• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harrison Ford On Next Indiana Jones Actor: "Nobody; When I'm Gone, He's Gone"

Bullet Club

Harrison Ford On Next Indiana Jones Actor: "Nobody; When I'm Gone, He's Gone"

"When I'm gone, he's gone. It's easy."

Legendary actor Harrison Ford is set to play Indiana Jones yet again in fifth Indiana Jones movie scheduled for July 2021. But who will take over once Ford is ready to step away from the role?

No one, if Ford has his way. In an appearance on The Today Show, Ford was asked directly who he would like to see take over when he's done playing the archaeologist-adventurter.

He gave a wonderful response: "Nobody is going to be Indiana Jones, don't you get it? I'm Indiana Jones," Ford told host Craig Melvin with a laugh. "When I'm gone, he's gone. It's easy."

Actor Chris Pratt is reportedly one of the names in the mix to take over as Indiana Jones with a reboot of the franchise in the future. It appears Chris Pine might be in the running as well (or Ford mixed up his Chrises). He said in the interview, "This is a hell of a way to tell Chris Pine this. I'm sorry, man."

Actor Shia LaBeouf starred alongside Harrison Ford in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and some thought LaBeouf was being groomed to take over as the main character. Ford shot down that suggestion, telling Time, "Shia can get his own hat. I earned that hat."

Indiana Jones 5, or whatever it's called, is being directed by Steven Spielberg, who helmed all the previous films, with Ford reprising his role as the iconic archaeologist. Jonathan Kasdan, the son of Raiders of the Lost Ark writer Lawrence Kasdan, wrote the newest draft of the story. He replaced the previously announced writer, Jurassic Park's David Koepp.

Spielberg has said that Indiana Jones 5 will probably be Ford's final Indiana Jones film, though he expects the franchise to continue after that. Spielberg also said it is time for Indiana Jones the character to take "a different form," and this could be with a woman in the lead role. "We'd have to change the name from Jones to Joan. And there would be nothing wrong with that," Spielberg said.

The Indiana Jones series premiered with 1981's Raiders of the Lost Ark, which was followed up by Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984), Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989), and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008). Together, the movies have made more than $2 billion at the box office.

Source: Gamespot

AnotherOne

source.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

NYR

Just a reminder that Harrison Ford is SEVENTY FUCKING SIX years old. Who the fuck wants to see this shit?

Seriously, here’s the first google response for 76 year old for context how fucking old this is:
michaelstolz.jpg

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just a reminder that Harrison Ford is SEVENTY FUCKING SIX years old. Who the fuck wants to see this shit?
Depending on how they make the movie… me.
They need to cut the action sequences and focus on story and dialogue. Stop putting Ford in stunts he can't possibly do in his age any more.

Raynes

Harrison Ford looks so young, vibrant and hot. 77 year old but looks 50. What is his secret? And if you say money, please tell me which celebrities his age look as good as he does?

nikolino840

Spielberg also said it is time for Indiana Jones the character to take "a different form," and this could be with a woman in the lead role. "We'd have to change the name from Jones to Joan. And there would be nothing wrong with that," Spielberg said.

achiKD0.gif
If Is not a parody (like Ghost"garbage"busters) why not? Could be everyone why not a girl?
In Real Life there are fem. history teachers and archeologists....

Thurible

They are making Indy 5? With Ford as the lead? No offense, but this sounds like a really bad idea to me. Ford's too old for the role, and crystal skull is easily my least favorite Indy film. I honestly would prefer for them just leaving the franchise alone or at least rebooting it with a different actor.

I have mixed thoughts.

On one hand with the failure of the Han Solo movie yeah, I can see why he wouldn't want the same to happen to Indy.

But here's the thing, it already happened, the cat's out of the bag on a younger actor playing Indy, not only do you have River Phoenix in Last Crusade, but you also had Sean Patrick Flanery in the weirdly forgotten "Young Indy" TV series.

And I thought Sean Patrick Flanery did a pretty good job, so there you go, we already had an actor playing a younger version of the character and it worked out pretty ok, so unlike Han Solo there have been no less than four different actors playing the character of Indiana Jones, so why does Ford think the character should die with him?

So I'm going to have to disagree, the solution seems obvious to me, render the Young Indy TV series as non-canon like what they did with Star Wars' EU and make a "Young Indy" series of films, just because it didn't work out for Han Solo doesn't mean it couldn't work for Indy.

Or just start a brand new continuity, another factor is that Lucas originally pitched Indy to Spielberg as his equivalent to James Bond, kind of implying he saw it as a character that could be played by multiple actors, like Bond.

I always thought the Han Solo movie was a bad idea, but I still see potential in the Indy character beyond just Ford.

cryptoadam

Banned
Jokes on you Harrison, the tech is there so they can CGI you into whatever movie they want.

They will just Rogue One you into as many indy's as they want.

You one saving grace is that woke Hollywood will want to cast a black trans gender asian gay lesbian women non binary asexual muslim individual as the next Indy.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah he was too old in Crystal Skull and that was over a decade ago.
No kidding. The guy seemed half dead and could barely move in that movie, just imagine what he's like now.

He should consider himself lucky he was even in the recent Star Wars movie a few years back. He was terrible. So was Carrie Fisher. So old, with acting like they mailed it in, they shouldn't have even been in the movie. But the nostalgia factor and story line needed it, so they forced in two senior citizens to reprise their roles.

Stuart360

Not saying Ford isnt too old to play Inidiana Jones, but here's 71yo Sly training for Rambo V -

Yes Sly is a beast, but 70 something isnt quite as old as it once was, what with humans living longer.
I can accept Ford playing Jones 1 more time, as long as they dont cut out all the action, becuase if they do, whats the point of even doing a new one?.

I can accept Ford playing Jones 1 more time, as long as they dont cut out all the action, becuase if they do, whats the point of even doing a new one?.

Because Indiana Jones is an interesting character and a character study of him might be interesting? Wouldn't you want to learn what his ultimate fate is?

Now certainly I hope there's a little action and adventure, but I'm not expecting anything too intensive given Ford's age.

Crystal Skull was a misfire and I just really don't want the series to end on that note, I want the character to have a worthy send off.

MacReady13

If Is not a parody (like Ghost"garbage"busters) why not? Could be everyone why not a girl?
In Real Life there are fem. history teachers and archeologists....

Why can't we get Short Round to be the next "Indy"? He was basically a kid version of Indy in ToD...

If he thinks that it will never be rebooted, or that once he's dead the series will become untouchable, then he's delusional. Unless it's somehow in writing -- doubtful because Cameron said it'd continue -- he has no real control. When he's dead he certainly won't.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I really enjoyed Crystal Skull so I'm willing to watch another one.

it was alright. Raiders is not just a fun film, it is kind of a masterpiece, it is a very well crafted film, with a brilliant script, things constantly being set up and paid off, with romantic desert inspired visuals borrowing from Lawrence of Arabia and featuring a legendary climactic holy apocalypse borrowing special effects from DeMille's The Ten Commandments. the sequels were good, but it was the 80s, everyone was at the peak of their powers.

they can keep making movies, and they will be entertaining, just not very good, cos filmmaking in general is not very good. standards have been lowered, they don't even shoot on actual film anymore. Crystal Skull was certainly entertaining, and worked as a pulp serial movie, with fun comic book like scenes like the atomic bomb, the motorcycle chase, and the Daniken-referencing aliens ending which pulled from the wonderful PC game The Fate of Atlantis. but the humor was bad, the action star was creaky, the visuals & setpieces nowhere near as inspired as they once were.

aliens i am not so sure makes sense in an Indiana Jones universe. he is an archaeologist, dealing with ancient artifacts & religions. the supernatural powers he is seeking in each of his OT films has to do with either Old Testament (Ark of the Covenant), pseudo Hindu polytheism (Sankara Stones), or the New Testament (Holy Grail). these are Earthbound, human civilizations, the religious symbols are in the movies as macguffins because they hold so much symbolic power. with crystal alien heads, it's like, eh, okay, i guess. while i do like that they alluded to IRL Soviet occult research feel like the skulls themselves border enough on "pseudo science" in the mainstream archaeology community that it sort of discredits Indy or makes him seem less of a real dude.

Last edited:

Petrae

Watching an already-decrepit Harrison Ford weakly try to crack a whip in Crystal Skull was simultaneously embarrassing and unintentionally comedic, and that was years ago. The mind might be willing, but that body just isn’t able to do action anymore.

And Crystal Skull on the whole was such a bad film that I genuinely can’t see myself paying money to watch another one.

I hope they visit a part of the world that the previous movies haven't really touched upon. Like central africa, Japan, Mongolia or Polynesia/Australia.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Nothing lost.

We will have Uncharted movies with Nathan Fillion...

WTF HOW DID I NOTICE JUST NOW THAT BOTH ARE CALLED NATHAN LOL

Cue evil laugh

No, seriously. I believe in a few years CGI necromancy will bring many actors back from the dead. Peter Cushing was only the beginning.

I have a feeling digital recreations of actors will probably become more and more common as the technology advances.

Honestly, it's spooky, we're literally talking digital ghosts, imagine if in addition you designed an AI based on someone's personality.

I have a feeling digital recreations of actors will probably become more and more common as the technology advances.

Honestly, it's spooky, we're literally talking digital ghosts, imagine if in addition you designed an AI based on someone's personality.

This is the spark that will ignite the machine revolution that ends us all.

Last edited:

E-Cat

Harrison Ford looks so young, vibrant and hot. 77 year old but looks 50. What is his secret? And if you say money, please tell me which celebrities his age look as good as he does?
Not his age, but William Shatner at 88 sure does look good:

Top Bottom