• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 Review Embargo drops 1 hour before release

midnightAI

Oh, shit, I must've forgot to edit quotes:messenger_grinning_squinting:

4276f1ed721935be242e945200eb6679.gif
Forgive The Doctor GIF by Doctor Who

Ozriel

M$FT
What kind of a stupid question is that?

It's even more stupid given the fact that the exclusivity doesn't even matter in this case, cuz the game won't sell no matter what. BUT! PS5 support day one could've helped NT to sell more copies cuz there's no way to play the game for free on the PS5, unlike on PC and Xbox via Gamepass.
But now they have to rely on sales which won't happen cuz of Gamepass and piracy on PC - MS are not protecting their games with DRM like Capcom is doing for example and then removing DRM after a year or so. We already saw how bad sales are on PC and I'm sure it's even worse for Xbox cuz why should people buy if they can play for free by paying just $10 and finish the game in a week?

The Xbox as a platform doesn't exist anymore like it was during the last couple of generations. MS don't care about not only exclusivity, but also about their own hardware they need to sell to get rid of the inventory at this point, cuz nobody gives a shit about Xbox and why should they if even MS doesn't? All of their games are available on PC day one with no exceptions. There's no exclusivity unless the game is only available on your own platform any on no one else's. What's the point of Xbox right now aside from keeping Sony in line?

They bought and closed studios which didn't even do shit for their platform - all of the games were in development long before MS bought Bethesda and they were in the final stages of development. Their games are also available on the PS5 now and more of them will be from now on, sooner or later, whether someone likes it or not.
This whole exclusivity thing is pointless at this point and in not to distant future will be a thing of the past. There's no future for console exlusivity unless you're Nintendo and Square Enix was the last publisher to understand that by not doing it anymore and focusing on multi-platform development and support day one. At the end of the day, Nintendo will be the only company with exclusive games not available on other platforms but their own.

Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal

Ozriel

M$FT
If you watched the first trailer to HB2, almost 5 years ago, I think most, including myself, were expecting a big AAA game. It looked like it would be Xbox's GOW franchise. And It was the first game shown on the new consoles. Only earlier this year did Ninja Theory clarify that it is a shorter and more linear experience like the first game

And, a great game is a great game. The reason I brought up that it needs to "light the world on fire" is because if HB2 doesn't, I believe there is a very good chance the studio will cease to exist. This is the exact type of game that the industry, including Microsoft, are running away from

I'm looking forward to trying it on Gamepass. I thought the first game was good not great. Disappointed the combat seems to play very similar to HB1. Regardless, it will no doubt be a very unique experience just like the first game

And my bad on misquoting IGN preview. I thought the summary was part of the IGN preview, but it just a summary of all the previews

Why would a sequel with that theme be an ‘answer to God of War’? These franchises have nothing in common.

The industry is supposedly running away from hyper expensive and risky titles. That doesn’t describe Hellblade 2.

The first game was made on a $10 million budget. This is significantly more expensive, but we’re most certainly looking at the low end of AAA budget here with a 60 person dev team.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Why would a sequel with that theme be an ‘answer to God of War’? These franchises have nothing in common.

The industry is supposedly running away from hyper expensive and risky titles. That doesn’t describe Hellblade 2.

The first game was made on a $10 million budget. This is significantly more expensive, but we’re most certainly looking at the low end of AAA budget here with a 60 person dev team.
Hopefully there are no Atreus levels in this.

Both are 3rd person action adventure games, based around Norse mythology, great graphics, hand to hand combat ect. HB1 played very different from the recent God of War games but many gamers thought with Microsoft's backing, Ninja theory would make a game bigger in scope than HB1. HB2 seems to refine HB1's mechanics incredibly well but not much else

And you are dead wrong, the industry is running away from AA and smaller AAA titles like Hellblade 2. That is why studios like Tango Games and Arkane Austin are getting shut down across the industry. Ninja Theory fits perfectly within that mold. The only games getting greenlit nowadays have a big budget and most likely attached to a well known IP

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Still holds up for an Indie 2017 title.
It looks a lot better with all RT features enabled incl better shadows, reflections and RTGI. The performance price for all of this though... Even the 3080Ti can achieve a stable 1440p 30 FPS experience.
I wanted to replay the game before release of the next one, but decided to wait before I can do that with all RT features at a rock-solid 4K 30 FPS at least.

Last edited:
I wonder if this circlejerk will continue once the amazing review scores come pouring in?

Stellar Blade came out what, less than two weeks ago? Talk about that 🤭

ManaByte

Gold Member
I wonder if this circlejerk will continue once the amazing review scores come pouring in?

Stellar Blade came out what, less than two weeks ago? Talk about that 🤭
Stellar Blade is boring. This you kind of know what you’re getting if you’ve played the first game. Too many people didn’t and are expecting it to be something it’s not.

krumble

Hellblade 2 = Hellblade 1 with better visuals and improved combat (supposedly) that's my expectation, will be surprised if the end result is anything different

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Compression hell and doubt it is the PC version maxed without the retarded visual (d)effects.

hellbladegame-win64-s5wqwr.jpg

36501997576_83a15b83c6_o.jpg

hellbladegame-win64-s0ejzf.jpg
35621126834_b6ea677af1_o.jpg
35881926343_0af03edd46_o.jpg
It looks like these are without any RT effects at all - you can see that reflections are less detailed and pronounced plus there's no reflections in the puddles at all on the one from the very beginning of the game. On PC by default there's only RT reflections and they're not perfect, but you can enable all RT features like better RT Reflection and RT Shadows as well as RTGI via .ini file, which will destroy even high-end GPUs. But there's a catch besides performance - DLSS creates pixel break up on Senua during movement, maybe you can do something about it by switching DLSS presets, but I haven't tried that. The plus side is that the game is not eating a lot of VRAM with all RT features enabled so 12GB GPUs should be fine. The game is far from being the best looking UE4 game in terms of assets, geometry complexity, rock formations, water rendering etc. so there's nothing there to eat a lot of VRAM even without RT.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Can’t wait to play this, but I have to be honest it’s only for the eyes candy.
It’s perfectly okay to enjoy eye candy 👍 I haven’t played Alan Wake 2 so for me this is the first UE5 game with really high production values. I’m just worried that there will be some shader stutter nonsense on PC. The engine doesn’t have the best track record on that…

J3nga

It’s perfectly okay to enjoy eye candy 👍 I haven’t played Alan Wake 2 so for me this is the first UE5 game with really high production values. I’m just worried that there will be some shader stutter nonsense on PC. The engine doesn’t have the best track record on that…
AW2 isn't on UE5 though.

Isn't the idea that most people will play Hellblade 2 on GamePass and so the review embargo is meaningless. I suspect this is a game where the majority of people will try on the subscription and it likely will not actually sell that many copies. There is no physical release and the game itself is said to be just 8-10 hours long, at most. Not a game I'm itching to buy personally but I will likely pick it up once it is cheap in a Steam Sale if it reviews well.

Bridges

In some better alternate timeline, DmC: Devil May Cry was recognized as the gem that it is and we're all eagerly awaiting its 3rd or 4th sequel instead of waiting 7 years for the Xbox timed-exclusive sequel to a PlayStation timed-exclusive schizo simulator.

(Mostly kidding, I really liked Hellblade. Just always thought it was strange that it's been put on such a high pedestal when it is far from Ninja Theory's best imo)

Ozriel

M$FT
Isn't the idea that most people will play Hellblade 2 on GamePass and so the review embargo is meaningless. I suspect this is a game where the majority of people will try on the subscription and it likely will not actually sell that many copies. There is no physical release and the game itself is said to be just 8-10 hours long, at most. Not a game I'm itching to buy personally but I will likely pick it up once it is cheap in a Steam Sale if it reviews well.

It’s a product on sale for money. Reviews are important.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Is there a comparable game that’s popular?
There is no game like it on the market, well, until tomorrow. As for popularity, no chance, the first one wasn't popular and the second one won't be. It's just not that kind of "100% safe and for everyone" game people like and which can sell millions and even like Remedy games, which I'm sure selling much better.

Like I’ve watched a few videos and still don’t understand what the gameplay is. Is it like Alan Wake 2 ish?
It's a linear and heavy story/character-driven adventure game about real life mental illness in the 9th century Island during Viking raids. The closer comparison in terms of gameplay would be modern God of War but with much less emphasis on combat, backtraking, huge world exploration and when you need to fight in Hellblade, you're mostly fighting one on one (the first game aslo had bosses, no one knows yet if the second one has them as well). There's no character progression in terms of levels, no abilities to unlock, no quets to find and complete, no loot, no crafting and there's no HUD in the game at all. Hellblade games are more about the experience, story and characters and much less about stuff majority of people like, hence why Assassin's Creed is still a thing 17 years later and a lot of similar games as well.

Try the first game to see if it's your thing or not.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Imagine comparing a game which is unlike anything else and will be free on Game Pass to games you actually need to buy to play, one of them is multiplayer only meant for esports and the other completely derivative, bland, boring and unoriginal copy of Assassin's Creed.

giphy.gif

Can we please stop with the nonsense that games are "free" on Game Pass? Game Pass is a paid subscription service, it costs money, it's not a free download.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Can we please stop with the nonsense that games are "free" on Game Pass? Game Pass is a paid subscription service, it costs money, it's not a free download.
Of course it's not free and I've mentioned GP in my posts multiple times. But $10 for GP is nothing in comparison to $60/70, it's fuckin' two cups of coffee and even movie tickets cost more ffs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom