• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hawkeye |OT| Bro...

MrMephistoX

Holy shit I don’t know why everyone is ready for these shows to be shitty based on two episodes…this is just damn good as of episode 4 and I’m so damn happy this confirms the Netflix shows aren’t being trashed.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Holy shit I don’t know why everyone is ready for these shows to be shitty based on two episodes…this is just damn good as of episode 4 and I’m so damn happy this confirms the Netflix shows aren’t being trashed.

Well I doubt you're ever going to see Finn Jones again.

jason10mm

Gold Member
So what is the deal with the watch? It comes and goes so erratically during the show.

Is it a hint as to clints real identity? His wife's? Fuck, is she kingpins daugher/sister/niece?

Kate's mom is gonna turn out to be an early black widow, isn't she?

As for the blip, you'd think it would have generated more excitement from the POV of someone just realizing half the planet might be coming back (including the parents of your adopted kid).

trikster40

So what is the deal with the watch? It comes and goes so erratically during the show.

Is it a hint as to clints real identity? His wife's? Fuck, is she kingpins daugher/sister/niece?

Kate's mom is gonna turn out to be an early black widow, isn't she?

As for the blip, you'd think it would have generated more excitement from the POV of someone just realizing half the planet might be coming back (including the parents of your adopted kid).
I’m not entirely positive, but I get the feeling it somehow reveals that Clint was Ronin? Still not sure why it was at the Avengers tower to begin with (along with all the other Ronin gear) or why he would have a watch that could endanger his family. You’d think after Endgame he would have destroyed all of it.

MastaKiiLA

I'm through episode 4, and man, this series is very befitting of the character. It's gotta be the most nondescript series so far. This feels Netflix Marvel quality, which isn't terrible, but isn't great either. I'm curious to know if 5 and 6 try to introduce some metaverse stuff, or if this will end up being a holiday special that has no connection to the rest of the MCU.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Episode 5 was this week. No multiverse. That doesn’t fit with street level Marvel.

And no connection to the rest of the MCU? It’s almost an epilogue to both Endgame (Ronin) and Black Widow. Hell they showed the blip from the POV of someone blipped.
Agreed, Hawkeye is LOADED with references and direct continuations to the MCU. From yet another view of the NYC invasion, to the "average joes" opinion and perspective of the Avengers, Thanos, and the blip, it is a necessary thing to show if they want to build a new crop of heroes and what their attitudes towards the OG folks might be. Things like the broadway show hint at an almost desperate need to lionize the initial avengers despite their flaws (Tony seems to be getting a major free pass for all his fuck ups), while the plaque and free meals at restaurants gives us the gratitude usually reserved for first responders during 9/11 or soldiers coming back now. It's nice they were able to be more direct, versus all that "the incident" and "the big green guy" B$ the netflix shows had to do.

I'm actually kinda surprised Clint hasn't told Kate to just be a soldier or policeman if she wants to help people directly through combat. How do you apply to SHIELD/SWORD these days? Seems like an obvious route for her given what we see the other non-super agents doing in the films and shows. Why play at vigilante when you can go legit?

I'm waiting for an oblique spiderman reference or nods to the Netflix shows (beyond KP). Someone mistaking Ronin for DD or the Punisher, for example, or the annoyance at Spiderman leaving sticky web fluid all over town (maybe an app to track it like SF does for poop? :)

Edit: I also liked that they only require you to sit through the first 15 minutes or so of Black Widow to understand what you need for Hawkeye, not the entire thing of that trainwreck of a film (which I've not finished).

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Edit: I also liked that they only require you to sit through the first 15 minutes or so of Black Widow to understand what you need for Hawkeye, not the entire thing of that trainwreck of a film (which I've not finished).
You should finish it for laughs how it assassinates her character and the ridiculousness of the 3rd act. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Though the whole prison break out is nonsense too if you scrutinize the convenience of the events that start it.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It sucks this season is only six episodes, but it looks like they're going to tie up every loose story end at least.

ManaByte

Gold Member
WHEN I WAS A BOY
4n0d4qtx3y681.jpg

1up15qtx3y681.jpg

sol_bad

LOL
Oh man, if zkingpin is really dead, what a fucking waste. I really hope they bring him back somehow. Definitely not the same Kingpin as the Netflix version. Definitely not happy with how they handled him if we never seen him again.

Rhys Thomas shouldn't direct a series like this again. The final episode was lacking in any intensity during the action scenes. Bert and Bertie were far better IMO and this final episode would have been far better if they were in control.

On the positive side I really enjoyed the scene between Clint and Yelena, I hope they spend more time together in the future.

Ulysses 31

This ended up being nothing consequential. Even the "post credits" scene was a troll.
Not so surprising, you can't expect people to watch the D+ series to understand the movies so those will always be easily skippable in the grand scheme of MCU things.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Not so surprising, you can't expect people to watch the D+ series to understand the movies so those will always be easily skippable in the grand scheme of MCU things.

WandaVision > Doctor Strange 2
Falcon and the Winter Soldier > Captain America 4
I'm sure Hawkeyes storyline will lead somewhere, we just don't know where yet.

This ended up being nothing consequential. Even the "post credits" scene was a troll.

And what even is with comments like this? 80% of the MCU is "inconsequential", it's primarily all self contained stories. This new thinking of everything HAS TO BE CONNECTED is crazy.

Ulysses 31

WandaVision > Doctor Strange 2
Falcon and the Winter Soldier > Captain America 4
I'm sure Hawkeyes storyline will lead somewhere, we just don't know where yet.
They give nice background info going into those movies sure but they're not considered essential like Infinity War was to Endgame.

KAL2006

Banned
They ruined Kingpin. I understand they can't go all out as this is for a PG audience, you won't have him slamming a car door to see the victim bleed. However him relying on a bunch of novice tracksuit gangsters, and appearing on the ground like a like a goon just doesn't work well. I'd expect him to be more strategic have way more contacts instead of doing the grunt work.

Somewhere in my head cannon I'm hoping Netflix is still cannon, and Daredevil got snapped, while Kingpin rebuilded his empire during the snap years as well as getting hold of the super soldier serum. I'm hoping in Echo show they go over this backstory in a flash back scene and the fact that he relied on stupid tracksuit grunts and was on the ground is to test out his serum power which he recently just acquired, but who am I kidding this won't happen.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Color me surprised if Dr. Strange 2 is made with the expectation you watched WandaVision.
The plot of Doctor Strange 2:
Wanda has gone full evil trying to reach her kids (from Wandavision) in the multiverse using the Darkhold (also from WandaVision). She can only astral project herself into bodies in the multiverse but not travel physically to them. America Chavez can make portals across universes, so Wanda is sending demons to capture her so she can physically go to her imaginary kids from WandaVision.

Ulysses 31

The plot of Doctor Strange 2:
Wanda has gone full evil trying to reach her kids (from Wandavision) in the multiverse using the Darkhold (also from WandaVision). She can only astral project herself into bodies in the multiverse but not travel physically to them. America Chavez can make portals across universes, so Wanda is sending demons to capture her so she can physically go to her imaginary kids from WandaVision.
Is that confirmed or a rumor?
I also heard she
destroys an entire universe in her search.

Last edited:
Thoughts on the season. I'll put it behind spoilers I guess but everything I post here is from Hawkeye.

Positives:
+ Florence Pugh continues to be great. She is such an upgrade from ScarJo.
+ I like the tone/atmosphere a lot.
+ Renner and Steinfeld were both .... pretty good.

Negatives:
- OMG if Kingpin is dead, what a waste. D'Onofrio was maybe a top 5 live-action Marvel villain, imo, and they brought him back for a few mediocre-at-best scenes and then they dumped him.
- The season felt very uneven to me. Like the first 4 or 5 episodes were moving along very leisurely, and all of a sudden we're explaining everything in a rush and then some fights to wrap it up. I understand that those Netflix series were padded (for tax reasons) but 6 episodes isn't enough. At least not the way they're pacing them.
- Those larping characters can drop dead. Stupid and a waste of time.

Overall I think this is my favorite of the D+ Marvel series, but that's a really low bar.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Thoughts on the season. I'll put it behind spoilers I guess but everything I post here is from Hawkeye.

Positives:
+ Florence Pugh continues to be great. She is such an upgrade from ScarJo.
+ I like the tone/atmosphere a lot.
+ Renner and Steinfeld were both .... pretty good.

Negatives:
- OMG if Kingpin is dead, what a waste. D'Onofrio was maybe a top 5 live-action Marvel villain, imo, and they brought him back for a few mediocre-at-best scenes and then they dumped him.
- The season felt very uneven to me. Like the first 4 or 5 episodes were moving along very leisurely, and all of a sudden we're explaining everything in a rush and then some fights to wrap it up. I understand that those Netflix series were padded (for tax reasons) but 6 episodes isn't enough. At least not the way they're pacing them.
- Those larping characters can drop dead. Stupid and a waste of time.

Overall I think this is my favorite of the D+ Marvel series, but that's a really low bar.
People survive those types of wounds all the time.

Enjay

Banned
True. I guess I've been made to expect those kind of things by the properties.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Kingpin isn't dead. They showed Kazi dying (and others throughout the show) but didn't show Kingpin dying... It makes narrative sense that Maya threw away her shot and let Fisk live.
If you don’t see the corpse. He isn’t dead.

I‘ve missed his dialog that sound like he’s pinching a massive log while talking.

GeorgPrime

Banned
If you don’t see the corpse. He isn’t dead.

I‘ve missed his dialog that sound like he’s pinching a massive log while talking.

He took several arrows of Kate like nothing and some explosions. We already know that one bullet wont kill him

Last edited:

YCoCg

Ehhh, they made Kate feel OP and not in the good way, we're supposed to accept she can hold her own against a full trained Black Widow AND take down Wilson Fisk, a character Daredevil and The Punisher struggled against.

I get it she's gifted and all but it that still felt against odds. Also her mother has a teleporting car?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Ehhh, they made Kate feel OP and not in the good way, we're supposed to accept she can hold her own against a full trained Black Widow AND take down Wilson Fisk, a character Daredevil and The Punisher struggled against.

I get it she's gifted and all but it that still felt against odds. Also her mother has a teleporting car?
So many people skipped the first episode where they showed her training her ENTIRE LIFE.

Pagusas

Elden Member
so that was the worst produced/directed/worst acted episode of all Marvel shows to date. All the good things Hawkeye had going for it as it tried to get better from its poor first episode were lost in that horrible POS finale. sooo incredibly bad. even worst if you’ve seen Spider-man and were hoping for even a small cameo based on the end of the film.

Kingpins acting was ridiculously bad. was the guy this bad in daredevel? is the only reason people wanted this actor in the show was because he looked like kingpin?

Yelena’s story in this was completely pointless, lacked any sort of real threat, and made it feel like she’s been nerfed regarding skills. the whole drama of her sister’s death never felt like it was anything of substance.

the endless hoard of goons was ridiculously stupid and made the climactic battle feel like a slapstick joke. the show lost all its grit and down to earth presence it had been building.

and that horrible musical… my god, that’s easily the worst thing Marvel has ever made. nails on a chalk board. all I can think is it has to be an intentional joke to poke fun at fans for sticking around for the credits. I had to mute it thanks to my wife giving me the look of death.

1/10 rating for this episode. 6/10 for Hawkeye as a show. the best moment of the show was Hawkeye deaf, trying to talk to his son on the phone. humanizing, grounded, real feeling.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Yelena’s story in this was completely pointless, lacked any sort of real threat, and made it feel like she’s been nerfed regarding skills. the whole drama of her sister’s death never felt like it was anything of substance.
Also reflects a bit negatively on the Avengers that they never revealed to the world the sacrifice Natasha made to undo the snap.

Damn....this show was seriously almost perfect until this last episode. They really dropped the ball here huh...
It felt like a caricature in almost every way...almost like a cartoon at parts.

Yelena deserved better than what they used her here...never felt that these characters were in any danger in any part of this episode.

Also i couldn't believe how much they are forcing a bond between

Kate and Yelena. Like...what was that about? And i didn't get the watch thing...what was it about? It's related to his wife but...in what way?

Also...can't believe the Black Widow cliffhanger was sorted out like this...a few slaps and that's it. The whistle was a nice touch for sure.

One last thing:

So Yelena was hired by Kate's mom...where does Valentina fit into all this? and how is that related with her hiring the fake Captain America on that show?What is her job exactly? lmao

Ulysses 31

Kate and Yelena. Like...what was that about? And i didn't get the watch thing...what was it about? It's related to his wife but...in what way?

Also...can't believe the Black Widow cliffhanger was sorted out like this...a few slaps and that's it. The whistle was a nice touch for sure.
You bought into that cliffhanger that
the Avengers kept Natasha's sacrifice a secret from the world?
:goog_unsure:

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
One last thing:

So Yelena was hired by Kate's mom...where does Valentina fit into all this? and how is that related with her hiring the fake Captain America on that show?What is her job exactly? lmao
I think she was just a broker trying to connect an assasin to a job, but also intentionally trying to cause trouble and divide people. I think she's meant to be some sort of Chaos agent.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I liked it, fun send off, plenty of closure.

- The tone of the entire ending sequence, including the battle with the Bro Horde, was inline with the comic run that inspired the show. I get why people didn't like it and would have preferred a more grounded take, but I didn't mind it at all
- The scene with Maya and Kingpin is right out of an old comic
- I think it would have been nice if Yelena had shown up at the Barton farm in the after credits - as a way to show that she can move on. Ideally she would be with her "parents" but such cameos take coordination and all
- Agent 19 of Shield. A friend actually called this way back when she first appeared in whatever Avengers movie that was
- The burning of the Ronin costume followed by the lingering shot of the target Clint was using to teach his daughter archery when the Snap happened was a nice visual nod to how all of the pain and suffering from those days are gone now

Last edited:
Top Bottom