• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 |OT| Warranty For Suckers

Hawk269

hmmm game wont launch. I get the Halo Wars 2 splash screen, it sits for a few seconds and goes back to the dashboard (Xbox One). Tried it 3 times, last time it sat at the splash screen for about 15 seconds, then went to the dashboard. Doing a cold boot of the system right now.,,,arggghhh....now it is going through the update, so hopefully after that I will be good to go.

Hawk269

so I go to play and it needs 2.8 GB

what the fucking fuck, what was the point of me preloading it last week.

gg ms.

Yeah, kind of weird unless the patch is coming in hot and was just recently released. I am downloading at 155.55 MB/S so it should be done pretty quick.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Yeah, kind of weird unless the patch is coming in hot and was just recently released. I am downloading at 155.55 MB/S so it should be done pretty quick.

Hopefully this fixes the bugs some reviews have mentioned? It better...

Zuzzissm0

Do you believe that's really the case or is it possibly setup for Halo 6?

the season pass has story dlc but man you could be right because atriox is "non existing" in the game. in fact that would be great for halo 6 but i doubt it that 343 can do this after the shit story of H5. and than the main character would be jerome...

DrBo42

Gotta ask a shitty question, sorry guys. Is this deep enough for those that play PC RTS games or is it held back by the X1?

Syf

Banned
Interested, but waiting on impressions from people playing the PC version who can compare it to other PC RTS. I think I know what to expect as far as the strategy elements and play style but the feel of the controls will be the deciding factor for me.

Controls seem gimped on M&K but I've only played the first mission.
Pls post more about that when you've played more

Avallon

Interested, but waiting on impressions from people playing the PC version who can compare it to other PC RTS. I think I know what to expect as far as the strategy elements and play style but the feel of the controls will be the deciding factor for me.

Well, so far I've found that you have to hold down Alt if you want to zoom/rotate the camera and using the Warthogs "R" ability (Ram) deselects the unit. WASD moves the camera so I haven't figured out attack moving yet.

shoreu

I've noticed an input glitch for when I'm playing blitz I can't select my units at the start of the match

RoKKeR

First hour of the campaign is great. Amazing cinematics and I'm digging the setup so far. Lots of great animations around the bases, too - can't wait to build them up even bigger.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

- mouse and keyboard are fine for me.
- its super simple. esp if youve played mobas.
- q for local units and e for ALL UNITS
- i thought firefight co op could be played online with randos, it cannot. you need a squad.
- change your default zoom to max (90~ something) or else everything seems super zoomed in
- it runs like butter for me.
- F10 IS PAUSE MENU not esc for some reason

will post more later sleepynow

edit few more.
- campaign seems fine =/ kinda boring ish.
- maps are nice,imo i heard a YT say it wasn't halo like, i wouldn't know. i haven't played halo since 2
- everything feels kinda squad based, like dawn of war 40k (1, not 2)
- do not go into this expecting "all units. rush in", you are gonna have to learn to micro at some point, or on higher difficulties

honestly the basics are there. like resource "management" (or total chaos if youre like me). squad management. basic rock, paper, scissors style game play. just dont expect AOE or AOM (titans). like if i were to put it into words...think dawn of war meets xcom? i dunno. maybe someone can put it better. i just know halo wars 2 is simple fun and i don't mind the console controls. its a great port imo.

Without actually testing 21:9 I believe all the Xbox games does support it and I think the DE did so too?

If you mean ultra widescreen, I'm playing it at 2560x1080 no problems. UI isn't stretched, and the big cinematics fill the screen and don't have black borders.

tumblr_meok5gkrNf1rxmai6o1_500.gif

Unfortunately, the PC port's control bindings menu is an absolute garbage fire. No unbinding, no multibinding, numlock keys are treated all as one key, attempts to rebind keys result in bindings being assigned to alternate keybindings instead, the menu itself is disastrously organised, the UI tells you that an existing key is bound but doesn't tell you which control it's actually bound to so you can change it quickly, no support for extra mouse buttons beyond mouse 1 and mouse 2...

That menu alone is enough to push this port into "shit port" territory. Seriously, the stuff TB demonstrates in the video is absolutely inexcusable.

Werd

You can unbind, you hit the key that is already bound and it removes it.

It is terribly organized and slow though.

ghostjoke

Banned
Unfortunately, the PC port's control bindings menu is an absolute garbage fire. No unbinding, no multibinding, numlock keys are treated all as one key, attempts to rebind keys result in bindings being assigned to alternate keybindings instead, the menu itself is disastrously organised, the UI tells you that an existing key is bound but doesn't tell you which control it's actually bound to so you can change it quickly, no support for extra mouse buttons beyond mouse 1 and mouse 2...

That menu alone is enough to push this port into "shit port" territory. Seriously, the stuff TB demonstrates in the video is absolutely inexcusable.

WHY WOULD YOU DO ANY OF THAT? A single one of these is irritating but all together!

holyconfessor

Neo Member
First impressions after a couple of hours with the PC version of the game:

Campaign is fun so far. The cutscenes are gorgeous but I have noticed hitches here and there when they play and audio quickly cutting in and out. The campaign also runs really well. Controls are kind of strange and the keybinds are kind of a mess to change.

Multiplayer is where I've had some serious issues. I played a few Blitz matches and 1v1 runs well but 2v2 and 3v3 is a mess. It was a complete slideshow in the 3 matches I tried. It could just be the servers crapping out as my specs are decently powerful with an i5-4690k, 1070 and 16GB RAM. If they can fix the issues in multiplayer I can easily see me sinking a ton of time in this game.

I got the Ultimate Edition physical in the post yesterday here in Norway, got to play a couple of missions of the campaign. Seems good, the presentation and cinematics are great. The controls seem to have a lot of shortcuts to learn, but I'm guessing I'll get more used to it after a while.

My achievements popped but didn't show until today as I guess it was locked until midnight.

Got to play a bit of Halo Wars: Definitive Edition too. Holds up well actually, but I see the improvements made to the sequel very clearly now!

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
First impressions after a couple of hours with the PC version of the game:

Campaign is fun so far. The cutscenes are gorgeous but I have noticed hitches here and there when they play and audio quickly cutting in and out. The campaign also runs really well. Controls are kind of strange and the keybinds are kind of a mess to change.

Multiplayer is where I've had some serious issues. I played a few Blitz matches and 1v1 runs well but 2v2 and 3v3 is a mess. It was a complete slideshow in the 3 matches I tried. It could just be the servers crapping out as my specs are decently powerful with an i5-4690k, 1070 and 16GB RAM. If they can fix the issues in multiplayer I can easily see me sinking a ton of time in this game.

980ti 8gb. skirmish was fine with 2v2. so its probably the servers. but i wouldn't rule out anything just yet.

Werd

While on PC hotkeys I'll mention I worked out a hotkey setup for the base slots that I'm liking now. By default they are on alt + ` through 7 which I found was too awkward to be worth actually using over the mouse.

I thought the radial shortcuts physically mirroring the on screen radial (a circle of keys around S/D) worked pretty well, so I did the same thing with the base slots. Ctrl + R, F & V for the plots on the right side, Ctrl + Q, A & Z for those on the left, W/E for the HQ and X/C for the final bottom slot.

Granted all attempts to use the base slot shortcuts seem pretty silly next to actual hotkeys for buildings or being able to control group them (which I mentioned earlier, you can't), but it still at least sped up the production a bit for me.

zeox

I haven't figured out attack moving yet.

right clicking is an attack move.
there are a couple of things about the pc controls that really puzzle me, like using the scrollwheel to go through units within a group instead of using tab like EVERY OTHER RTS (and you can't remap this either) etc

Werd

right clicking is an attack move.
there are a couple of things about the pc controls that really puzzle me, like using the scrollwheel to go through units within a group instead of using tab like EVERY OTHER RTS (and you can't remap this either) etc

It should be changeable obviously, but this is one I actually do like. The mouse wheel is both faster IMO and allows to scroll both ways. Given some of the other lacking controls I've been using the feature far more than in other RTS.

And it was only used for zoom in SC2 which was functionally near useless and most people just left at max anyway. Fine hiding that behind just an extra alt push.

So bought the Ultimate Edition... It's pretty good so far (PC)...

How do I download/play Halo Wars 1 DE? Microsoft Store (ugh) says it's DLC that I own and won't let me DL it.

Tecnniqe

Banned
It should be changeable obviously, but this is one I actually do like. The mouse wheel is both faster IMO and allows to scroll both ways. Given some of the other lacking controls I've been using the feature far more than in other RTS.

And it was only used for zoom in SC2 which was functionally near useless and most people just left at max anyway. Fine hiding that behind just an extra alt push.
Mouse wheel is nice imo

ElRenoRaven

Oh shit. Glad I checked out the thread. I didn't realize it hit tonight for ultimate edition purchasers. First tutorial done and now off to bed. Tomorrow will be fun.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
God damn people are fucking stupid. Just played two rounds of Blitz where my teammates would capture a point...then immediately pull out all troops and haphazardly attack other spots or just FUCKING HIDE IN A CORNER OF THE MAP. Super frustrating. People played better in the Beta FFS.

Theorry

In addition, on the Live Stream, Dan Ayoub just stated that New Content will be released monthly on the 3rd Wednesday of every month for the next six months. He also mentioned that additional MAPS will not be part of Season Pass and there won't be a fee because they do not want to splinter the online community.

BTW...Great OP Tech. You should add the prices for Blitz Packs to the OP

Nice. :)

Werd

So what's up with it locking you into characters you don't pick

In Blitz? Quick match uses your favorite leader which can be selected in the deck editing. Find match prompts you to choose.

I don't think regular multiplayer ever locks you in but maybe I missed it.

Played the first three missions on Legendary and it's pretty simple. Going to play a bit of MP then head to bed. I'm liking it so far.

Top Bottom