• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the DS won already?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
really sony won this in the design phase when their ambition so outstripped nintendo's. and they sealed that when they set such an agressive launch price. all that's left is to watch it play out. the psp and the ds are going to sit next to one another in shops, and that direct comparison won't be at all flattering to ds. maybe i just have a naïve faith in superior products.

drohne said:
really sony won this in the design phase when their ambition so outstripped nintendo's. and they sealed that when they set such an agressive launch price. all that's left is to watch it play out. the psp and the ds are going to sit next to one another in shops, and that direct comparison won't be at all flattering to ds. maybe i just have a naïve faith in superior products.
Well, you are an XBox fan ;)

krypt0nian said:
Who history shows us are not the ones buying handhelds. No one has yet to tell us how SONY will create a new market out of thin air.

All this talk about power and shiny screen will go nowhere unless they do and in a BIG way. Its a beautiful unit but other sexy tech has fallen on deaf ears in the past, with bigger name recognition behind it. Nothing here is guarenteed.

At this point its as silly to say PSP will crush the DS as it was to assume xbox was a failure when it started. Too many variables.

But feel free to let the waves of hype wash you away with geek-like glee. It can be fun!

Well Sony did it with the PS1. I don't see why they can't do it with the PSP. Teens/Adults don't have a problem buying/using handhelds...they just have to be cool (cell phones, PDA's, iPods, etc). It ain't cool to bring around GBA's, DS's...but PSP's are going to be a must-have accessory for the older crowd. I guarantee it. That's where Sony will build a new market. They will try to tap the market for cool portable gadgets.

Ah, the sweet, sweet desperation of Nintendo fans.

Sony's willing to take the hit to give us gamers $500 worth of hardware for $200. THAT'S what we as consumers want from companies -- not dated, 1997-era technology repackaged with an extra low-res screen and a stylus.

The DS might as well be stillborn. Once it saturates the hardcore Nintendo fanbase, it'll trickle off into irrelevance and OH HOW I'LL LAFF.

pspds8jj.jpg

drohne

i am an xbox fan!

but xbox isn't really a good reference point. nor is game gear, nor are the other analogies people tend to reach for. the gap between the psp and the ds is too big for analogies to cover. you can't really address it without recourse to grotesque hypotheticals, which i won't venture here. it's remarkable.

Drinky Crow said:
Ah, the sweet, sweet desperation of Nintendo fans.

Sony's willing to take the hit to give us gamers $500 worth of hardware for $200. THAT'S what we as consumers want from companies -- not dated, 1997-era technology repackaged with an extra low-res screen and a stylus.

The DS might as well be stillborn. Once it saturates the hardcore Nintendo fanbase, it'll trickle off into irrelevance and OH HOW I'LL LAFF.

pspds8jj.jpg

Ahh the desperation of GAF trolling.

Consumers are oblivious to cost to purchase price of electronics. Unless you think everyone who buys handhelds reads this forum?

Yes once it saturates the hardcore Nintendo base that you're saying totally accounts for the insanely HUGE GBA userbase. :lol

And the pic was funnier before you added your non-funny to it. Just a tip. :)

drohne

this time next year people won't ask whether nintendo should get out of hardware, because the incontrovertible evidence that they should will be choking remainder aisles at a retailer near you!

drohne said:
this time next year people won't ask whether nintendo should get out of hardware, because the incontrovertible evidence that they should will be choking remainder aisles at a retailer near you!

*roofles*

ami: I don't HATE 'em -- I'm just baffled why anyone would fork out the dollars for cut-rate hardware with a novelty controller.

The PSP offers a crazy upgrade, looks sleek as hell, and the potential entertainment offered by the homebrew/emulator/movie-friendly memory stick implementation absolutely SLAUGHTERS any gee-whiz thrills a geek might get from plying a stylus. Gahiggidy excluded, of course.

drohne

probably the relevant question now is whether nintendo should get out of software as well. given the example of mario 64 ds, it seems nintendo aren't even competent curators of their own faded legacy. they can't understand what makes mario 64 good, let alone develop new games to rival it. i hear nintendo used to make lovely playing cards. everyone likes playing cards.

Belfast

Seriously, if people have no problem paying $400 for an iPod, what's stopping the PSP from becoming a similar success?

drohne said:
probably the relevant question now is whether nintendo should get out of software as well. given the example of mario 64 ds, it seems nintendo aren't even competent curators of their own faded legacy. they can't understand what makes mario 64 good, let alone develop new games to rival it. i hear nintendo used to make lovely playing cards. everyone likes playing cards.

AM I RITE?

It'll probably be the new iPod. Seriously. If I were a teen and had to choose between a PSP and an iPod, I'd not only take the PSP for $50 more, I'd actively ostracize anyone who purchased the clumsy-looking garage kit called the DS.

That said, I think the alliterative phrase PICTOCHAT, POKEMON, AND PUPPIES pretty much sums up the sophistication of the average Nintendo chump.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Damn the trolls are on fire tonight.

That is some of the best prose I have read in weeks drhone. :lol

im serious too

explodet

We are young, heartache to heartache we stand
No promises, no demands
Love is a battlefield
We are strong, no one can tell us we’re wrong
Searchin’ our hearts for so long, both of us knowing
Love is a battlefield

Drinky Crow said:
It'll probably be the new iPod. Seriously. If I were a teen and had to choose between a PSP and an iPod, I'd not only take the PSP for $50 more, I'd actively ostracize anyone who purchased the clumsy-looking garage kit called the DS.

That said, I think the alliterative phrase PICTOCHAT, POKEMON, AND PUPPIES pretty much sums up the sophistication of the average Nintendo chump.

So you've got nothing then? I spoke to your points a few posts back and you resort to your bizarre attempts at humor again.

Drinky Crow said:

Oh come on, I agree the PSP is awesome, but the DS is going to have some great titles to look forward to. Regardless whether or not you like the hardware, there's going to be some great software on this thing. Wario Ware was enough to seal the deal for me.

Pedigree Chum said:
Oh come on, I agree the PSP is awesome, but the DS is going to have some great titles to look forward to. Regardless whether or not you like the hardware, there's going to be some great software on this thing. Wario Ware was enough to seal the deal for me.

You speak to him like he's a gamer and not just a web based auto-hate machine.

krypt: Your point was retarded. The GBA base is large because there wasn't a viable, competent alternative. I'd say the upgrade path post-GBA is pretty obvious, hardcore Nintendo types excluded -- as was my point.

By the time the current GBA audience is ready to upgrade their newly-purchased SPs, the PSP will be a legitimate phenomenon, and the DS pulpiteers will still be cruising the local EBs vainly looking for Pictochat partners.

Drinky Crow said:
krypt: Your point was retarded. The GBA base is large because there wasn't a viable, competent alternative. I'd say the upgrade path post-GBA is pretty obvious, hardcore Nintendo types excluded -- as was my point.

There were many alternatives over the years. Nice job changing the truth to suit your mad ramblings. The GBA has mainstream appeal. Despite being garage kit tech from generations ago.

Sorry if the real world gets in the way of your truthspeak.

Amir0x

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
ami: I don't HATE 'em -- I'm just baffled why anyone would fork out the dollars for cut-rate hardware with a novelty controller.

The PSP offers a crazy upgrade, looks sleek as hell, and the potential entertainment offered by the homebrew/emulator/movie-friendly memory stick implementation absolutely SLAUGHTERS any gee-whiz thrills a geek might get from plying a stylus. Gahiggidy excluded, of course..

To be fair, quality gameplay is not necessarily hampered by inferior technology. It can be, but any clever developer can work around it to create great games. And from that standpoint, it's fair to assume that the appeal with DS lies in the fact that it provides an alternative to normal game design. Of course, it's not the first time it has been done... and the touch screen technology is nothing special... but good gameplay is good gameplay. And of course Nintendo DS has Nintendo games, which is always a huge benefit in my mind :p

But that aside, I don't disagree with you that the PSP definitely has a better value in terms of technology. In that regard it's not even a competition. Considering that both don't have astounding game libraries yet, the PSP definitely has the leg up there.

Drinky Crow said:

By the time the current GBA audience is ready to upgrade their newly-purchased SPs, the PSP will be a legitimate phenomenon, and the DS pulpiteers will still be cruising the local EBs vainly looking for Pictochat partners.

Dude, you troll like a champ. Make me :lol WAY too much.

Drinky Crow said:
What viable alternatives with Sony-style design, features, and marketing muscle would those be?

Sony style design? :lol Way to qualify it so its suits you. You win! PSP = jesus! :lol

They say Nintendo fans have their heads in the sand! :D

Belfast

You know you're in trouble when the strongest title you can trot out for a system as a display of its capabilities is a collection of mini-games.

Belfast said:
You know you're in trouble when the strongest title you can trot out for a system as a display of its capabilities is a collection of mini-games.

And doesn't even play right since there's no Analogue stick. Bah, I'm patiently waiting for Wario Ware Touch/Twisted.

Belfast said:

I guess the PS2 was a failure because all they had was a snowboarding title at launch?

Ami: I'm not seeing these "alternatives to normal game design". To me, the stylus is just like the bongos for Jungle Beat or the SdeA maracas -- a cute gimmick, but nothing that pushes gaming beyond a slaphappy novelty act for a select group of jaded gamers and niche game fanatics.

Really, is the input device THAT CRUCIAL to innovation? I'd say it really isn't. The best forms of innovation come in software, and a great designer doesn't have to use an alternate input device as a crutch. Is there anything that REALLY makes Yoshi's Touch and Go more fundamentally fun than Yoshi's Island, save that a few kids are sick of joypads? Not to my mind.

Belfast said:
You know you're in trouble when the strongest title that showcases the truly innovative concept of touch screen controls on your own system at launch is from Sega :-\

Oh, Drinkles. I could even agree with you about the Jungle Beat bongos, but the Samba de Amigo maracas? You break my fucking heart.

paul777

Banned
Belfast said:
Seriously, if people have no problem paying $400 for an iPod, what's stopping the PSP from becoming a similar success?

You mean 5-6 million units in three years? If PSP doesn't achieve much more than an ipod level of success it will be a colossal failure.

Belfast

The difference is SSX wasn't a gimmick and actually had some solid gameplay. I guess I might be in the minority here, but while I enjoyed Wario Ware, Nintendo is quickly running it into the ground. Its losing its quirky appeal and becoming yet another sickly horse in Nintendo's underachieving stable of gimmicky trash.

Amir0x

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
Ami: I'm not seeing these "alternatives to normal game design". To me, the stylus is just like the bongos for Jungle Beat or the SdeA maracas -- a cute gimmick, but nothing that pushes gaming beyond a slaphappy novelty act for a select group of jaded gamers and niche game fanatics.

There's no doubt that absolutely no one has made great use of the stylus yet. Now there's two places we can go. Either developers are going to improve and really create intelligent and progressive game design centering around the stylus, or they're going to continue on the road they're going and completely defeat the purpose. No matter what party you're in, it can't hurt to try. I have no loyalty for any company, but I do at least like to give new gaming possibilities a chance... because I like games. What can I say?

At worst, it'll be a failure and we would have played a bunch of glorified mini-game compilations and a few worthy N64 ports. At best, we'll end up with a bunch of really brilliant games that exploit the design of the DS to show what impact such a direction has on gaming. What actually happens is anyone's guess... and obviously you've already developed a pretty firm guess :p

Drinky Cow said:
Really, is the input device THAT CRUCIAL to innovation? I'd say it really isn't. The best forms of innovation come in software, and a great designer doesn't have to use an alternate input device as a crutch. Is there anything that REALLY makes Yoshi's Touch and Go more fundamentally fun than Yoshi's Island, save that a few kids are sick of joypads? Not to my mind.

Here's the part that there's going to be the most contention over. Is the touch screen crucial to innovation... hmmm... I think my answer would be No. But is the touch screen helpful to innovation? I think I'd go with yes. It's not that the best forms of innovation aren't through software, it's that the stylus device provides a developer a chance to expand on certain concepts to create innovation through software using an alternate way of input. It can do it without a stylus, but at the very least you must admit that -some- thought must go into how both screens will be used, even if in the end a boring developer will just plop some map on it.

Is it fundamentally more fun than Yoshi's Island? Absolutely not. It's just different. And different can be good.

Mr_Furious said:
You know you're in trouble when the strongest title that showcases the truly innovative concept of touch screen controls on your own system at launch is from Sega :-\

Yes especially when it single-handedly got non-gamers to *gasp* play a handheld for the first time in their lives. I cannot tell you how many non-gamers I've stunned with it. You wouldn't care anyway obviously.

I guess expanding the overall audience isn't as a huge concept as more of the same + portable but to each their own.

Drinky Crow said:

Doesn't a new input device spark innovation in software though?

Belfast said:
The difference is SSX wasn't a gimmick and actually had some solid gameplay. I guess I might be in the minority here, but while I enjoyed Wario Ware, Nintendo is quickly running it into the ground. Its losing its quirky appeal and becoming yet another sickly horse in Nintendo's underachieving stable of gimmicky trash.

Playing the gimmick card gets you nothing. I say its FAR from a gimmick.

Belfast

paul777 said:
You mean 5-6 million units in three years? If PSP doesn't achieve much more than an ipod level of success it will be a colossal failure.

I'm talking about brand appeal, son. They're servicing patently different markets, but the tactics used to sell both (sleek, sexy, and functional) have driven people to eschew the cost based solely upon looks and tech appeal. You've got to be kidding yourself if you think the iPod isn't the "hot" thing currently and Sony stands to expect the same kind of consumer and media attention that Apple's little toy currently enjoys.

Belfast

krypt0nian said:
Yes especially when it single-handedly got non-gamers to *gasp* play a handheld for the first time in their lives. I cannot tell you how many non-gamers I've stunned with it. You wouldn't care anyway obviously.

I guess expanding the overall audience isn't as a huge concept as more of the same + portable but to each their own.

Just wait til you see the number of non-gamers going "holy shit" at the PSP once it shows up in demo kiosks playing movies on that luscious, bright, clear LCD screen. Show anyone a new piece of kit for the first time and they're going to be mildly intrigued. You might've impressed the people that've never used a PDA before.

And yeah its a gimmick. Its Wario Ware, only now you gotta spin it! Its Wario Ware, only now you gotta touch it! Unfortunately, there wasn't much room for real innovation in WW from the very beginning other than cramming in more mini-games that, after time, begin to look like the all the rest.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Defensor said:
:lol Thread fully summarized. Archive it and call it a day.

EDIT:

I cannot tell you how many non-gamers I've stunned with it.
I just stunned a few people today with the vidcam capabilities of a PDA I've owned for more than a year now. STUNNED, I TELLS YA.

drohne

after the ds's current rash of tamagotchis, graphical chat rooms, and minigame collections, i wonder what sort of preposterous gaming rubbish will be left to dredge up and repackage. love testers? pachislot? hentai dating sims? the mind reels. and after a brief period of reorientation, gets back to lusting after a psp. as the healthy mind must.

Top Bottom