• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help guys: Which Far Cry is the best in the franchise?

R6Rider

Gold Member
I've played them all except 4 and New Dawn and 3 is still my favorite. Blood Dragon was also fantastic.

Primal was good, but not great, and had some cool gameplay elements.

1 is totally forgettable, 2 was frustrating and bland, while 5 was restrictive and generic.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I've played every Far Cry game, and Far Cry 3 is easily the best. Then 4, followed by Primal if you're really desperate for something to play (or just think the idea of playing as a Caveman is cool).

Last edited:

subsmoke

4 and Primal are the only ones I've played. I loved 4 so much that I did everything there was to do in that game. Really liked the Shangri-La missions in particular.

Barakov

For me it's Far Cry 2. Outside of Primal, everything after that felt like they got progressively edgy with each one. Also, the same problem Ubisoft's current problem of designing everything like Assassin's Creed just made it worse.

Belmonte

Far Cry 2 can be repetitive, driving to the missions can be tiring or even unnerving if you are a player without much time to play. But if you buy its atmosphere and the light simulation touches, it is one of the most immersive FPSs ever. I love it. Played three years ago and stop playing all the other FPSs until I finished it. Even remembering makes me want to install it again!

From the new school of Far Cry, my favorite is Far Cry Blood Dragon. Killer setting and best protagonist!

Blood Dragon base game, Far Cry 3, is my third pick. It is a little bit less polished than FC4 but I like beaches and tropical forests.

Didn't play Far Cry 1, Primal or Instincts yet.

b0uncyfr0

Far Cry 3 is the best - modern shooter + decent enough story and great voice acting with actual believable characters.

Tschumi

Far Cry 2. Later titles became schizophrenic messes, in my opinion. Far Cry 2 is a gritty, distinct, unique game with incredible detail, thoughtful construction and great atmosphere. You don't need to do a single mission to feel like you're playing a state of the art blood diamond conflict simulator.

Edit: far Cry 1 was really fun, especially the first parts which felt like a more imposing version of LOST, but it was also a bit unfocused and occasionally bland compared with the consistency of 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
From 3 onwards they’re basically all the same game. 2 still holds up incredibly well graphically and has a real sense of being in a real place. The gameplay is pretty good, not the theme park found in the newer games but still plenty of fun.

*I have the second, but never played, got for free on xbox 360 gold.

Far Cry 2 is absolutely worth playing at least once in your life as it is the most unique in the series featuring the best atmosphere, but it's heavily flawed as is; I would not recommend the console version.

Far Cry 2 is best played on PC because the community provided several fixes and enhancements that polish the experience to a whole new level so you could fully enjoy the game while being immersed into its fantastic settings and atmosphere. Try out mods like Dylan's Far Cry 2 Realism or Far Cry 2: Redux.

Of the ones i've played, i'd rank them as:

1. Far Cry 2 (PC version, modded)
2. Far Cry 3
3. Far Cry: Blood Dragon
4. Far Cry 4
5. Far Cry (original)
6. Far Cry 5

I've played the original at release, and on and off for several years. Last i played it was quite a while ago. Generally speaking, i never liked it. I appreciate the technology that is behind it as it was a marvel at release (it's basically the spiritual predecessor to Crysis), but i did not enjoy the gunplay at all.

As Janky as it was Farcry 2 was my kind of single player experience. The world seeemed so massive and I enjoyed travelling from mission to mission without fast travelling. Heading down a river on a dark night on the way to an assination or creeping through the thick brush. You could feel the heat of the game, the sound of the environment was so perfect (I can still hear those Zebra’s).

Setting a fire and watching how it moved through the bush on a tree then up the tree was so great, especially when enemies were around. There was a lot of odd things about it, many will tell you but I was able to get very immersed in the world and not many games get me there.

adamosmaki

FC 3 by far. 2 Was repetitive and boring and anything from FC4 and after got stale and uninteresting
Also Blood Dragon is great spin off

Ribi

Farcry 2 followed by 3. People hate on 2 but other than having to pop drugs and respawning outposts the game was fuckin amazing technically, visually, and game play wise

Larxia

I got much less interested in the series after 2. 3 was cool but felt very ubisoft-ish while Far Cry 2 still felt like its own, less generic thing.
I really liked the atmosphere and world of Far Cry 2, but it obviously had some very frustrating mechanics, like the malaria or more importantly, the worst thing in the game imo, the guards constantly respawning in all camps everywhere.
The respawn of ennemies really made the game feel a lot more repetitive and annoying, I'm not even sure if I could recommend the game because of that, but I would really love a remaster with some of the features / mechanics reworked, to give it quality of life improvements among other things, it then could be a really amazing game.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i wouldn't say any of them are good...they are mediocre games with no inspiration or imagination put into them. just the same crap copied + pasted with a fresh look slapped on top.

if i had to pick one then probably 5.

FranXico

Ps4 runs better and at 1080p right? I heard Xone runs at 900p...

I didn't know that sale was on psn too...
Well, the performance and rez goes as X1X > PS4Pro > PS4 > X1. Pretty much what one would expect.

But really, it doesn't matter which platform you play it on, especially when the game just got this cheap.

Last edited:

GlockSaint

I'm playing far cry 3 and I'm having a blast (it's my second one after 2 which i hated). Since we're kinda on topic, anyone know how i can hunt safely? Seems like i keep getting ambushed by dogs and pirates everytime i go into an animal hunting ground

Laptop1991

5 for me open game world wise, i really liked Hope County to sandbox in, but not the story or story mission's, they felt detached from the world to me, i'll always remember how good 1 looked back then when i booted the game up for the 1st time, and for just the story i would pick 3 over the rest, but overall still 5

Last edited:

Shmunter

For those that liked Far Cry 2, keep an eye out for Watch Dogs Legion, it’s directed by the same guy who did FC2
Didn’t know that. But the design differences are polar opposite. Slow, methodical immersion vs digital smack for the ADD generation

Bragr

Banned
All I can say is that Far Cry 2's details are INCREDIBLE.

I always wondered about this, some games from that era, like Far Cry 2, GTA IV and Assassin's Creed 2, had a lot of details and stuff going on that was scaled back in later entries. I guess it's just harder to code and make the newer games work with all these different systems or something like that.

Seraphym

Far Cry 5 (having played 3 and 4) just refines it even more. The DLC is also good fun.
Primal and Blood Dragon are great fun, both of which I wish had full sequels.

Tschumi

Farcry 2 followed by 3. People hate on 2 but other than having to pop drugs and respawning outposts the game was fuckin amazing technically, visually, and game play wise
I can only say, considering my earlier post on this thread, but never in all my time playing FC2 did i think to myself "zounds! Respawns!"... I kind of think it added to the atmosphere to feel like you could never really make a dent in the war machine... I think the game would have lasted about 3 hours if everyone stayed dead lol.. i know you're not one of the people who complain about it, just thought I'd agree with your post and add my two cents~ FC2 far and away my #1, as i said earlier.

Saber

Gold Member
I wouldn't suggest FC4. Sure, the game is pretty but for me it was a terrbile experience altogether.

But if you want the typical "everything and everyone against your character", then I guess its ok. Just don't say I didn't warn you when you have to face spam of eagles and other enemies with heavy priority against you. Not to mention npcs passing through you with their cars.

HBx2000

My personal opinion:

Far Cry 3 = Best Story
Far Cry 4 = Best Gameplay
Far Cry 5 = Best Graphics
New Dawn = Best Co-Op

Still haven't finished Primal, I try every year to continue, but I found it to be boring quickly.
The first and second game are totally different. Don't like how they control on console.

chixdiggit

Far Cry 1: was really great for it's time. Not sure how well it holds up though.
Far Cry 2: Hated it. Seems to be a very polarizing game. Enemy A.I. was beyond frustrating.
Far Cry 3: Loved it. Tons of fun and sets the formula for the whole series.
Far Cry 4: It was good but I just couldn't get into it. I think I played it too soon after playing 3 and it felt too much of the same.
Far Cry 5: My favorite. Story is pretty crazy but very entertaining in my opinion.
Blood Dragon: It's all right I guess. A lot of people seem to love it but never bothered to finish it.
Never played Primal or New Dawn.

Starfield

For me it's Far Cry 2. Outside of Primal, everything after that felt like they got progressively edgy with each one. Also, the same problem Ubisoft's current problem of designing everything like Assassin's Creed just made it worse.
Exactly.

2 was unique and felt like you really in the african jungle. Everything after was crap. Utter Ubisoft crap.

Top Bottom