• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hell Freezes Over as XBOX outsells PS5 in Japan

darrylgorn

i-dont-believe-you-whatever.gif

I'm not a sales-age guy but something is not right here.

Checks date: It's not April 1st.

Yes, you're reading that right: Xbox Series X and S outsold the PS5 in Japan, of all places, both individually and combined.

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-outsells-ps5-japan-hell-freezes-over-unlocked-550?amp=1

Last edited:

RCU005

Sony has been abandoned Japan for a while, which is a terrible decision. They are leaving the entire market to Nintendo. I don’t think Xbox is going to gain any momentum there unless they get a huge deal for an IP.

To me, it seems that Jim Ryan is anti Japanese (in terms of business not people). It’s not just that he want to expand the western market (which of course it’s their majority of their business since PS4), but he seems to be actively trying to disappear anything Japanese from PlayStation (but how that turned out for Sega?)

Sony has been abandoned Japan for a while, which is a terrible decision. They are leaving the entire market to Nintendo. I don’t think Xbox is going to gain any momentum there unless they get a huge deal for an IP.

To me, it seems that Jim Ryan is anti Japanese (in terms of business not people). It’s not just that he want to expand the western market (which of course it’s their majority of their business since PS4), but he seems to be actively trying to disappear anything Japanese from PlayStation (but how that turned out for Sega?)
My only theory is at this point they are just coasting and will do some sort of "soft relaunch" with a big PR push when Final Fantasy comes out... by then they should have a lot more stock and maybe the yen won't be a disaster either.

Even if this is their plan I don't know how effective it will be, because the mindshare lost is real.

Fredrik

My take: Switch is too popular. Devs know that they can push out almost anything at a low budget on Switch and still make a fortune. If they make games for PS5 their target audience will shrink 20 times compared to releasing a game on Switch, for a Japanese release.

Fbh

....on a specific week.
I mean cool for Xbox but it's kinda sad seeing Sony and MS battling it out when Switch is selling like 5X as much as Ps5/Xbox combined.

Traditional console gaming is basically done in Japan. They want handheld console and mobile gacha games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
....on a specific week.
I mean cool for Xbox but it's kinda sad seeing Sony and MS battling it out when Switch is selling like 5X as much as Ps5/Xbox combined.

Traditional console gaming is basically done in Japan. They want handheld console and mobile gacha games.
And no sex.

BreakOut

A ton of square’s RPG‘s got to Nintendo, so I’m not really surprised. It’s been said on here before, Sony seems to be catering really really heavy to the west.
Has the PS5 sold pretty well over there already? Maybe people doubling up on consoles because of gamepass.
Also the Kojima announcement might bump things over there even more.

Goalus

It's a good result for Sony nonetheless, given that PS5 sales seem to be stabilizing above the 3k threshold.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
A ton of square’s RPG‘s got to Nintendo, so I’m not really surprised. It’s been said on here before, Sony seems to be catering really really heavy to the west.
Has the PS5 sold pretty well over there already? Maybe people doubling up on consoles because of gamepass.
Also the Kojima announcement might bump things over there even more.
It's a supply and demand issue.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I mean its all about supply chain right? But still ms has to be feeling good about this, i hope it means we get continued support from japan on the platform

Top Bottom