• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YTD Europe: PS5 4.68m; NSW 2.33m; X/S 0.88 m (Nov: PS5 1.21m; NSW 0.38m; X/S 0.18m)

MrA

Banned
Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN
Listen buddy I came from the Microsoft school of counting where 360 both after and before 1 and 9 is 7 and 8 skips to 10

Dr_Ifto

Microsoft should have bought EA for the football game, and made it exclusive. Activision is only big in US/UK where they were already pretty strong.

Mr Moose

Why does everyone keep saying Xbox won black Friday. Why is this joke not reaching me
People are taking the piss out of Wedbush bullshit (Probably from Michael Pachter).
“Microsoft was the clear winner on a combination of availability, discounting and Diablo IV,” they wrote.

Last edited:

Flabagast

People are taking the piss out of Wedbush bullshit (Probably from Michael Pachter).
Microsoft was also the clear winner in terms of new gamepass subscriptions during Black Friday, competitors were all at 0 new Gamepass additions, can you believe it ?!

Huge win imho

Ar¢tos

Well, it is kinda true. Few Xboxes sold = more Xboxes available, so they win availability , Xbox had a bigger discount than PS5 and MS gets the profit from Diablo IV sales, so they have more Diablo IV than Playstation.

Flutta

Banned
People need to look themselves in the face and ask................................................"Is GamePass really the best deal in gaming?"

Seriously!
For someone who doesn’t care about this industry or what happens to it, for those who feel entitled to get everything for cheap without a concern how damaging this type of consumption is.
For those people it’s the best deal ever. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's a pretty accurate reflection on the state of the system. Regardless of what people want a champion. It's not worth having. I do play some of their games on PC though. I'm glad for that.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I seriously wonder how. It shouldn’t be this bad even in the worst case scenario.

Is there a reason for this? Genuine question.
1) People severely overestimate the success of the 360 in Europe, that created a false narrative according to which PS had competition. PS just was too fucking expensive for the Euro market at launch and Xbox was cheaper with roughly the same games (even some cooler ones in the early years). People trampling each other to buy a PS4 at launch should have destroyed that narrative 10 years ago.

2) PS4 re-established PS’s absolute rule on the continent to the extent that MS never could realistically be called a competitor again. But again, pretending Xbox still had some weight in Europe last gen makes for a much funnier console war narrative.

3) Xbox put a foot in the door in the age of absolute no-fucks-given dudebro gaming. Games getting more complex than that, coupled with the demolition of the dudebro wave by the emergence of the woke (used in a very broad way here) era and the fall of historical MS staples like Halo, extinguished the very thing that made Xbox distinguish itself as a brand. That was Xbox identity’s, like it or not, and it‘s unfit for the current societal environment.

Flabagast

nq75M6H.jpg

I dont think people realise, this is absolutely disastrous.

Some stores are beginning to remove Xbox entirely from shelves in several European countries. The brand is seriously dying in this continent as we speak.

Last edited:

Dr_Ifto

Jesus.

At some point, you have to look at the leadership and ask what is going on?
  1. Disastrous game launches (Redfall)
  2. Non system seller 1st Party games which launched to midling reviews (Starfall)
  3. 68billion acquisition that you cannot make exclusive for the best titles for 10 years
  4. Vastly underperforming console sales
  5. 6+ year game development

Bernardougf

Gold Member
And thats why they (MS) have to kill asap this generation and TRY to start fresh by 26/27 ... top hardware, great EXCLUSIVES, no more series S bullshit and no more day 1 PC launching, I would kill gamepass day 01 also but this seems far-fetched at this point, but maybe a new type of gamepass tear with the new generation ....

A new console with great exclusives for that console can succeed.... will they do it ? nop.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If Phil was Japanese, he'd seppuku right now in the Microsoft headquarters with Satya watching.
Nah, he had is MSFT career moment in E.E.E. from the competition.

The career moment isn't delivering in spades to the fans and consumers, it's buying up publishers and storied IPs you already had access to, swallowing large chunks of the industry. MS's way in any industry they enter.

Last edited:

onQ123

I seriously wonder how. It shouldn’t be this bad even in the worst case scenario.

Is there a reason for this? Genuine question.
The Answer

Damn, I've seen some people saying that Xbox sales are like this because MS was too focused on the Activision acquisition to properly market the console 💀.

So these are the excuses we've had throughout the years:
- Release - 2021: Supply issues (I'll give them that)
- 2022: Lack of games
- 2023: Too focused on acquisition
- 2024: ?

I know this is a circle jerk of Playstation guys living their best life, but xbox was always a dud in Europe other than UK. 360 did alright but was soundly beaten by PS3. Only in the UK was that reversed, with the 360 soundly beating the PS3. It's why Microsoft havn't really put any effort in over there they have accepted it, and trying to bring customers in via PC. The places that Microsoft are worried about are UK and US where they are currently offering a load of discounts to try and sell a load before Christmas is over.

Top Bottom