• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help guys: Which Far Cry is the best in the franchise?

I did some search and sites say FC3 is the best of the series...

But i want your opinions guys, im new on the franchise!

All FC games are on sale on Xbox, and i'll grab one.

Last edited:

SliChillax

Far Cry 3 felt like such a breath of fresh air after the frustrating Far Cry 2. Gameplay felt nice and smooth, graphics were great at the time. Exporation was great and the island always had something to offer. I loved the progression system in the game, unlocking weapons through interesting quests and such. Far Cry 4 was too much of the same and already felt a bit stale but it wasn't bad by any means. Far Cry 5 was just boring.

Kuranghi

Well, people have very different opinions about whats the best but I'd start with 3 and go from there, the gameplay systems get better as you go so more satisfying in order ie 3, 4, Far Cry: Primal, 5, 5: New Dawn. I didn't play Far Cry: Primal, which is the DLC for 4.

If you are only going to play one of them then I say 4 or 5.

TexMex

To me, 4.

4 reviewed slightly lower I think, being so close to 3 and yeah, it didin't exactly do much to improve the formula. It refined 3's existing formula, which led to a lot of (fair) "too samey" criticism.

If you've never played any of them, 4 is technically the best game imo.

There is a subset of people who swear by 2 if you really love tedious survival mechanics.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
3 or 4. I liked the villain more in 3, liked the environments more in 4. I'm gonna lean 4 because of the environments.

Primal is the only one I couldn't finish. I just hated it for whatever reason. A lot of people swear by it though.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Far Cry 4 for me. Pagan Min is great but isn't in the game as much as he should be but the few twists and ending are real good. I love Far Cry 3 as well and Vaas is the best antagonist that the series has ever had but he's only in the first half game as he's not the main villain in the game. Both games are great so if possible, buy and play both.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I only finished the first Far Cry, but you could say it's a.... far cry from the latest releases in terms of gameplay. Had an epicly long load time too. Let's just say it's not going to win.

Bragr

Banned
Far Cry 1 was fantastic when it first came out, inspired some new directions in PC FPS's, but it's aged a lot and is very different than the other newer Far Cry's.

Far Cry 2 might be the most interesting of the bunch, the setting is amazing (Africa), and it got an interesting story and tons of cool details like fire and weapon degradation. But it's aged a bit, I'm not sure how it plays now, but I loved it back in the days.

Far Cry 3 is the best overall from a franchise point of view, it brought the franchise forward and the current Far Cry's is copying it. But it's aged, it feels like an Xbox 360/PS3 game, which it is. Blood Dragon was a really cool stand-alone game too based on Far Cry 3.

Far Cry 4 is the one that plays the best now and looks and feels more modern, it feels more current-gen than Far Cry 3. Great setting, plays well, is decently polished. This is the one I would play first unless you want to start from the beginning and play through the whole franchise.

Far Cry Primal is a spin-off they did after Far Cry 4 set in the Stone Age. The setting is a bit fresher and spears and clubs are more fun than I expected. But it's also very repetitive and lacks the story and quality of the world that you will find in 3 and 4.

Far Cry 5 is okay but is also a mess in several areas and didn't evolve from 4. Terrible A.I. and a ridiculous story. Feels like they tried to copy 3 & 4 and fell short. Unpolished compared to those games too. But it looks great, and the gunplay is still good, so it's worth trying but slightly underwhelming if you are a fan of the franchise.

Far Cry: New Dawn is the worst game in the series. A spin-off from 5 that continues the story after 5 ended. The worst story and the worst setting. Lazy and uninspired.

Codes 208

Far cry 3 with 4 a solid second.

my least favorite is probably new dawn as the post-apocalyptic shit gets pretty old pretty quickly.

Plotline-wise I enjoyed 5 and New Dawn the best, and frankly both are needed To flesh out why Joseph Seed is one of the better characters in gaming today. FC3 got boring after Vas died, seriously he was the only character I gave a shit about, and this game wants me to spend 10 more hours playing it? FC4 has me siding with the villain, as my other choices are a brutal narco-state with child soldiers, or a brutal theocracy.

I've enjoyed all the spin offs; Blood Dragon, Primal, and New Dawn were all enjoyable to me.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
If you have a ps4 pro or Xbox one X , the classic version of Far Cry 3 looks stellar in its "pc' version at 1440p. The lightning and textures sometimes looks like a game that could have released this year . And yes right now it's 3-4 $ on the PSN store. Funny you ask I bought it to do my 3rd playthrough like 2 days ago haha

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Farcry 3 Blood Dragon

Very comical take on Farcry 3 and still charming on its own.

You can also hit the road with Farcry 5. Solid choice. The only downside are those forced story missions and timed missions.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
As frustrating as Far Cry 2 was, I really liked that game.

But yes as others have mentioned. 3, 4, 5 are all good.

If forced to pick one. I'd say Far Cry 5

Sounds like 3 and 4 is the right choice...
I think i'll get both.

Thanks guys, really appreciate your help!

*I have the second, but never played, got for free on xbox 360 gold.

Last edited:

D3SCHA1N

If you haven't played any of them and just want to try one, I'd say go with 4. The compliant it was too similar to 3 is fair, but it made a bevy of smaller, QoL improvements.

Scotty W

I only played a few hours of 1. It was really hard, so maybe play something else?

I always thought the Shangrila game looked fire/

Kagey K

Banned
3 has the best villian, 4 has the best open world and 5 has the most modern gameplay, having just bought and played through all of them last month, I’d suggest buying the Insanity Bundle and playing through them all. New Dawn is OK but not required.

Hopefully you redeemed Blood Dragon back when it was free with Games with Gold.

If you really want to get serious with them I bought the 5/New Dawn Gold/Ulimate Edition that comes with all the DLC and 3 remastered, and then the Pack that comes with 4/Primal.

2 purchases gets you 5 games.

Zannegan

I like 4 best, but that's just for the bow mechanics. Love me some bows and arrows in videogames.

I never actually beat the game, just ran around clearing out forts with my caveman weapons until I'd had my fill. Ubisoft stories are usually best ignored, so I felt no compulsion to find out what happened to Pinksuit McCrazy and the noble resistance.

Someday I'll probably pick up the inevitable VR rerelease and do the same thing again, lol.

Far Cry 3 is pretty good, 4 is as good... But it feels like a reskin with a few mods... Not sure which one is better for a first time player (one you made it through 3, 4 is too similar to be played right away... But 4 has more features, like flying vehicles and branching story paths, those are all badly written so 3 definitely has the better story).

So go with 4... The rest of the games are just not worth your time as far as I am concerned.

wipeout364

Far Cry 2 was the best. At the time it was like nothing else. Set in Africa it was grimy and depressing but beautiful at the same time, it had interesting side characters and mechanics. The storyline was low key but the characters and ending were perfect. The game tried to do so much and really it was far too ambitious and some of its systems collapsed under their weight and made for frustrating times. Unfortunately the game hasn’t aged well do to all the problems.

Far cry 3 gets a lot of love on here but I actually think 4 and 5 are better and in that order. Far Cry 3 is good but overhyped IMO which leads to it to be disappointing to those that play it now.

Far Cry 5 suffers from not being exotic enough, Far Cry has always had exotic locations and mid west USA seemed pretty lame. It would be interesting to see what someone from Japan or Asia thought of 5. That said Far Cry 5 plays very well and had some interesting DLC if you want more of it.

edit: just want to add, the problem with Far Cry is it’s all very repetitive from a game to game POV so I think that’s why 4 was so poorly received even though I think it’s probably the one I would recommend to someone to play, people that played three found it too similar.

Last edited:
At the time of their release, I loved the first game, FC3 (downgrade aside) was good fun, and Blood Dragon was amazing if you're into over-the-top faux 80s sci fi action. I didn't really like any of the others, tbh.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
FC2, not even debatable. Since that, it went from hardcore to childish, wacky direction. (Played them all, liked them all though, but nothing compared to that first one)

And it had a meaningful story related to real life. The villain (The Jackal) isn't even a typical villain, and got some RPG-ish storyline depending on your choices yet 100% hardcore.

Last edited:

Umbral

Far Cry 2.

It’s also the only one I’ve played, so feel free to ignore my recommendation. Everything since 2 has looked like typical Ubisoft crap. I never could finish 2 but I wanted like hell to love it. It had something special to it. Maybe just ignore my recommendation. I had to say something though.

Havoc2049

The original on the PC is great and dirt cheap. It was way better than the dumbed down console versions that came out later.

Top Bottom