• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you seen a transformer masterpiece figure

protonion

I have and my mind was blown.

(side note, one of the most entertaining youtubers I have seen)

Where were these toys in my childhood? How the hell are they made? Incredible stuff. If I saw them as a kid, my parents wouldn't have a calm day until they bought one for me.

Now...

I want to buy one. Starscream is obviously the popular choice. But it so expensive....
There is an unofficial one:
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/141362

Half price. Is it good?

How durable are they? How many transformations will they stand before becoming loose or whatever?

I have a soft spot for Wheeljack but it maybe difficult to find.

Do you have any? What is your favourite? Which one has the best transformation in your opinion?

kunonabi

I've only bought a couple since they tend to be very delicate or have QC issues. I think they've gotten better lately though.

GuyKazama

Starscream is excellent. Both the third party and official are solid, but if you are choosing between them, the New Masterpiece is the way to go despite the cost. Much more interesting transformation, better proportioned, less kibble, and more accurate to the show.

my current favorite is this third party Motormaster. Uses some sort of witchcraft to turn turn into cab and trailer.

Last edited:

TheMan

I've wanted to get some of these but they're older now, getting more expensive, and I already waste money on enough useless crap

still gonna watch this video though

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Bro, I've proactively tried to delete my knowledge of those lol. Even if I had disposable income I wouldn't be enough to satisfy that thirst. With that said it'll eventually comes to a point I'll get one..

BUT WHICH ONE?!?! 😭

Grimlock and Wheelie double pack...SOLD.

c7eada0c-3eda-4466-a10b-c440b9eac9cb.jpg

Dazrael

Masterpiece Jetfire is the next big one to be released apparently although I’m keeping my fingers crossed for Galvatron someday. MP Rodimus Prime has been without his greatest adversary for too long.

sol_bad

Ya, I have quite a few of them but need to catch up. I still haven't bought Beast Wars Tigatron, Arcee, Movie Masterpiece Starscream, Movie Masterpiece Ratchet and the new Starscream/Thundercracker/Skywarp molds.
RyJDRCS.jpg

6B545Fw.jpg

J92ie4H.jpg

*EDIT*
Rattrap, Rhinox and Waspinator are not Masterpiece.

Last edited:
Yeah I have a couple but the cost has raised so much in the last few years they basically priced me out of it. Even the KO vers can be rather expensive now.

protonion

Reviving my topic (how time flies wtf) as I finally got my first figure.
The coronation Starscream.
Not masterpiece but it's cute and easy to transform.

DNkUP2E.jpeg

In the meantime all this time I have been obsessed with these figures, watching daily transformations on YouTube for every one of them.
What I have seen, is that the 3rd party ones blow the officials out of the water.

This one in particular looks out of this world.

You cannot see a single trace of a robot in the helicopter mode. And the robot itself looks super cool with nice proportions.

This may be my first expensive purchase.
It's on sale for 189 dollars on showz store.

Anyone has experience with this? They ship to EU for 3.5 dollars. Is this legit?

Vestal

Gold Member
There are the DX Chokogin figures.

n7dXrFe.jpg
ASAExIE.jpg

WcUORUk.jpg
I had the original of this fucker back in the late 80s.. Played the shit out of it, it was well built solid and just fucking awesome lol.

Many a fantasy wars did he win during his prime!

Edit: it was this one, but for the life of me I thought it had the Transformers logos on it..
56LJ63j.jpg

Last edited:
Fascinating. Though I do want to mention that for the 3rd Party Seekers (Starscream, Skywarp and Thundercracker) from Deformation Space are on sale at a good price:

I'd also like to make mention that Legends scale transformers have come a long way:

bfa4f0f043.jpg

I had the original of this fucker back in the late 80s.. Played the shit out of it, it was well built solid and just fucking awesome lol.

Many a fantasy wars did he win during his prime!

Edit: it was this one, but for the life of me I thought it had the Transformers logos on it..
56LJ63j.jpg
You're thinking of G1 Jetfire/Skyfire which was a Macross Valkyrie released under the Transformers line

Z3N41tK.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You're thinking of G1 Jetfire/Skyfire which was a Macross Valkyrie released under the Transformers line

Z3N41tK.jpg
I didn't have many transformers, but I had Jetfire too. Made the rest of them I had look like shit. Optimus, Soundwave, a red sports car I forget the name and some more.

For those of you who only had newer transformers, the old G1 ones were sturdy as hell. Some of the parts were metal. Megatron was another one with metal parts.

My bro had this. That was during the transformer craze and he got Megatron (I forget who got it for him). But he was already grown out of toys so he gave it to me.

475px-G1Megatron_toy.jpg

Last edited:
Yes they're great, first got a handful ten years or so ago, but in the last couple of years started collecting properly both Takara and third Party. Just need Fanstoys Hunk (Brawn), X-Transbots Boost (Windcharger - although that will be a placeholder until something better comes along) and Four of the Fanstoys Dinobots (I've got Takara Grimlock but the scale is far too small) and my G! Series 1 will be complete. Do need to buy some new cabinets soon.

8HLVM3h.jpg

Ownage

They should make a Transformer called Kolektor that collects things for social media promotion. Make it skinny, short and wears glasses. He can be the Autobots' archivist.

Yes they're great, first got a handful ten years or so ago, but in the last couple of years started collecting properly both Takara and third Party. Just need Fanstoys Hunk (Brawn), X-Transbots Boost (Windcharger - although that will be a placeholder until something better comes along) and Four of the Fanstoys Dinobots (I've got Takara Grimlock but the scale is far too small) and my G! Series 1 will be complete. Do need to buy some new cabinets soon.

Terry's has Windcharger/Boost (toon version) in stock: https://www.terrytfsclub.com/products/xtransbot-mmvi-boost-toon-version-p0020

RobotToyBase still has Brawn/Hunk available (which is where I got him): https://robotoybase.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=153_176&product_id=5702&limit=100

Terry's has Windcharger/Boost (toon version) in stock: https://www.terrytfsclub.com/products/xtransbot-mmvi-boost-toon-version-p0020

RobotToyBase still has Brawn/Hunk available (which is where I got him): https://robotoybase.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=153_176&product_id=5702&limit=100
Good price for Boost, think its just sold out though :(
I'm UK based and I can get Hunk off a Facebook group I'm part of for around £110ish, but thanks anyway.
Besides I've just recently bought Fanstoys Phoenix and Stomp and Takara Hound so if I buy anymore this month I'll probably get an right earful lol

Karmic Raze

Those are awesome. I’d love to grab me up some, and I’ve also been wanting to get anime statues/figures, but I just don’t have a good way of displaying them at the moment. No room.

Last edited:
Good price for Boost, think its just sold out though :(
I'm UK based and I can get Hunk off a Facebook group I'm part of for around £110ish, but thanks anyway.
Besides I've just recently bought Fanstoys Phoenix and Stomp and Takara Hound so if I buy anymore this month I'll probably get an right earful lol

Boost is also on RobotToyBase: https://robotoybase.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=153_183&product_id=4949&limit=100

Just check with shipping price as it's not included on regular pricing.

Also can be found at:

And speaking of XTB it looks like they might finally have a winner with their Springer:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Best version

Johnny goes all out and those synths or whatever stuff at the end... Yes yes yes

End part best part (idioteque) And yes FPRPlants is still breathlessly awesome

24 yrs later and still loving it

Live like a boss

Last edited:
WeJXt4T.jpeg

It arrived! So good! I'm afraid to transform it...

Take it slow and don't force unless you know for certain that the part moves in the direction you want it to go.

Look at multiple youtube videos as there at least several who will take the time to show how to properly transform, like emgo.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member

8HLVM3h.jpg
How much was jet fire?!

How much was jet fire?!
A few months ago Omegalock "found" some stock in one of their warehouses so I got him for new for £230, typically a month later the pre-orders for Takara'a land. I happy with my Fanstoys one though, a little bit hard to pose but overall a awesome bot.

protonion

Take it slow and don't force unless you know for certain that the part moves in the direction you want it to go.

Look at multiple youtube videos as there at least several who will take the time to show how to properly transform, like emgo.

YZef16h.jpeg

It took in total 6 hours... Lot of tears in the process... The first attempt went badly. The instructions are terrible and one crucial detail was not communicated. I transformed it halfway and got stuck. I figured it on my own. Beyond this point the manual was useless. Thankfully YouTube had a couple of videos. Even with those it was brutal. The end result was worth it. As much as I like it, I do not think I will buy such a complex figure again. I prefer those that are fun to transform.

LQX

I have way too many Transformers. Only a few Masterpieces though as I caught the line very late and missed out on many.

Top Bottom