• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Sony confirmed platforms for next God of War?

Guys, i looked everywhere but cant find any answer to my question?

Is God of War Ragnarok PS5 exclusive? Its not coming to PS4? Has Sony confirmed anything?

Jim Ryan in recent interview to Washington post confirmed that Sony will support PS4 for next 4 years, so if GoW 2 is 2021 that means it will come to PS4 as well?

Discuss.

Not sure the issues here. There are always a few cross gen games every time this comes around

yeah the older gen games normal takes a bit of a hit, when it comes to having a new gen brother out there. Well Normally as long as the Game is built and scaled down, not up (as we have recently seen).

besides. Around 110 million PS4 owners aren’t going away and still need supported for a while, or helped to jump to the new generation 👍😎

Not sure the issues here. There are always a few cross gen games every time this comes around

yeah the older gen games normal takes a bit of a hit, when it comes to having a new gen brother out there. Well Normally as long as the Game is built and scaled down, not up (as we have recently seen).

besides. Around 110 million PS4 owners aren’t going away and still need supported for a while, or helped to jump to the new generation 👍😎
Yeah its not a issue anymore, yeah ps4 not holding generation anymore, yeah yeah its good for gamers.

I get it that narrative has changed.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Does a PS4 version in the works mean the PS5 version will be held back? Serious question. Can't they develop for the PS5 first and then remove features, lower resolution/effects and call it a day for PS4?

mejin

Since the announcement didn't have not even a CG I'd bet it is PS5 only, but 2021? Dunno about that.

Kagey K

Banned
Were you around when the previous consoles were launched or were you too young?
Tell us about it grandpa.

I want to hear about the amazing cross gen support Sony had moving from the PS3 to PS4.:

In my history books they released 1 game for the PS3 after the PS4 launched and then charged for upgrades to PS4 games from PS3.

Tell us where they are wrong.

Last edited:

Saaleh

Banned
Lets be clear, Microsoft been lying consistently since 2010 to this day. Sony has been consistent since ps1. Yesterday, sony lied to us for the first time and lost my trust. Because this lie will effect the quality of their games for years. So I'm not giving them excuses. From now on I will question everything. If they want my trust back they need to stop this cross gen nonsense, it only shows that they are more serious about sales over the quality of next gen experience. Imagine if god of war was made in a way it can be down scaled to ps3. I'm not gonna be excited. In my eyes, sony has become nintindo. If they are greedy I will be careful using my wallet. All my plans to buy their console and games delayed until this nonsense stop, so far it seems like cross gen is only for the first year but I'm not gonna be hopeful. I have pc so i can wait until they repent. Have fun xbox fanboys, you will have a good time these days. Haha

Last edited:

HarryKS

I want to hear about the amazing cross gen support Sony had moving from the PS3 to PS4.:

In my history books they released 1 game for the PS3 after the PS4 launched and then charged for upgrades to PS4 games from PS3.

What first party games are cross-gen besides 2 games that have already been deep in development for years?

tryDEATH

You must have not been on this forum untill yesterday, because that sort of lunatic opinion would have labeled you a heretic.

Probably. And so what if it is? More people with get to play it.
Weren't there talks that the opening boss battle on god of war was going to be like superman or dbz with characters being flung far across the land with each brutal punch? And that such was made impossible by the technical limitation of things like the hdd in ps4?

There are consequences to supporting ps4, in terms of holding back what gameplay design can be done.

LordOfChaos

Jim Ryan in recent interview to Washington post confirmed that Sony will support PS4 for next 4 years, so if GoW 2 is 2021 that means it will come to PS4 as well?

I'm not trying to play semantics here but they did not say every AAA game would be cross gen for the next 4 years, they said the PS4 would see support for the next 4 years.

That doesn't rule out PS5 exclusives. I know it's a bad look sneaking that in there last minute for HFW and Spidey, but it's still a distinction.

ABnormal

Does a PS4 version in the works mean the PS5 version will be held back? Serious question. Can't they develop for the PS5 first and then remove features, lower resolution/effects and call it a day for PS4?

That "scaling down resolution and effects" shit is just how it works in pc world.

On consoles the generational leap usually brought the possibility to expand the interaction and gameplay possibilities further, beyond what has been previously possible on previous consoles.

For example, Guerrilla stated in the past that they were unable to use flying mounts in Horizon because the hdd was not able to catch up with the streaming of the areas (movement would be too fast to catch up with loading the new areas). With ssd would be a breeze, but in Horizon 2 is developed on ps4 as well, flying mounts will be again impossible to do (or they will be pathetically slow). And that is just one example. With fast I/O you can instantaneously transition from set piece to set piece seamlessly, or can bring assets of any weight at any time. All those possibilities and more would be left unused if the game has to run on ps4. It can only have the same structure with next gen graphics (which seems to be great to some people, but it's underwelming from the point of view of next gen - acceptable for the first games, when there's not an installed base, but not after one or two years).

Three

It means the game was designed with the PS4 limitations in mind. For example in the original spiderman PS4 they set the player speed and then decided how much they can stream in a city block. On PS5 this traversal speed could have been higher while maintaining the same city block details or it could be that they maintain player speed and increase detail in the city block (more likely). It depends how much effort they decided to put into the two different versions. The cheapest and least effort option is just bump res and FPS (maybe add some raytracing lighting effects). Something like Ratchet and Clank i guess is PS5 exclusive unless they decided to have long loading screens between warp jumping.

Last edited:

chonga

I'm not trying to play semantics here but they did not say every AAA game would be cross gen for the next 4 years, they said the PS4 would see support for the next 4 years.

That doesn't rule out PS5 exclusives. I know it's a bad look sneaking that in there last minute for HFW and Spidey, but it's still a distinction.
And support could simply mean firmware and security updates.

Unless there's still millions playing on PS4 in addition to millions on PS5 they won't continue to release new titles on PS4. Jim's statement is likely relating to firmware updates, a couple of key titles that require large amounts of sales to be profitable in the first year of PS5 and the expected releases from third parties that always occurs after a new gen launches.

GymWolf

That "scaling down resolution and effects" shit is just how it works in pc world.

On consoles the generational leap usually brought the possibility to expand the interaction and gameplay possibilities further, beyond what has been previously possible on previous consoles.

For example, Guerrilla stated in the past that they were unable to use flying mounts in Horizon because the hdd was not able to catch up with the streaming of the areas (movement would be too fast to catch up with loading the new areas). With ssd would be a breeze, but in Horizon 2 is developed on ps4 as well, flying mounts will be again impossible to do (or they will be pathetically slow). And that is just one example. With fast I/O you can instantaneously transition from set piece to set piece seamlessly, or can bring assets of any weight at any time. All those possibilities and more would be left unused if the game has to run on ps4. It can only have the same structure with next gen graphics (which seems to be great to some people, but it's underwelming from the point of view of next gen - acceptable for the first games, when there's not an installed base, but not after one or two years).
Don't forget all the things they can't do with the new cpu because the game has to run on a jaguar, it's not just the ssd.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

If you're interested in it, plan to get a PS5. Probably the best path to take TBH, and it's a better safe than sorry scenario.

I mean, if it WAS cross-gen, what are you gonna do? Not buy it anymore?

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
But Horizon and Gow 2 both same year and so why you think Gow 2 will not be on PS4 if Horizon 2 already is now?

Same reasons you can't get Demon's Souls on PS4, but you can get Miles Morales, even though they're out on the same day.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
“Here at SONY we believe in generations”.

Kool-aid ya’ll drank.

koolkid-e1589408831126.jpg

Entroyp

“Here at SONY we believe in generations”.

Kool-aid ya’ll drank.

No one drank any kool aid.. on previous generations we alway got exclusive next gen games like GT3, MGS2, Bloodborne, KZ SF, etc etc etc

This is a totally new thing....

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Well you're forgetting the free upgrades for Jouney, Flower, Sound Shapes for a start.

TimFL

Till Sony confirms, its a cross gen game.
You mean till they confirm, it‘s a PS5 game.

Why would a short Spidey spinoff or R&C game be PS5 exclusive, while their heavy guns GoW and co. go cross-gen?

They‘re called system sellers for a reason.

Shrap

It better not be. God of War games are always benchmark titles on Sony consoles and the PS4 will hold it back big time.

It's probably gonna be cross-gen and yeah, it will hold the game back tremendously compared to what it could have been. A damn shame if so, but considering how good the first PS4 game is, it will probably be insanely good regardless..

Not games like horizon spiderman or god of war though. This is a lot more pc like than console like as far as upressing the same assets. New console gens really try to emphasize a leap with the first party exclusives like the ones i mentioned and historically have showcased the new hardware. Ps5 is actually feeling less and less worthed it to me even as strong as their lineup is. Demon souls is the only game that is next gen only that has me even remotely interested in buying one. But one game isn’t enough for now. Screw it ill play these games on ps4. Lets be real sony bullshitted with the i believe in generations talk. Absolutely shocked horizon is cross gen. God of war will be even more ridiculous hipocracy on their part. Also the “pre orders wont go live with last minute notice”. Lol ok sony 👌

sandkiller

Didnt he said same for Horizon zero dawn 2 at reveal that its ps5 only.

Show me official confirmation from Sony not some fooking insider. Come on now

Yeah and he also mentions FFVI console exclusivity when in fact it's only timed exclusivity... :/

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

I think the difference between this gen and previous gens is we always had a few "true exclusives" revealed prior to launch, that showed what the new generation was capable of in the first year.

PlayStation fans don't have that with the PS5 right now.

Matsuchezz

I think the difference here is that Sony World Wide Studios have mastered the PS4 Hardware and they will probably do the same on PS5 producing high quality titles, and they will be able to deliver 2 games on different platforms, whereas 343Industries is a crappy developer in charge of a huge franchise, that has delivered crappy games historically even Xboxfans have agreed on that. Microsoft Studios usually churn out turds of games, and this gen is the prime example. They are really challenged when they have to squeeze several turds between several SKUs, Xos, XoX, Xss, and then PC, the quality gets affected, so they would produce shiitier turds for you all MS fans.

Last edited:
Top Bottom