• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

Fuchsdh

Alright chaps, Xbox One MCC bundle is only £190 on Amazon. I've been playing a bit of Halo CE on PC recently and it's a lot more fun than I remember.

Worth picking up a Bone?

Does it come with a free month of LIVE too?

Most everything should come with live at this point, yeah.

MCC + Sunset Overdrive + Halo 5 was well worth getting an XB1 for me.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Most everything should come with live at this point, yeah.

MCC + Sunset Overdrive + Halo 5 was well worth getting an XB1 for me.

My thinking is similar. There's also Tomb Raider.

It'll be my third console though, as well as owning a fairly strong gaming PC.

Choices, choices...

Don't worry guys. I'll keep this thread alive... with my face!
kSQs64I.gif

On a serious note, when playing through the campaign, several levels were really dark. I don't know if it was the game settings or on my tv, but I literally couldn't see what I was doing and it made exploring kind of pointless. I play on a plasma tv.

Montresor

I already beat all the MCC Halo games on normal so I'm starting them on co-op legendary now.

My brother and I started with Halo CE on legendary and it is a) damn satisfying, and b) not at all as frustrating as we thought it would be. But to be fair we are using Bandanna, haha. We're up to Two Betrayals now - just finished The Library.

I imagine Halo 2 will be equally fun/satisfying with minimal frustration since we will be playing it with Bandanna and Scarab Gun activated.

The real test will be Halo 3 which doesn't have any easy skulls like infinite ammo. Hopefully we don't get wrecked there.

Fuchsdh

kSQs64I.gif

On a serious note, when playing through the campaign, several levels were really dark. I don't know if it was the game settings or on my tv, but I literally couldn't see what I was doing and it made exploring kind of pointless. I play on a plasma tv.

Yeah it's like Sabre took the comments that CEA made some areas too light to heart, and overcompensated a little too much.

I usually crank my gamma a little higher than normal so it's not an issue for me. You might need to do the same.

Akai__

That post Halo 5 MCC support has been pretty great so far. RIP playlist management and RIP bug fixes. You had a good run MCC.

Crushed black settings on the Xbox One. MS will never fix those, because they think the colors really "pop".

Montresor

That post Halo 5 MCC support has been pretty great so far. RIP playlist management and RIP bug fixes. You had a good run MCC.

Are you still missing those last two achievements? Killjoys and Audio Log #6?

Thank the heavens, all my audio log achievements popped without issue.

And I still have faith in 343. Halo 5 just came out and they are scrambling to release more content for it. They have their hands full. That does NOT excuse MCC's problems, but I just don't think they have given up on it. The last patch released pretty recently.

Akai__

Are you still missing those last two achievements? Killjoys and Audio Log #6?

Thank the heavens, all my audio log achievements popped without issue.

And I still have faith in 343. Halo 5 just came out and they are scrambling to release more content for it. They have their hands full. That does NOT excuse MCC's problems, but I just don't think they have given up on it. The last patch released pretty recently.

Yup, but I also can't start the game since the last time I checked if those would unlock. It's stuck on Synching Data and doesn't do anything afterwards.

Frankie said the MCC team doesn't have anything to do with the Halo 5 team. Their only task is to work on MCC, but I somehow doubt that. Every time there was a new Halo the support for the old one died quickly and even promised patches were never released (see Halo 3 and Reach consolidation).

I just hit the back button and went classic mode in those parts.

My thinking is similar. There's also Tomb Raider.

It'll be my third console though, as well as owning a fairly strong gaming PC.

Choices, choices...

Just bought an xbox one for Halo mostly. Halo 5 is great so far, and feel like a return to form. Still have to pick up Halo MCC this weekend. I was on the fence on getting a Xbox but Halo 5 alone so far has made it worth it. No regrets. Also a lot of great deals on the Xbox one bundles these days.

I just hit the back button and went classic mode in those parts.

Crushed black settings on the Xbox One. MS will never fix those, because they think the colors really "pop".
Yeah it's like Sabre took the comments that CEA made some areas too light to heart, and overcompensated a little too much.

I usually crank my gamma a little higher than normal so it's not an issue for me. You might need to do the same.
Thanks. I'll check the levels on my tv.

So I have finally played through a few more warzone games and I'm really not sure what to make of it. Right now, I have nothing but the magnum and BR and i think i'm getting gunned down by people with power boosts and DMR's quite a bit. It's definitely just going to be my screw around playlist.

As such, I'm really looking forward to BTB without having to worry about what people have stashed or unlocked from requisition cards. Strangely enough, I'm even looking forward to forged levels. I think a lot of cool maps are going to get created by the community. And maybe I'm alone, but I feel like many of the multiplayer maps have way too much stuff going on. I have trouble sometimes distinguishing between teammates and opposing team players. It's gotten me killed on more than one occasion.

EDIT:
What armor are people rocking? I'm using the jumpmaster ripcord armor with the recon helmet and buckingham visor. Feeling good about it lol.
spartan

Fuchsdh

Thanks. I'll check the levels on my tv.

So I have finally played through a few more warzone games and I'm really not sure what to make of it. Right now, I have nothing but the magnum and BR and i think i'm getting gunned down by people with power boosts and DMR's quite a bit. It's definitely just going to be my screw around playlist.

As such, I'm really looking forward to BTB without having to worry about what people have stashed or unlocked from requisition cards. Strangely enough, I'm even looking forward to forged levels. I think a lot of cool maps are going to get created by the community. And maybe I'm alone, but I feel like many of the multiplayer maps have way too much stuff going on. I have trouble sometimes distinguishing between teammates and opposing team players. It's gotten me killed on more than one occasion.

EDIT:
What armor are people rocking? I'm using the jumpmaster ripcord armor with the recon helmet and buckingham visor. Feeling good about it lol.
spartan

H5 thread thataway, mate :)

H5 thread thataway, mate :)
Whoa I didn't even process the TMCC thread title this whole time or the past several weeks lol. I just always assume the community side thread is congruent with the gaming side... Whoops! How long before the gaming side thread gets moved over to the community section? Or will it?
i feel dumb

Fuchsdh

Whoa I didn't even process the TMCC thread title this whole time or the past several weeks lol. I just always assume the community side thread is congruent with the gaming side... Whoops! How long before the gaming side thread gets moved over to the community section? Or will it?
i feel dumb

Don't know the rules myself. We're almost to OT2, maybe after a month or so of release it gets moved?

I have to say after MCC's forcing you to restart matchmaking after ever game, I kind of find myself enjoying it versus the downtime and new match in Halo 5. I get distracted by REQ points and shiny stuff and end up in another match when I meant for that one to be the last one, or to switch to another mode.

Don't know the rules myself. We're almost to OT2, maybe after a month or so of release it gets moved?

I have to say after MCC's forcing you to restart matchmaking after ever game, I kind of find myself enjoying it versus the downtime and new match in Halo 5. I get distracted by REQ points and shiny stuff and end up in another match when I meant for that one to be the last one, or to switch to another mode.
Now that you mention it, going back to TMCC will be nice when I need a break from Halo 5. This is especially true since I play so much of the time solo. I'd complain and argue Halo 5 needs a mercenary playlist, but I suppose that would water down the player pool too much. But I still really want a mercenary playlist. I've been wanting that since Halo3/Reach.

Fuchsdh

Now that you mention it, going back to TMCC will be nice when I need a break from Halo 5. This is especially true since I play so much of the time solo. I'd complain and argue Halo 5 needs a mercenary playlist, but I suppose that would water down the player pool too much. But I still really want a mercenary playlist. I've been wanting that since Halo3/Reach.

What's Mercs again? I never played H2/H3 online much so I don't remember all the names for lists back in the day.

And yeah, I've been enjoying MCC as a palette cleanser (and I still have to grind all those H2A achievements, le sigh...) I really like Halo 5 but I also like the simpler gameplay too (although whoever mixed in H3 SWAT with the rest should do some penance to atone for their sins...)

What's Mercs again? I never played H2/H3 online much so I don't remember all the names for lists back in the day.
Mercenary Team Deathmatch was a playlist popularized by Call of Duty 4. It's Team Deathmatch without premade teams, you can only enter the playlist solo. It's a fantastic idea that has been wanted in Halo for a long time now.

And yeah, I've been enjoying MCC as a palette cleanser (and I still have to grind all those H2A achievements, le sigh...) I really like Halo 5 but I also like the simpler gameplay too (although whoever mixed in H3 SWAT with the rest should do some penance to atone for their sins...)
Barrow Roll's got you covered. For as much as people complain about graphics, I still love playing combat evolved in TMCC. So much so that the graphics don't even register to me anymore. I know they're old, but the game-play just feels so good to me. Which is why I really think I'm going to enjoy the forge maps in Halo 5. As long as the map design is solid I'm going to really have a good time.

Played Halo 5 for a little over a week. Was ok. Lots of aspects of it just rub me the wrong way. Really it comes down to "game feels good, but doesn't have the small details that make it feel like a true halo game to me".

Meanwhile went back to MCC while playing Tomb raider on the side. (Is great thus far btw) I really missed the map design of 2/3. All the maps play so well. The only maps I wasn't fond of were Gemini in 2 and foundry/construct in 3. The map design in 5 just irks me so much. Too many sight lines, cover too easy to grenade.

I really wish MCC had had its time. There are still big issues. My friend tried to play with a group of us last night, and the game always crashes back to home. He's reinstalled, hard reset, everything. Just keeps crashing. If it was
Bug free and had LAN, I'd be playing MCC for the next decade probably.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Played Halo 5 for a little over a week. Was ok. Lots of aspects of it just rub me the wrong way. Really it comes down to "game feels good, but doesn't have the small details that make it feel like a true halo game to me".

Meanwhile went back to MCC while playing Tomb raider on the side. (Is great thus far btw) I really missed the map design of 2/3. All the maps play so well. The only maps I wasn't fond of were Gemini in 2 and foundry/construct in 3. The map design in 5 just irks me so much. Too many sight lines, cover too easy to grenade.

I really wish MCC had had its time. There are still big issues. My friend tried to play with a group of us last night, and the game always crashes back to home. He's reinstalled, hard reset, everything. Just keeps crashing. If it was
Bug free and had LAN, I'd be playing MCC for the next decade probably.

Yup, I knew I would continue to hate the direction 343i was taking Halo even a couple years ago. But as soon as MCC was announced I was absolutely psyched - I even said it at it's reveal: "Do whatever the fuck you want with Halo. So long as MCC, and specifically H2, have a small but steady community - and the servers stay up for the next decade - I really don't give a shit about future Halo games."

The thought of playing Halo 2, consistently, with a good and friendly community (not the latest new game bandwagon jumpers), at 1080p/60fps sounded perfect. MCC collection is my second biggest disappointment in ~20 years of gaming after The Old Republic.

Tried playing it again at a friend's a couple weeks ago - three crashes, always kicked to lobby, and it took forever to find matches - and the playlists still aren't great.

Yup, I knew I would continue to hate the direction 343i was taking Halo even a couple years ago. But as soon as MCC was announced I was absolutely psyched - I even said it at it's reveal: "Do whatever the fuck you want with Halo. So long as MCC, and specifically H2, have a small but steady community - and the servers stay up for the next decade - I really don't give a shit about future Halo games."

The thought of playing Halo 2, consistently, with a good and friendly community (not the latest new game bandwagon jumpers), at 1080p/60fps sounded perfect. MCC collection is my second biggest disappointment in ~20 years of gaming after The Old Republic.

Tried playing it again at a friend's a couple weeks ago - three crashes, always kicked to lobby, and it took forever to find matches - and the playlists still aren't great.

What I find crazy is that it's STILL broken for many people. What's worse is that there are people who don't have problems so they act as though you're lying.

I like all the Halo games for different reasons. Well, Bungie era anyways. If I had to pick an MP game, I'd probably pick H3, but I just like the balance in 3. If I want maps I'll play 2. H1 I'll usually play for a mix up. I want to play split screen with my friends, and all of 343's endeavors in split screen run poorly to say the least, so MCC is where it's at these days. Provided it doesn't crash.

IronWarrior

Neo Member

Everything is just so wonky. You've got SMG starts for Halo 2. And then you've got a strange mix of settings for Halo 4 BTB: in BTB Slayer you have preset loadouts, in CTF you can use your custom loadouts with armor abilities...it's so bizarre.

Not that it matters much. Given how many issues I run into with matchmaking I tend to stick with Team Slayer and BTB, since they're the only ones that work (sort of) reliably.

I'm still running into matches ending at 5 kills and games that kick you back to the menu after loading. As well, all playlists are still plagued by the annoying bug that freezes the search with only one player spot left to fill (which you either wait out for the search to restart or drop back to the lobby).

I didn't much like Halo 5 and Halo 4 wasn't my favorite either, so hopefully we'll get MCC on PC someday down the line. It would be incredible to see mods happen too (2x scope on the Halo 3 pistol? :O)

Haines

Banned
Trying to play this while I wait for halo 5 goes on sale.

Matchmaking isn't working. Is it seriously this bad still or did everyone just go to 5

Fuchsdh

D'oh. Forgot to boot up for the 15th achievement.

Just take your Xbox offline and get them that way :)

Nearly done with the Halo 5 achievements, then I'm going to go back to MCC and work on them again. Switching multiplayer modes is sort of frustrating (mostly lack of sprint) but also stripped down in a satisfying way. All the new stuff giveth, but it also taketh away.

Montresor

Does anyone here have tips for the Return Of Megg achievement in Halo 2 MCC?

It has the following requirements:

*Play the campaign level Cairo Station on Legendary difficulty
*Thunderstorm skull must be active
*Play the whole level without being damaged

If you meet the above requirements you'll hear a "Megg"-related easter egg over the intercom and you'll get an achievement.

Is it possible to do this co-op? The TA.com guides don't mention it specifically - just one person (not the guide writers) commented saying he thinks it's not possible in co-op.

Montresor

Use the Scarab Gun skull. Take it slow. Easy achievement. :)

If it's an easy achievement then that's fine. I was concerned about being forced to play a difficult Legendary level twice (once on co-op with my brother, where Return Of Megg is possibly disabled, and then again on solo to get Return Of Megg).

I'll go through the legendary campaign in co-op then return to Cairo Station later to easily mop up with the Scarab Gun. =)

Fuchsdh

If it's an easy achievement then that's fine. I was concerned about being forced to play a difficult Legendary level twice (once on co-op with my brother, where Return Of Megg is possibly disabled, and then again on solo to get Return Of Megg).

I'll go through the legendary campaign in co-op then return to Cairo Station later to easily mop up with the Scarab Gun. =)

That achievement sounded impossible, but then I checked and I did it a while ago, so I think you should be fine. :) I would just make sure you steer clear of any edges (that might be slightly different in classic vs. remastered, or just play in classic) and when in doubt blast everything. I had to quickly dashboard a couple of times when I killed myself but once you're used to the Scarab skull and know not to go crazy with it, it's not too bad.

My current frustration: par time for Regret is my last time-based achievement (aside from H1 and H2 Legendary in sub three hours.) But I cannot for the life of me make the first grenade jump across the broken bridge, even with Sputnik on. I come up way short or just make it to the very bottom lip, which leaves me at an incline I cannot climb up. I have no idea what my problem is, when people have videos showing them doing it even without Sputnik.

Montresor

Fuchsdh (and anyone else), are there are a lot of par time achievements that do NOT fall under this category:

*Play on easy, and without trying, without any headache, easily rush through any enemy encounter and run to the end

I've played so much of MCC so far but I still have par time to go through - wondering what I'm in for.

Some of those par times are rudiculous to me. Is it even possible to beat Assault on the control room in 15 minutes? If so it must be really really close, even on easy.

Toa TAK

Banned
You guys should've seen the Halo one on CE.

I had about 30 seconds left on that par time achievement. The trick is just getting that grenade jump the first time.

OR START OVER.

Fuchsdh

Fuchsdh (and anyone else), are there are a lot of par time achievements that do NOT fall under this category:

*Play on easy, and without trying, without any headache, easily rush through any enemy encounter and run to the end

I've played so much of MCC so far but I still have par time to go through - wondering what I'm in for.

Some of those par times are rudiculous to me. Is it even possible to beat Assault on the control room in 15 minutes? If so it must be really really close, even on easy.

I think doing everything on easy and going on a tear generally works. I did AOTCR "legit", although you probably do need to steal that banshee at the end rather than fighting down and then up the pyramid. On Legendary you absolutely do need to do the bridge descent, which I'm currently failing hard at. Also, a coop partner can help speed things along if you absolutely have to clear areas out to proceed (like on Halo).

I'm not sure about doing Regret on easy by just running along, just because there's so many gondolas and waiting time. I might do it just to get that achievement and worry about doing it on Legendary later when I'm not so frustrated, but all that I have left besides those are LASO H1 and ODST, and multiplayer achievements&#8212;so it's frustration all around :p I basically have to do the Keyes bump and bridge descent to get <3 hours on Legendary for CE (maybe even the grenade jump on T&R) and I've just failed so many times. Le sigh.

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member

It's possible with the bridge trick, which will also helpfully despawn all enemies for the rest of the mission.

Think I clocked in around 14 minutes or so. Barely got it, but I spent alot of time trying to get down from the bridge successfully.

malfcn

Just take your Xbox offline and get them that way :)

Nearly done with the Halo 5 achievements, then I'm going to go back to MCC and work on them again. Switching multiplayer modes is sort of frustrating (mostly lack of sprint) but also stripped down in a satisfying way. All the new stuff giveth, but it also taketh away.

That works? What date will the achievement display as unlocked when I go online?

Fuchsdh

That works? What date will the achievement display as unlocked when I go online?

I'm pretty sure the date will list when you unlocked it (mine read as September 9.)

I loved how in the old H3 days though you'd have achievements unlocked in the language you chose. Until I had to recover my gamertag all the H3 Lone Wolves achievements I boosted were in Thai :)

Montresor

Just wanted to chime in to say that as much grief as MCC has given me (in terms of general bugginess, especially related to achievements), I'm so glad that I played through its games.

Before October of this year I knew nothing about the following terms/people:

Reclaimer
Forerunner
Dr. Halsey
ONI
UNSC
Spartan programs
Elites
Covenant Council
Prophets of Regret, Truth, Mercy
Gravemind
Miranda Keyes
Index
Library
Reach
The Arbiter
ODSTs
etc...

I played Halo 1 on 360 but never really delved into the above terms very much. But now that I've properly played through 1, 2, 3, ODST, Reach, and 4 (and I'm halfway through 5), I'm definitely deeply immersed in Halo lore. I'm really pleased with this franchise and I hope it continues.

malfcn

That's one thing I don't want to try.

I think it took about 2 hours to do Cairo Station.
The exploit of one spawning the partner doesn't work, one death and it's a checkpoint.

And those Plasma Rifles and everything else are beastly. Just a few shots and your shields are gone, gone, gone.

Fuchsdh

I think it took about 2 hours to do Cairo Station.
The exploit of one spawning the partner doesn't work, one death and it's a checkpoint.

And those Plasma Rifles and everything else are beastly. Just a few shots and your shields are gone, gone, gone.

I've found Naked Eli's speed runs on Youtube the best resource for solo Legendary. He explains each trick and doesn't usually attempt the crazy ones, so it's far easier for a less dedicated player to follow along and speed things up.

Just wanted to chime in to say that as much grief as MCC has given me (in terms of general bugginess, especially related to achievements), I'm so glad that I played through its games.

Before October of this year I knew nothing about the following terms/people:

Reclaimer
Forerunner
Dr. Halsey
ONI
UNSC
Spartan programs
Elites
Covenant Council
Prophets of Regret, Truth, Mercy
Gravemind
Miranda Keyes
Index
Library
Reach
The Arbiter
ODSTs
etc...

I played Halo 1 on 360 but never really delved into the above terms very much. But now that I've properly played through 1, 2, 3, ODST, Reach, and 4 (and I'm halfway through 5), I'm definitely deeply immersed in Halo lore. I'm really pleased with this franchise and I hope it continues.

That's an awful lot to take in in just a month or two. Surprised you can list all that off like that! Pretty cool.
Must have been kind of wild to get all that information in such a short time. It took 10 years for a lot of us and there were a lot of mysteries and theories.

I assume youve only played the games and not gotten into the books or comics yet. Did you feel like 4 had enough context for its events to still make sense? Did it leave you confused about anything?

How about what you've played of 5 so far? Same question.

clav

Every time I play Halo 3, I'm reminded how much it sucks.

Stop picking that stupid Midship clone map with too many ramps and yellow windows.

How come no one wants to play 1 or 2?

clav

Oh Assembly? Not my favorite either.

Why is it in rotation?

Map is horrible, and everytime it shows up, people pick it because it says 3.

In fact, it's either that map or Snowbound original, not Boundless.

I'd rather play Halo 2's original settings maps or Halo 1 for throwback.

Top Bottom