• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces Half-Life 2 RTX with New Assets, Full Ray Tracing, DLSS 3 and RTX IO - First Comparison Images

Pey.

Half-Life 2 RTX An RTX Remix Community Project
  • Remaster by four of Half-Life 2's top mod teams, now known as Orbifold Studios
  • Full Ray Tracing, DLSS 3, RTX IO and modernized assets
  • Development has just begun — inviting modders to join the effort at nvidia.com/HalfLife2RTX
All comparison images on my website: https://www.pcmrace.com/2023/08/22/...ss-3-y-rtx-io-primeras-imagenes-comparativas/

hl2remixcompar.jpg

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Half-Life 2 RTX: An RTX Remix Project is a new community-made remaster of one of the highest-rated games of all time, Valve’s Half-Life 2. Half-Life 2 RTX is being developed by four of Half-Life 2’s top mod teams, now known as Orbifold Studios. Using the latest version of RTX Remix, the modders are leveraging NVIDIA technologies including full ray tracing, NVIDIA DLSS 3, NVIDIA Reflex, and RTX IO to deliver a fantastic experience for GeForce RTX gamers. Take a first look at the announce trailer for Half-Life 2 RTX: An RTX Remix Project.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

NVIDIA RTX Remix is a free, upcoming modding platform built on NVIDIA Omniverse, designed to enable modders to create and share #RTXON mods for classic games, each with enhanced materials, full ray tracing, NVIDIA DLSS, NVIDIA RTX IO and NVIDIA Reflex.

We released Portal with RTX, a high-fidelity reimagining of Valve’s timeless classic, as an example of what’s possible with Remix. Then, we turned the tools over to community modders who remastered Portal: Prelude. Today, we’re unveiling Half-Life 2 RTX: An RTX Remix Project, the in-development community remaster of one of the highest-rated games of all time, Valve’s Half-Life 2.

Half-Life 2 RTX: An RTX Remix Project is being developed by four of Half-Life 2’s top mod teams, now working together under the banner of Orbifold Studios. Using the latest version of RTX Remix, the modders are rebuilding materials with Physically Based Rendering (PBR) properties, adding extra geometric detail via Valve’s Hammer editor, and leveraging NVIDIA technologies including full ray tracing, DLSS 3, Reflex, and RTX IO to deliver a fantastic experience for GeForce RTX gamers. Take a first look in the announce trailer for Half-Life 2 RTX: An RTX Remix Project:

As with the Portal projects, almost every asset is being reconstructed in high fidelity, and full ray tracing (otherwise known as path tracing) is being leveraged to bring cutting-edge graphics to Half-Life 2. In Half-Life 2 RTX, average world textures have 8X the pixels, and assets like the suit feature 20X the geometric detail of the original game. You can now see the fabric weavings around the joints of the suit, and the interplay of plastics and metals that compose the chest, leg, and arm pieces.

4K Slider comparison
Upload1.png
Upload2.png

Upload3.png
Upload4.png

Upload5.png

I'd usually be right with you on the jaded old-school wagon, but it does look pretty spiffy I'll have to admit:

I think he’s being sarcastic (or at least I hope). Since this is a community mod it most likely won’t go changing full-on color schemes, gameplay mechanics, and/or music, like most remakes would do.

DaGwaphics

Obviously a huge upgrade. Though I can see people with nostalgia for the original not liking the changes, a lot of times when things swing to something a lot more realistic people have that reaction.

VN1X

Banned
Neat.

Not sure how well this would run on a 6800XT (I'm imagining not very) but it's free so yay.

ReBurn

Gold Member
This always looks bad to me. Technically it is great, but changing legendary games like this just feels wrong.
I can see why they do it, though. These games aren't technically demanding on modern hardware so they allow most of the compute resources to be allocated to visual effects. It gets people excited.

4K Slider comparison
Upload1.png
Upload2.png

Upload3.png
Upload4.png

Upload5.png
the difference here isn't just RTX on/off.

totally different models/textures.

Allandor

So weird that this is framed as an "RTX" upgrade when in reality it's entirely new models/textures/effects/etc.. on top of RT
It is the same with Q2 rtx. You do not even have a chance to compare the games with the same textures an "old Style but enhanced" lightning models. This makes direct comparisons for the tech pointless.

kiphalfton

So it's a modding project that Nvidia announced? And it sounds like it's just getting off the ground.

Meh, wake me up when it's done in 10 years (and looks just as outdated by then, as HL2 vanilla does now).

hlm666

So weird that this is framed as an "RTX" upgrade when in reality it's entirely new models/textures/effects/etc.. on top of RT
They actually upgraded the assets in portal rtx aswell, and I think the textures need to be modified to make RT work properly for diffusion/specularity/illumination etc.

Last edited:

Hugare

Megaton

Jesus, it looks incredible already

Another one from the Nvidia leak

Waiting for Bioshock/Mirrors Edge now

4K Slider comparison
Upload1.png
Upload2.png

Upload3.png
Upload4.png

Upload5.png
What Nvidia is doing with these images is scummy and the fact that people aren't calling it out is messed up. In The RTX OFF image, they show the old game with no upgrades. In the RTX ON image, they show a game with significant asset upgrades and RT on top. It's slimy and it's the same tactics certain news sites use. It's an unlike comparison. It should be the game with new assets and rt off compared with the game with new assets and rt on. The upgrades shown are far more than RT alone.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
why not just wait and throw a few people at least an HL2 episode 3 with RT?

Last edited:
Top Bottom