• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO to show Mormon Temple Ceremony in upcoming episode of Big Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett2

LDS-TEMPLE.jpg

SALT LAKE CITY — HBO on Tuesday defended its plans to depict a sacred Mormon temple ceremony in an upcoming episode of "Big Love."

The drama about a Utah polygamous family will show an endowment ceremony Sunday.

HBO said it did not intend to be disrespectful of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and apologized.

"Obviously, it was not our intention to do anything disrespectful to the church, but to those who may be offended, we offer our sincere apology," the premium cable channel said in a statement issued Tuesday.

But the ceremony is an important part of the "Big Love" story line, HBO said.

In the scene, actress Jeanne Tripplehorn's character, Barb, goes through the endowment ceremony as she faces losing her membership in the Mormon church.

On Monday, Mormon church leaders criticized HBO for its decision to include the ceremony and said airing the material shows the insensitivity of the network's writers, producers and executives.

"Certainly church members are offended when their most sacred practices are misrepresented or presented without context or understanding," the church statement said.
Story continues below

Only church members in good standing can enter temples to perform or witness sacred ceremonies. The ceremonies are centered on religious teachings and re-enactments of Bible stories to help Mormons prepare an eternal place for themselves _ and others by proxy _ in heaven.

Members take a vow not to discuss the rituals outside temple walls, although details of the ceremonies are widely available on the Internet.

The dramatization of the ceremony was vetted for accuracy by an adviser familiar with temple ceremonies who was on set during filming, said series creators and executives producers Mark V. Olsen and Will Scheffer.

"In approaching the dramatization of the endowment ceremony, we knew we had a responsibility to be completely accurate and to show the ceremony in the proper context and with respect," Olsen and Scheffer said in a separate statement issued through HBO. "We therefore took great pains to depict the ceremony with the dignity and reverence it is due."

The church declined an interview request by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

News of the episode has sparked an online campaign by individual Latter-day Saints, who are calling for a boycott of "Big Love" and cancellation of subscriptions to HBO, AOL and other Time Warner Inc.-owned entities.

The church itself has not called for a boycott and said in its statement that doing so would just fuel controversy and interest in the program.

Church leaders also said members of the rapidly growing faith should not feel defensive about HBO's characterization of Mormons.

"There is no evidence that extreme misrepresentations in the media that appeal only to a narrow audience have any long term negative effect on the church," they said in the statement.

"Big Love" is in its third season on HBO and a fourth is in the works. The program tells the story of Bill Hendrickson, a fundamentalist (played by Bill Paxton) who runs a chain of hardware stores and lives with three wives (Tripplehorn, Chloe Sevigny and Ginnifer Goodwin) in a Salt Lake City suburb.

Like Utah's real-life fundamentalists, the Hendricksons' beliefs are tied to the early teachings of Mormon church founder Joseph Smith, who said polygamy was an essential doctrine for exaltation in the afterlife. The church ultimately abandoned the practice in 1890 as a condition of Utah's statehood.

When "Big Love" first aired, negotiations between the church and HBO resulted in a one-time disclaimer included in the show's credits that distinguished the modern church's position on polygamy from the beliefs of the fictional characters in the series.

This season, however, the show's polygamy-focused stories have included more mainstream Mormon references. The program references events from Mormon history and the Hendricksons take a family vacation to upstate New York for the Hill Cumorah Pageant, a reenactment of stories from the Book of Mormon.

"Despite earlier assurances from HBO, it once again blurs the distinction between The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the show's fictional non-Mormon characters and their practices," the church statement said.

HBO contends that throughout its three-year run writers and producers of "Big Love" have continued to make a clear "distinction between the LDS church and those extreme fringe groups who practice polygamy."

Being featured in a popular HBO series is in many ways a plus for the 178-year-old church, said Daniel Stout, a professor of journalism and media studies at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

"It says the Mormon church has come of age, it's a major American religion," said Stout, who studies and writes about the intersection of religion and popular culture.

But the attention may also raise fears among church leaders that Mormons will become a target for ridicule or persecution because the details of the sacred temple ceremony will seem strange to non-Mormons. However, studies have shown that predictions about the effects of media depictions aren't always accurate, Stout said.

"There are many themes and issues dealt with by `Big Love,'" he said. "It's a story of family, of relationships and the dynamics of polygamy. It's entertainment. I'm not sure people will be watching it like a documentary."

Link

ronito

this is a big deal for the Mormon church. Many, MANY members have mixed feelings about the endowments (though few actually give those feelings voice) so to show it out in public is a big deal as it will undoubtedly freak some people out.

I remember when "Big Love" started the church leadership had a letter read to every meeting house that essentially said that the church does not condone the show and that we're not supposed to talk about it. I remember that vividly because I made trouble keeping bringing it up.

Also this whole thing from the church that Big Love isn't accurate. I'll give you the polygamy stuff isn't accurate of the modern church but I've found nearly every other aspect of it eerily accurate and so do the Mormons that I know that watch the show. The got the language, the culture, the books, I mean they've really done a better job of capturing the mormon culture, much more than even LDS made shows and movies.

Barrett2

ronito said:
this is a big deal for the Mormon church. Many, MANY members have mixed feelings about the endowments (though few actually give those feelings voice) so to show it out in public is a big deal as it will undoubtedly freak some people out.

I already received two separate forwarded emails regarding the episode from LDS siblings. Both of them had the same cognitive dissonance; the show is bad because it will show the endowment, which will freak people out with its bizareness.

I also find a little irony in the fact that the LDS Church doesn't ask its members to abstain from learning about or seeing visual depictions of other religious sacraments. IIRC, numerous books that the Church sells in its bookstores will vividly describe other religious rites, etc. Its a bit disingenuous to demand secrecy with your own rites when you sell books that describe and critique other religious rites.

Fusebox

Banned
"There is no evidence that extreme misrepresentations in the media that appeal only to a narrow audience have any long term negative effect on the church,"

Is Big Love an extreme representation of Mormonism? Apart from the polygamy bit they all seem pretty moderate to me. And is the HBO audience really narrow? I thought it was a giant pay TV station.

Barrett2

Fusebox said:
Is Big Love an extreme representation of Mormonism? Apart from the polygamy bit they all seem pretty moderate to me. And is the HBO audience really narrow? I thought it was a giant pay TV station.

The LDS Church has a well-developed cultural mechanism which has convinced its members that anything not officially sanctioned is basically an 'extreme misrepresentation.'

lol. They are offended.

I'm offended that church often meddles in gay rights issues like in California. So we can all be offended about something I guess.

Ri'Orius

Is this show available on Hulu or Netflix or something? Hadn't heard of it before, but it sounds fascinating...

Ri'Orius said:
Is this show available on Hulu or Netflix or something? Hadn't heard of it before, but it sounds fascinating...

Brah, you are missing out on one of the best teevee shows to come along in quite awhile. Hit it up on Netflix. You won't be disappointed.

Dead Man

Ri'Orius said:
It's worth buying, it's a great show. I didn't expect to enjoy it, but I just got sucked in by the characters.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
So what happens during an endowment ceremony?

Do they strip her naked and make her sing "I'm a little teacup" or something?

Beat her will sticks?

Make her give her b/f a blowjob on film?

WHAT HAPPENS?!

Barrett2

daw840 said:
What exactly is an "endowment" anyway?

Religious ceremony Mormons do when they either reach adulthood or marriage that purports to teach them the most significant parts of the LDS theodicy. The ceremony is also where Mormons begin wearing the special "garment" underwear.

Ri'Orius

idahoblue said:
It's worth buying, it's a great show. I didn't expect to enjoy it, but I just got sucked in by the characters.

Oh wow; should've done a wiki search first. I had somehow imagined it was still in its first season. Now I feel really outta the loop on this.

DVD's ahoy.

GhaleonEB

Prepare to get creeped out.

I almost bolted from the room when I got my endowments. It remains one of the most uncomfortable, awkward experiences of my life. I only did it twice - the first time, and then many years later with my wife's family. I haven't been back to the temple since.

Most religious ceremonies are kind of creepy to me, but this was in a whole other level. The chanting, the gestures, the tokens, the touching. AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Barrett2

GhaleonEB said:
Prepare to get creeped out.

I almost bolted from the room when I got my endowments. It remains one of the most uncomfortable, awkward experiences of my life. I only did it twice - the first time, and then many years later with my wife's family. I haven't been back to the temple since.

Most religious ceremonies are kind of creepy to me, but this was in a whole other level. The chanting, the gestures, the tokens, the touching. AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

The LDS Church backed themselves into a corner with the Endowment. Its basically a rip-off of the 19th Century Masonic high-level ceremony, with some extra stuff included. Early LDS leaders said crazy stuff about Joseph Smith learning from god that the Masons "had corrupted" and "altered" the true temple ceremony, etc. I think the Church got to a point where it couldn't back away from the Endowment or it would lose credibility with members, so now they just shroud it with as much secrecy as possible.

The real genius of the LDS Church was when they came up with the idea that you had to pay tithing to go to the Temple. Then a few decades later to increase revenue, they started telling members you had to go numerous times during your life to ensure going to heaven. That basically guaranteed 100% tithing compliance by active members, because without regular temple attendance you could still go to hell. Its partly why the church is so damn rich nowadays.

GhaleonEB

daw840 said:
What exactly is an "endowment" anyway?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endowment_(Latter_Day_Saints)

Man. Just reading the phrase "washing and annointing" gave me the heebie-jeebies.
lawblob said:
The LDS Church backed themselves into a corner with the Endowment. Its basically a rip-off of the 19th Century Masonic high-level ceremony, with some extra stuff included. Early LDS leaders said crazy stuff about Joseph Smith learning from god that the Masons "had corrupted" and "altered" the true temple ceremony, etc. I think the Church got to a point where it couldn't back away from the Endowment or it would lose credibility with members, so now they just shroud it with as much secrecy as possible.

It was only a few decades ago you had to pay tithing to go to the temple. I think the idea is that by basically forcing a cover charge, they create a high enough barrier to entry that most people never spill the beans about it.
I thought it was still the case that you had to be a full tithe payer to get a temple recommend.

RubxQub

Any of you folks in the know going to tell us what this ceremony is all about or do I actually have to watch this show to see it?

Come on now!

I'll tell you all about what goes down in the confessional at Roman Catholic establishments!

Barrett2

GhaleonEB said:
I thought it was still the case that you had to be a full tithe payer to get a temple recommend.

I meant the opposite, up until a few decades ago you didn't have to pay tithing and could still go once as a teenager for your initial visit. By instituting the policy that you had to go regularly throughout your life, it basically guaranteed everyone would pay tithing.

RubxQub

lawblob said:
kid touching?
Ha! You'll never know! You tell me and I'll tell you!

GhaleonEB

lawblob said:
I meant the opposite, up until a few decades ago you didn't have to pay tithing and could still go once as a teenager for your initial visit. By instituting the policy that you had to go regularly throughout your life, it basically guaranteed everyone would pay tithing.
Ah, that makes sense. That epiphany - tithing is a perpetual series of toll booths on the way to heaven - was one of the reasons I stopped paying it, which led to my ditching the church all together. But I'll get off that soapbox for this particular thread.

Can't wait for the GAF reaction - and reaction in general - to this episode.

RubxQub said:
Ha! You'll never know! You tell me and I'll tell you!
I'll show rather than tell. I almost forgot about the goofy clothing (or the "funny bakers' hat" as a brother of mine put it). Quick google:

m1-sign.jpg

RubxQub

So there's nothing particularly disturbing about the ceremony? From what I'm reading it's just some chanting and some funny underwear...

I was hoping for like ritual sacrifices and shit.

Catholics are doing it right, man. Like 90% of them have a dead guy hanging on the wall with a spear wound in his side as a reminder that you better shape the fuck up.

Barrett2

RubxQub said:
So there's nothing particularly disturbing about the ceremony? From what I'm reading it's just some chanting and some funny underwear...

I was hoping for like ritual sacrifices and shit.

Catholics are doing it right, man. Like 90% of them have a dead guy hanging on the wall with a spear wound in his side as a reminder that you better shape the fuck up.

There have been small changes to make it less weird over the years. But its nothing too bizarre. Mostly its just apparent that it is a very old, antiquated ritual. Basically its something that people did and took seriously in the 17 & 1800s, but have since discarded. Unfortunately for Mormons, when you claim that ritual is commanded by God, you're sort of stuck with it. :lol

seat

Hopefully this will be the kind of controversy that will draw more viewers to the show, as it should! I've been lukewarm on Big Love in past seasons, but the current season has been quite entertaining and thought-provoking.

Atrus

Gold Member
I'm guessing that from the masonic background, some of statements about costumes, and unease about the ceremony that it involves some sort of genital touching, secret handshakes, funny hats/dress (per pictures), anointing/dunking you in water (per Jesus), a review of the orders history, and secret codewords that ingratiate you into the group.

Somehow I doubt Mormons include ritual bloodletting in their practices, so I'd exempt them from that.

Jeff-DSA

Wow, lots of misinformation from people that know better. Good on you guys, way to go!

This right here is why GAF is full of some of the most hypocritical and vile people you'll ever come across. You say *one* tiny thing about a Jew or a Muslim's faith and bam, instant ban. However, when it comes to Christianity, HAVE AT IT!

I don't care if you don't agree, but the level of disrespect and lack of common decency that you are willing to show is ridiculous.

The church just said that they are going to turn a blind eye to the whole thing after they released their "we're disappointed in HBO" statement. Members aren't being asked to be hush hush or any of that. I go to church every week and I've NEVER ONCE heard a single whisper about Big Love over the pulpit. Bishops didn't read letters and people weren't harassed for talking about the show. Ronito does a good job of playing the reluctant Mormon for all your praises, I guess that's fine if that's what he wants to do. However, he's either lying to himself or to all of you half the time he speaks out.

So yeah, it's disrespectful on HBO's part, but church members are hardly up in arms about it, despite what you all want to believe.

Fusebox

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
This right here is why GAF is full of some of the most hypocritical and vile people you'll ever come across.

Was it the touching kids joke?

And how is HBO being disrespectful, do you really think your religion needs its ceremonies kept secret?

Costanza

Banned
Ri'Orius said:
Netflix will have the DVDs but they won't stream it (because it's an HBO show). Big Love is the best drama on TV so you should definitely find a way to catch up on it.

Jeff-DSA

lawblob said:
Please identify a single factually untrue thing said in this thread.

Your use of the word require is a good starting point. On top of that, you fully know that you aren't ever told you're going to hell if you don't regularly go to the temple.

I'm done with this, because you guys have your own twisted view on things and the majority of it is born out of bitterness and disrespect. There's no winning with GAF, it's with the hive mind or be considered wrong. I don't really care, so whatever. I just figured some of you wouldn't flat out invent stuff for the sole sake of mockery, but it seems that's not the case.

And how is HBO being disrespectful, do you really think your religion needs its ceremonies kept secret?

The polygamists depicted in the show ARE NOT Mormons. You can't go to the temple if you're practicing polygamy. For them to show it is a deliberate move on HBO's part to put polygamy back in Mormonism.

Fusebox

Banned
Views often get twisted when people try to discuss things that are deliberately shrouded in secrecy.

Jeff-DSA said:
The polygamists depicted in the show ARE NOT Mormons. You can't go to the temple if you're practicing polygamy. For them to show it is a deliberate move on HBO's part to put polygamy back in Mormonism.

So it isn't the fact they're revealing secret ceremonies, it's the fact that the polygamists are being shown as accepted into the church on TV?

Well then, with regards to the plot-line, how certain are you that the church in the TV show is aware of the families polygamy?

Barrett2

Jeff-DSA said:
Your use of the word require is a good starting point. On top of that, you fully know that you aren't ever told you're going to hell if you don't regularly go to the temple.

I don't really care, so whatever. I just figured some of you wouldn't flat out invent stuff for the sole sake of mockery, but it seems that's not the case.

No offense, dude, but its not my fault you are ignorant about LDS Church history. I have read over 25,000 pages of LDS and Christian history. Almost everything I know about the Church is actually from books I bought at Deseret Books. SHOCKING!

The real truth is that LDS people like you have decided, possibly subconsciously, that you have no obligation to ever learn anything substantive about Church history. You read the Book of Mormon a few times and you read a 90 page pamphlet bio on Joseph Smith and you think you are a scholar. I hate to break it to you, but the reason most people quit going to church after ACUALLY studying the history is because you have to confront all of the crazy shit in church history. You can lash out all you want, but at the end of the day I know FAR more about LDS church history than you do. This is the amazing thing about LDS people. You claim to devote your life to something, but you aren't even willing to do 7th grade level research or study to actually investigate the thing you claim to devote your life to.

Jeff-DSA said:
you fully know that you aren't ever told you're going to hell if you don't regularly go to the temple.
Dude, this is like 4th grade logic. In LDS theology, in order to go to the highest level of the celestial kingdom, you have to be married in the Temple and remain a fully active LDS member. To be a "fully active" LDS member, you are required to attend the Temple as regularly as is practical for your family. Only a disingenuous jackass would claim you could intentionally avoid going to the temple your entire life after your marriage ceremony, and the church leadership would say you are fully living the commandments.

Big-E

Jeff-DSA said:

In the show, they don't broadcast their polygamy to anyone. Bill Paxton and his family are like the only ones out of their compound. It is made brutally clear that they are not the everyday mormons.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Jeff-DSA said:
Wow, lots of misinformation from people that know better. Good on you guys, way to go!

This right here is why GAF is full of some of the most hypocritical and vile people you'll ever come across. You say *one* tiny thing about a Jew or a Muslim's faith and bam, instant ban. However, when it comes to Christianity, HAVE AT IT!

I don't care if you don't agree, but the level of disrespect and lack of common decency that you are willing to show is ridiculous.

The church just said that they are going to turn a blind eye to the whole thing after they released their "we're disappointed in HBO" statement. Members aren't being asked to be hush hush or any of that. I go to church every week and I've NEVER ONCE heard a single whisper about Big Love over the pulpit. Bishops didn't read letters and people weren't harassed for talking about the show. Ronito does a good job of playing the reluctant Mormon for all your praises, I guess that's fine if that's what he wants to do. However, he's either lying to himself or to all of you half the time he speaks out.

So yeah, it's disrespectful on HBO's part, but church members are hardly up in arms about it, despite what you all want to believe.

So, is that whole "ignoring the obvious truth" thing you pulled off so wonderfully part of the teaching, or is it just the normal stick your head in the ground and pretend it ain't true religious reaction? This forum has multiple threads about the Isreal/Palestine conflict in which the pro-Palestine side is represented almost as much by anti-Semites as people with any actual political motivation for their beliefs. And those people don't get banned. EVERY thread about any Muslim country's practices or a weird news story devolves into "Islam is effed up" and I think I've seen more people banned for defending than for making statements against it.

HBO is not being disrespectful. They don't believe in your religion, so they are under no obligation to abide by its beliefs. Don't want your rituals depicted on TV? Too damned bad, deal with it. Don't watch it, encourage others not to, point out valid criticisms with the show. But if your only option is to whine about how everybody is persecuting you, do yourself and your religion a favor and stop digging the hole deeper.

Also, to address one of your valid concerns over the show: The episode in question deals with the church finding out of the character's polygamy and the subsequent reactions. I don't know how accurate this depiction is, though. The only way to let people know if it isn't true is to stop hiding your weirdest practices and shrouding them in a mystery that is bound to have some inconsistencies. If you continue to keep your most absurd practices hidden behind closed doors, then don't get your magic panties in a bunch when somebody gets it wrong.

By the way, I just love this statement from the church about this episode:

Last week some Church members began e-mail chains calling for cancellations of subscriptions to AOL, which, like HBO, is owned by Time Warner. Certainly such a boycott by hundreds of thousands of computer-savvy Latter-day Saints could have an economic impact on the company. Individual Latter-day Saints have the right to take such actions if they choose.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as an institution does not call for boycotts. Such a step would simply generate the kind of controversy that the media loves and in the end would increase audiences for the series.

Yeah, they clearly don't call for boycotts. They just say that you're free to do whatever you want and howdy doo look at that if you all boycott, maybe it'll help. But we don't endorse it, no, of course not.

Jeff-DSA

lawblob said:
No offense, dude, but its not my fault you are ignorant about LDS Church history. I have read over 25,000 pages of LDS and Christian history. Almost everything I know about the Church is actually from books I bought at Deseret Books. SHOCKING!

The real truth is that LDS people like you have decided, possibly subconsciously, that you have no obligation to ever learn anything substantive about Church history. You read the Book of Mormon a few times and you read a 90 page pamphlet bio on Joseph Smith and you think you are a scholar. I hate to break it to you, but the reason most people quit going to church after ACUALLY studying the history is because you have to confront all of the crazy shit in church history. You can lash out all you want, but at the end of the day I know FAR more about LDS church history than you do. This is the amazing thing about LDS people. You claim to devote your life to something, but you aren't even willing to do 7th grade level research or study to actually investigate the thing you claim to devote your life to.

Dude, this is like 4th grade logic. In LDS theology, in order to go to the highest level of the celestial kingdom, you have to be married in the Temple and remain a fully active LDS member. To be a "fully active" LDS member, you are required to attend the Temple as regularly as is practical for your family. Only a disingenuous jackass would claim you could intentionally avoid going to the temple your entire life after your marriage ceremony, and the church leadership would say you are fully living the commandments.

You don't know what I've read and what I haven't. I've read countless historical accounts of the church, about Joseph Smith, and plenty of other church leaders. Guess what? They don't bother me. I understand that early church members, just like the present ones, were product of their times and they were IMPERFECT human beings. Not a big deal to me. Don't assume you know what I've studied up on and what I haven't. That's not fair, and it's not a very quick way to solidify any argument of your own.

Ok, now I'm fully done with this thread. Carry on and ridicule all you like, it's what a lot of you are best at (be it about religious or secular matters).

ronito

Jeff-DSA said:
Really? So you never had this read over the pulpit?
6 March 2006 Over the past few weeks, Church Public Affairs has received numerous calls from newspaper, magazine and TV entertainment writers about a new television series called Big Love. In the series, set in a modern suburb of Salt Lake City, the main character keeps up a deceptive life in a fringe world of polygamy with his three wives and households. Journalists want to know what the Church thinks of the program, the subject matter and HBO’s decision to promote it.

In responding, Church spokesmen have made three major points:

1. Concern for abuse victims
The Church has long been concerned about the illegal practice of polygamy in some communities, and in particular about persistent reports of emotional and physical child and wife abuse emanating from them. It will be regrettable if this program, by making polygamy the subject of entertainment, minimizes the seriousness of that problem and adds to the suffering of abuse victims.

2. Confusion over the continued practice of polygamy
The central characters of Big Love are not “Mormons,” or, more properly termed, Latter-day Saints. HBO has said the script makes it clear that members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints don’t practice polygamy. Still, placing the series in Salt Lake City, the international headquarters of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is enough to blur the line between the modern Church and the program’s subject matter and to reinforce old and long-outdated stereotypes.

Polygamy was officially discontinued by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1890. Any Church member adopting the practice today is excommunicated. Groups that continue the practice in Utah and elsewhere have no association whatsoever with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Most of their practitioners have never been among its members.

Unfortunately, this distinction is often lost on members of the public and even on some senior journalists. When ABC network’s Prime Time recently aired a program focused on the secretive polygamous community of Colorado City, the reporter repeatedly referred to members of the community as “Mormon polygamists.” In response, the Church points to the Associated Press style guide for journalists which states: "The term Mormon is not properly applied to the other ... churches that resulted from the split after (Joseph) Smith's death." In other words, polygamous communities should never be referred to as "Mormon" polygamists or “Mormon” fundamentalists.

3. Concern over the moral standards of television entertainment
Despite its popularity with some, much of today’s television entertainment shows an unhealthy preoccupation with sex, coarse humor and foul language. Big Love, like so much other television programming, is essentially lazy and indulgent entertainment that does nothing for our society and will never nourish great minds. Parents who are casual about their viewing habits ought not to be surprised if teaching moral choices and civic values to their children becomes harder as a result.

For that reason and others, Church leaders have consistently cautioned against such entertainment, joining with other religious, education and government leaders in inviting individuals and families to follow a higher road of decency, self-discipline and integrity.
I'll give you the "Don't talk about it" probably came from the Stake President. But don't go calling me a liar. You weren't there. How do you know?

You know just because your Mormon doesn't mean you have go lock step with everything they say. God has more use of goats than sheep.

ronito

Jeff-DSA said:
You don't know what I've read and what I haven't. I've read countless historical accounts of the church, about Joseph Smith, and plenty of other church leaders. Guess what? They don't bother me. I understand that early church members, just like the present ones, were product of their times and they were IMPERFECT human beings. Not a big deal to me. Don't assume you know what I've studied up on and what I haven't. That's not fair, and it's not a very quick way to solidify any argument of your own.

Ok, now I'm fully done with this thread. Carry on and ridicule all you like, it's what a lot of you are best at (be it about religious or secular matters).
So wait, you come in here call me a liar and everyone else hypocrites. Someone calls you on something then you say "You don't know what I've read?!" Then say that you're being ridiculed and hint that you're being unjustly judged and leave? Now, now, who's being the hypocrite?

chew119.gif

Big-E

Jeff-DSA said:

Stop with the persecution complex, no one is really ridiculing you.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
The Mormon church is the only major religious sect that I'm very skeptical of. I just don't get some of it. That and Scientology. I wish someone would make a Scientology show.

Big-E

Weapxn said:
The Mormon church is the only major religious sect that I'm very skeptical of. I just don't get some of it. That and Scientology. I wish someone would make a Scientology show.

Scientology isn't major, at least I hope it isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom