• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloFest (November 8-11): Halo 5 Beta & Halo: Nightall premieres and more

naeS

Fans all over the world are invited to join the festivities via a live broadcast on Xbox Live, Xbox.com and Twitch, beginning at 8 p.m. PT.

Thank jesus. I'm all over this.

Fair point but would you rather watch pros play the game or journalists?

The idea is to show halo in its best light which happens when being played by the best players.

Right, I would almost prefer a pre-done trailer. You know there's going to be commentary and such.

It just feels presumptuous to me- same as they've done with Evolve having pro players with announcers at trade shows.

Idk, game marketing is weird.

They shouldn't have pros playing pros. It should be pros vs joes. Make it as funny as possible with them just toying around with the other team.

TheXbox

I'm very interested in the Halo 5 situation. Obviously, they're going to showcase the competitive arena side of things first and foremost, but I wonder how much junk is going to be carried over from 4. We know there won't be AAs, and they'd be out of their minds if they included ordnance again... Right? (I know there's spartan abilities, whatever the fuck that is)

I'll take whatever they show with a grain of salt, and the impressions of professionals and players even less so. Don't know how many times I heard "Feels like Halo :D" when fans got their hands on Halo 4. Turned out to be utter bullshit.

Beta will be a good indicator of what's to come. Hopefully. A year is a long time to make a good thing a lot worse.

ElRenoRaven

I'm very interested in the Halo 5 situation. Obviously, they're going to showcase the competitive arena side of things first and foremost, but I wonder how much junk is going to be carried over from 4. We know there won't be AAs, and they'd be out of their minds if they included ordnance again... Right? (I know there's spartan abilities, whatever the fuck that is)

I'll take whatever they show with a grain of salt, and the impressions of professionals and players even less so. Don't know how many times I heard "Feels like Halo :D" when fans got their hands on Halo 4. Turned out to be utter bullshit.

Beta will be a good indicator of what's to come. Hopefully. A year is a long time to make a good thing a lot worse.

You would want to believe that but well we thought that with Reach to Halo 4 also and we see what that got us.

Welfare

This is the way the world ends.

343 must have complete confidence in this games Online if they are doing this a year before launch.

Does it say anywhere if Tickets will be available for the Avalon Theatre? I live in LA and I would love to go to this in person.

I understand it is Halo after all, but can we stop the trend of exhibiting future games preemptively with professional eSports players?

I'm all for these leagues popping up once the game is out, but it's just a shoehorned marketing tactic pre-release. Let alone, game reveal.

Yeah no, I'd take pros playing over Hornet flipping simulator 2.0

IHaveIce

Banned
I understand it is Halo after all, but can we stop the trend of exhibiting future games preemptively with professional eSports players?

I'm all for these leagues popping up once the game is out, but it's just a shoehorned marketing tactic pre-release. Let alone, game reveal.

No.

It shows the competive community is supported from the get go this is good for all the players. Also seeing Snipedown how he shows off the new sniper will be better than watching press guys like IGN dudes.

Also the 50k tourney, daaaamn. I'll be watching all week

You know you can't really judge it fairly based off past history. Remember the first showings of Halo 4 were stripped down real gameplay without all the crap aka armor abilities added. It was very misleading that for the longest time that's what we saw. So yea I'm not falling for it this time. I'm waiting to see what the real multiplayer will play like at release or at least close to it when the entire thing is shown with all of the "features" in play..
You are absolutely correct, good point.

I was able to tell I didn't like the art style though.

Leyasu

Banned
Internet forums never cease to amaze me.... People trying to turn this into a negative lol

Anyway, I agree with some of the others in here. A showing this early means they are confident.. Can't fucking wait to get some halo back in my life.

giadartis

Banned
You would want to believe that but well we thought that with Reach to Halo 4 also and we see what that got us.

Thats odd to me, because Reach felt like the least like halo game to me. The weapons and mp gameplay felt like a Halo+COD mash. To me Halo 4 came back to its roots.

As for those drops, well the multiplayer has to evolve a little bit with time because people would feel like nothing has changed except weapons, maps and graphics. Then people would become more bored with the ip in time. And they also can't please everyone because everyone seems to be a ridiculous critic these days...

Like the Halo MCC thread about the 20gig day one download and about MS being cheap for not including a second disc. What a bunch of whiners. Useless input on the thread like seriously.. 4 games plus all the mp maps plus multiplayer beta for halo 5 and nightfall?!?! Talk about value! All I can say is MS take my money lol.

giadartis

Banned
Internet forums never cease to amaze me.... People trying to turn this into a negative lol

Anyway, I agree with some of the others in here. A showing this early means they are confident.. Can't fucking wait to get some halo back in my life.

Here here.. And in your response to the other persons comment.. Some people just need to complain to make themselves feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Leyasu

Banned
Here here.. And in your response to the other persons comment.. Some people just need to complain to make themselves feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Lol

Anyway on topic... I just had a thought, we're going to see midship!! Oh yeah

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

People are merely expressing skepticism and caution based on similar events in the past. I don't know if you were around during the Halo 4 pre-release hype train, but the initial MP reveal was very encouraging, then the next big wave of info (the May 2012 Game Informer) was very discouraging. People just don't want to see that happen again.

It's something I empathize with, though I'm hopeful that 343 has learned from their mistakes and has listened to the overwhelming fan feedback. I'm feeling pretty good about Halo 5's potential.

This is a lazy explanation for other peoples' worries and honestly isn't helping the discussion at all.

daman824

The fact that they are ready to show halo 5 and let people play it almost (if not) a full year before release is very promising.

imo both 343 and ms know that halo 4 wasn't quite up to the halo standards and know that if halo 5 doesn't go over too well with the fans then the ip as a whole could take a serious hit. I have faith in 343 though. I thought 4 was better than reach by a landslide. All that needs to change is non random and consistent power weapon placement on the maps, the way vehicle health is handled, and the removal of loadout abilities. I think 60fps and dedicated servers will go a long way too.

You know you can't really judge it fairly based off past history. Remember the first showings of Halo 4 were stripped down real gameplay without all the crap aka armor abilities added. It was very misleading that for the longest time that's what we saw. So yea I'm not falling for it this time. I'm waiting to see what the real multiplayer will play like at release or at least close to it when the entire thing is shown with all of the "features" in play..

Yep. This is worth remembering.

Im interested to see what they show off but it wouldnt surprise me if what we see ends up tucked away in a "Pro" playlist somewhere and we get the same CoD hybrid again for the main MP.

Euron

I can't wait to see Halo 5. For some reason I'm feeling pretty confident that the multiplayer will turn out great this time.

Also, maybe 343 will finally announce a MCC bundle at the event.

ElRenoRaven

People are merely expressing skepticism and caution based on similar events in the past. I don't know if you were around during the Halo 4 pre-release hype train, but the initial MP reveal was very encouraging, then the next big wave of info (the May 2012 Game Informer) was very discouraging. People just don't want to see that happen again.

It's something I empathize with, though I'm hopeful that 343 has learned from their mistakes and has listened to the overwhelming fan feedback. I'm feeling pretty good about Halo 5's potential.

This is a lazy explanation for other peoples' worries and honestly isn't helping the discussion at all.

Exactly. I hope what they show is what it really is at launch. I do. I hope they have listened and are indeed going to be more straightforward and give the fans what they want. It's not bad to be skeptical. It would be bad if we were here going fuck them and refusing to give them any chance and I haven't seen a single one of us say that. We're merely being skeptical.

danwarb

Yah, i hope not to but i have a feeling it will. Things like the double or triple jump, sliding, i feel like that will be in Halo 5.

I wouldn't mind a boost/double jump, something like the UT dodge. There'd be no need for sprint. They could increase movement speed a bit.

Top Bottom