• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 20th Birthday SEGA Mega Drive |_O| Genesis !

camineet

Banned
I wanna be
again, when I first learned about the Genesis, or
again, when I got my Genesis. Damn, I feel old now too!

camineet

Banned
Tain said:
The second best console of the generation, but it was an awfully close one.

And it's still better than the SNES.

What was best console of that generation in your mind then, PCE/TG16 or NEO-GEO ?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
My parents got a small amount of money from my grandfather every year which they used to buy my brother and I a more expensive present, because they didn't have a ton of money at the time. We had to decide between a SNES and a Genesis, and after going to a friend's birthday party and loving Super Mario World, we got the SNES.

A couple months later and the price dropped significantly, and my mother wrote a letter to Wal-Mart where we bought it saying that she wanted her money back. They ended up sending her a check back. Around the same time the Genny dropped down to where that was almost enough to buy it, and they said they'd get it for us. I remember getting Sega Channel and playing a bunch of cool games, but I never really owned a whole lot of the Genesis games. Earthworm Jim was probably my favorite thing I played on it.

I've been buying up a bunch of old games lately so I just bought a Genesis & Sega CD, it's time to go back and get some of that awesome shit I missed. :)

Hive

Banned
Diablohead said:
Love you Megadrive, easily one of my fave consoles of all time, so many good games for it also.

not sure you're going out on a limb there~ And it's not like there were eight or nine different ones to choose from. Come on and just admit it was the best! haha

camineet

Banned
Lambtron said:
My parents got a small amount of money from my grandfather every year which they used to buy my brother and I a more expensive present, because they didn't have a ton of money at the time. We had to decide between a SNES and a Genesis, and after going to a friend's birthday party and loving Super Mario World, we got the SNES.

Cool. It was kind of similar for me, in that, in the late 80s my grandfather sent money for birthdays & christmas. That money was put towards getting Atari 7800 & Sega Master System, then later, after my dad bought the Genesis, more Genesis games. By the time the SNES came out, I was earning my own money from jobs.

Tain

What was best console of that generation in your mind then, PCE/TG16 or NEO-GEO?

Definitely the NeoGeo. It wasn't a huge library, but it was big enough (though it certainly spanned a huge timeframe, for the better), and it's a ton of true arcade games with zero filler.

camineet

Banned
Hive said:
And it's not like there were eight or nine different ones to choose from.

sure there were

X68000 (the best 16-bit, non-console machine for home use ever)
PC-Engine / TurboGrafx-16
MegaDrive / Genesis
SuperGrafx (PC-Engine 2)
Neo-Geo
Super Famicom / SNES
CD-i
FM Towns Marty
Commodore CDTV
Commodore CD32
FM Towns Marty
Turbo Duo
Pioneer LaserActive (with NEC and Sega expansions)

i kid, i kid :)

Teknoman

Rlan said:
Ristar%20(2).gif

<3

While not the same year, Megadrive was released on the 28th of October - my birthday.

No wonder I was such a SEGA nerd.

I want a new Ristar game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3QPip0HQNs
Go Sonic, go sonic, GO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCg_Wc9XXMs

Mar

I loved and still love my Megadrive. So many awesome games. While the SNES had arguably a few better titles (Super Metroid, Mario Kart etc), it didn't have as many great games nor the variety. My library of Megadrive games was absolutely massive.

And I still say the original Megadrive design is one of the coolest video game console designs ever. Just look at that fucking thing. It looks damn sexy.

jeremy1456

Tain said:
The second best console of the generation, but it was an awfully close one.

And it's still better than the SNES.

Nice job trying to de-rail the thread.

Either way, Genesis rocked.

camineet

Banned
Tain said:
Definitely the NeoGeo. It wasn't a huge library, but it was big enough (though it certainly spanned a huge timeframe, for the better), and it's a ton of true arcade games with zero filler.

Genesis is still my favorite system of that gen, but I loved the NEO-GEO because it offered TRUE arcade quality at home, and while it was expensive, it was worth the money for certain games. megabit for megabit, it was a bargin compared to Genesis, SNES and even TG16.
Base price, the system was $399 w/ 1 arcade stick, or $649 w/ two arcade sticks and Magician Lord at launch in late 1990 or early 1991 in the U.S. (early or mid 1990 in Japan). Not bad concidering that was an arcade game in a console. I loved Samurai Showdown 2. Sadly the focus of the game genres got narrower after the mid 90s with all the KoF updates and too many 1on1 fighting games in general.

Neo-Geo would've been my favorite system of that generation if there had been a wider variety of game genres from other companies. If NEO-GEO had the games Genesis had (i.e. Phantasy Star II & IV, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Revenge of Shinobi, ShinobiIII, Herzog Zwei, After Burner II, Sonic 2, NHL 94 & 95, Desert & Jungle Strike, Ristar, Streets of Rage 2, SF2, etc ) done in Neo-Geo quality, it would've been the best system of not only its generation, but of all time, in my mind.

With that said, Genesis had the best games of that generation, by far.

its so rediculous that what was considered state of the art gaming then at $189 at lauch is fucking $399-599 at launch these days. WTF.

Karakand

jman2050 said:
Hard to believe Sonic didn't come out for almost two years after the Genesis released. I can't remember a time when the Genesis *wasn't* associated with Sonic.
*looks at avatar*
*shakes head*

Hive

Banned
NHL '94 and '95 were clearly better than the '93 version (just called NHL Hockey).

But i grew up with that one first, and it has teams that '94 doesn't, like the Hartford Whalers!

Slowest teams in the game are: Penguins, Sharks, and Whalers.

Karakand

Hive said:
NHL '94 and '95 were clearly better than the '93 version (just called NHL Hockey).

But i grew up with that one first, and it has teams that '94 doesn't, like the Hartford Whalers!

Slowest teams in the game are: Penguins, Sharks, and Whalers.
Mario Lemieux Hockey or bust!!!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
MobiusPigeon said:
its so rediculous that what was considered state of the art gaming then at $189 at lauch is fucking $399-599 at launch these days. WTF.
$312 in 2007 dollars, and the dollar has tanked since then.
$132 for Phantasy Star II. :O
$138 for Phantasy Star IV :O
$381 for NES.
$95 for NES launch games.
$677 for Atari 2600 :O :O :O
$993 for 3DO :O :O :O :O
$1,019 for Neo-Geo :O :O :O :O :O

$79 for first-party N64 launch window games.
$92 for third-party N64 launch window games.

... and on and on.

The greatest console of all time.

It was the first time that I ever felt like I was *truly* playing Arcade-quality games in my home.

Happy 20th, old friend.

Kuran

Banned
I love it... I remember that "your world will never be the same" flyer so well. I used to study every screenshot and read all the descriptions over and over, imagining how amazing these games were. Shortly afterwards my uncle bought a MegaDrive so I could experience Afterburner 2 and Altered Beast.. my world was never the same indeed!

I missed out on the Megadrive as a kid - alot of my friends had one, but I had a GameGear and when it came to getting my first console I chose the SNES and games like Zelda, Super Mario, Metroid & Castlevania over the Megadrive. Earlier this year however, I bought and modified a Megadrive 2/MegaCD 2 to output at 50/60hz and play any region game and since then i've fell in love with the Megadrive and it's amazing arcade line-up. There are so many great platformers, shmups and arcade ports, I end up devoting almost as much time to the Megadrive as I do to the 360/PS3.

Anyways, one of my favourite series on the Megadrive is Shinobi, i'd love to see SEGA making a HD re-make of Shinobi III/Shadow Dancer for XBLA/PSN. Chances appear slim :p

Let us pay reverence to this awesome series;

rshinobi.jpg

sdancer.jpg

shinobi3.jpg

We're not worthy!

werenotworthy.jpg

camineet

Banned
Some of my favorite '89-'90 magazine ads

2meonjs.jpg

We bring the arcade experience home... for the most part... er, moreso than anybody else, anyway!

1oan8l.jpg

Not an arcade game, but an arcade experience!

jhrihf.jpg

29e3q1l.jpg

Sega used a screen from the arcade version of Super Monaco GP for, uh, "illustrative purposes"...

dvoeuc.jpg

"Real arcade classics like Space Harrier II and Super Thunder Blade"... which were never in the arcades!

vgom0p.jpg

"300 hours of nonstop gameplay." Uh huh.

mosqito said:
Back in the days (I was a Nintendo Nerd), me and my cousin, played the shit out of the Sega Games. Sonic, ToeJam and Earl, Earthworm Jim, Shinobi where so much cooler than Mario an the rest of the Nintendo games. Nowadays I bought myself a Genesis and i have to say, i love it more than the Snes.

One of the fav. game of that time : Kid Chameleon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q15t0KGCVl8&feature=related

My last purchase:
1z1uv6b.jpg

Getting older and older...

Boo! Sonic & Knuckles cardboard box! I hate cardboard boxes. Love Sonic & Knuckles though.

Mega Drive plus Sonic 1, 2 , 3 and Knuckes and a couple of other games sold for £50 when I bought my Saturn. Ouch.

lordmrw

Ah yes, I was one of the lucky few that got to play the genesis when it came out in 89. My buddy down the street had an older brother who sold drugs, and he bought the system and just about every game that came out for the first few months of the system's life. When you're 9 years old, this shit is mindblowing, man. So many awesome memories. Coop Altered Beast, Forgotten Worlds, Golden Axe, damn.

BitchTits

Lots of great childhood memories of the MD, and still my favorite console, and my first import JP one too.

I really associate the Mega Drive with it's early life, say pre-Sonic 2, as around that time I migrated to Super Famicom, so I missed out first time 'round on a lot of the later games that people generally regard as the best the console had to offer from it's later life, but I associate the MD with loads of great import shooters and platformers and arcade conversions from early on like Ghouls & Ghosts, Rainbow Islands, Marvel Land, Revenge Of Shinobi, Shadow Dancer, Wardner, Gain Ground, ESWAT, the Tecnosoft shooters, so many great, but often forgotten games.

There were loads of little independent stores selling import games at this time, it was really a special time for importing, and it felt great taking that japanese copy of Sonic, Bare Knuckle (Streets Of Rage) or Golden Axe into school and flashing them off to the kids who had to wait for the western release. :lol

Those above ad spreads worked SO WELL for me as a kid.

I absolutely HAD TO HAVE those games! I remember poring over each of those screenshots just dreaming of how good those games were.

The Genesis brought out my inner fanboy for sure, as I loved Sega's arcade games. I bought the Genesis in 1989 or 1990 just because I had to have a home version of my favorite arcade game, altered beast, and I saw in these ads how close it was to the arcade.

Ah memories...

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I definitely preferred the SNES.

BUT! I always remember having a guilty compulsion to play many of my sister's Mega Drive games when she was out, particularly the Sonic games and Strider. It's a great system and deserves its accolade. Happy birthday Mega Drive!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
lordmrw said:
Ah yes, I was one of the lucky few that got to play the genesis when it came out in 89. My buddy down the street had an older brother who sold drugs, and he bought the system and just about every game that came out for the first few months of the system's life. When you're 9 years old, this shit is mindblowing, man. So many awesome memories. Coop Altered Beast, Forgotten Worlds, Golden Axe, damn.
Yeah, I knew six people who got one at launch, but I didn't get my own until they were clearing out the last Altered Beast bundles with a Sonic mail-in offer. At least I got one with a headphone jack.

camineet

Banned
Vorador said:
SEGA did an incredible job with the Genesis/Mega Drive. One of the best systems ever.

I agree. SEGA got almost everything RIGHT with Genesis/Mega Drive. It went mainstream, was super-popular, had hundreds & hundreds of 3rd party games and was as close as SEGA would ever get to NES-like success.

eve241

I'm reminded of playing that "Streets of Rage | Golden Axe | Shinobi" pack, over and over and over and over again, and still not getting bored about it. Whenever someone asks me while I still like Sega I remind them of Genesis, Saturn and DC. Doesn't matter if they screwed up their marketing along the way and to this day, they still have great people working in that company and they got most of my favourites IPs. If I were a fanboy I'd be a Sega fanboy.

nny

The first console I helped buying with some of my own money. The first time on Green Hill Zone, playing FIFA 95 with the fouls turned off and abusing the B+C combination, memorizing all those tracks in Micromachines, turning the result around in the final and winning the World Cup in Italia 90, running away from a monster and then getting some ammo and kill him in Zombies ate my Neighbors, beating Streets of Rage with a friend, reaching a new stage in Super Hang-On, knocking down an enemy to ride one of those beasts in Golden Axe, winning a rally in Power Drive. So many memories, so much fun. Happy birthday.

edit: and fallout! <3

Karakand

camineet said:
I agree. SEGA got almost everything RIGHT with Genesis/Mega Drive. It went mainstream, was super-popular, had hundreds & hundreds of 3rd party games and was as close as SEGA would ever get to NES-like success.
I take it you mean the base hardware, right? There were plenty of fuck ups with the Mega Drive, they just happened down the line.

It's a testament to how awesome Sega is that they ran their company like idiots for as long as they did before bowing out. Just imagine if they'd actually played to win... ONE CONSOLE FUTURES WITH SEGA.

Vorador

Banned
camineet said:

I still think it was the best generation ever. Both SNES and Genesis/Mega Drive had incredible first and third party titles.

Later things took a turn for the worse thanks to some "awesome" management. Wonder what the fuck Joe Miller was thinking when SEGA America backed up the 32X.

Aru

Bootaaay said:
Anyways, one of my favourite series on the Megadrive is Shinobi, i'd love to see SEGA making a HD re-make of Shinobi III/Shadow Dancer for XBLA/PSN. Chances appear slim :p

Do not forget the awesome Game Gear Shinobi games.
I prefer them to the Genesis versions.

Each Shinobi had his own weapon and power.
SO AWESOME :D

Shinobi 1
625.jpg

Shinobi 2
shinobi2exclurg6.png

Definitely one of my favorite consoles ever. Strider and Castle of Illusion were amazing, then Sonic came along with the EA hockey series and World Series Baseball. Plus Road Rash and Ghouls & Ghosts.

Man, what a system.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
possibly my most favorite system ever owned. Plain and simple. I was never wowed by 8-bit systems. They always just seemed like logical progressions. Of course it didn't help that most of my arcades were FILLED with Vs. games so it just looked like the arcade came home (when it was really the other way around). But yeah... the Genesis was really the first system I got that actually blew me away. Even more so, we actually had an old stereo with phono inputs that we used for our VCR, so we actually hooked the genesis up through composite cables and a headphone->RCA converter and had stereo sound from day one.

what an amazing system. and as proof, I still own the actual one I bought back in 10/89 along with my original purchases of Sonic 3, Sonic 2, Altered Beast, and Golden Axe.

Gagaman

2h3q7m9.jpg

Love

jq6elc.jpg

Love

rs4e1h.jpg

Love my Mega Drive. There's still a lot of games I want for it, too. (pictures are actually a little out of date, I have a few more than this). I was lucky enough to find myself a Multi-Mega, which is a Mega Drive and CD built into one tiny little console half the size of a Mega Drive 1. Combine that with a Master System converter (and eventually a 32X) and it's the ultimate bundle of retro joy for me.

The NES was the first console I ever owned, but I got rid of it to pay towards one of these (mainly because my NES barely ever worked) and it was the first time games truly wowed me outside of arcades.

Tr4nce

Oh man, seeing that 'Moonwalker' game case brings bnack so many happy memories. It reminds me of how happy my childhood was. Oh well, getting older has it's advantages too I guess. This thread is great. I always had Nintendo consoles, but my cousin and a kid in the neighbourhood had both a Sega Mega Drive. Good times. Congratulations. :)

Grug

I think it would be oddly appropriate to turn this thread into a SNES vs Genesis/Megadrive childish playground war. That whole discourse defined that 16 bit generation to me.

SNES (Real 16 bit) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Genesis (fake 16 bit) BTW.

Gagaman

Grug said:
I think it would be oddly appropriate to turn this thread into a SNES vs Genesis/Megadrive childish playground war. That whole discourse defined that 16 bit generation to me.

No, get out. Everything doesn't always have to be about fucking Nintendo. =)

The only thing I'll ever agree on is that Genesis is a dumb name. Mega Drive FTW.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Grug said:
umm.. the 68K was sure as hell real 16-bit. Just ask the Amiga, Atari ST, or even the Sega System-16 arcade boards. The only 8-bit processor on the system was the Z80 that assisted with audio processing, and even though the SNES had a 16-bit audio co-processor it was still actual 8-bit sampled audio and FM synthesis.

Top Bottom