• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Having a thick, full head of hair is an amazing feeling

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
And let no one else tell you any different. Yes if you've lost a lot of hair and its clearly visible, then sometimes its better to just go full bald. But its never better than having a thick, full mane. Brushing your hand through it and just playing with and feeling of thick carpet on your head is a great feeling.

Now now, before everyone accuses me of bragging, its not about me....exactly.

I started losing hair around 8 years back. For close to one or two years, I knew I would lose my hair. It was horrible. I was afraid of shamppoing too hard cause I would then lose what seemed like millions of hair. Would have to comb my hair very carefully. I was sure that in a few years I would be completely bald. And even worse was the fact that specific hairstyles made me look really good and I knew after a while I wont be able to style my hair that way. I was 24, in my prime. Had started gyming and styling properly and for the first time I was getting a lot of attention from the opposite sex. I was dating different women and life was good. But I knew it wont last long.
Then I thought I had nothing to lose by trying a few meds. So I started rogaine. Thankfully I hadnt lost as much hair to be really visible. Guys, rogaine really helped. I would say I got some hair back too. I also took Finasteride, though in very small doses (1/4th of a tablet every 3 days etc). I think that helped too (side note- its been 5-6 years and thankfully I havent had the dreaded side effects).
I wont say that I dont lose hair. I still lose about 20 a day. Sometimes its more suddenly (and that scares the hell out of me), especially after summer and in winter. But usually that spell goes away after a month or so. I have been able to keep the same hair since past 8 years I would say, give or take.
Coming back to the thick part. So sometimes my hair is super thick and voluminous. Specially the next day of shampoo. And its a great feeling. When I am not losing hair and am not afraid of rummaging through it, I keep doing that the whole day.
But then there are days (maybe a couple of months a year) when I again start losing suddenly and am afraid of messing with it. Those days suck. I start feeling I am going bald again and what not. Thankfully they dont last all that long usually and I am back to playing with them.

So, in summary, yeah this thread is weird. But I just wanted to share that work on your hair as soon as you feel you might be losing it. After a few years its too late. And the medicines do work. And I would almost always prefer full thick head of hair than going bald. Thats all!

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
giphy.gif

Keihart

I went to the dermatologist because i was worried about hair loss and she prescribed me something that after reading the common side effects made me nope and never use it. Gotta go to a better dermatologist that specializes in it, i read that there are tests to determine exactly how to treat your hair loss.

I just have an ugly head shape behind the hair, i know i'll look super weird shaving it when older if the hair loss gets worse.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Oh yes, yes it is.

Unfortunately most men don’t fully appreciate it until it starts falling away. I know I didn’t.

I’m still far from baldness, but the mane I had until the end of my 20s was glorious and I miss it dearly.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
34 years old here, long and thick hair. Had very long hair earlier this year and cut it down to shoulder length again (washing them just became a pain in the ass honestly). The girl that cut my hair said every women would be jealous of my hair. lol

I understand it though. could do quite a lot with it but I just do not have the nerve for it. The whole long hair thing made me gain respect for the women. You would not believe how much time and effort it takes to sustain nice haircuts when having long hair.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
If the hair defines you as a man, then you are more insecure than you thought. It's ok, you can still get pussy without the hair bro.
I agree that I am insecure. But unfortunately, I dont have good shaped skull. I won't look cool or badass if I went bald, I would just look goofy.
And the fact is that I got for more attention when I had good hairstyle than when I didn't. Maybe that contributed to this thought process too.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Jesus... I've been attractive and popular all my life but still for many years felt miserable and insecure because I focused only on my "imperfections" (they were not). It was so bad I was really suspicious of why women were "chasing me". So I fully understand that sometimes idealism in society can get to people. But respectfully, my humble opinion is that you have much deeper issues. I've had them myself, some still remains, but going deeper into the psyche of it and "treating" it made me realise what a fool I used to be spending time worrying about crap, even though now I'm older and not as attractive anymore ;)

V2Tommy

I have tremendous hair but I think it's wrong to mention or brag about it in a public setting. It's like skinny girls posting how awesome it is to be skinny.

Dr_Salt

I went to the dermatologist because i was worried about hair loss and she prescribed me something that after reading the common side effects made me nope and never use it. Gotta go to a better dermatologist that specializes in it, i read that there are tests to determine exactly how to treat your hair loss.

I just have an ugly head shape behind the hair, i know i'll look super weird shaving it when older if the hair loss gets worse.

I'm sorry but if you are suffering from male pattern baldness the only scientifically proven things to work are finasteride and minoxidil. Maybe dermarolling. Everything else is snakeoil.

If you have a vitamin or any other kind of deficiency then you can reverse it with proper nutrition but this are rare cases. Anyways your derm should have made you do some bloodwork to better determine what the cause of your hairloss is before prescribing fin. The hard truth is that 3/4 times it is due to mbp.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I still got decent hair, but when I'm an old man and if I'm bald I'm gonna wear hilarious toupees that fall off when I bend over and act all embarrassed and watch the reactions of the people around me.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Having and maintaining nice long hair requires a ton of nutrients and energy btw. You gotta eat a lot of vegetation and load up with energy. It's tough work.

Keihart

I'm sorry but if you are suffering from male pattern baldness the only scientifically proven things to work are finasteride and minoxidil. Maybe dermarolling. Everything else is snakeoil.

If you have a vitamin or any other kind of deficiency then you can reverse it with proper nutrition but this are rare cases. Anyways your derm should have made you do some bloodwork to better determine what the cause of your hairloss is before prescribing fin. The hard truth is that 3/4 times it is due to mbp.
Yeah, i read about it. It wasn't pills, i forgot what it was , but it was topical and it had a very low success rate ...it also had the side effect of accelarating hair loss in the first 2 months, lol
I'll try to go see a better one in the near future, just to try and see, i'm not getting bald that fast but i can feel i have less dense hair already.

Last edited:

Nester99

Deciding to embrace the baldness and cut short was a Great Leap Forward in my life.
For men, hair is just some bullshit that gets in the way of living.

Short and easy!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
did you make this thread after reading this thread?

0aym1Yp.png

SirTerry-T

This is why we need National Service in the UK and whatever the fucking equivalent is elsewhere in the world.
What's happened to Blokes, seriously.

dan76

I've got think hair and it's a bit of a pain in the ass. What with lockdown I'm growing it out, going for the Led Zeppelin tribute band / mid life crisis look. I look like a woman. I'm putting so much shit on it to weigh it down. My girlfriend thinks it's ridiculous, but I won't cut it, not for anything. I'm committed now. Just able to do the horrendous man bun. Fuck.

I'm 50 and I haven't even started thinning yet. I thought I would be bald because my maternal grandfather was - I think that's the link, right? Maybe it's just an old wives tale though.

When I was 17 I was playing hockey, there was a fight and my helmet came off. The guy I was fighting grabbed my hair and forced my head down then repeatedly upper cutted me and spread my nose across my face. Took fucking months and months to go back to normal.

I have shaved my head ever since

as someone who had shaved his head since I turned 30, I feel personally offended. :messenger_unamused: I demand the OP be banned for this afront upon us folks who are facing challenges in the hair department.
kidding of course :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I would post a counterpoint that some ladies like the bald look/feel. I've had a few ladies I know who ran their hand on my bald head and commented how nice it feels in more intimate settings, so there's that. either way, no matter which side you're on, as long as you own it, you'll be fine.

Quasicat

I actually prefer not having a full thick head of hair. I’m kind of lazy so it makes it easy to get up, get dressed, and leave for work and not having to check and make sure my hair looks good. I have male coworkers that have full blown discussions on hair styles and product. I’m just happy that it’s not something I have to worry about.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I've had shaggy hair before, but mine is currently just below my jawline, far longer than it has ever been.

I do have thick hair, whether it is cut short or left longer. The barber always uses the thinning shears at the end of a cut.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
im sure it is. im cursed with my dad and grandfather's hair.

having good hair is a for real privilege. look at all the celebs they all have nice hair.

next to being tall, having good hair is a massive advantage.

Top Bottom