• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hawkeye |OT| Bro...

ManaByte

Gold Member
Hawkeye-Character-Posters-Collage.jpg

Hawkeye is an original new series set in post-blip New York City where former Avenger Clint Barton aka Hawkeye has a seemingly simple mission: get back to his family for Christmas. But when a threat from his past shows up, Hawkeye reluctantly teams up with Kate Bishop, a 22-year-old skilled archer, and his biggest fan, to unravel a criminal conspiracy.

Episodes air every Wednesday on Disney+

jason10mm

Gold Member
Tell me the bow work is at least better. The rubber string/CGI stuff from the films was annoying but fortunately very brief and second stage to all the heavy hitters. But for Hawkeyes own show I want/expect much better arrow work. But it's D+ so may expectations are rock bottom anyway.

YCoCg

Watched the first two episodes, I'm starting to see the downside of a connected universe because all I kept thinking through most of this was that stuff can be fixed by visiting the wizard who lives in the same city, same borough even!

Especially the drama they're trying to build with Clint having to rush or else he won't make the flights home for Christmas, dude, you know Doctor Strange, he can teleport shit across the universe, I doubt dropping you off right outside your front door is going to bother him.

sol_bad

Watched the first two episodes, I'm starting to see the downside of a connected universe because all I kept thinking through most of this was that stuff can be fixed by visiting the wizard who lives in the same city, same borough even!

Especially the drama they're trying to build with Clint having to rush or else he won't make the flights home for Christmas, dude, you know Doctor Strange, he can teleport shit across the universe, I doubt dropping you off right outside your front door is going to bother him.

How would Hawkeye know Doctor Strange personally? Stephen primarily interacted with Tony, Parker and the Guardians in Infinity War, in Endgame there was just a big battle and I don't think you even see Strange and Hawkeye interact.

The action wasn't great in this show but it's a lot of fun seeing Kate and Clint interact. I don't know anything about Echo so I'm excited to see her next episode.
The intro in 2012 was pretty damn awesome, I hope we see more things like this in the MCU, see key events from the perspective of other people.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I don't know anything about Echo so I'm excited to see her next episode.

Pretty big tie to the Daredevil corner of the Marvel universe already in the show.

She's deaf and has similar mimicking abilities to Taskmaster, and she's Kingpin's adopted daughter.

50455-6209-66259-1-daredevil.jpg

YCoCg

How would Hawkeye know Doctor Strange personally? Stephen primarily interacted with Tony, Parker and the Guardians in Infinity War, in Endgame there was just a big batt
I'm sure it's come up at least once in discussion where people are, if Clint is visiting New York surely he's going to know that both Strange and Spiderman are going to be there canon wise. Otherwise the whole bigger universe thing falls apart because it becomes a blind spot.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'm sure it's come up at least once in discussion where people are, if Clint is visiting New York surely he's going to know that both Strange and Spiderman are going to be there canon wise. Otherwise the whole bigger universe thing falls apart because it becomes a blind spot.

This is the same "Why didn't the Avengers just show up" straw man everyone makes with every movie.

YCoCg

This is the same "Why didn't the Avengers just show up" straw man everyone makes with every movie.
That usually has a good reason behind it though, unlike setting the story in the same place as two major heroes being a few blocks away. I dunno, kinda feels like New York should be off limits for a bit in the MCU.

ManaByte

Gold Member
That usually has a good reason behind it though, unlike setting the story in the same place as two major heroes being a few blocks away. I dunno, kinda feels like New York should be off limits for a bit in the MCU.
Sure right when they’re reintroducing Daredevil, put New York off limits.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Superman is Batman's friend... Call him to handle everything in Gotham... Batman is part of the Justice League... Call them to take down the court of owls... Get Batman to figure out this caper for Wonder Woman...

Heroes often solve their own problems... They don't want to involve anyone else because heroes are out here trying to save folks in their areas.

Put it in a real world analogy... The police have a tough local crime that they are having a hard time cracking... Do they call the CIA or FBI when it isn't terror related or a federal crime? No... Same applies to any hero. It applies to Hawkeye.

YCoCg

Sure right when they’re reintroducing Daredevil, put New York off limits.
Doesn't that make it even worse? Then you've got Daredevil to the west in hell's kitchen, Peter in Queens, Miles in Harlem, Strange in South Manhattan. Trying to do stand alone stories in NYC that involve a massive threat is going to be a bit, uhhh, obvious.

At least from the rumours Daredevil is being introduced in Spiderman NWH which is a film that acknowledges other characters, what with Doctor Strange being a major part of it and the cause in a sense.

Superman is Batman's friend... Call him to handle everything in Gotham... Batman is part of the Justice League... Call them to take down the court of owls... Get Batman to figure out this caper for Wonder Woman...

Heroes often solve their own problems... They don't want to involve anyone else because heroes are out here trying to save folks in their areas.

Put it in a real world analogy... The police have a tough local crime that they are having a hard time cracking... Do they call the CIA or FBI when it isn't terror related or a federal crime? No... Same applies to any hero. It applies to Hawkeye.
But this is like Batman visiting Metro City and dealing with a massive crime force that threatens the city and NOT thinking perhaps he should see if supes is around.

YCoCg

Russian mafia in tracksuits aren’t an Avengers level threat, bro.
This is also Marvel and things tend to escalate fast, we've only just seen Echo introduced.

But yeah it's only two episodes, still plenty of time for them to address things really, who knows, maybe this takes place when Strange is visiting Wanda during the WandaVision epilogue or something.

YCoCg

Echo isn’t an Avengers level threat. These are street level characters. Where weee the complaints about the Avengers never solving Daredevils problems in that show?
You know if you read my actual post my main complaint is the false timer imposed on the show. Clint has to do this before the last flight leaves or else he misses Christmas with his family, and they kept leaning on that.

Would YOU be worried about airport flight deadlines when the guy a few subway stops away can literally teleport you anywhere in the universe?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
You know if you read my actual post my main complaint is the false timer imposed on the show. Clint has to do this before the last flight leaves or else he misses Christmas with his family, and they kept leaning on that.

Would YOU be worried about airport flight deadlines when the guy a few subway stops away can literally teleport you anywhere in the universe?

Clint isn't worried about a flight. He just says he'll be there for Christmas. He has Fury on speed dial. He can Quinjet Clint home in a heartbeat.

YCoCg

Clint isn't worried about a flight. He just says he'll be there for Christmas. He has Fury on speed dial. He can Quinjet Clint home in a heartbeat.
Hell that too! It just felt like an odd thing for the show to try and set up with the whole airport conversation.

sol_bad

Would you really expect Hawkeye to call on Doctor Strange or Spider-man to help with finding a suit and taking care of the Tracksuit Mafia? With that logic you might as well be thinking there should be zero crime in New York as Doctor Strange should have already taken care of it all.

Also, we have no idea what Doctor Strange of Spider-Man are currently doing 2 years after the blip. They could be busy with other things and I don't think this show should waste time explaining what other characters are doing and why they can't be there.

*EDIT*
And to add to that, if you have seen WandaVision and Falcon and the Winter Soldier, it feels like the Avengers have currently dispended and aren't really seeing each other after the Thanos incident.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Hah, this show man. It is full tilt Marvel movie mode but aimed at a teenage-to-early twenties demo with overtones that should attract older viewers - in all the best ways. It's also staying shockingly true to the Matt Fraction run on the comics in terms of tone and humor. Personally I am loving it.

- They picked the perfect Kate Bishop
- Putting Jeremy Renner in a daddy comedy with stuff like him having to straight face it through a LARP festival is absolutely hilarious
- So far in these two episodes they have been doing their own thing mostly, which is a breath of fresh air for the Marvel TV shows

4/5 so far. Good stuff. Aims its sights at both a Gen X and millennial target audience and somehow manages to hit them both.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
It's also staying shockingly true to the Matt Fraction run on the comics in terms of tone and humor.

I saw a review from one of the Hollywood Trades that keeps trying to push superhero fatigue who said it was too beholden to the MCU to be the Matt Fraction run, but after these first two episodes it's completely the Fraction run. Like after that review I was worried the Tracksuit Mafia wouldn't be the Tracksuit Mafia, but bro they were bro.

Alright, just watched the first two episodes aanndddddddd content wise, yeah it's a snack of a show.

Not amazing, but worth a watch.

BUT, from a technical perspective, and this is coming from someone who works in the industry:

Theres a lot of weird and amateur work in the production scattered here and there, especially editing wise.

In episode 1 theres that weird hard cut when Kate is holding the wine bottle up before it breaks into a million pieces.

Theres that one scene where Clint just arrived to the hotel with his family and theres that painfully obvious dub to what I assume is added in because the producers felt the scene was too quiet.

Then they added a weird dub of Clint saying "yeah" when Kate mentions that she is an amazing archer at her apartment - but his mouth wasnt moving.

Some odd choices in camera angles like a Dutch angle for an establishing shot that looked jarring, or that scene with the dead body where camera is shot down like a CCTV and then pans when maid comes in.

This isnt even me touching some weird plot devices added to create a reason for a story, but I can excuse that from a storytelling perspective.

Aaaaaaanyyyywaaaaay, that's just a perspective from someone who works behind the camera from pre, production, and post.

Either way, it's a fun show.

Just confused at the odd amateur moments for a multimillion production from Disney of all people.

But mostly, I understand to an extent of the oddities.

Just funny to see them is all as I didn't expect to see that kind of anomalies in the show.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Damn DM's Christmas Island out of nowhere closing out ep 2 was a big nostalgia hit.

Show is ok, there are things I like about it, things that are kinda cheese.

Vera Farmiga in that red dress tho, gawd damn girl.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
While the David Lynch part is true, there are Easter Eggs and other comic book references that viewers may not be aware of.
They are not even Easter eggs anymore, it's the video equivalent of those little asterisks that say "see Marvel X-men #344" or whatever that littered comic pages in the day. Just tying in all the little threads.

Top Bottom