• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hard Drive question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kwokuen

Unconfirmed Member
I recently installed a 120GB (7200rpm Western Digital HD with 8 MB cache) as a slave drive, and I've noticed a couple weird things... What's with the slow write/seek time on large files? When copying my music (Approximately 50 to 100 mb per artist) from master to slave, the process takes approximately 2-5 minutes. Also, when skipping ahead in my Seinfeld TV rips, it results in a slow pause before playback begins. This buffer wasn't present when the episode was on the master drive (60 GB 7200rpm WD 8 mb). Is this normal, or just a fluke that I'm experiencing?

SyNapSe

Well, if you HD is a good drive (as it seems you say it is).. then I would question your controller card... Not a lot of people install secondary HD's.. maybe they cheaped out :)

K

Kwokuen

Unconfirmed Member
No controller card here. The Slave drive is linked directly to the master drive (Which is directly connected to the motherboard) via ribbon cable.

Check to see if it's running in the proper transfer mode in Device Manager as well as in the BIOS. It's possible it's set for a slower mode like PIO instead of UDMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom