• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the DS won already?

Monk

Banned
You know the Nintendo numbers for 2k5 isn't that hard to forsee as they are geariing to sell 4.5 million by march. But those psp numbers, while they haven't sold that much at launch because of production difficulties, they are definately going to sell at a much faster rate if demand keeps up.

Mr_Furious said:
12 million is a joke of a number compared to what Nintendo was raking in in the course of the GG's life time. Sega obviously killed it because it failed. Next.
GameGear was handing the Game Boy it's ass in Europe, split the market in it's favor in North America and gained a little ground in Japan. Sega killed it because of mismanagement.

Monk

Banned
No pokemon killed the gamegear. After pokemon was released no one even cared about the game gear it seems,

Well I am not sure either, just a thought. Sega just didn't have any games that sold at that level.

I think it's probable that the market will grow, with the introduction of the PSP.

OK lets say the market grows 10% per year. But lets also say that PSP grabs 30% (Modest assumption)

10 million 2004 units sold gives Nintendo 10 million unit sales
11 million 2005 units sold gives Nintendo 7.7 million unit sales
12.1 million 2006 units sold give Nintendo 8.5 million unit sales

Monk said:
No pokemon killed the gamegear. After pokemon was released no one even cared about the game gear it seems,

Well I am not sure either, just a thought. Sega just didn't have any games that sold at that level.
Correct. They did not have the resources at the time to release a lot of their own popular titles so they axed it officially in the early Saturn years, although it was evident that they would axe it when after it's highest selling year, Sega started to curb support themselves.

Edit: Might I add that it got no major support from dozens of third parties, all with huge franchises, like the PSP has?

Che

Banned
ALERT!!! ALERT!!! HIGH LEVELS OF STUPIDITY DETECTED IN THE THREAD! EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY! ALERT! ALERT!

Monk said:

Well I am not sure either, just a thought.
What the fuck? Why did you say "No, Pokemon killed it" if you're not sure?

HyperionX

You know what else looks exactly like the PSP vs DS matchup?

Xbox vs. PS2, But with no Halo :D

Knowing how that turned out, I'm believing that the PSP will do ok, but will not take any market over.

The Abominable Snowman said:
GameGear was handing the Game Boy it's ass in Europe, split the market in it's favor in North America and gained a little ground in Japan. Sega killed it because of mismanagement.
Not surprised about Europe but let's face it, the UK was such an after thought back then due to issues with PAL (unrelated to portables, I know). The US and JP were the dominating markets back in the 16-bit era. Do you live in the U.S. because I sure as hell don't remember any market split where the GG was selling equally with that of the GB. And "gaining a little ground" in it's native land really isn't saying much.

I think this battle here will be uncomparable to any other generational showdown before it. I just believe that Nintendo might start backing the Game Boy Advance again in the not so distant future.

Mr_Furious said:
Not surprised about Europe but let's face it, the UK was such an after thought back then due to issues with PAL (unrelated to portables, I know). The US and JP were the dominating markets back in the 16-bit era. Do you live in the U.S. because I sure as hell don't remember any market split where the GG was selling equally with that of the GB. And "gaining a little ground" in it's native land really isn't saying much.
Yeah, perhaps I should have been a little more clear. For a solid year, the Game Gear outperformed all of Sega's estimates, perhaps thanks to 2 Sonic games and a Mortal Kombat as well as a few other titles.

Also, regarding your second post above, I was responding to someone else.

Monk said:

WTF? I had my Game Gear when I was 11, back in '92, it enjoyed it's stay for about 3 years, then went the way of the Dodo. By '96, the system was ALL but dead in the U.S; a full 2 years before Pokemon hit U.S. shores.

The Game Gear had a lot going for it; color and better graphics then the GB, and also that darn TV Tuner which made you the envy of every kid on the block.

The problems were the 6 AA batteries for about 4 hours of juice, the bulkiness of the thing, and mainly just a lack of software.

Monk

Banned
Hmm i didn't know that. But it is a scary thought, the GB beat the GG purely with batterly like and games like tetris and mario land. Atleast when I thought Pokemon killed it, it didn't feel like such a bad thing.

It is a scary thought what will happen to the psp when pokemon is released for the ds.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Monk said:
Hmm i didn't know that. But it is a scary thought, the GB beat the GG purely with batterly like and games like tetris and mario land. Atleast when I thought Pokemon killed it, it didn't feel like such a bad thing.

It is a scary thought what will happen to the psp when pokemon is released for the ds.

The problem is; neither the DS nor the PSP has any killer apps, at the moment, that will make EVERYONE go out and buy one. However, the DS has two looming on the horizon; Pokemon and JSS, while the PSP has none. Sony needs to capitalize on the downtime before Pokemon and JSS to get a lead going on Nintendo, and try to ride through the storm of those two games. Which is what I think they're trying to do, hitting with some big titles forthe PSP in december, such as Metal Gear Acid and Ridge Racers. However, they need something to counter JSS and Pokemon.

It'll still do very well, however. And perhaps the PSP won't even need a killer app to sell.

Monk

Banned
Mr_Furious said:
It'll be no more scary than what happens when a Pokemon game comes out on the GC.

The difference between the GC and the DS is that they are making a full fledged Pokemon game for the DS unlike the GC.

Monk said:
The difference between the GC and the DS is that they are making a full fledged Pokemon game for the DS unlike the GC.
The difference between the PSP and the DS is that they are marketed at 2 distinctly different demographics. The targeted PSP user (i.e. late teen/early adult) doesn't give 2 shits about Pokemon.

GaimeGuy

Mr_Furious said:
The difference between the PSP and the DS is that they are marketed at 2 distinctly different demographics. The targeted PSP user (i.e. late teen/early adult) doesn't give 2 shits about Pokemon.

I do. :(

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Mike Works said:
mashoutposse, can you concede that the PSP has lost so we can end this madness?

Sure, why not.

THA PSP WILL WILL CRUSH DS DUEL SCREENS LIKE DOMINATRIX CRUSH BALLS OF SLAVE

SHIT

NOW LOOK WHAT I DONE DID

;)

lockii said:
Nope! But it looks like I'll find out!?

LOLBBQ!!!! I had to scroll to get the punchline!

:lol

That was awesome.

IMO, handheld killer-apps rely on some sort of puzzle game where people can pick it up and play for a few minutes. Look at what Tetris did; even Columns helped sustain the GG's short, short life.

It's gonna be Mizuguchi vs. Mizuguchi;
Lumines vs. Meteos.
Round 1:
FIGHT!

GaimeGuy said:
The problem is; neither the DS nor the PSP has any killer apps, at the moment, that will make EVERYONE go out and buy one. However, the DS has two looming on the horizon; Pokemon and JSS, while the PSP has none. Sony needs to capitalize on the downtime before Pokemon and JSS to get a lead going on Nintendo, and try to ride through the storm of those two games. Which is what I think they're trying to do, hitting with some big titles forthe PSP in december, such as Metal Gear Acid and Ridge Racers. However, they need something to counter JSS and Pokemon.

It'll still do very well, however. And perhaps the PSP won't even need a killer app to sell.

All Sony need is a portable FF game for Japan (remake of FFVII w/ PSP graphics would do it) and a GTA-type of game for NA (be hard to do this with no streaming though :/) and they're set.

GaimeGuy

Pedigree Chum said:
All Sony need is a portable FF game for Japan (remake of FFVII w/ PSP graphics would do it) and a GTA-type of game for NA (be hard to do this with no streaming though :/) and they're set.

Except DS is getting the portable FF. :/

and FFVIII sold better than FFVII in Japan.

Monk

Banned
The do have one for the psp, unfortunately it is the shitty cell phone games. GTA on the other hand didn't do aswell I thought it would recently.

Amir0x

Banned
Also, Sony is getting a Final Fantasy game for PSP. How many times must that be said :p

Monk said:
Unfortunately its the shitty cell phone games...

Dear God, how many times must you be corrected? NO IT IS NOT. Square announced an action RPG for PSP called "FINAL FANTASY VII: CRISIS CORE" which is an all new Final Fantasy VII spin-off. Please. PLEASE. Get it right :p

GaimeGuy

Amir0x said:
*smacks forehead*

I was talking to Ferricide. DS is getting the traditional FF (FF3), well, and a spinoff (CC).

Not to mention the majority of Square Enix support.

SE might determine who wins in the long term in japan.

ferricide

GaimeGuy said:
I was talking to Ferricide. DS is getting the traditional FF (FF3), well, and a spinoff (CC).

o_O

what's the difference? FFCC's an action RPG too -- what's your point?

it's also a bit premature to say who's getting the "majority" of SE support.

oh, this is a very very silly discussion indeed.

Amir0x

Banned
GaimeGuy said:

The "majority" of Square Enix support has yet to be determined. We know that SE has announced more games for DS than it has for PSP, but they have said they are working on "other projects" for PSP and what those are has yet to be announced. I think it's a safe bet to say Square Enix will end up distributing its properities fairly evenly in the DS/PSP front.

GaimeGuy

Amir0x said:
The "majority" of Square Enix support has yet to be determined. We know that SE has announced more games for DS than it has for PSP, but they have said they are working on "other projects" for PSP and what those are has yet to be announced. I think it's a safe bet to say Square Enix will end up distributing its properities fairly evenly in the DS/PSP front.

Well, can't argue with that.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
The ability of the DS to double as an alternative to PalmPilot presents a lot of potential of "expanding the market"... and it will be a market the PSP can't fullly leverage due to thier being no touchscreen.

Question is whether Nintendo will open up development for non-gaming DS programs... or will they restrict it to just a few titles from themselves?

ferricide said:
why? pardon the phrase, but those two games are 'teh kiddie' and that's not who PSP is going after -- playstation gamers. adults on the go. etc.

Who history shows us are not the ones buying handhelds. No one has yet to tell us how SONY will create a new market out of thin air.

All this talk about power and shiny screen will go nowhere unless they do and in a BIG way. Its a beautiful unit but other sexy tech has fallen on deaf ears in the past, with bigger name recognition behind it. Nothing here is guarenteed.

At this point its as silly to say PSP will crush the DS as it was to assume xbox was a failure when it started. Too many variables.

But feel free to let the waves of hype wash you away with geek-like glee. It can be fun!

ferricide

Gahiggidy said:
Question is whether Nintendo will open up development for non-gaming DS programs... or will they restrict it to just a few titles from themselves?
well, since nintendo doesn't have concept approval.....

ferricide

krypt0nian said:
Who history shows us are not the ones buying handhelds. No one has yet to tell us how SONY will create a new market out of thin air.
i didn't say they'll succeed. i just said -- they're not competing for the market that wants to buy those games. that's all.

calm it down. next time you can translate your own damn prince of tennis webpage!

ferricide said:
i didn't say they'll succeed. i just said -- they're not competing for the market that wants to buy those games. that's all.

calm it down. next time you can translate your own damn prince of tennis webpage!

Where is the upset part? I read something and wrote back.

Insertia

If Japan is any indication...

DS launch:
1099492675_0023.jpg

PSP launch:
shibu04.jpg

;)

Seriously, I believe does not DS stand a chance against PSP in US and Euro markets. When put side-by-side PSP appeals a lot more to westerners.

Top Bottom