• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here’s What Half-Life 2 Looks Like With Nvidia RTX Remix

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Now, thanks to RTX Remix being released, fans can expect to see classic video games be given a visual boost. One example has been spotted by DSO Gaming, which shows Half-Life 2 through the Nvidia toolkit, specifically utilizing Path Tracing. The technology works similarly to ray tracing, in that it's used to give a much more modern appearance by improving lighting and reflections within a scene. The uploaded screenshots really do the nearly 20-year-old game justice. Anyone interested can download the RTX Remix from GitHub, and a report from PC Gamer links to a Discord server for getting started on a modding project.

Fuz

Banned
It’s looks like half-life 2 🤷‍♂️
doesn't look like Half-Life 2
yDOOy9r.gif

JackMcGunns

looks like half-life 2 🤷‍♂️
doesn't look like Half-Life 2.

That looks amazing!

It looks like an old game.
It looks like a whole new game!

seems too bright to me, or maybe just the bright bits are too bright lol.
It looks too dark. They should brighten it up.

neogaf25rugz.gif

Last edited:

Laptop1991

It does look good but at the same time it seems too bright to me, or maybe just the bright bits are too bright lol.

shiny pretty graphics doesn't make a game.

i'm sure HL in its prime was amazing and groundbreaking but i'm not going to play a game just because it looks better.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
this is good espeically because half life 2 has some flat as hell boring lighting, espeically by 2004 game standards
Doom 3 came out the exact same time and blows it out of the water in lighting

ss_15559ce8d50ad32f959531815d21b10238fb7344.1920x1080.jpg

I like the RTX implementation but i think it has a long way to go before it can really make HL2 look next gen. Still looks behind Alyx in a few areas

Last edited:

Now, thanks to RTX Remix being released, fans can expect to see classic video games be given a visual boost. One example has been spotted by DSO Gaming, which shows Half-Life 2 through the Nvidia toolkit, specifically utilizing Path Tracing. The technology works similarly to ray tracing, in that it's used to give a much more modern appearance by improving lighting and reflections within a scene. The uploaded screenshots really do the nearly 20-year-old game justice. Anyone interested can download the RTX Remix from GitHub, and a report from PC Gamer links to a Discord server for getting started on a modding project.

Not gonna lie. After playing Portal RTX. I was expecting a full blown texture remaster, similar to that. This doesn't look like they did as much in comparison (get that Portal is a much smaller game). I'll probably pass if it's just updated lighting, shadows, and reflections.

Last edited:
Top Bottom