• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anybody been financially affected due to the recent events?

MastAndo

I completely forgot to look at my 401k in all the madness. Thanks for the reminder, guys - just checked and threw up in my mouth a little.

Kenpachii

I got some reserves, but i think about a 90% cut in my income this year if this continuous .Shits pretty brutal. But i won't starve or anything so its fine. Also government is probably going to give welfare to most people that are out of a job tomorrow i guess so yea there's that.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

I might be and i am little worried. I work as a software developer and we got email that there might be some pay cuts and firings if the situation doesn't get better. Its nothing official yet but it seems likely.
This virus will cause a lot of changes in the world.
I'm surprised a software dev got hit so quickly. I develop in Healthcare, and we seem to be doing fine.

What were you guys building?

Azzurri

The stock market rebound is going to be insane when everyone unrustles their jimmies. The underlying economy is good. That's a silver lining, I guess.

That's what my brother was telling me. Usually after these evens the markets explode, so there is a silver lining.

And if it happens right before the election, Liberals are going to cry lmao

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The market wants Trump out. This is pretty much what it said today.

Trumps represent potential gains, but instability, and right now the market is in panic mode.

TrainedRage

Banned
School isn't cancelled? (after springbreak)
The kids are staying home. Staff is continuing to show up, including hourly. We are in the planning phase. Its really dumb and is moving super slow. We are providing breakfast, lunch and dinner for the students and it will be delivered by the bus drivers and other staff. We will also be providing some sort of child care for students and staff whos children wouldn't have supervision otherwise. It all sounds absolutely ridiculous and counter intuitive to me.

But the higher ups just cant stand the thought of 3 weeks of people just staying home. Honestly seems like we are expendable and all the admin are just working from home and doing videos and conferencing. I'm actually considering bringing it all up with the union if it hasn't been already.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The kids are staying home. Staff is continuing to show up, including hourly. We are in the planning phase. Its really dumb and is moving super slow. We are providing breakfast, lunch and dinner for the students and it will be delivered by the bus drivers and other staff. We will also be providing some sort of child care for students and staff whos children wouldn't have supervision otherwise. It all sounds absolutely ridiculous and counter intuitive to me.

But the higher ups just cant stand the thought of 3 weeks of people just staying home. Honestly seems like we are expendable and all the admin are just working from home and doing videos and conferencing. I'm actually considering bringing it all up with the union if it hasn't been already.
Who is doing the weed deliveries though?

lock2k

Banned
I might be and i am little worried. I work as a software developer and we got email that there might be some pay cuts and firings if the situation doesn't get better. Its nothing official yet but it seems likely.
This virus will cause a lot of changes in the world.
No. Was broke. Still broke. Had a chance to find other job and now it's frozen (still stuck in my old job which sucks). At least I'm saving on gas.

base

Banned
Nothing change on my side but I'm just a simple worker. The living costs increased in 2020 so much that my salary (around 2500 euros) is being not enough.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
All this mass hoarding is really screwing people over like me who are broke and have no transportation.

I'm actually starting to get really pissed.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Not yet, but I expect shit to hit the fan in about one month or two with lay offs. The sector I'm working in is not the first, or second or even third to be hit in the economical food chain. But it's coming, sooner or later. This will be a disaster for the global economy. Brace yourselves.

BWJinxing

I'm a school bus driver in ny.

They closed school Friday... Then the governor closed school for 2 weeks.

My employer called, the first few days of the two weeks will be paid snow days, but if the schools don't pay, Id have to seek unemployment.

DonJorginho

Banned
Getting my Sick Pay atm from my job whilst self isolating, my job will be unaffected, at the worst I will have decreased pay via GSP for months.

My beats have went down from bagging me £750-1000 a month to around £300 the last few months so that is annoying.

Tevious

Nope, I've been off work for a month now (partially vacation and partially due to coronavirus/quarantine) and still getting paid. Technically, I'm "working from home", but there's nothing to actually work on. I'll likely lose my annual summer vacation, but I would have just stayed home anyway this year.

Darkmakaimura

I hate being like this but I hope it's true Trump is giving out neet bux. Me and the person I care for could REALLY use it right now.

Darkmakaimura

Besides Trump's proposal of sending out cash monies, does anyone know if there's any programs right now to help people even with small amounts?

I just looked at the fridge and we're just about out of food and coffee. I take care if somebody who is bed bound for the most part.

We're good on TP but food and other things are getting scarce here and I'm pretty much flat broke now especially since my in-home work came to a halt and I'm doing it contractually.

So shit is hitting the fan here right now. I'd like to send out for food once in awhile but I can barely afford cup ramen.

Landlords are assholes too. They gave us a warning to pull our weeds by the 23rd and we're out of weed killer. It's a couple of old women that nobody in this place likes.

Trying to see if programs for financial help in the area bur can't find any.

Last edited:
Besides Trump's proposal of sending out cash monies, does anyone know if there's any programs right now to help people even with small amounts?

I just looked at the fridge and we're just about out of food and coffee. I take care if somebody who is bed bound for the most part.

We're good on TP but food and other things are getting scarce here and I'm pretty much flat broke now especially since my in-home work came to a halt and I'm doing it contractually.

So shit is hitting the fan here right now. I'd like to send out for food once in awhile but I can barely afford cup ramen.

Landlords are assholes too. They gave us a warning to pull our weeds by the 23rd and we're out of weed killer. It's a couple of old women that nobody in this place likes.

Trying to see if programs for financial help in the area bur can't find any.

Might want to try local churches perhaps? IDK.....

Papa

Banned
I mentioned early on in the main thread that the economic repercussions of this virus will far out-weigh the death toll.

In my opinion we are headed straight for a global recession that will make 2008 look like a good time. Its possible we will hit a straight up Great Depression 2.0. Unemployment is going to skyrocket over the next few months as businesses close and employers go bankrupt. People, who are no longer earning an income, will try to ride out these lockdowns by maxing out credit cards knowing they will never pay them back. This will cause the banks to collapse and take the rest of our money with it.

You have to remember that we will be fighting this virus for upwards of 18 months before a vaccine will be available. If a hot summer doesn't grant us a reprieve from the virus then society as we know it will likely collapse. Even if summer does help, Cornavirus will come back in the fall and continue killing.

At what point do we just let people die so we don't lose our countries?

We cannot wait this virus out, not if its just going to come back in the fall, or never go away.

This could be the end game folks. The good ol' days might be over.

So let’s cheer on global warming?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
6 months of savings and some extra due to strict savings over the course of 4 years. I did Dave Ramsey’s whole FPU. I just got a new job. I’m on site a lot and a lot of clients are encouraged to have remote support. I can do both, but a lot of places have shut down. We can’t go to schools, hospitals, nursing homes, etc. We do all their IT while they’re away, but there’s been tons of VPN setups/fixes/requests.

It’s been crazy with all the requests for VPN setups. I’m still planning on going on site whenever I’m called. Travel in the company for many reasons has been cut off, except for clients.

I’ll be installing equipment while everyone is at home, so I guess there’s some positive side to it all. Everyone will have new equipment when they go back to work.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Nope. I am fortunate to not be affected. My job is safe.

The tradeoff: I'm still working fulltime while watching everyone on social media enjoy their paid leave & time off. Grass is always greener.

n0razi

Im a business owner... currently paying my hourly employees to sit around and do nothing since they need the $ for rent/etc and I can weather a couple of months of losses. Things need to turn around else I need to start cutting people or go bankrupt.

Darkmakaimura

Im a business owner... currently paying my hourly employees to sit around and do nothing since they need the $ for rent/etc and I can weather a couple of months of losses. Things need to turn around else I need to start cutting people or go bankrupt.
Damn that sucks.

Hoping that Trump's possible plan of giving checks go to both you and your employees to get the help you need.

TaySan

Banned
All bars and restaurants are closing tonight. Depending on how long this goes I'm going to be in a lot of trouble

MetalAlien

Banned
Vegas is going dark. Tons of people sent home. We are going to keep working until the end but they are ordering no overtime. Skip customers if we have to.

lifa-cobex

I'm in isolation with my partner atm. Both have the Flu. Not KungFlu.
But that's a hit in our wallets.

Ironically I work in a Funeral directory.
I don't think they are happy about it as I was meant to be be the driver and a bearer all week.
Initially I thought it was only one week isolation. Gonna have to ring work tomorrow and say it's two :messenger_grimmacing_.
Annoying part is that i'm 0 hours so i'm not entitled to sick pay.

No bloody way I'm risking it though. I'm asthmatic so even a small sickness tends to knock me on my ass.

Ten_Fold

Well I work this wack call center job for G, till I finish up this degree and we are still gonna be open, I would be surprised if we closed.

I was on Pace to get a 10k bonus paid out in April for the last fiscal year. That's not happening now fucking stock market. Fuck.

That shit got yanked today motherfuckers fuck corporations. Fucking cheap as fuck.

Last edited:

Nester99

I was on Pace to get a 10k bonus, that's not happening now fucking stock market. Fuck.

That shit got yanked today motherfuckers fuck corporations. Fucking cheap as fuck.

Sorry to hear, my quarterly bonus comes April 1st. 100% is going to buy all the half priced businesses I can.

Not to be a glutton, but I sense sub 15,000 DJ soon.

Boys and girls, this market crash is the opportunity of a lifetime if your in a good position ...

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
We're working from home during the crisis. On one hand they also put a freeze on overtime... but on the other, I spend 100 dollars a week on gas normal (I commute from irvine ca to Carlsbad ca.). So im going to save at least 200

Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
My wife and I are on the opposite side, to where it is more like a Christmas crunch. She works full time from home and I am about 50/50.

Amazon and some logistics companies are hiring like crazy

I feel bad for the food, travel, and entertainment folks.

Yoda

401K and some other speculative investments I have took a sizeable hit; hoping the market bottoms out soon so I can get some discounted equities.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Doing fine, personally. Not only will I not lose hours or stay home, but they're talking about mandating that we work four days in a row and sleep at work for short periods, since I work in health care. Sounds fucking awful, but it will pay the bills and then some.

I'm just hoping the government doesn't stop me going on vacation in May. It's all paid for already. And I got concert tickets to 3 shows this summer already in July.

My gym just closed for 2 weeks, but I got Ring Fit Adventure so I feel like a genius right now.

I'm about to order a Corona beer shirt off Amazon to wear when I go grocery shopping.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Now that CA is in lockdown and businesses forced to close my wife and I may lose our house and will run out of food.

Darkmakaimura

Now that CA is in lockdown and businesses forced to close my wife and I may lose our house and will run out of food.
Shit. I hope you can get some help asap. You should probably at least qualify for the Trump money. It'll at least get you food. Also renters and whatnot are supposedly showing leniency right now.

I wish I had decent money. I'd throw some your way and others but I'm in the same boat. Except I'm not going to qualify for Trump's bux since I didn't file taxes (i made too little to do so)

I wish you best of luck.

Top Bottom