• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HD TV question - 32 inch HDTV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zapages

Hey guys,

My father and I looking for an HDTV.... We currently own a good 20 inch tube tv...

How's this: http://www.buy.com/prod/panasonic-t...000-1-contrast-ratio/q/loc/111/210930900.html

Is this a good tv to buy???

Mostly going to be used for:

A) Watching tv across the room connected as 2nd monitor through a S-video(This is most important)
B) Playing PS3: Mostly Street Fighter IV, Prince of Persia, Assassin's Creed, etc... (2nd most important as it look nice for my parents to watch online tv shows, will need to get HDMI cable for it though)

Panasonic TC-L32C12 32" Widescreen 720p LCD HDTV - 10000:1 Contrast Ratio - 8ms Response Time

Features
720p Resolution
Contrast Ratio: 10,000:1 Dynamic
Intelligent Scene Controller
VIERA Image Viewer
VIERA Link
PC Input
2 HDMI Inputs

Tech Specs
Screen Size: 32" Class (31.5" diagonal)
Display Resolution: 720p
Contrast Ratio: Up to 10,000:1
Response Time: 8 msec
Viewing Angle: 178
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Native Resolution (Number of Pixels): 1,049,088 (1,366 x 768)
Aspect Control: 480i/p: Full, Just, 4:3, Zoom; 1080i/p: Full, H-Fill, Just, 4:3, Zoom
Panel: IPS (WXGA)
Screen Coating (Filter): Fine Black Panel
Progressive Scan: Yes
x.v.Color: No
Motion Adaptive 3D Y/C Digital Comb Filter: No
3D Color Management: Yes (Vivid Mode)
Sub Pixel Control: Yes
Intelligent Scene Controller: Yes
Motion Focus Technology: No
Speakers: Full-range x 2 (L, R)
Number of Speakers: 2
Audio Output: 20 W (10% THD) (8 ohms, 80 Hz - 17 kHz)
Surround Sound: Yes
Integrated ATSC Tuner: Yes
SD Memory Card Slot (SDHC Compatible): Y (JPEG playback)
HDMI Input: 2
Analog Audio Input (for HDMI): Yes
Composite Video Input: 2 (1 side)
S-Video Input: 1 (side)
Audio Input (for Video): 2 (1 side)
PC Input: 1
Component Video Inputs (Y, PB, PR): 1
Audio Input (for Component Video): 1
Composite Video Output: No
Analog Audio Output: No
Digital Audio Output: 1 (2 ch at HDMI)
Headphone Jack: No
VIERA Link: Yes
VIERA Tools: Yes
Game Mode: No
Menu Languages: English/Spanish/French
V-Chip Program Lockout: Yes
Built-In Closed Caption Decoder: Yes
Timers: Yes
Video Input Label: Yes
Video Picture Memory: Yes
Power Supply: AC 110 - 127 V, 60 Hz
Rated Power Consumption: 120 W
Standby Power Consumption: 0.2 W
On Mode Average Power Consumption: 86 W
Energy Star: Yes
Receiving System: ATSC/QAM/NTSC
Swivel Angle: No
Tilt Angle: No
VESA Compatible: Yes
Optional Wall-mounting Bracket: TY-WK32LR2W
Dimensions (H x W x D) with Stand: 21.7" x 31.5" x 8.6"
Dimensions (H x W x D) without Stand: 20.2" x 31.5" x 3.7"
Weight (lbs.) w/Stand: 28.9 lbs
Carton Dimensions: 25.8" x 41.1" x 9.0"
HDTV Display Capability (1080p, 1080i, 720p): Y (1080i, 720p)
EDTV Display Capability (480p): Yes
Gross Weight [lbs (kg)]: 39.7 lbs. (18.0 kg)
120 Hz Motion Picture Pro 3: No
Universal Dock for iPod: No

EDIT: I meant the computer is across the room and I have the wires with audio/video running across the room to the tv/splitter...

Our tv is about 10 feet across the room... So its pretty close... Sorry for not clarifying everything up.

Zapages

I meant the computer is across the room and I have the wires with audio/video running across the room to the tv/splitter...

Our tv is about 10 feet across the room... So its pretty close... Sorry for not clarifying everything up.

birdman

polyh3dron said:
Go 52". You'll be kicking yourself if you don't. Especially for watching across the room.

You just hold on there one minute

OP, how far away do you sit from the TV on your couch/chair/whatever?

Edit: Answered while submitting. You should be good with a 32" then.

Darklord

Banned
Looks fine and 32" is a nice size. If you're use to a 20" tube telly, a 32" HDTV will be amazing(and at a good price). Expect a lot of "OMG DON'T GO UNDER $8000 100" 1080P HDMI 7.1 ANY LESS SUX" in this thread though.

Brofist

I would still go a model higher than that. If you can afford another $2-300 you can probably get something a little larger at 1080p that will last longer, and at least take full advantage of blu-ray playback among other things.

People recommending 50"+ TVs have no common sense. Obviously that is out of the range of what he's looking for.

MrDenny

Samsung just released there new B series t.v.'s.
I would recommend the samsung ln32b460.
Amazon has it on sale for $552.00, plus I dont think there is tax.
50,000:1 contrast ratio
6ms response time

Mii

Banned
I have a 32" 720p Samsung LN32A450

Amazing television for the size room we have (couch 8-10 feet away). You have no need for 1080p at that distance. I have now sworn allegiance to Samsung after being raised a Sony kid.

Zapages

kpop100 said:
I would still go a model higher than that. If you can afford another $2-300 you can probably get something a little larger at 1080p that will last longer, and at least take full advantage of blu-ray playback among other things.

People recommending 50"+ TVs have no common sense. Obviously that is out of the range of what he's looking for.

Does 1080p make much difference at 32 inches...

MrDenny said:
Samsung just released there new B series t.v.'s.
I would recommend the samsung ln32b460.
Amazon has it on sale for $552.00, plus I dont think there is tax.
50,000:1 contrast ratio
6ms response time

Does Samsung B series have S-video... I have to find Samsungs 32s with Svideo. :( That's the output for connecting my PC - monitor to my TV as of now. :\

Zapages

How is the 8 ms good for gaming??? Specifically on a PS3??? I mean I don't play FPS, mostly Fighters, action adventure games, sports games(NCAA Football) and racing games from time to time.

Zapages

How is the 8 ms good for gaming??? Specifically on a PS3??? I mean I don't play FPS, mostly Fighters, action adventure games, sports games(NCAA Football) and racing games from time to time.

Seth C

kpop100 said:

And if he plans to sit 4 feet from the thing your 1080p suggestion would also be quite useful...

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The recliner in my living room is 5 feet away from my 50inch hdtv. The couch is 10 feet away from the 50inch.

If you're used to a 20" tube, 32" hdtv is a hell of a upgrade.

And if you can only spend $500, your options are indeed limited.

But, I personally would spend more to up the screen size and enjoyment level. I may be spoiled after 2 years of having this 50inch hdtv, but my 50" hdtv 10 feet away isn't that big.

My 27" tube that I set 5 feet away from in my room is quite small even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom