I need to use these god awful controller aim settings they have
puke GIF

if that wasn't the case it wouldn't even be that bad, because I could just use Steam controller settings to emulate a mouse on the right stick (which I did in the test flight) which feels SOOOO GOOD...
but I can't with the way ranked works
You can play mixed lobbies on ranked arena. So you shouldn't need to worry about having to change your preferred control method

Rikku-X

Halo 2's and 3's ranking system are incredibly outdated by now. CSR/MMR system are superior in every imaginable way. They do need to tweak the system a bit still tho as I feel like a lot of people are getting higher ranks than they deserve. IMO the game should reward damage done/taken/ obj more than just plain kills/deaths.
It's not superior even in the slightest and much slower as well. The system now only allows people to advance in level which just means they have played more and doesn't necessarily mean they're better. And that's why people don't do the objectives and only go for kills and battle pass unlocks.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Nah that’s not good. I’ve had plenty of times where I’ve carried my team and almost gotten a victory despite some people going like 2 and 20. It’s not skill based if it doesn’t take how you went individually into account.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Don't give a shit either, but a lot of people do.
But it's an easy fix, so whatever. Let them adjust

The trick is that people say "oh I don't give a shit" but what they really want to say is "people are leaving early so I want others to stop giving a shit so it stops effecting me"

Meaning they do actually give a shit it's just an extra step removed, however they just want to blame the players and not the developers who have created the system to purposefully foster this behaviour.

Last edited:
The trick is that people say "oh I don't give a shit" but what they really want to say is "people are leaving early so I want others to stop giving a shit so it stops effecting me"

Meaning they do actually give a shit it's just an extra step removed, however they just want to blame the players and not the developers who have created the system to purposefully foster this behaviour.
So you saying people leave games because of the bad progression system?
Well I can see that happen, but this won't effect those who only play ranked. People don't leave game for that reason.

So I still don't give a shit about Battle Pass progression. The only progression I care about is Rank/SR/MMR.

The only skins I care about are a few paid ones. Mostly Esports teams or other special stuff.
I have 1000 unopened loot boxes in Overwatch and 10k VBucks I didn't pay any real life money for.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So you saying people leave games because of the bad progression system?
Well I can see that happen, but this won't effect those who only play ranked. People don't leave game for that reason.

So I still don't give a shit about Battle Pass progression. The only progression I care about is Rank/SR/MMR.

The only skins I care about are a few paid ones. Mostly Esports teams or other special stuff.
I have 1000 unopened loot boxes in Overwatch and 10k VBucks I didn't pay any real life money for.

I believe some of the challenges required you to play ranked matches although I haven't had any yet. Also since ranked is currently based on your K/D and not objective points having 4/5 game modes being objective and not just Slayer means there seems to be a meta where people don't pick up the ball on odd ball or the flag in CTF, as that creates a 3/4 situation where one enemy is not shooting back making it easier to get kills.

That is what I mean about game decisions directly influencing the way people play and forcing them to engage into game modes they have no interest in for the sake of progression is never a good result.

Not engaging in cosmetics is great, but for a majority of the playerbase that's casual they do, a playerbase you need to foster into a community to retain players in ranked. It matters and people should care because at the end of the day there's no negative consequence if things improve for them, there is only the benefit of rewards dripping there way naturally to you as they become easier to obtain and the higher player retention that comes along with it.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Weapon charms are so lame. But I get that they need to monetize the game somehow. I just hope they keep this crap out of the single player.

Probably opening myself up to a barrage 'get good' comments here but some of my deaths make no sense on MP.

I can be shooting at an enemy with the main gun (rifle?).... The one that does short bursts every trigger press.. I can be laying a full clip into the enemy's head accurately and die first whilst the enemy who's using the same gun can be missing and gets takes me down not even unloading a full clip. I make sure I have a full shield too. Don't think I'm getting any lag.

Overall I'm doing pretty good in ranked and winning most but some of my deaths make no sense

Banjo64

cumsessed
Probably opening myself up to a barrage 'get good' comments here but some of my deaths make no sense on MP.

I can be shooting at an enemy with the main gun (rifle?).... The one that does short bursts every trigger press.. I can be laying a full clip into the enemy's head accurately and die first whilst the enemy who's using the same gun can be missing and gets takes me down not even unloading a full clip. I make sure I have a full shield too. Don't think I'm getting any lag.

Overall I'm doing pretty good in ranked and winning most but some of my deaths make no sense
I’d say that’s impossible. BR takes 3 body shots and a headshot to finish off the kill (4 bursts in total). There is absolutely 0 chance you are unloading a full clip in to an enemies head unless you are using the McDonald’s WiFi.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Are they running this promo in the UK? I’d be down for some Rockstar and Cheetos tonight.

Nope Canada and USA only, great huh.

Good news is the £60+ nerf gun rewards are available in the UK
CVYlMrX.jpg

As are the funko pop skin

lITp5Xg.png

images

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Tried it today and its pretty good. graphics felt much better in person now and fps barely dropped.
Challenges and battle pass progression needs changes. Gunplay is fun but there has to be some progression for average joe like me.

Top Bottom