• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade II Screenshot Thread | Best looking game this gen so far?

CGNoire

PC version with the letterbox removed, along with film grain and CA etc removed -

prw1XQp.jpeg

It looks more like a 'game' now than a cgi movie and i'm sure some will feel its lost its charm like this, but i prefer the clean and crisp image quality. The game looks fucking nuts too imo, the detail really shines through with all the post processing gone (well most of it)..

vm6cyAi.jpeg

Zjn6Eup.jpeg
MnSDoT6.jpeg
But everything still looks like it's covered in vaseline?

I rag on modern games a lot, but this one is actually looks next gen. First game I can say that about all generation. Now, it looks like something we should have had much earlier, but it finally came. Not sure how much I will enjoy it, but seems like they accomplished most of what they set out to do.
I don’t know why people ever had these doubts. The playable Matrix demo made me an instant believer.

evanft

Is it weird that I'm not that impressed? It's technically impressive, but in a way that a tech demo for a new engine is impressive. There doesn't seem to be anything going on artistically. It's kind of the opposite of Ghost of Tsushima, which is actually not doing much technically but is absolutely gorgeous due to style and smart design decisions. They're leaning HEAVILY on post-processing, too, which I hate about 95% of the time. I'm seeing a lot of film grain, motion blur, and chromatic aberration, which are basically the three horsemen of shit I turn off in ever PC game.

Also, they gotta get rid of the black bars on PC ASAP.

Last edited:
Is it weird that I'm not that impressed? It's technically impressive, but in a way that a tech demo for a new engine is impressive. There doesn't seem to be anything going on artistically. It's kind of the opposite of Ghost of Tsushima, which is actually not doing much technically but is absolutely gorgeous due to style and smart design decisions. They're leaning HEAVILY on post-processing, too, which I hate about 95% of the time. I'm seeing a lot of film grain, motion blur, and chromatic aberration, which are basically the three horsemen of shit I turn off in ever PC game.

Also, they gotta get rid of the black bars on PC ASAP.

Yep I hate those 3 options in my games. Also agree that this game looks bland apart from the amazing graphics. There's just nothing else that screams next gen.

I said at the start of this gen, the games we have out now looks ok and I'd be happy with that level of fidelity if we could have a generational leap forward in physics and NPC AI. Where are the thunderstorms that realistically damage vegetation and other real world objects.
Realistic simulations of cloth, water etc.
NPC's that react to their surroundings (Im tired of seeing NPC's walk about in the rain or storms like nothing's going on).

Like where are these advancements in video game tech?

Last edited:
Playing HB2 on my Samsung 49" at 32:9 is simply amazing, no bars just full screen.

There's a few drops here and there but so far performance is pretty good (automatic DLSS @ 5120x1440p), though probably my 3080 is bottlenecking my CPU (13900k)

Bojji

Looks good but I can hardly see details with this absurd amount of CA, MB, DOF and other smearing effects. They clearly love them but there should be option to remove this shit.

proandrad

Game looks insane right on pc. Hope it does well. I’m so sick of every triple A game having to be a 50hr+ open world game. This and Stellar Blade brings me back to the ps2 and early 360 days.

Jesus Christ this looks absolutely insane graphically - people think Horizon Forbidden West looks better than this???? If Naughty Dog can get an actual game to have this level (or close) graphics. I will consider this gen a success

Neilg

I am curious what the budget actually was though as they only had an 80 man team and only started full production after mid 2021.
You're still at $30m+ with just salaries. There's tech, hardware, software, marketing, licensing too.

Jesb

This section at the beginning is giving me tomb raider vibes. It almost feels like they got the motivation from the first reimagining of tomb raider. The whole struggle and stuff, the sea level kind of gave me those vibes from that level in uncharted 4. I’m definitely thinking I’m gonna be sticking with this one. I eventually gave up on the first game after getting stuck/ uninterested. Let’s see how this goes. But man very immersed so far.

Top Bottom