• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the DS won already?

firex

even if the DS actually wins in sales, sony will just link up 500 PSPs and launch a tactical ballistic missile at nintendo's HQ.

Amir0x

Banned
lockii said:
I've always thought Nintendo was above mudslinging, but I guess the Reggielution changed that. If Sony does those ads Nintendo should reply with RE4/Zelda graphic laden commercials :)

I agree to an extent, although of course RE4/Zelda graphic laden commercials won't help them on the DS front. And since I don't really think they can do anything to come back in the console wars (this generation), I think they should save such mudslinging in the console sector for the Revolution vs. PS3 vs. Xenon.

lockii said:
Btw, even if the DS is a Virtual Boy-esque failure, it will not have any impact on the GBA2's success. Virtual Boy actually proved this.

I think there's no way the DS can be a failure on the Virtual Boy level. How many units did VB sell total?

But, yeah, I agree. It won't have any impact on GBA2's success. Nintendo will have a bigger hurdle to jump if Sony does solidify a place in first place, but they can easily hop back in first place with good technology.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
I think there's no way the DS can be a failure on the Virtual Boy level. How many units did VB sell total?

1.4 million units. If the DS stops selling right now, everywhere, then it's possible.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
1.4 million units. If the DS stops selling right now, everywhere, then it's possible.

Yeah. So there's pretty much no way the DS can be a Virtual Boy level failure.

We made a joke about this in another thread, too.

<SonyFanboys> "Shit, bring out the masses! The DS is no longer a class A Virtual Boy-level failure. Sound the green alarms!"
<SonyServant> "What do we label it now, boss?"
<SonyFanboys> "It's now going to be a Game Gear level failure! Doomed...Doomed...!"

Grubdog

Banned
PSP will sell well initially I think, and it'll do well next year, but after that I see the appeal wearing off fast, the second a new portable with "BETTER GFX" and a cooler design comes along it'll be almost irrelevant, the NDS can play GBA games, so it already has a better game library, and DS games will only get better once developers figure out the system properly. I can easily see the Nintendo DS selling as much as the GBA has.

Drek

DS is selingl well initially, and it'll do well next year, but after that I see the appeal wearing off fast, the second a the PSP with "BETTER GFX" and a cooler design comes along it'll be almost irrelevant, the PSP isn't relying on backwards compatability and gimmicks, and PSP games will only get better once developers figure out the system properly. I can easily see the PSP selling as much as the GBA has.

Fixed that one for ya champ, close call. You gotta start proof reading though, you made some bad mistakes.

Amir0x

Banned
Defensor said:
You heard him. 2 SCREENS!

2 > 1

Dear God it's a revelation. The light... it's blinding.

angels_ph2poster_378x195.jpg

I am convinced! All the world is shifting; the very foundations of the Earth crumble before the insight gained in this moment.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Amir0x said:
Dear God it's a revelation. The light... it's blinding.

angels_ph2poster_378x195.jpg

I am convinced! All the world is shifting; the very foundations of the Earth crumble before the insight gained in this moment.

wtf? :lol

Gregory

Banned
I`ll be surprised if Sony can take more than 25-30% of the DS`s marketshare. I think the PSP will do well in the beginning, but not so much in the long run because it`s not exactly a kid friendly handheld, due to the umd discs and drive.

Pimpbaa

If nintendo drops the price is the DS, then I think it will do very well against the psp when it is released in north america. Lower price plus gba backwards capability will be a more attractive option for a lot of people. Although I think the psp will will really take off a year or so down the road just like the ps1 did (if sony drops the price of the psp).

Drek

Gregory said:
I`ll be surprised if Sony can take more than 25-30% of the DS`s marketshare. I think the PSP will do well in the beginning, but not so much in the long run because it`s not exactly a kid friendly handheld, due to the umd discs and drive.
Why's that? UMD are as durable as Nintendo DS or GBA carts, except they don't even have any exposed pin connectors. What makes the drive so fragile as well? You don't want to be kicking the damn thing down a flight of stairs but I doubt a DS would fair so well with that.

You could easily say that the DS's touch screen won't hold up to the abuse that children put on it with much more valid reasoning than saying UMD can't withstand child level treatment.

fse

Mr_Furious said:
Since Nintendo is facing its first real competition in the portable market in the company's history

Thats funny... remember the Turbo Express? Game Gear? Lynx? etc...
:lol

Bishman

The only hurdle I see for the PSP is price and games.

NDS will probably drop to $129 by the time the PSP is released and is backward compatible with GBA games. We still haven't seen that game, Halo like game for NDS, that is all Nintendo needs to hold their user base. Remember Square-Enix is putting a lot of their games on the NDS. History says who ever has Square-Enix support wins. Not to mention the upcoming announcement of Square-Enix and online.

fse

Nintendo has history on its side. PSP has more hurdles than the poster above mentioned, add load times, small time between needing a charge, price?

Hollywood

Banned
paul777 said:
Correction: DS has Pokemon + the best 3rd party support a Nintendo system has seen in a long while. It's already won.

Well ... There's two screens, thats more important. Things with one:

TV
Computer monitor
Calculator
Game Boy
Movie theater

Things with 2:

DS

GaimeGuy

The winner of the DS vs PSP wars will be determined by who gets THE killer app.

The Gameboy had Tetris

The Game Boy Color had Pokemon

the GBA had pokemon (again)

The DS will have Pokemon and JSS, and it seems to be getting most of the SE support

the PSP may very well get a GTA, and EA seems to prefer the PSP.

Really, whoever gets the killer app wins. ATM, it could be PSP. It could be DS. It could be both.

0wn3d

Well, right now the DS is winning!

I think DS will end up "beating" the PSP by number of units sold. DS just has so much more to offer to the handheld gamers. Pokémon, Megaman Battle Network... hey, even Final Fantasy III. Jump Super Stars WILL be huge in Japan, and even the USA I bet if it comes here. Touch screen is a great feature to tout to parents, as well as backwards capabiliity with the GBA games. Battery life is also important. Just because Nintendo's image is kiddy with the Gamecube doesn't apply with the DS... I looks pretty slick/professional, and has a high-profile FPS coming out for it (Metroid). Nintendo hardware is proven to last long... can't say the same with Sony. UMD movies aren't gonna have the same appeal as those GBA videos... Telling some the PSP can do all great things like play mp3s and videos off of their computer sounds really fun, but them you show them the Mem stick price... x.x Lastly, I just cannot see the older market playing with PSP much.

Also, I bet the DS is more successful than the PSP. Games will be so much more less to make for developers. The media is cheaper. The graphics don't need to be as intense as the PSP graphics. People will expect really big-budget stuff for PSP, while DS can get away with 2D graphics. The PSP has to cost so much to manufacture, with that screen, UMD reader, GPS stuff, etc. DS costs less. And it is sold at a comparable price to PSP.

f_elz said:
Thats funny... remember the Turbo Express? Game Gear? Lynx? etc...
I guess you missed the word real in my post. None, I repeat, NONE of those handhelds had the hype/anticipation/momentum the PSP has leading up to it's release.

Pimpbaa

GaimeGuy said:
the PSP may very well get a GTA

Will it? The ps2 gta's all constantly stream data from the disc, and I thought they weren't allowed to do this on the psp due to the drive eating up too much power.

fse

Mr_Furious said:
I guess you missed the word real in my post. None, I repeat, NONE of those handhelds had the hype/anticipation/momentum the PSP has leading up to it's release.

GaimeGuy

Pimpbaa said:
Will it? The ps2 gta's all constantly stream data from the disc, and I thought they weren't allowed to do this on the psp due to the drive eating up too much power.

hmm, good point

GaimeGuy

Mr_Furious said:
Whatever dude. If you consider those other portables as true competition to Nintendo when none of them could even get off the ground then the jokes on you.

Uh, game gear lasted for about 3-5 years, I believe. It was released when Sega was at its prime, in terms of popularity

Clean is better than dirty and two screens are better than one.

Should I just lock this thread because it is pretty obvious the DS has already won.

mashoutposse, can you concede that the PSP has lost so we can end this madness?

0wn3d

The only real competition Nintendo had before this was the Game Gear. I think original Gameboy VS Sega Game Gear mirrors the upcoming "war" moreso than PS1 VS N64.

fse

Lynx, Neo Geo Pocket/Color, GameGear, Game.com, Turbo Duo Pocket Express, Wonderswan/color/crystal, GamePark 32...

f_elz said:
They where superior in everything and failed. And they had hype.
Please stop with your delusions already. I was an adult when the TurboExpress, Lynx, GG and the NGpocket released and there was no real hype leading up to their release. Every single fucking launch saw plenty of unpurchased units collecting dust on store shelves. Many retailers had to stop accepting pre-orders for the PSP due to such a high demand, which you can't say for the failed portables of yester-year. Oh and they weren't superior in everything, btw.

GaimeGuy

0wn3d said:
The only real competition Nintendo had before this was the Game Gear. I think original Gameboy VS Sega Game Gear mirrors the upcoming "war" moreso than PS1 VS N64.

very true.

GaimeGuy said:
Uh, game gear lasted for about 3-5 years, I believe. It was released when Sega was at its prime, in terms of popularity
Just because Sega decided to continue the GG line doesn't mean it wasn't a failure in the eyes of both industry and consumers. They just refused to accept defeat when it was clearly so.

f_elz said:
Lynx, Neo Geo Pocket/Color, GameGear, Game.com, Turbo Duo Pocket Express, Wonderswan/color/crystal, GamePark 32...
You seem to have a real problem comprehending the word "competition". None of these put up much of a fight for Nintendo and it took little to know effort to squash any competitor's effort due to pure control of the market. Oh and you're forgetting the Ngage in your piddly list.

Even if Nintendo wins they lose.

Simply because Nintendo owned 100% marketshare for portables. Unless the market increase to cover the drop in marketshare Nintendo will have less revenue coming from the portable market.

Say the market is 10 million units per year. Right now Nintendo gets it all.

When the PSP is released even if it only grabs 10% of the market Nintendo loses 1 million unit sales per year.

fse

Mr_Furious said:
You seem to have a real problem comprehending the word "competition". None of these put up much of a fight for Nintendo and it took little to know effort to squash any competitor's effort due to pure control of the market. Oh and you're forgetting the Ngage in your piddly list.

Here have a cookie.

Dez

KeithFranklin said:

Simply because Nintendo owned 100% marketshare for portables. Unless the market increase to cover the drop in marketshare Nintendo will have less revenue coming from the portable market.

When the PSP is released even if it only grabs 10% of the market Nintendo loses 1 million unit sales per year.

I think it's probable that the market will grow, with the introduction of the PSP.

snapty00

Banned
KeithFranklin said:

It is strange. Today is the say that Nintendo lost its total and utter grip on the handheld market. Just literally yesterday, Nintendo had nearly 100% of the market, and today, it doesn't.

Mr_Furious said:
The GameGear sold VERY well in the US. I believe it sold over 12 million in it's lifetime. Sega killed it, not Nintendo.

jiggle

snapty00 said:
It is strange. Today is the say that Nintendo lost its total and utter grip on the handheld market. Just literally yesterday, Nintendo had nearly 100% of the market, and today, it doesn't.

You forgot N-gage!

edit: nvm, didn't see "nearly"

The Abominable Snowman said:
The GameGear sold VERY well in the US. I believe it sold over 12 million in it's lifetime. Sega killed it, not Nintendo.
12 million is a joke of a number compared to what Nintendo was raking in during the course of the GG's life time. Sega obviously killed it because it failed. Next.

Top Bottom