• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the deal with the Max Payne IP? Will we ever get a Max Payne 4?

Hudo

What's the best Remedy game?

My favorite is still Max Payne 2. With Control being close second.

JordiENP

I really don't see the need for Max Payne 4. His story ended in 3, even had a happy ending.
17-1622177060-305952412.png

Last edited:
Rockstar holds the rights to the IP, and for the most part, they're really focused on GTA since GTAV printed money on a scale like no other. Rockstar has contracted Remedy to remake the first two Max Payne games in a single package, though these aren't due out until 2025 or so. My assumption would be that any further movement on the Max Payne IP will hinge upon the sales of those remakes, as they'll effectively serve as a "pulse check" to see if the franchise is worth reviving or not.

Roni

Gold Member
3 was pretty good, except for the unskippable cutscenes. The multiplayer was fire too, first time they did bullet time in a real time multiplayer environment.

But the ending of 3 is just great, I wouldn't get Max out of retirement. Might as well reboot the franchise...

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t think R* is interested in making games anymore. They’ve found their ‘Fortnite’ with GTA Online and I’m sure they’ll be happy just milking that for another decade once GTA6 has released until they’ll release GTA7 and repeat.

Kikorin

Max Payne 3 is still by far the best tps ever made, none come close in the AI, physics and gunplay department. The first one is a timeless masterpiece and redefined the TPS genre back then and the second one is an awesome game.

I'm happy remedy is going to remake the first 2 games, but I hope Rockstar decide to develop a 4th game too (or at least give the IP back to Remedy).

Shubh_C63

Let Max Payne rest. Max Payne story has always been amazing and the guy has suffered enough. It just won't make sense story wise and trivializes previous game by being a Fast & Furious franchise.

All MP games were excellent. Can't say the same for most of the franchises. Plz no MP4

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I enjoyed those games a lot (well, I never played 3), but I'd rather see Remedy continue their AW/Control universe. More interesting to me personally.

And I'm not that interested in a MP4 by some other developer either.

Last edited:

MarkyG

"Under the development agreement signed today, Remedy will develop the games as a single title for PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S using its proprietary Northlight game engine."

Interesting, so it's being sold as 1 game. Wonder if they'll just give you the option to select a title to play, like how Master Chief Collection does it, or if they're going to do something more adventurous like make it one massive game.

YCoCg

Let Max Payne rest. Max Payne story has always been amazing and the guy has suffered enough. It just won't make sense story wise and trivializes previous game by being a Fast & Furious franchise.

All MP games were excellent. Can't say the same for most of the franchises. Plz no MP4
This is why they should split the timeline, as great as Max Payne 3 was it was revealed that originally under Remedy that Max Payne was supposed to be a 4 game series as each story took place in a different season, with 1 being set in Winter and 2 during Fall (meaning the name was also a hint). The following two would've took place in Spring and Summer.

Did you play 3? It ended pretty definitively. Would be lame to keep dragging Payne back.
Especially when we got Max as an old beat cop. How much older can they make him for a sequel, it would be beating a dead horse. Just like Uncharted 4....Nate is old now, happy life, happy beach house, call it a day, dont drag this indefinitely.

Top Bottom