• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the deal with the Max Payne IP? Will we ever get a Max Payne 4?

SJRB

Gold Member
Let's preface this by saying I fucking love Max Payne. Wow, shocker, most people do. Max Payne was cool and its bullet time redefined the third person shooter genre. Max Payne 2 at the time hit me in the feels in a way I didn't expect videogames could (Mona <3), and Max Payne 3 is just a narrative masterpiece, a deep dive into literal and and psychological madness which I didn't fully appreciate until I was a bit older. And that HEALTH soundtrack, godlike. None of them are perfect, but god damn if their execution isn't marvelous in so many ways.

But Max Payne 3 released 11 years ago. ELEVEN. If I remember correctly Max Payne 3 was in development hell and Rockstar took over development from Remedy at some point. Development costs were probably insane. They even tried to implement a multiplayer mode, as every game needed to have for some reason at the time. It was decent but died pretty fast nonetheless. But my extreme fondness of Max Payne 3 remains.
The unique setting, the gritty atmosphere, Max Payne slowly but surely losing his marbles, the shocking violence, the crazy locations, the insane animations, the way you could only carry whatever weapons you could hold in your hands, the beautiful transitions between cutscenes and gameplay. It's just amazing.

Why haven't we seen a Max Payne 4? Overall tech has improved dramatically, surely the time is right for amazing setpieces, mindblowing animations and crazy slow-motion shootouts with insane particle effects from debris.

Who do I need to email to get this done?

fYhavY_dMSv9NVDaeFp9kA.gif

cutscene.gif

Look at this shit. It's crazy.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I've read those rumors as well and honestly, that's not good enough for me. Remakes are nice to have but I want a sequel. A full blown, big budget sequel.

The remakes will be amazing. I have faith in remedy. I did like 3 also, would love a sequel also.

I've read those rumors as well and honestly, that's not good enough for me. Remakes are nice to have but I want a sequel. A full blown, big budget sequel.
Ya hopefully a 4th game will be announced around the same time. It’s sad that such an amazing IP is just collecting dust.

Max Payne 3 is one of my favorite games of all time. I’d love to see a sequel by Rockstar but I’d be happy if they’d just put out a port where you could skip the cutscenes.

I’ll check out the remakes but a proper 4th game would be ideal.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Do enough people know the name to warrant a sequel? Likely they’ll see how the remakes sell and then make a decision on a #4.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Apparently the remakes of the first 2 games are in the works to be released end of next year. So at least there’s that.

The remakes will be amazing. I have faith in remedy. I did like 3 also, would love a sequel also.

I think the remakes are Remedy testing the waters for interest in the IP.

If the remakes have solid interest, we'll see a Max Payne 4.

violence

I think Max Payne 3 didn’t sell well enough. Believe me, if the remakes do well, we will get a 4.

Also, Max Payne 1 is awesome. I played it for the first time last year. It’s a pain in the butt to get working on modern computers though.

Filben

Max and Mona reunion needs to happen ... it's not settled yet! We have that alternative ending in MP2 where she lives and her tomb stone was missing in MP3 while almost every other character that died in MP2 had one.

Anyways, I'm always down for another Max Payne.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Max Payne has a movie and game on its resume, a remake and proper sequel would fix the franchise.

hinch7

Max Payne 3 is still one of best TPS ever, in my books and the series as whole one of my favorites. The feel and responsiveness of the gunplay in MP3 and physics feel so much fun to play and then there's the amazing soundtrack to go with it.

Hopefully Rockstar greenlights a fourth. Wouldn't mind whoever makes it, Remedy, Rockstar Toronto/North.

Last edited:
I still need to play max payne 3. Sucks its not on ps4/ps5. The first two were amazing. Have them both on steam and 3 (just haven't played). And double dipped on mp1 on ps5 the other day .
Yeah id' buy a mp4... it would get me to play 3. I never played it back in the day as it looked like a short cod clone, and the character didn't look like the max payne I remembered from the first 2 games.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

This is how I feel as well. Aren’t people getting a little tired of remakes?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Max Payne 3 was lightning in a bolt and one of the last big hurrahs for Rockstar before being GTA 5: the company.

Dunno if we need a 4 and I'd only accept it with McCaffery back.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Why the fuck is Remedy remaking the first two games if Rockstar made the third game. Makes zero sense.

I get they made the first two games, but why even have Rockstar make the third game if they're not going to take the reigns from then on forward.

Last edited:

Kabelly

Well don't expect Rockstar. I bet a large marjority of the devs have been working on GTA and anything GTA related for a long time. Red Dead 2 itself took 8 years.

YCoCg

I love 3 but I hope we get a split timeline after the remakes for 1 and 2 come out so they can do the original 4 game plan.

JonSnowball

I think the remakes are Remedy testing the waters for interest in the IP.

If the remakes have solid interest, we'll see a Max Payne 4.
Remedy don't own the IP. I had seen it as a reaction to remaster Take-Two Interactive titles after the GSC GTA Definitive Editions molested their entire fan base in the mouth.

bender

What time is it?
Max Payne 2 is one of my favorite games ever. I like Max Payne 3 but I don't think it is a very good Max Payne game, if that makes any sense. Remedy making remakes of the original is a relief and a little concerning at the same time. Their quality after MP2 took a nose dive. They rebounded somewhat with Control but I'm not sure they'll ever reach the highs of MP2 again.

fdsgsfg.png

Max Payne 3 is a top grade TPS. Completing NYMHC was a memorable adrenaline-pumping ride.

Max' story has been told and wrapped up well. It doesn't need a sequel.

That said, there is a severe lack of slow-mo balls-to-wall action TPSs these days though. I wouldn't mind someone take on a new, modern bullet ballet in the same vein. If anything, what we should really get is a full action John Wick TPS. That's honestly way overdue.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

I'd suggest you just wait until the remakes are released. Maybe buzz for a sequel will start happening afterwards.

xVodevil

Really hope so that remakes will reanimate the series and eventually someone somewhere will realize people want more!

Sometimes it is better for an IP to die with grace than to become a modern video game.
I enjoyed The Dark Knight too.

This might be off topic but holy shit if you’re on console the Xbox is the way to go for Max Payne 3.

I replayed it a few months ago on all difficulties on Xbox and then on PS3. The PS3 version shouldn’t have been released with the dramatic drops in frame rate.

I love the series so I bought also part 3 but waited forever to play it, until actually last week and I kinda regret it already. Maybe after a few levels I will get it, but for now: it does not feel like a Max Payne game. Just a Rockstar interpretation of a Max Payne game, heavily influenced by GTA style narration maybe even leaning a bit towards Kane Lynch, but not what I wanted (basically could have lived without any MP3, the story was easily already finished. Rather would have seen a Mona Sax prequel). Feels almost like Stranglehold could have been labeled MP3 too, so far off it feels.

Hudo

As others have already mentioned, Rockstar/2K are paying Remedy to remake Max Payne 1 & 2. I reckon that if these titles are successful, Remedy might get the chance to make a Max Payne 4.
It's crazy to think what they've got on their plates: Control 2, Alan Wake II and Max Payne 1 & 2 remakes.

Max payne has always been incredible.

However the budget required to make a true successor to max payne 3, with polished animations, mechanics etc. For a linear third person shooter. In this day and age unfortunately I think it's a really tough sell.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm fine with the series not being continued. Rockstar has put a nice enough bow on the character at the end of MP3 and seeing elderly Max being dredged up for even more misery and hardship would just cheapen that ending.

I'm fine with the first two games receiving a modern remake because it will be amazing to see all that stylish action with the level of visual fidelity that's available today, but a sequel? No. Just leave it alone. Max went through enough shit already, and I prefer to think that he's living happily now somewhere in the tropics.

Last edited:

FingerBang

I don't think Rockstar will even try to make another one. They got to the point of making one game per generation of consoles. We will have GTAVI, and that's it.

Remedy might be the only way the franchise moves forward, and the remakes are a good sign. I hope they keep the same writers as 3. What a fantastic game.

We will get but he will be a woman now
Of course not. That's silly. He will have a young female sidekick who's smarter and better at everything, whose journey will be understanding that she's perfect and only needs herself. During the game, she will lecture Max about his white privilege. She will tell him to stop shooting minorities and to think instead of the socio-economical conditions that force them to rob a bank and shoot women and children in the face.

The good ending happens if you don't kill anyone but white, old men. If you do it properly, you can finally abolish capitalism, and everybody will be happy and loves each other.

Last edited:
Top Bottom