• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO (Bill Simmons) and WWE teaming together for Andre the Giant Documentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
After years of rumors, André the Giant is finally getting his documentary close-up.

On Monday HBO announced it has commissioned a film on the legendary professional wrestler, which will be co-produced by HBO Sports, the WWE and the Bill Simmons Media Group. It’s the first partnership between HBO and the WWE on a project. The doc also represents the first HBO project for Simmons since his show, Any Given Wednesday, was canceled in November. There is no release date for the film at this time.

HBO said that Emmy Award-winning director and producer Jason Hehir will direct. The documentary will include interviews with WWE athletes, sports and entertainment executives, athletes, media, family, friends and associates.

In a statement, Simmons said, “Going back to 2007 and 2008 when I was creating and developing 30 for 30 for ESPN, André’s story rode the top of every single sports documentary wish list I ever made. We always hear about unicorns these days—André was the ultimate unicorn. He’s a true legend. Everyone who ever crossed paths with him has an André story—and usually four or five.”
http://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/02/13/andre-giant-bill-simmons-hbo-documentary

This what Simmons should have been doing in the first place. His biggest achievement, content wise, was 30 for 30. He put together a lot of pieces and that first run of docs was incredible.

Sanjuro

Looking forward to it. Out of all the sports athletes or performers I've ever met in person, he was the coolest in retrospect.

jbug617

Banned
Just checked to see what else the director worked on

30 for 30:

85 Bears
Down in the Valley (KJ and Sacramento saving the Kings)
Ernie and Kosar
The Fab Five

LionPride

Banned
Just checked to see what else the director worked on

30 for 30:

85 Bears
Down in the Valley (KJ and Sacramento saving the Kings)
Ernie and Kosar
The Fab Five

One of the best honestly, wish Webber wasn't such a tool and wish Jalen would stop airing they dirty laundry fucking constantly

antonz

Looking forward to it. Out of all the sports athletes or performers I've ever met in person, he was the coolest in retrospect.

Agreed I have a Picture with him from when I was a kid put away in some album. He was absolutely larger than life in pretty much everyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom