• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hello Games Announces Light no Fire | The Game Awards 2023

This looks dope and it should provide heavy competition to both Ark and its sequel, but...

rFje9oz.gif

Last edited:

Kikorin

Not something I'm interested at first sight because I don't care about multiplayer survival games, but sure could be interesting, especially if they'll support it forever like No Man's Sky.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I’m not thrilled about the art design, a bit too similar to NMS for my liking. Although 1:1 scaled seamless planet has me very intrigued.
We’ve had the open world game since the early aughts, but I don’t think I’ve seen any other devs attempt to make a literal open world game.

Same. I don’t particularly enjoy NMS art style anymore, feels dated. I’m mostly not a fan of brimming with fucking life procedurally for every goddamn square feet. I don’t like their procedural recipe basically.

NMS is basically a Minecraft in space backdrop, and this seems like more building/crafting.

I thought only PC bros enjoyed that genre?

Holammer

Ah yeah! Baby light my fire! That's the distillation of everything they learned and technologies developed for NMS.
That thing is Minecraft on steroids and it's going to entertain for a decade. They can expand with new planes of existence (standard fantasy fare), underworlds and never run out of space.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
It looks good and they've definitely taken their NMS tech to the next level but try as I might I just cannot get deep into NMS, this I'll be willing to give a shit if I can get a group to play with

Roxkis_ii

I see a lot of NMS in this, so this is likely to be a competent game. I just want to know more. Whats the game play loop and story going to be like? The trailer looks nice, but not quite hooking me yet. As a big nms fan, I'm causally optimist.

I'am amazed people are doubting Hello games this far in.

Seriously this isn't the same as before. They have 100 million in the bank, there getting recurring revenue from No man's Sky. They don't need to rush this out the door to get revenue.

Do you seriously think they want a repeat of No Man sky's?

Use your fucking Brains people.

Forsete

Gold Member
I can tell by the pixels that this will be a big hitter. Sony should gobble this studio up AZAPP and make this a Playstation xXxclusive.

CamHostage

Still seems weird to me what people "expected" No Man's Sky to be, versus what it delivered and then what it eventually became.

Most of the outrage over the launch was about it not being the multiplayer experience people imagined, which A) is not really there in the trailer (albeit there are other ships and you'd assume those are other players... there's no interaction with them other than proximity, so I'm not sure why that mattered?), and B) even before launch there was a lot of downplay effort to make sure it was clear that this was designed initially as a single-player experience, with ties to servers of other players for exploration recording and other progress features but not necessarily a game for players seeking time with other players. (That changed as the game evolved, but the game is still not dependent on MP and you can play it just fine offline.)

Yes, technically the launched product was datamined to reveal it apparently didn't have any actual player relation systems in the day one launch app (which has been remedied over time, but was certainly bad for a long time if that was important to buyers,) that was an ugly time for the game. Today, that first hit might be different because games constantly evolve and a simple, "Not at Day 1 but we're working on it" message before launch could have made all the difference, but it didn't work out that way.

However, it's always been strange to me how much the "Sean Murray lies!" ferocity continues when so much of it was based on players' ideas of what the game would be that this game wasn't made to be. It was almost three years between reveal and initial launch, and realistically, not a lot was said about the actual gameplay in that time; most player's thoughts on the game before it came out was , "Looks cool, but how the heck does it play?" From my memory of that time, it feels like a lot of that got answered by other players making assumptions, and then when the game came out and it was this simple wander-about space exploration thing with few Star Wars-style thrills and no MP interaction, the reaction was fiery. I never understood it; I knew from reading about the game that it probably wasn't for me at the time, then it came out and I read some of the heat against it and thought, "Wait, they're describing pretty much what I thought this game was going to be, what's the problem?"

Light No Fire is probably not for me either since I mostly like SP and structured experiences (but both beckon me to waste lots of free time with them if I ever do get around to either game in the "No" franchise...), but already there are some weird reactions about "story" and "quests" and RPG systems that I think are going to miss the point again...

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Kinda just looks like another open world crafting survival game to me. I don't think procedurally-generated games are for me :lollipop_neutral:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I chuckled after 'more ambitious' too; it was a funny dialogue. Doesn't seem like a game I'd enjoy, but I'm glad Hello Games is still standing strong and creating more games. Somehow I like these guys.

Stafford

It's nice that they really righted that ship with NMS with all those updates, but I'm still.......we'll see with this new game. It does look really good!

But what can I expect here? It seems there's combat, but are there quests, story? Remains to be seen if this will be my thing. NMS wasn't, not into building shit. Give me a good story, fun quests to take on etc.

naguanatak

Hello Games are a bunch of lunatics. I get it that NMS isn't everyones cup of tea. But to me there is no game that comes close (even though I rarely play it anymore fot different reasons). Light No Fire might change that.
When Murray revealed two or three years ago that they are working on a new title I told my coworker how awesome it would be if they would take their engine and knowledge of procgen and just made a rpg on one planet.
The idea of one planet is there...it might not be an rpg with quests, a story, voice over etc and end up as an action adventure with the written lore and sparse story like NMS...but the concept alone and Hello Games' track record when it comes to ideas, passion and continuosly working on it and updating it...man, I didn't think it would be possible to be as excited again as I was 2013 at the VGX stream when I saw the first trailer for NMS, but here we are :messenger_sunglasses:

Majukun

u mean, the most amazing "open world" "space exploration" game out there? if the 8 years of continuous support didnt change you mind about them, nothing ll. No Man Sky is one of the best games out there in the market right now.
i don't care.
if you spit in my eye and then pass 8 years cleaning it up, you are still the guy who spit in my eye.
what they did pre release is unacceptable, no matter how much "amend" they can do; if it wasn't , why would any studio be honest ever again,if you can just fix the game afterwards with the money you made by lying to your customers, and be treated like a hero for doing so?

Killjoy-NL

i don't care.
if you spit in my eye and then pass 8 years cleaning it up, you are still the guy who spit in my eye.
what they did pre release is unacceptable, no matter how much "amend" they can do; if it wasn't , why would any studio be honest ever again,if you can just fix the game afterwards with the money you made by lying to your customers, and be treated like a hero for doing so?
Imagine being stuck in the past and grumpy, while the rest has moved on and enjoying themselves.

8 years have passed and NMS might be the biggest comeback in gaming history.
Still being butthurt in 2023 seems rather childish.

i don't care.
Is there anything they could do to make you happy? Forgiveness is kinda important in life.

EDMIX

They are not getting an ounce of trust from me after what they pulled last time.

No trust day 1, but long term.......this is the team to trust for that support lol

Killjoy-NL Killjoy-NL Truth. I think they are right to not buy day 1, but I disagree with the idea that it took 8 years. The biggest missing feature that was talked about was Multiplayer, all the other stuff was small and fixed before that release anyway.

So release on August 2016, MP released summer 2018, so roughly 2 years. I have no clue where that person is getting 8 years lol

It was cleaned up within 2 and then the proceed to add a fuck ton a features on top of that, for free...that was never even talked about or promised.

Thats like getting everything in CP2077, trains, working ai with cars, car customization, apartment customization, return to the original RPG features 3rd person swappable, all in 2 fucking years, then cry for several more years as they add base building, multiplayer, space travel, gang wars, all free mind you. Shiiiiiit I'd STFU if they did all that lol

Hello Games should have been transparent about their issues, but the meat of what was being talked about at launch was given and then some within those 2 years, everything else after is a cherry on top and beyond what I'd ever expect any developer to even do post launch.

Last edited:

skit_data

This looks very interesting, Hello Games are doing some reverse Bethesda shit going from space down to world rather than the opposite

Killjoy-NL

No trust day 1, but long term.......this is the team to trust for that support lol

Killjoy-NL Killjoy-NL Truth. I think they are right to not buy day 1, but I disagree with the idea that it took 8 years. The biggest missing feature that was talked about was Multiplayer, all the other stuff was small and fixed before that release anyway.

So release on August 2016, MP released summer 2018, so roughly 2 years. I have no clue where that person is getting 8 years lol

It was cleaned up within 2 and then the proceed to add a fuck ton a features on top of that, for free...that was never even talked about or promised.

Thats like getting everything in CP2077, trains, working ai with cars, car customization, apartment customization, return to the original RPG features 3rd person swappable, all in 2 fucking years, then cry for several more years as they add base building, multiplayer, space travel, gang wars, all free mind you. Shiiiiiit I'd STFU if they did all that lol

Hello Games should have been transparent about their issues, but the meat of what was being talked about at launch was given and then some within those 2 years, everything else after is a cherry on top and beyond what I'd ever expect any developer to even do post launch.
Fair enough.
Didn't know the exact timeline and noticed 8 years being mentioned, so I went with that.

Given HG trackrecord irt support, I have little doubt they won't fix any launch-issues and add onto the game, like they did with NMS.

This could even far exceed NMS if they have social multiplayer from day 1.

Top Bottom