• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 update September 13, 2023 rolls out globally with new accessibility, audio, and social feature enhancements.

Aaron Olive

osah6aw.jpg

PS Remote Play is now supported on more Android devices, providing new options to stream your favorite PlayStation games.

Z1qTN6p.jpg
Hideaki Nishino
Senior Vice President, Platform Experience, SIE

With the holiday season and a new wave of exciting game releases approaching, today we’re pleased to roll out an all-new PS5 system software update globally. Thanks to support from our beta participants, this update includes a number of features from the latest PS5 beta, including:
  • New accessibility features, such as using a second DualSense controller for assistance
  • New audio options that allow 3D Audio powered by Tempest 3D AudioTech to be enjoyed on compatible Dolby Atmos-enabled HDMI devices
  • New ways to connect with other players and customize your multiplayer sessions
  • Support for larger-capacity M.2 SSDs (up to 8TB).
Additionally, we’re also introducing new features like support for PS Remote Play on more Android devices alongside some new enhancements coming to PS App in the coming weeks.

Here are the highlights:

Newly announced features​

PS Remote Play support on additional Android devices​

• PS Remote Play allows you to stream games from your PS5 or PS4 console to another device – including smartphones and tablets (iOS and Android), PCs and Mac – over the internet or through your home network. This provides you with more options to enjoy your favorite games even when you’re away from the living room.*
  • Starting today, the PS Remote Play app will be available on devices running Android TV OS 12.**
  • Here are the verified devices so far:
    • Chromecast with Google TV (4K model)
    • BRAVIA XR A95L model
  • To use Remote Play on these devices, search for the PS Remote Play app on your Android device to download and install the app.
  • To learn more about PS Remote Play, visit PlayStation.com.

New Voice Command options (U.S. and U.K. limited release)​

• Voice Command has been improved.
    • Say “Hey PlayStation, help” to activate Help content. You can now navigate between help content pages using Voice Command.
    • Say “Hey PlayStation, what’s new?” and you can now check for new PS5 features and see the current PlayStation Plus monthly games lineup.
  • Note: Voice Command (Preview) is currently available in English for PS5 players with accounts registered to the U.S. and U.K.

New PS App enhancements​

Later this month, we’ll also gradually roll out some new features for PS App globally, on iOS and Android. Just like the PS5 console updates, you’ll be able to react to messages with emojis and see a preview of someone’s Share Screen before joining the party on PS App.

9tEF3E5.jpg

PS5 Beta features rolling out globally today​

Previously announced features that were part of the beta will also be included in the global release.

New accessibility features​

• Use a Second Controller for Assistance. You can now assign a second controller to one account as an assist controller, and use two controllers to operate your PS5 console as if you were using a single controller. This feature introduces a new way for you to enjoy games collaboratively with others or help a friend or child navigate a particularly challenging section of a game.
    • To use an assist controller, go to [Settings] > [Accessibility] > [Controllers] > [Use Second Controller for Assistance], and then turn on [Use Assist Controller].
    • You can use an assist controller when your main controller is a DualSense or DualSense Edge wireless controller, or a PS5-supported third-party controller.***
A3L397R.jpg

• System UI Haptic Feedback. You now have the option to turn on haptic feedback effects while navigating your PS5 with your DualSense controller, DualSense Edge controller, or PS VR2 Sense controller.
    • When enabled, system sound effects for certain events will also be reflected physically through haptics, such as moving focus, reaching the end limit of a scrollable section, checking a box, or when you receive a notification or start up a game. This optional feature enhances immersion and is particularly useful for players with some level of sight or hearing disability, who appreciate the additional feedback on their inputs.
    • To turn on this feature, go to [Settings] > [Accessibility] > [Controllers], and then turn on [Haptic Feedback During Console Navigation].

Support for compatible Dolby Atmos-enabled audio devices​

• 3D Audio powered by Tempest 3D AudioTech can now be enjoyed by those who own compatible Dolby Atmos-enabled HDMI devices such as soundbars, TVs or home theater systems. Tempest 3D AudioTech specifically renders to the Dolby Atmos audio device in use – including overhead channels – allowing for even greater levels of immersion in the audioscapes of PS5 games. ****
    • To turn on Dolby Atmos, go to [Settings] > [Sound] > [Audio Output] > [Audio Format (Priority)], and then select [Dolby Atmos].
Ax2xEUm.jpg

Social feature enhancements​

• Party UI update. You can now invite a player into a closed party without automatically adding the player into the group or creating a new group. Additionally, players can now send open or closed party invitations to groups instead of only individual players.
x6qeXnR.jpg

• Share Screen Preview. When someone’s sharing their screen in a party that you can join, you’ll now see a preview image of their Share Screen, even before you enter the party.
4lf2KFI.jpg

• Join friends’ game sessions easily. You can now easily see which of your friends are in an activity you can join under the [Friends] tab.
    • The Joinable icon will be displayed next to friends who are playing a game you can join.
    • You can join a friend’s game directly by pressing the options button and selecting [Join Game], or by selecting the ”Join” button on their profile card.

• Game Hub tournaments tile. In the game hub, you can now see how many tournaments you’ve entered and the highest place you’ve achieved, as well as the start time for the next tournament. You can select the tile to see the full tournament list.
l8LYPOH.jpg

• React to messages with emojis. You can now add reactions to messages with emojis, which makes communicating with friends quicker and easier.
5IuI6Bl.jpg

Ease-of-use features​

• Search for games in your library. You can now search for games within your game library.
6PpkbRg.jpg

• Game Help improvements. Game Help cards have been improved.*****
    • In addition to in-progress activities, you can now see available, previously available, upcoming, and completed activities.
    • When a card is selected, its details are now displayed on the right side of the card, making it easier to find objectives and their corresponding hints.
UQBEbMj.jpg

• Discover new features. Browse useful tips for getting the most out of your PS5 and learn about new features in the new Discover Tips section.
    • Go to [Settings] > [Guide & Tips, Health & Safety, and Other Information] > [Guide and Tips], and then select [Discover Tips] to view all the tips.
NvxGhVs.jpg

• Mute PS5 beep sound. You can now mute or adjust the volume of the PS5’s beep sound when turning it on or off, or putting it in rest mode.
    • Go to [Settings] > [System] > [Beep Sound].
    • To adjust the beep sound volume, select [Volume].
    • To mute the beep sound, turn on [Mute Beep Sound].

Support for larger-capacity M.2 SSDs​

• You can now use an M.2 SSD with a maximum capacity of 8TB (up from the previous 4TB limit) to expand storage space on your PS5 console.
    • Important: M.2 SSDs must meet the requirements outlined on this page. Please read the page linked above carefully before purchasing any M.2 SSDs for use with your PS5.

Last edited:
Hopefully the Atmos isn't being encoded the same way Dolby Access app does for PC & Xbox, get the occasional bout of Rice Krispies and dropouts that doesn't seem to happen with anything else that uses Atmos on my setup

Kupfer

Bloated? It's actually quite clean...
Remember the XMB? That OS was nice and clean.
Maybe I'm becoming an old grumpy fuck, but the current OS does not feel intuitive to use, functions are hidden in what feels like dozens of menus, and some menus are even hidden behind double-mapped buttons.

If you can't delete individual, unused system apps or features, I would at least like to see a "hide all the crap I'm not interested in" option (e.g. everything that has to do with multiplayer or community, store, offers and subscription services).
It feels to me more and more like booting a pc that distracts from the actual experience of playing a game with its dozens of little launcher programs, features and tools.
Well, the times when you turn on the console, put in the game and start playing without being distracted are probably over.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Remember the XMB? That OS was nice and clean.
Maybe I'm becoming an old grumpy fuck, but the current OS does not feel intuitive to use, functions are hidden in what feels like dozens of menus, and some menus are even hidden behind double-mapped buttons.

If you can't delete individual, unused system apps or features, I would at least like to see a "hide all the crap I'm not interested in" option (e.g. everything that has to do with multiplayer or community, store, offers and subscription services).
It feels to me more and more like booting a pc that distracts from the actual experience of playing a game with its dozens of little launcher programs, features and tools.
Well, the times when you turn on the console, put in the game and start playing without being distracted are probably over.
It was nice but very nested.

yurinka

Nice update. But I see they didn't add the feature they have in beta to stream from cloud gaming PS5 games you owned.

Kerotan

There's a setting in notifications to turn on haptic feedback when you receive a message. It won't let me turn it on. Anyone know how?

Found it. You need to enable haptic feedback for menu navigation which I don't want. It's a shame because receiving haptic feedback when a message is received would be cool.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Please someone explain to me what was the point of that sound in the first place? Some kind of engineer fetish? Some like feet but Playstation engineers like that awful sound when they stroke their console.
It was so people who had a partner could come on and brag that a) they had a partner and b) that their partner was no longer aware that they had turned on the PS5.

T-Cake

Does anybody know of handy shortcuts for the PS5 OS?

I know that if you press triangle on the home screen, you jump straight to the top right corner for settings/profile.
L1/R1 switches between Games and Media.

But is there a way to quickly move from PS+ on the left to the library on the right in the row of games displayed in between?

Kupfer

WTF?!

How do more OS features hurt you?
It just feels way too cluttered for me, as you can read above.

TL;DR:
I don't want to be bombarded with information, offers and settings.
I want to turn the thing on, put in a game and play.
without distractions
without suggestions
without the community nonsense
without subscription paywalls
without trophy guides
without all the bells and whistles that sony tries to use to build a dependency on their ecosystem.

If I could, I would prefer to, just like on the PC, uninstall almost all features, and would then be left with a "Games" folder tile, a "Settings" tile, the "Store" tile, and the "Media Player" tile. Nice and clean.

Press PS button for HomeScreen, hold PS button to suspend, shut down console, turn off controller.

But with all these features and options, I don't have the option to clean up the system.

Last edited:
It just feels way too cluttered for me, as you can read above.

TL;DR:
I don't want to be bombarded with information, offers and settings.
I want to turn the thing on, put in a game and play.
without distractions
without suggestions
without the community nonsense
without subscription paywalls
without trophy guides
without all the bells and whistles that sony tries to use to build a dependency on their ecosystem.

If I could, I would prefer to, just like on the PC, uninstall almost all features, and would then be left with a "Games" folder tile, a "Settings" tile, the "Store" tile, and the "Media Player" tile. Nice and clean.

Press PS button for HomeScreen, hold PS button to suspend, shut down console, turn off controller.

But with all these features and options, I don't have the option to clean up the system.

Most of these features can be disabled or are hidden away in menus.

Vlodril

You can now search for the game in your library? Finally. How wasn't this in the os from the start. Let me scroll down on all these games to try to find out what i want.

K2D

Banned
Are the new audio features gonna have an effect on headset or not at all ?

I don't know if atmos rated headsets get better support with this, but games that already support atmos can now deliver spacial sound to stereo headsets, (if they do not already use tempest engine as well).

Edit: Article from a month ago:

Chat.Gpt:

Atmos Rated Headsets:Atmos rated headsets, often referred to as "Dolby Atmos for Headphones" or simply "Atmos headsets," are designed to provide an immersive audio experience that mimics the Dolby Atmos audio format. These headsets use advanced audio processing algorithms to simulate three-dimensional sound, allowing you to perceive sound coming from all around you, including above and below. This creates a more realistic and immersive audio experience, particularly in movies and video games that support Dolby Atmos audio.

Regular Headsets:Regular headsets, also known as stereo or standard headphones, provide audio in a traditional left-right stereo format. They are capable of delivering high-quality audio but do not have the specialized processing required to create the immersive 3D audio experience provided by Atmos rated headsets.

Atmos Format: Dolby Atmos is an advanced audio format developed by Dolby Laboratories. Unlike traditional audio formats, which use channels (e.g., 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound), Dolby Atmos uses object-based audio. In Dolby Atmos, audio elements are treated as individual objects, and each object can have its position and motion in a 3D space defined. This allows sound designers to precisely place and move audio elements in a 3D environment, providing a more immersive and realistic audio experience.

Tempest Engine:The "Tempest Engine" is a custom-designed audio processing unit that is part of the Sony PlayStation 5 (PS5) gaming console. It is responsible for delivering advanced audio features, including 3D audio, to enhance the gaming experience. While it doesn't use Dolby Atmos specifically, it employs its own proprietary 3D audio technology to create immersive soundscapes in compatible games.

In summary, Atmos rated headsets are specialized headphones that can replicate the immersive 3D audio experience of Dolby Atmos content. Regular headsets provide traditional stereo audio. Dolby Atmos is an advanced audio format that uses object-based audio to create a 3D soundstage. The Tempest Engine is a component of the PS5 designed to deliver immersive 3D audio in compatible games.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's an indication that it passed the Power-On Self-Test. It's a bit of an engineering fetish but it can be useful when things aren't working correctly.
Also helpful for going into safe mode since you needed to hear at least 2 beeps before releasing the button.

3liteDragon

Wait I can change my 3D audio output to Atmos? I have an Arctis 7 & according to SteelSeries, all their headsets support Atmos.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hopefully the Atmos isn't being encoded the same way Dolby Access app does for PC & Xbox, get the occasional bout of Rice Krispies and dropouts that doesn't seem to happen with anything else that uses Atmos on my setup
Yeah, I’m done using atmos on PC and Atmos, the audio sync issues have gotten so noticeably bad that I have to now resort to stereo. Wish my C1 allowed DTS:X for pass through like the C3 supposedly does.

NEbeast

Anyone had problems with this? I have just tried to install it and I got an "can't complete update", my ps5 restarted and tried again, and it did the same thing. Now I'm stick in safe mode as even trying to update through that won't work. What the fuck.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Anyone had problems with this? I have just tried to install it and I got an "can't complete update", my ps5 restarted and tried again, and it did the same thing. Now I'm stick in safe mode as even trying to update through that won't work. What the fuck.
Can you get back into the PS5 Dashboard?

If Yes, try System > System Software > Resetting Options.

If No, Did you try via USB?

Worst case factory reset.

NEbeast

Can you get back into the PS5 Dashboard?

If Yes, try System > System Software > Resetting Options.

If No, Did you try via USB?

Worst case factory reset.
Thanks for the help. I googled the error and it was saying the ps5 wasn't recognising the blueray. I recently cleaned it so i figured I just hadn't connected the optic cable properly/it had come loose as I was putting it back together.
It's weird because i have played on it without issue, it only popped up when trying to update.

JoduanER2

osah6aw.jpg

PlayStation Blog

PS Remote Play is now supported on more Android devices,
providing new options to stream your favorite PlayStation games.

Z1qTN6p.jpg
Hideaki Nishino
Senior Vice President, Platform Experience, SIE

With the holiday season and a new wave of exciting game releases approaching, today we’re pleased to roll out an all-new PS5 system software update globally. Thanks to support from our beta participants, this update includes a number of features from the latest PS5 beta, including:
  • New accessibility features, such as using a second DualSense controller for assistance
  • New audio options that allow 3D Audio powered by Tempest 3D AudioTech to be enjoyed on compatible Dolby Atmos-enabled HDMI devices
  • New ways to connect with other players and customize your multiplayer sessions
  • Support for larger-capacity M.2 SSDs (up to 8TB).
Additionally, we’re also introducing new features like support for PS Remote Play on more Android devices alongside some new enhancements coming to PS App in the coming weeks.

Here are the highlights:

Newly announced features​

PS Remote Play support on additional Android devices​

• PS Remote Play allows you to stream games from your PS5 or PS4 console to another device – including smartphones and tablets (iOS and Android), PCs and Mac – over the internet or through your home network. This provides you with more options to enjoy your favorite games even when you’re away from the living room.*
  • Starting today, the PS Remote Play app will be available on devices running Android TV OS 12.**
  • Here are the verified devices so far:
    • Chromecast with Google TV (4K model)
    • BRAVIA XR A95L model
  • To use Remote Play on these devices, search for the PS Remote Play app on your Android device to download and install the app.
  • To learn more about PS Remote Play, visit PlayStation.com.

New Voice Command options (U.S. and U.K. limited release)​

• Voice Command has been improved.
    • Say “Hey PlayStation, help” to activate Help content. You can now navigate between help content pages using Voice Command.
    • Say “Hey PlayStation, what’s new?” and you can now check for new PS5 features and see the current PlayStation Plus monthly games lineup.
  • Note: Voice Command (Preview) is currently available in English for PS5 players with accounts registered to the U.S. and U.K.

New PS App enhancements​

Later this month, we’ll also gradually roll out some new features for PS App globally, on iOS and Android. Just like the PS5 console updates, you’ll be able to react to messages with emojis and see a preview of someone’s Share Screen before joining the party on PS App.

9tEF3E5.jpg

PS5 Beta features rolling out globally today​

Previously announced features that were part of the beta will also be included in the global release.

New accessibility features​

• Use a Second Controller for Assistance.You can now assign a second controller to one account as an assist controller, and use two controllers to operate your PS5 console as if you were using a single controller. This feature introduces a new way for you to enjoy games collaboratively with others or help a friend or child navigate a particularly challenging section of a game.
    • To use an assist controller, go to [Settings] > [Accessibility] > [Controllers] > [Use Second Controller for Assistance], and then turn on [Use Assist Controller].
    • You can use an assist controller when your main controller is a DualSense or DualSense Edge wireless controller, or a PS5-supported third-party controller.***
A3L397R.jpg

• System UI Haptic Feedback.You now have the option to turn on haptic feedback effects while navigating your PS5 with your DualSense controller, DualSense Edge controller, or PS VR2 Sense controller.
    • When enabled, system sound effects for certain events will also be reflected physically through haptics, such as moving focus, reaching the end limit of a scrollable section, checking a box, or when you receive a notification or start up a game. This optional feature enhances immersion and is particularly useful for players with some level of sight or hearing disability, who appreciate the additional feedback on their inputs.
    • To turn on this feature, go to [Settings] > [Accessibility] > [Controllers], and then turn on [Haptic Feedback During Console Navigation].

Support for compatible Dolby Atmos-enabled audio devices

• 3D Audio powered by Tempest 3D AudioTech can now be enjoyed by those who own compatible Dolby Atmos-enabled HDMI devices such as soundbars, TVs or home theater systems. Tempest 3D AudioTech specifically renders to the Dolby Atmos audio device in use – including overhead channels – allowing for even greater levels of immersion in the audioscapes of PS5 games. ****
    • To turn on Dolby Atmos, go to [Settings] > [Sound] > [Audio Output] > [Audio Format (Priority)], and then select [Dolby Atmos].
Ax2xEUm.jpg

Social feature enhancements​

• Party UI update. You can now invite a player into a closed party without automatically adding the player into the group or creating a new group. Additionally, players can now send open or closed party invitations to groups instead of only individual players.
x6qeXnR.jpg

• Share Screen Preview. When someone’s sharing their screen in a party that you can join, you’ll now see a preview image of their Share Screen, even before you enter the party.
4lf2KFI.jpg

• Join friends’ game sessions easily.You can now easily see which of your friends are in an activity you can join under the [Friends] tab.
    • The Joinable icon will be displayed next to friends who are playing a game you can join.
    • You can join a friend’s game directly by pressing the options button and selecting [Join Game], or by selecting the ”Join” button on their profile card.
  • Game Hub tournaments tile. In the game hub, you can now see how many tournaments you’ve entered and the highest place you’ve achieved, as well as the start time for the next tournament. You can select the tile to see the full tournament list.
l8LYPOH.jpg

• React to messages with emojis. You can now add reactions to messages with emojis, which makes communicating with friends quicker and easier.
5IuI6Bl.jpg

Ease-of-use features​

• Search for games in your library. You can now search for games within your game library.
6PpkbRg.jpg

• Game Help improvements. Game Help cards have been improved.*****
    • In addition to in-progress activities, you can now see available, previously available, upcoming, and completed activities.
    • When a card is selected, its details are now displayed on the right side of the card, making it easier to find objectives and their corresponding hints.
UQBEbMj.jpg

• Discover new features.Browse useful tips for getting the most out of your PS5 and learn about new features in the new Discover Tips section.
    • Go to [Settings] > [Guide & Tips, Health & Safety, and Other Information] > [Guide and Tips], and then select [Discover Tips] to view all the tips.
NvxGhVs.jpg

• Mute PS5 beep sound.You can now mute or adjust the volume of the PS5’s beep sound when turning it on or off, or putting it in rest mode.
    • Go to [Settings] > [System] > [Beep Sound].
    • To adjust the beep sound volume, select [Volume].
    • To mute the beep sound, turn on [Mute Beep Sound].

Support for larger-capacity M.2 SSDs​

• You can now use an M.2 SSD with a maximum capacity of 8TB (up from the previous 4TB limit) to expand storage space on your PS5 console.
    • Important: M.2 SSDs must meet the requirements outlined on this page. Please read the page linked above carefully before purchasing any M.2 SSDs for use with your PS5.

Should the people with dolby atmos soundbars activate this?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Thanks for the help. I googled the error and it was saying the ps5 wasn't recognising the blueray. I recently cleaned it so i figured I just hadn't connected the optic cable properly/it had come loose as I was putting it back together.
It's weird because i have played on it without issue, it only popped up when trying to update.
Probably just vibrated enough to unseat it when last used. Probably crazy timing, lol.

Should the people with dolby atmos soundbars activate this?
Yes, if it helps with audio syncing and you have eARC enabled.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yeah, I’m done using atmos on PC and Atmos, the audio sync issues have gotten so noticeably bad that I have to now resort to stereo. Wish my C1 allowed DTS:X for pass through like the C3 supposedly does.
Atmos on PC with good headphones is very nice. Haven't tried through the receiver though, mine is old.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Atmos on PC with good headphones is very nice. Haven't tried through the receiver though, mine is old.
I have my C1 hooked up my PC and a soundbar running off of it with eARC. Wont run the HDMI through the soundbar since I would lose VRR/120 Hz.

My Logitech headphones use DTS:X headphone and the lag is less bad than Atmos, it still exists.

Top Bottom