• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers II broke 250k+ CCU on Steam: first PlayStation PC release to do so

Yoboman

Who's to say a large part of their investment into GaaS isn't focused on getting partners, funding 2nd party titles and acquiring/starting GaaS-centric studios?
Thats what they've done so far. Helldivers a second party example, Bungie, Concord and Fairgame$ the acquired first party examples

From what we know, only Naughty Dog from their core studios had a GAAS planned and it has been scrapped

Worst case scenario would have been all the external partner and new studios bombing because I don't think that would stop them trying and maybe ending up in a scenario like Suicide Squad with a GAAS game ruining one of their core studios reputations

So yeah I'll cheer for these games to do well if it helps with my single player games continuing to be unaffected

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
GAAS per se has never been the issue. Lots of us here play COD or Apex or Destiny.

The issue is renowned single player studios being crammed into the GAAS box, reminiscent of the tacked-on multiplayer of two gens ago.

This isn't that. This is a great game from a great team who wanted to make it.

Nah the problem has always been you pay full price for half a game up front and then get nickel and dime to death.

Killjoy-NL

Thats what they've done so far. Helldivers a second party example, Bungie, Concord and Fairgame$ the acquired first party examples

From what we know, only Naughty Dog from their core studios had a GAAS planned and it has been scrapped

Worst case scenario would have been all the external partner and new studios bombing because I don't think that would stop them trying and maybe ending up in a scenario like Suicide Squad with a GAAS game ruining one of their core studios reputations

So yeah I'll cheer for these games to do well if it helps with my single player games continuing to be unaffected
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but I'm actually one of the supporters of Sony releasing more GaaS titles.

I like the half/half approach of having an entry fee so the game doesn’t solely rely on ingame transactions.

And let’s say in 2 years they’ll ask 15 eurodollars to join the ‘third front’ to fight a new enemy type on new environments and unlock the level cap to have new abilities etc.
That would be totally fair in my opinion.

You Got It Animation GIF by SWR Kindernetz
No it isnt. Its his stupid assumption.

They will be a bit OP as a publisher if they are effectively juggling both
Yeah the true big bucks are being able to cater to both.

In there recent report revenue revenue was basically 50-50 between full price games and add on content.

GTA5 revenue is like this as well.

Single player and Multiplayer offer fundamentally different experiences that are unlikely to negatively effect others revenue.

yurinka

More and more, I’m realising that Sony overpaid big time for Bungie, they could get smaller Studios like Arrowhead and get very good results with their GaaS initiative.
One of the reasons of the Bungie acquisition was to use Bungie's knowledge, tech and expertise to help, support and bump the other GaaS Sony was making, like Helldivers 2. It has been a massive sucess.

Anotther reason was to improve Sony's 1st party revenue outside PS, it obviously also heavely improved thanks to Destiny 2. The other reason was to get the future Bungie games. So far Marathon announcement video broke Youtube records, meaning there's a ton of people interested on it.

They didn't overpay Bungie, it's working as expected or maybe better. As they keep releasing these GaaS titles, including the various ones Bungie has under the works, it will be clear that the Bungie acquisition was a great deal and the paid little for them.

When PC ports were coming out years ago, nobody would had believed day one PC ports would come, yet here we are in 2024. Helldivers 2.
Helldivers 1 was also released in PC almost at the same time.

Their centre of excellence did essentially have remit to greenlight or recommend reworking / cancellations. Advise on processes of monetisation, content roadmaps, possibility of fast tracked scaling.
I don't give Bungie much credit for Arrowhead putting out a great game. Bungie consulting is about helping Sony studios with their GAAS games road maps. The CEO of Arrowhead put out a tweet last night saying the road map has entirely changed for HD2 since it became a huge hit. I'm not sure if Bungie people ever saw HD2 before release, but they sure didn't convince Sony that it was going to be a hit

In fact, I would not be surprised if Bungie views Arrowhead as competition. HD2 now standing on their lane with it being PvE. Good thing one's single player and the other is third person to help differentiate the player bases a bit

Sony shown the list of tasks of the Live Games Center of Excellence does (where there isn't only Bungie, there's SIE Publishing and PS Studios too), and to greenlight or cancel games or recommend game cancellations wasn't included there. It wasn't included there to review its gameplay or fun.

It was limited to review and support the GaaS specific areas from the game development like the ones you mention: specific game design & concept review (meaning to have a GaaS friendly engaging loop for long term play), monetization and KPI data tracking review, preproduction pipeline (it's different from non-GaaS titles) review, launch readiness, post launch review (post launch content roadmap, KPI tracking, server stuff, etc)

0026.jpg

The SIE Live Service Center of Excellence (which includes Bungie, but isn't limited to them) also overviews their post launch strategy, meaning that Helldivers 2 will have a proper post launch content roadmap, which pretty likely was already designed, budgeted since years ago, and pretty likely even started to be developed before launch, as usual in GaaS.

After release, depending on performance, these post launch content plans keeps being tweaked periodically to add, remove or even shutting it down. In this case, it is being an insane success, so they'll invest more in post launch content and will have more ambitious content.

But being a GaaS is synonymous of having post launch content planned before release, whey won't just to start now to decide if they add stuff or not, or trying to figure out what to include, or hiring people to do it.

Before launching the game they'll have a roadmap of stuff they want to include in different major and minor updates. But depending on performance, the amount of stuff put there may evolve.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I still find it fascinating that a lot of people were very stern about hating GaaS, but with Helldivers 2, apparently it's just fine, lol. I'll definitely give it a shot once the PC issues are for sure fixed.

Duchess

It's weird, because this game sort of came out of nowhere.

Sony just casually announced it was happening, and didn't give it much more promo.

Probably being cautious.

Let's hope the success doesn't go to their heads.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am not going to celebrate it for a variety of reasons:
1) Halo Infinite had a 250k CCU as well. Doesnt mean much especially after seeing MS's announcement yesterday. Porting to PC is lost console sales and sales on their own digital platform where they get to keep 100% of the cut.
2) GaaS is very finicky. Anthem, Suicide Squad, Avengers all flopped for a variety of reasons, but above all they were a gigantic waste of time for these single player focused studios.
3) I actually liked the gameplay loop in avengers and anthem, and it seems suicide squad is decent in that department too. But people shied away despite the studio pedigree. Point is you cant ever predict what goes viral so why bother investing your best talent at it if its a roll of dice?
4) This success might cause them to revive Factions and any other gaas games they had cancelled. And fuck that. i dont want anymore gaas titles from Sony.

I am happier for the studio who deserve the success but Sony will take all the wrong lessons from this, double down on PC ports, double down on GaaS, and double down day one PC releases.

TheMan

Mostly deserved. The game is pretty dope when you’ve got a good group. That said it can still be a pain to connect to a game although it’s getting better.

yurinka

On a weekday. Probably 300k by weekend

Jim Ryan rn

It isn't their first GaaS. They made many more before like LBP, PS Home, GT Sport and so on. From the list of the 12 they already released MLB, GT7, Firewall Ultra and Helldivers 2, plus cancelled TLOU Online. Not sure if they were counting Destiny 2 there.

Since the PS4 era Sony have shown the uncanny ability to back/make big single player hits.

Can they have the same success in the PS5 era with GAAS games?! There off to a good start!
Yes, they proven it with GT7, MLB, (acquiring) Destiny 2 and now Helldivers 2. It will continue in a bigger scale with Concord, Marathon and maybe also Fairgame$.

So Jimbo was right all the time with this GaaS push?
Yes he was. But it wasn't his idea, the GaaS initiative and games like Helldivers were greenlighted back in the Andrew House era.

His part was to acquire the Destiny, Halo and CoD devs from Bungie and Firewalk (plus the Rainbow Six Siege+AC+The Division+other ones from Haven) to support the other devs less experienced in GaaS like Arrowhead with related knowledge, data and tech.

Last edited:

Sony just casually announced it was happening, and didn't give it much more promo.

Probably being cautious.

Maybe it's out of your radar but I've seen a lots of promote trailers. It even appeared in 2 state of plays.

All I need is this kind of traction behind a PVP military shooter.

Whether it's modern combat or sci-fi like this game.

KIllzone 2, Warhawk, or SOCOM with this formula would make me cry.

Markio128

1) Halo Infinite had a 250k CCU as well. Doesnt mean much especially after seeing MS's announcement yesterday. Porting to PC is lost console sales and sales on their own digital platform where they get to keep 100% of the cut.
2) GaaS is very finicky. Anthem, Suicide Squad, Avengers all flopped for a variety of reasons, but above all they were a gigantic waste of time for these single player focused studios.
3) I actually liked the gameplay loop in avengers and anthem, and it seems suicide squad is decent in that department too. But people shied away despite the studio pedigree. Point is you cant ever predict what goes viral so why bother investing your best talent at it if its a roll of dice?
4) This success might cause them to revive Factions and any other gaas games they had cancelled. And fuck that. i dont want anymore gaas titles from Sony.

I am happier for the studio who deserve the success but Sony will take all the wrong lessons from this, double down on PC ports, double down on GaaS, and double down day one PC releases.
1) Halo is a massive franchise, and Infinite is also a single player game, so the comparison is disingenuous at best.
2) Arrowhead aren’t a single player focused studio, so again, not sure what you’re getting at.
3) You can’t take success of another game away due to the failures of others.
4) Who knows why Factions was cancelled, but the success of Helldivers won’t change the decision.

Killjoy-NL

I have no special talents other than telling the "GAAS Is SaTUrREd" crowd they were wrong. I'm like a mutant in the XMen universe with the lamest power imaginable.

Oh get ready for these stories. They're coming.
The ability to "told you so" is arguably one of the most powerful abilities to have.

yurinka

The issue is renowned single player studios being crammed into the GAAS box, reminiscent of the tacked-on multiplayer of two gens ago.

This isn't that. This is a great game from a great team who wanted to make it.
That issue doesn't exist in Sony games, all the SP teams continue doing them.

GaaS are either made by new additional teams created in the studios for them or by teams already experienced on GaaS, or that already were making/planning to them before signing with Sony.

As happens with the PC ports of old Sony games or the mobile games, they are being made by separate dedicated teams on top of the SP ones they had.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
The game looks great. It's not sp friendly though? Is there a campaign?
It’s great for drop in and drop off sessions. My wife had on Love is Blind on the TV, I was playing Helldivers 2 on my backbone. Great evening.

I don’t speak when playing with complete strangers in quick play, but the ping system and communication wheel are super effective.

DrFigs

One would hope this being a hit means that there would be less pressure on Sony to make more GAAS. Since the idea is to have a lot in production because some would fail. But Playstation doesn't seem to understand competition anymore: that platforms, as well as games are competing for playtime, so who knows.

Last edited:

Astray

Probably being cautious.

They've been promoting it since last year's disastrous State of Play.

Just not God of War levels of marketing.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So we are in agreement now that Sony's GaaS strategy is ok now?

GaaS games are not inherently bad, it all depends on how the game is developed and managed.

Warframe, great game. Rainbow Six Seige, great game. Final Fantasy XIV, great game. Path of Exile, great game. All GaaS.

And now Helldivers 2 joins the fray. People need to stop diluting themselves to "GaaS bad" and look at the nuance. I been saying this since Sony announced their GaaS strat.

Good to see some vindication.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
One would hope this being a hit means that there would be less pressure on Sony to make more GAAS. Since the idea is to have a lot in production because some would fail. But Playstation doesn't seem to understand competition anymore: that platforms, as well as games are competing for playtime, so who knows.

In business, you run towards money, not away from it.

Helldivers 2 shows us the multiplayer market is the land of milk and honey.

Top Bottom