• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has a game finally surpassed Max Payne 3 as the best Third Person Shooter?

KàIRóS

Genuine question, I'm not an avid player of shooters in general, Max Payne 3 is a 10 year old game now so I'm looking to play something new in that genre.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Highly subjective and hard to compare all third-person shooters against Max Payne 3. Sure I love the game and it plays great but I loved other games much more since then.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I recently played it on xbox one.

I wasn't surprised by today's standard.

Game was fun, but auto aim heavy

Aenima

Returnal has my favorite gameplay in any 3rd person shooter i ever played. I just didnt liked the rogue-like mechanic that is super punishing. Rogue-like games are just not for me.

Max payne bullet time is very satisfying but its a mechanic used in previous games, and even outside Max Payne thers games using bullet time as well.
My Friend Pedro is a indie game that also used bullet time, and its a bit more crazy.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
tommib tommib didn't choose Returnal.

disappointed come on GIF

Edit: Too late. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

.Pennywise

Banned
Yes, plenty of examples already given.

But moreso, a game that takes you away from the gameplay just to make you watch at 20 min long cutscenes doesn't hold a high bar anyway, despite its greatness in shooting gameplay.

Sygma

Nope, will never be topped. Very inspired locations, brilliant encounter designs and the set pieces somehow keep getting better as you go through the game until the iconic climax in the airport. Its for sure a divisive game but in terms of shooter there is strictly nothing else like it. And the multiplayer was something else too

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Max Payne 3 was already surpassed from the day it came out.

I can think of loads of third person shooters I enjoyed more, I've tried max Payne 3 twice now and I just can't bring myself to finish it sadly.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Third person shooter is a pretty broad term and I think many games in other genres or subgenres do it better.

I played MP3 for the first time only a few years ago and didn't think it was that amazing. Kind of boring in many areas really.

Last edited:

Vick

Not by Rockstar, that's for damn sure.

I'm fully aware this would trigger lots of people, but Naughty Dog games are coming to PC so i'd give them a shot.. to me no TPS feels better than Uncharted 4 at 60fps.

Am I crazy if I think Gears is better? Not that the combat mechanics are anything amazing (no bullet time etc.), but it's so solid feeling.
You're not. It's just a very different feeling kind of TPS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom