• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harvey Weinstein 'to settle with accusers for $44m'

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Mods: Not sure if this counts as "politics". Feel free to move.

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48393721

Disgraced film producer Harvey Weinstein and his former studio's board members have reached a tentative deal with women who accuse him of sexual misconduct, US media report.

Lawyers said the settlement to resolve civil lawsuits and compensate alleged victims was worth about $44m (£34.7m). Mr Weinstein denies sexually harassing or abusing over 75 women. He will stand trial in New York in June on criminal charges brought by two women, including rape.

Adam Harris, a lawyer for the studio co-founder Bob Weinstein told a judge that "an economic agreement in principle" had been reached, the Associated Press news agency reports. He added: "I personally am very optimistic."

Mr Weinstein's team later told the Wall Street Journal that the size of the settlement would be approximately $44m.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Thats it? Dude should be paying ALOT more than that as well as spending a decent amount of time in jail.

Tesseract

Banned
Third line of the article linked in the OP:

"He will stand trial in New York in June on criminal charges brought by two women, including rape. "

ah so the verdict is still out, you should have put allegedly in your post

paz de la huerta has a seedy history, we'll see where the rape charge goes

i think it'll probably get tossed out

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Because what he did was fucking disgusting and heinous?

he's settled whatever he did, the full extent we'll never know, and the proceeding cases are tentative and dubious

while he appears to be disgusting and heinous, i'm not sure he did anything wrong

presumption of innocence, weeeeeeeeeeeeeee

and re: the exchange of sex for favors, the actresses are equally culpable

Last edited:

Mohonky

Because what he did was fucking disgusting and heinous? Or are you one of the people who somehow don't see anything wrong with what he did?

Well that's up to the victims. The women have said they were aggrieved by his actions, but apparently not so much so that a cheque couldn't fix it.

Same with when it happen; while they were getting the roles they were fine with it, now they are getting some more money out of it so they are equally fine with it. These woman have done nothing but contributed to the problem, they did when they first never pressed charges when it happen, knowing that other young women would be abused, but they got what they wanted out of it at the expense of other women being abused......and are doing so again, all the while Weinstein is a free man.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Well that's up to the victims. The women have said they were aggrieved by his actions, but apparently not so much so that a cheque couldn't fix it.

Same with when it happen; while they were getting the roles they were fine with it, now they are getting some more money out of it so they are equally fine with it. These woman have done nothing but contributed to the problem, they did when they first never pressed charges when it happen, knowing that other young women would be abused, but they got what they wanted out of it at the expense of other women being abused......and are doing so again, all the while Weinstein is a free man.

I can't believe people are still trying to take blame off of Weinstein and put it on his victims. Even after specifics regarding some of the shit that he pulled was made public by some of the victims. Yet somehow its still their fault that Weinstein abused his power to extort sexual favors from them.

The only good thing that is gonna come out of this is hopefully Weinstein landing in jail on the rape charges, but even if he doesn't at least his name will still be poison. He will never even come close to being able to work in the industry ever again in a way that matters. He won't be able to do what he did to those women ever again.

Tesseract

Banned

you just don't understand what it means to be abused, how could you say such a thing.

these women are saints, angels, they were completely taken advantage of.

I can't believe people are still trying to take blame off of Weinstein and put it on his victims. Even after specifics regarding some of the shit that he pulled was made public by some of the victims. Yet somehow its still their fault that Weinstein abused his power to extort sexual favors from them.

The only good thing that is gonna come out of this is hopefully Weinstein landing in jail on the rape charges, but even if he doesn't at least his name will still be poison. He will never even come close to being able to work in the industry ever again in a way that matters. He won't be able to do what he did to those women ever again.

$believe_all_womens

source.gif

Last edited:
Avoid unprovoked personal attacks against other users.
he's settled whatever he did, the full extent we'll never know, and the proceeding cases are tentative and dubious

while he appears to be disgusting and heinous, i'm not sure he did anything wrong

presumption of innocence, weeeeeeeeeeeeeee

i bet you treat women wonderfully

Nobody is saying this.

Weinstein is absolutely a sleaze, and I agree that he should be in jail for his crime

But clearly the accusers do not. They *choose* to settle for money. Nobody forced them to. If these ladies wanted to take this further, they could have. They didn't.

You cannot have a sentence without a prosecution. That's how the court system works.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
stop dodging the question....do you think Cosby did something wrong?

i already said cosby was found guilty, meaning yes he did something wrong

my opinion means very little, as does the court of public opinion

keep trying to get me though, i'm having an absolute riot over morning coffee

Nobody_Important

cosby? he was found guilty in court.

re: harvey, most settlements typically include language saying that the defendant does not admit any liability or wrongdoing

there are no victims currently, as harvey has settled with his accusers
I'm referring to fact that you don't consider his victims actual victims and are trying to say they are somehow equally to blame for his sexual extortion of them. Its fucking disgusting.

Last edited:
i already said cosby was found guilty, meaning yes he did something wrong

my opinion means very little, as does the court of public opinion

keep trying to get me though, i'm having an absolute riot over morning coffee

so humor me then what is your opinion on Cosby

Tesseract

Banned
I'm referring to fact that you don't consider his victims actual victims and are trying to say they are equally to blame for his sexual extortion of them. Its fucking disgusting.

this is such a derpy post, i don't consider his victims to be actual victims, what are you even saying here

he has settled with his supposed victims, nullifying their alleged victimization

Nobody_Important

he has settled with his supposed victims, nullifying their alleged victimization

That logic you are trying to use there is so unbelievably stupid that I honestly can't believe you are even trying to use it.

If you physically assault me on the street then that makes me a victim of assault. If I decide to drop the charges and settle out of court with you that doesn't mean that I am no longer a victim. That doesn't make the assault magically disappear as if it never happened. You still attacked me. I am still the victim of your assault.

He still abused his power. He still used that abuse of power to extort sexual favors from his victims. They don't stop being victims just because he decided to pay them off.

Last edited:

Mohonky

Kind of my entire point?

If any of those women had made a big deal about this when it happen to them, it wouldn't have gotten to the stage it did.

But those women used sexuality to their benefit, then claimed victim, and now they are doing the exact same thing again!

I'm not taking away the fact Weinstein is a sleaze, I'm just stating what happen.

I don't need to hear anyones sob stories when they also could have protected others but chose not too, not then and again not now.

Tesseract

Banned
That logic you are trying to use there is so unbelievably stupid that I honestly can't believe you are even trying to use it.

If you physically assault me on the street then that makes me a victim of assault. If I decide to drop the charges and settle out of court with you that doesn't mean that I am no longer a victim. That doesn't make the assault magically disappear as if it never happened. You still attacked me. I am still the victim of your assault.

you are tripping over yourself to create a narrative of victimization here, we're in victim complex clown world now

if you drop the charges and settle, you are no longer a legally recognized victim, and i'm cleared of those charges

there are of course few exceptions to this, which you're free to exploit

Last edited:

He still abused his power. He still used that abuse of power to extort sexual favors from his victims. They don't stop being victims just because he decided to pay them off.
In your example you use the word "IF" multiple times.
In your last sentence you stopped using it.
Try to be consistent.

Retrofitting your argument to fit your desired conclusion has backfired on you spectacularly in the past.

Shall I tell you the definition of insanity?

They don't stop being victims just because he decided to pay them off.
There you go, removing agency.
Again.

Last edited:

womfalcs3

Banned
settlement is faster, less expensive, less risky, has no attachments of guilt or liability

Being tried costs more than 44 million??? And his reputation is he's a rapist. A settlement doesn't exonerate him. If he were innocent, a trial would.

Tesseract

Banned
Being tried costs more than 44 million??? And his reputation is he's a rapist. A settlement doesn't exonerate him. If he were innocent, a trial would.

time is money, which prison takes away from you

cost ≠ money

his reputation is that he's a scummy pig man who exchanged sex for movie gigs

he's been thanked more than god at the academy

rape charges are up in the air, and yes a settlement does free you from guilt or liability

nickcage.jpeg

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

if you drop the charges and settle, you are no longer a legally recognized victim, and i'm cleared of those charges

What delusional fantasy world do you live in where victims are no longer victims if you pay them enough? If you punch me in the face. Then I am a victim of assault. If you give me $50 to not call the cops and I accept that doesn't mean you never punched me. That's not how it fucking works. I am still a victim of your assault. You giving me money doesn't make the incident disappear.

Just because he paid off his victims doesn't mean they are longer victims. That's not how it works. I can't believe I have to explain that to what I assume is a functional adult.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
What delusional fantasy world do you live in where victims are no longer victims if you pay them enough? If you punch me in the face. Then I am a victim of assault. If you give me $50 to not call the cops that doesn't mean you never punched me. That's not how it fucking works.

Just because he paid off his victims doesn't mean they are longer victims. That's not how it works. I can't believe I have to explain that.

you do need to explain it, because your grasp of settlements is weak and malformed, like euler's eye

victim mentality does not a victim make in the eyes of judge dredd's law

victims are still victims if they are victims ~ nobody_important, 2019

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

victims are still victims if they are victims ~ nobody_important, 2019

If you pay victims money then they are no longer victims and its as nothing ever happened - Tesseract 2019

Last edited:
Top Bottom