• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces Half-Life 2 RTX with New Assets, Full Ray Tracing, DLSS 3 and RTX IO - First Comparison Images

Ivan

There's a new 15 year old every day that didn't ever play old games like this. Remaking this game like this is only a great thing.
Would "fixing" Terminator 2 for new generation be a great thing? I don't think so. But I can play old versions, so... Not a big deal.

Perrott

Gold Member
Let's fucking go.

Arkham Knight, BioShock and Mirror's Edge are next, according to the Nvidia leak.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Would "fixing" Terminator 2 for new generation be a great thing? I don't think so. But I can play old versions, so... Not a big deal.

A video game and a movie are to totally different things. But they did put Terminator 2 on Blu-ray in 4K, so there's that.

If they do a good job, let them make HL3.

If Valve had released Half-Life 3 a long time ago, they would had to bring something we never seen before, in Half Life 2 you got physics and facial animations that were very advanced in 2004

Besides you can see the huge leap between Half Life 1 to Half Life 2

Moses85

left: soul
right: soulless
spongebob squarepants bullshit GIF

mrcroket

RTX on/off in this case is a bit misleading, because it is not only raytracing but all the assets, textures, models, shaders... It makes sense being sponsored by nvidia though.

StereoVsn

Black Mesa was great for HL1 Remake. Hopefully this will do the same for HL2.

I also need to accept the fact and grab a 4080 or something sooner vs later and get rid of my 3080Ti :(.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Last edited:
They could make HL3 if they wanted to. The question is if it would be worth the wait.
The main issue with making Half Life 3 is that it's an extremely tall order to meet the fans expectations. If I remember correctly, I believe Valve actually said somewhere right before HL Alyx came out that it would be humanly impossible for them to meet the expectations of the fans. I don't know if that is the sole reason why it's not being made. I believe it was in development at some point, but then they scrapped it for whatever reason.

Last edited:

CGNoire

So weird that this is framed as an "RTX" upgrade when in reality it's entirely new models/textures/effects/etc.. on top of RT
Its an "RTX Remix" upgrade meaning the devs have access to auto ai upscaleing of textures and provides an easy way to edit and replace models accross the game.

Although admitingly they seem to be using there own custom models and texture work here.

Hudo

will they also touch the animations? Because some of them haven't aged that well, which will only become more apparent if the assets are remade in higher quality.

Denton

Funnily enough, Cameron did go and "fix" terminator 2 to improve its CGI effect flaws and crafted a 3D version, for its anniversary.
I saw this fixed version in cinema and it was probably the greatest cinematic experience of my life. What a masterpiece, and improved to boot.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Chapters:
--------------
00:00 - Intro
00:38 - Introducing our guests!
2:32 - What's the team's design philosophy on this project?
3:21 - Will there be more polygons or just texture & lighting updates?
6:43 - What are the ratios of Nvidia's work vs community's work?
15:21 - Does Valve have any involvement in it?
16:14 - Will it be possible to play mods with this?
18:06 - What's the process of remaking textures?
19:46 - How will the human characters be remastered?
20:52 - How will you deal with the player model?
21:56 - How will you deal with optimization (since Portal RTX had problems with it)?
24:26 - How hard is it to stay faithful to the game's original art direction?
26:25 - Will any HL:A models be reused for this project?
26:56 - HL2 RTX Project vs Remade Assets Project - Are they two different things?
27:44 - What's the biggest obstacle when developing RTX for games?
28:55 - What's the most interesting part of the game (in terms of remastering it)?
30:45 - Will it work for HL2 VR?
31:47 - How many polygons is the Lamarr model in the trailer?
34:20 - Where do we learn more about the project and keep up with updates?
35:00 - Outro

Top Bottom