• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 |OT| Warranty For Suckers

Tecnniqe

Banned
God damn people are fucking stupid. Just played two rounds of Blitz where my teammates would capture a point...then immediately pull out all troops and haphazardly attack other spots or just FUCKING HIDE IN A CORNER OF THE MAP. Super frustrating. People played better in the Beta FFS.
Lmao

Bear in mind most people won't get on until later so today so give it a few hours and it'll probably improve :p

First time I acquired a key from CDKeys. I haven't received a mail nor can I find the key in my account section. Anybody know what gives?

fast_taker

well the next couple of hours I will be upgrading some domain controllers at work and then it's Halo time!!! Looking forward to killing brutes woot woot woot

Cranster

Banned
I completed the tutorials and the first two missions and so far I'm enjoying the game. Just getting use to the slight control tweaks from the first Halo Wars. Going to get some sleep though as I have work later tomorrow night but I plan on playing more before work if I have time after running errands.

Is it just me or do others have the urge to play ordinary Halo game missions in between Halo Wars missions? Like I want to get into a first person view of one of the battles and feel how it is like to be boots on the ground!

zeox

Some impressions from about 2-3 hours of play (a mix of campaign and skirmish, can't seem to find a multiplayer game to save my life) of the PC version, with keyboard and mouse

- They implemented a push-to-talk feature that's on by default. Awesome!
Except it's not on by default, even though it says it is on (I haven't been able to get it to work at all).
- If you mute your mic with the in game option, it won't be muted the next time you boot the game, even though the setting indicates the mic is muted.
- The minimap click-through bug that was in the blitz beta is also still in the game (at least in the campaign), even though they said they had fixed it.
- Not being able to set units to hold position is infuriating
- The unit pathing is usually good, but sometimes some units will get stuck in geometry or otherwise just completely derp out
- Camera-location hotkeys! Massive props for this feature!
- It runs like absolute butter so far. Haven't seen a single drop below 60fps. I'm running the game at 1440p with a 1080, for those wondering. CPU is a 4770k.
- The missions seem pretty cool so far. Lots of optional and bonus objectives, for those that want that stuff
- Really disappointed to see there won't be a map editor, but glad to see they aren't charging for new maps.
- Not really a fan of having to go back to base every time I want to build something/research something. Unless I am missing something?

I'm enjoying it so far, even though most of the stuff I wrote down is negative. I'll be playing this all day, so expect more impressions throughout the day

Akai__

Is it just me or do others have the urge to play ordinary Halo game missions in between Halo Wars missions? Like I want to get into a first person view of one of the battles and feel how it is like to be boots on the ground!

I made that same post a couple years ago + several about how Sparrowhawks, Grizzly's and Locust's should be in a FPS Halo game.

HW1 had some really good stuff. Can't wait to get home and see what else I can find in HW2 that I haven't seen in the Beta yet.

Zurick

Banned
How the FUCK do you folks get this to download? My drive has 3tb and I keep getting a god damned error halfway through. 0X80073CF9

Fuck the windows store up its stupid fucking ass.

shoreu

In Blitz? Quick match uses your favorite leader which can be selected in the deck editing. Find match prompts you to choose.

I don't think regular multiplayer ever locks you in but maybe I missed it.

In regular it just selected cutter for me and locked me in

Werd

Speaking of needing to carry Blitz teammates, this Blitz enemy kill count was destiny.
Dlw0taf.jpg

zeox

finally found a game, and found out that once you get in game your mic settings get reset. so if you have push-to-talk on and mute mic on, your mic will switch to continuous and will no longer be muted. amazing.
edit: this is also not represented in the settings

My first 1v1 was against a lvl 10 and all he did was rush/spam Sentinels, he defeated me in less than 10 mins.

So my next game was a 2v2. So I just picked Anders and spammed Sentinels.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I wonder if a Natural Selection style game could work for Halo.

Danny 117

Does anyone know how the AI is able to use cleansing beam on me in the campaign even when they don't have line of sight? Super annoying and cheap as hell.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

That's kinda how Halo came to be in the first place. Chucky messing with camera positions.

Nere

Okey some impressions after a couple of skirmish battles:
- Game is an awesome strategy game, more complicated than the first game with more units, powers etc
- Graphics are really great and runs great
- AI is really brutal I put it heroic because I am a strategy veteran and already at around 8-10min I was attacked by an enormous enemy force, literally the whole screen was full of enemy units, which I couldn't defend, switched to normal and AI again attacked pretty early with less forces though.
- Controls are awful and I am playing on PC. You might ask how can they fuck up controls for a Pc strategy game well they did, why the fuck is the menu on F10? why is zoom in and zoom out in page up and down? Who the fuck puts zoom over there instead of mouse wheel?
- I don't like how the neutral bases and reactors are undefended. They got it right on the first Halo wars with the bases belonging to rebels and stuff which needed to be defeated to capture them but now nobody is defending them and they can be captured right from the start of the game which feels weird, granted I only played 1 map so maybe on other maps neutral bases are actually defended would like a confirmation about this if anyone knows please.

iFirez

I'm enjoying the campaign so far. The CG cutscenes much less frequent than the first game though which is a little disappointing, I liked that way of storytelling not these loading screen radio chatter conversations.

Tecnniqe

Banned
- Game is an awesome strategy game, more complicated than the first game with more units, powers etc
- AI is really brutal I put it heroic because I am a strategy veteran and already at around 8-10min I was attacked by an enormous enemy force, literally the whole screen was full of enemy units, which I couldn't defend, switched to normal and AI again attacked pretty early with less forces though.
- Controls are awful and I am playing on PC. You might ask how can they fuck up controls for a Pc strategy game well they did, why the fuck is the menu on F10? why is zoom in and zoom out in page up and down? Who the fuck puts zoom over there instead of mouse wheel?
- I don't like how the neutral bases and reactors are undefended. They got it right on the first Halo wars with the bases belonging to rebels and stuff which needed to be defeated to capture them but now nobody is defending them and they can be captured right from the start of the game which feels weird, granted I only played 1 map so maybe on other maps neutral bases are actually defended would like a confirmation about this if anyone knows please.
To me the default menu bind was awkward but not an issue as it's common now I think and for the mouse wheel it's better imo to scroll unit selection then zooming out and in. Camera is already pretty close and should be at max (90?) by default tbh.

I do hope based and neutral structures have good units around them, was pretty cool in the first.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've never played a Play Anywhere game - I know you can't play across platforms, but the saves are cross compatible between the Xbone and PC versions?

Tecnniqe

Banned
So has the DE got an update too? Has it left early access now?
Good question. I haven't checked that.

Regardless of it being out or not there was only some minor technical issues but nothing that would stop you playing and enjoying the game.

Tecnniqe

Banned
The Ultimate edition must of done really well. I'm getting into matches in pretty quickly.
Good to hear.

I wonder what the player count is on both platforms.
It's an RTS after all and $80 for 2 games and a season pass.

Think most will manage to disregard the Store on PC for that price (or lower third party sites).

F10 as pause menu, pageup and down as zoom have been industry standard since like... Command and Conquer 1? Starcraft? Warcraft 3? Every classic PC RTS game uses F10 as pause menu because Esc is an important action button as cancel selection/cancel order, and mouse wheel is an important tool to cycle units in groups. Also I'm 100% sure mouse wheel zoom and Alt+mouse rotation are available options.

Werd

Anyone else have issues with campaign optional objectives? Im doing my first playthrough on normal so I can freely do all that, look for phoenix logs and such... but now 2 of the 5 missions I did show as 0 optional completed.

Anyone else have issues with campaign optional objectives? Im doing my first playthrough on normal so I can freely do all that, look for phoenix logs and such... but now 2 of the 5 missions I did show as 0 optional completed.

Press F9 on PC to see what the side objectives are.

Werd

I was, went around doing them specifically and saw them completed on the score screen. I meant the progress disappeared at some point and now reads zero. Maybe it won't effect the achievements, who knows.

Lucifon

Just played a few rounds of Blitz in my lunch hour on work PC. Controls feel really bad on PC, very unresponsive and fiddly. Honestly much prefer using a pad. This is definitely an Xbox game to me but it's cool to have both versions.

Do blitz packs / cards all sync between xbox/pc too?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Just played a few rounds of Blitz in my lunch hour on work PC. Controls feel really bad on PC, very unresponsive and fiddly. Honestly much prefer using a pad. This is definitely an Xbox game to me but it's cool to have both versions.

Do blitz packs / cards all sync between xbox/pc too?
Should save to the Xbox/MS account, so yes, it should.

I wonder if the weird feeling is a server issue because I didn't feel it was bad in the beta but then again I went straight from the DE into it more or less.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Enjoying the game so far, but my biggest disappoint so far is the
lack of blur cinematic between each mission. I feel like there is no character building or emotion that the first game gave to us. Right now they say that Douglas died, but did he?
I am only on mission 5 at this point.

Zurick

Banned
tfXFQh3.png

FUCK Windows Store. The only place I can buy a game, never download it (through no fault of my own) and still have the ability to purchase $100 worth of shit for the game I can't even fucking download.

B3N1

Come the fuck on with the leader powers in Campaign.

Doing Under the Dark on Heroic right now, savescumming, but it's still so stupid. I have Kodiaks, Cyclopses and Snipers spread out in 3 groups, so that enemy won't stun them. Haha, fuck no. Stuns 1 group (which renders them technically dead for that fight), pink beam, pink blast, the blue shit and I have 2 fucking snipers left, and then enemy pops goddamn invincibility.

Gave up on bonus objectives already, as it's totally dependent on my luck whether the enemy targets a Kodiak or not with the beam.

Feels like playing Split/Second.

So far the Campaign isn't bad, but also not as memorable as HW1. Starting off with the sandbox missions, when units are limited wasn't a good idea in my opinion. And damn, these missions are long, this one could've been a 2-parter easily.

Top Bottom