• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's what happened to Microsoft's Xbox VR gaming headset.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.cnet.com/news/heres-what-happened-to-microsofts-xbox-vr-gaming-headset/

Earlier this year, however, Microsoft started telling partners it was putting its Xbox headset plans on hold. Two people familiar with Microsoft's thinking said the company decided to wait until promising new tech like wireless headsets were more feasible. Today, high-end headsets like Sony's $299 PlayStation VR, Facebook's $399 Oculus Rift and and HTC's $499 Vive rely on long and bulky wires plugged into their respective devices in order to work. Wireless adapters meanwhile, add about $300 in cost.

The move wasn't much of a surprise to partners and those briefed on the device, considering Microsoft has largely stuck to a supporting role during VR's recent renaissance, led by Sony, HTC, Steam game store owner Valve and Facebook's Oculus VR. And you could argue it's a smart strategy.

So far, the VR market has struggled to win over a mass market of consumers. Analysts believe Sony has sold the most high-end VR headsets, tallying 3 million PlayStation VRs sold since that product's launch in 2016. In May, Facebook released its $199 Oculus Go, a midlevel standalone VR headset. Though Facebook declined to disclose sales data, SuperData Research estimates it sold 289,000 units in the three months ended in June. That may not seem like much when stacked against the 41.3 million iPhones Apple sold during that same time, but the researcher said it's better than what Facebook's higher-end Oculus Rift did in the second half of 2017.

All told, VR today is a mixed bag. "Virtual reality may yet become a massive mainstream hit, but it's not going to happen with this generation of tech," CNET's Dan Ackerman wrote in April. "It's time to throw in the towel."

JORMBO

Darkness no more
For me the technology needs a resolution bump and to cut all the cables. I’m really excited for whatever they do with the next generation of VR. The technology is really interesting and opens the door for a lot of creativity, but is still very early. I don’t blame MS for waiting a bit and focusing on other things.

That’s assuming I can get over motion sickness. A lot of games make me want to vomit badly.

WaterAstro

They had the hololens and the mixed reality set. A bunch of developers even made games for the hololens.

They like to invest and squander it all. Too late to the party probably.

octiny

Banned
MS going the Apple route, in terms of waiting for new technology to flesh out & mature before incorporating it. Can't say I blame them when it comes to VR.

dirthead

Banned
As far as I can tell, the situation for VR is looking pretty grim with 0 killer apps and nothing really compelling in the pipeline. I think it's going to be a "third time's the charm" for VR. After it craps out again this time, lies dormant for another 10-20 years, the technology might finally be there for it next time.

Pallas

They had the hololens and the mixed reality set. A bunch of developers even made games for the hololens.

They like to invest and squander it all. Too late to the party probably.

How did they squander it all? Hololens was never made to be a gaming device first, it was made to be a tool for large corporations, hence the price tag. The article clearly stated why they waited on a VR headset. I don’t consider it too late for the VR party or a wasted investment.

The article implies that they are waiting, not giving up.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm still using mine. It's still pretty expensive. I'm not too concerned, I know Oculus is playing the long game, and the support is great thus far for us few with the device.

I'm certainly excited to see where the technology and software goes.

It'll keep getting cheaper.

WaterAstro

How did they squander it all? Hololens was never made to be a gaming device first, it was made to be a tool for large corporations, hence the price tag. The article clearly stated why they waited on a VR headset. I don’t consider it too late for the VR party or a wasted investment.

Haha, waiting? That's funny.

Meanwhile, these developers that have invested into hololens are just twiddling their thumbs "waiting" for Microsoft to actually sell the damn thing, or they're just going to just give up on Microsoft entirely with their pointless ventures.

DryvBy

For me the technology needs a resolution bump and to cut all the cables. I’m really excited for whatever they do with the next generation of VR. The technology is really interesting and opens the door for a lot of creativity, but is still very early. I don’t blame MS for waiting a bit and focusing on other things.

That’s assuming I can get over motion sickness. A lot of games make me want to vomit badly.

Resolution bump with Sony's helmet would be amazing. The PSVR has practically no screen door effect and looks amazing but the tech needs some work. The tracking is a major problem and disruptive during gameplay.

Skyrim is my favorite VR game so far. I never thought I'd play again and then I just started again. But once I get on a horse, blurg. Game turns into vomit city.

bitbydeath

I recall they tried and this was all they could accomplish on XB1.

45832_08_oculus-rift-include-xbox-one-controller-box.png

It's just not powerful enough for VR.

Tarkus98

I’m actually a little bit surprised they are taking a wait and see approach. I mean it’s absolutely the smart choice as right now they should be focusing on next gen. Lining up new 1st party exclusives, expanding their in house studios, and improving their 3rd party Japanese relationships (all of which they are doing a great job of).
They can always jump onto the VR train when they feel the timing is right - for them. They seem to be focusing on all the things they really need to nail down right now so good for them.
Now if they can just shut Greenberg down a notch or two...

That's already happened. Wireless transmitter with the Vive Pro almost eliminates the screen door effect entirely. It looks really good.
Pimax 5K/8K release this year, will have an optional wireless transmitter and increase to 200 degree FOV, have the new Lighthouse tech, new Knuckles controller design by Valve and increase the resolution to 1440p/4K per eye.

As for killer apps, I think there's several already.

Sairento (Warframe VR)
Onward (ARMA/Rainbow Six Siege VR)
Pavlov (Counter Strike VR)
Beatsaber
GORN
Robo Recall
EVE Valkyrie
Star Trek Bridge Crew
Budget Cuts
Lone Echo/Echo Arena
OrbusVR (MMO)
A lot of these are just "____ but in VR" but that makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned

Not sure what the picture is supposed to illustrate in regards to the "it's not powerful enough" comment. Neither system can do it. It actually requires a lot more GPU grunt to render a virtual screen within a 3D rendered virtual cinema. You're rendering the game, 3D cinema on TOP of streaming to the virtual cinema & whatever super-sampling being used. Bigscreen Beta is definitely the best at this on PC, but it works my Titan XP's to the extreme in 4K trying to render games versus using just a black void with my Samsung Odyssey. Hence why the PS4 doesn't offer it even with the low resolution, only a black void. SImply not enough grunt.

Next-gen should give a much better experience in this regard.

Elenchus

Banned

Meanwhile, these developers that have invested into hololens are just twiddling their thumbs "waiting" for Microsoft to actually sell the damn thing, or they're just going to just give up on Microsoft entirely with their pointless ventures.

Meanwhile Sony greedily rushed to market with half baked hardware and no killer app and ended up with egg on their face. Their reliance on brand loyalty finally ran into a brick wall when they asked people to spend $400 to play Job Simulator.

Final Zero Hour launches tonight and it didn’t even merit a thread here because no one gives a shit. Search for the game on Twitter and it had almost no tweets today. Should be called Zero Hype. Dead on arrival edition. MS sitting back and waiting for wireless makes all the sense in the world.

It takes a special kind of idiot to believe that Sony’s nightmarish wired leviathan would ever reach mass market penetration. And given how little time they devoted to PSVR at E3 I’d start digging that grave in the desert now.

Inviusx

The big test will be if the hype for VR survives the transition from hobby grade to consumer grade. Im talking about all the upcoming improvements like better optics, increased FOV and fully wireless headsets. Right now it's waaay to expensive to jump on board unless you're in it for the love of the hobby.

If we get a cheaper, consumer ready wireless headset with a smaller form factor and better optics in 3-4 years then I think VR will have another resurgence.

As a Rift owner, from my experience what's lacking is software and intractability, like having a sense of bodily presence, as well as solutions to minimize nausea and headaches. I don't have that big a space, so the cords are no big deal, barely notice them when I'm in the zone. While I see the screen, I don't feel like it ruins my sense of presence, so I don't know if that's so high on what's important to me. I'd say god rays is a far bigger problem than the screen resolution for me, but even then that's usually only a problem now and then.

So for me I don't really see the point of "throwing in the towel", as VR is definitely not something to be put away or postponed. Sony is currently in the right price range at least, but I imagine that like with a lot of their side efforts, the prioritization is terrible and their timing terrible. I can definitely say that my Rift was worth every dollar, so would've been cool to see Microsoft outdo Sony on VR.

dirthead

Banned
Meanwhile Sony greedily rushed to market with half baked hardware and no killer app and ended up with egg on their face. Their reliance on brand loyalty finally ran into a brick wall when they asked people to spend $400 to play Job Simulator.

Final Zero Hour launches tonight and it didn’t even merit a thread here because no one gives a shit. Search for the game on Twitter and it had almost no tweets today. Should be called Zero Hype. Dead on arrival edition. MS sitting back and waiting for wireless makes all the sense in the world.

It takes a special kind of idiot to believe that Sony’s nightmarish wired leviathan would ever reach mass market penetration. And given how little time they devoted to PSVR at E3 I’d start digging that grave in the desert now.

Sony has a long history of absolutely terrible peripherals. No idea why anyone expected their VR helmet to be any different.

Kagey K

Banned
I love ❤️ how many of these VR games are the same type of games people shit all over Kinect about. On Rail Shooters, Tech Demos etc,etc.

It’s a fun novelty for a bit, but once the novelty wears off there isn’t much else. It’s too expensive for what it offers now, and I’m hoping that within my lifetime it will get there, but it’s nowhere near close enough yet.

Pallas

The standard Xbox one isn’t strong enough but the One X clearly is,

Why would developers invest in games for a $3000-$5000 device whose main point isn’t even gaming, unless you meant a separate, hypotherical and non-existent device that isn’t Hololens. In which case, why invest into something that doesn’t exist? If you thought they’re release an affordable hololens, that’s probably years away.

I love ❤️ how many of these VR games are the same type of games people shit all over Kinect about. On Rail Shooters, Tech Demos etc,etc.

It’s a fun novelty for a bit, but once the novelty wears off there isn’t much else. It’s too expensive for what it offers now, and I’m hoping that within my lifetime it will get there, but it’s nowhere near close enough yet.
Have you actually played a VR game? The difference between a Kinect/Wiimote game and a VR on rail shooter is the accuracy. The tracking in VR is already so good (on Oculus/Vive), I can't imagine how it could get even better.
Also I got an Oculus Rift last year during Prime Day for $399 + 7 games + an Xbox One controller + Touch Controllers + $100 Amazon Gift Card. That was a $600 headset 15 months prior, plus a bunch of games plus a controller setup that was $199 standalone after the Oculus had already launched.

VR is already affordable. Especially with a good sale.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Have you actually played a VR game? The difference between a Kinect/Wiimote game and a VR on rail shooter is the accuracy. The tracking in VR is already so good (on Oculus/Vive), I can't imagine how it could get even better.
Also I got an Oculus Rift last year during Prime Day for $399 + 7 games + an Xbox One controller + Touch Controllers + $100 Amazon Gift Card. That was a $600 headset 15 months prior, plus a bunch of games plus a controller setup that was $199 standalone after the Oculus had already launched.

VR is already affordable. Especially with a good sale.
I have a few friends with PSVR and they were all happy to show it off when they first got it, so yes I’ve played lots. Never mind all the times in the 80’s and 90’s at different shows that tried to sell me the same thing, but with wire frames instead of graphics.

I’m still not convinced though. The fact that they were discounting it like that I think says all that needs to be said.

I haven’t played one game, that I would call a game,built only for vr that I thought was a game changer. It’s just not convincing as a piece of tech yet. I feel the same way as I felt about 3D (again) a few years ago.

I’ve watched this 3D/VR dance a few times since I was a kid and in the end....

It’s getting better, but still not ready for the big show.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, the situation for VR is looking pretty grim with 0 killer apps and nothing really compelling in the pipeline. I think it's going to be a "third time's the charm" for VR. After it craps out again this time, lies dormant for another 10-20 years, the technology might finally be there for it next time.
Stop assumming things with no basis. You haven't even bothered to look.

There are 5 AAA VR exclusives on the way. Again, actually do research and see that the tech only needs a few years of refinement to be there for the average gamer.

I love how people like this judge one or two games and think that's how VR is. Do yourself a favor and go play Lone Echo / Echo VR and then play any Kinect title of your choosing. The game is far above anything ever offered on Kinect, and that's merely the start of things to come.

I have a few friends with PSVR and they were all happy to show it off when they first got it, so yes I’ve played lots. Never mind all the times in the 80’s and 90’s at different shows that tried to sell me the same thing, but with wire frames instead of graphics.

I’m still not convinced though. The fact that they were discounting it like that I think says all that needs to be said.

I haven’t played one game, that I would call a game,built only for vr that I thought was a game changer. It’s just not convincing as a piece of tech yet. I feel the same way as I felt about 3D (again) a few years ago.

I’ve watched this 3D/VR dance a few times since I was a kid and in the end....

It’s getting better, but still not ready for the big show.
In other words, you've barely experienced VR.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Not sure what the picture is supposed to illustrate

This was the closest the XB1 could get to accomplishing VR due to not having hardware built for it unlike PSVR.

“Pallas” said:
The standard Xbox one isn’t strong enough but the One X clearly is

Yep, it’d mean splitting the userbase though. I’m sure they’ll jump in next gen.

Last edited:

I like PSVR a lot, but the thing about VR is that it's about more than the headset. PSVR you mostly get 'cockpit style' experiences with fairly traditional game interactions, or a little bit more than that if you have the move controllers - this is cool (and I still really like Battlezone, for example) - but the full room-scale 3D space that you get with Vive is something else entirely.

Playing Tilt Brush or Fantastic Contraption on Vive - you start to realise a lot of it is about that space, rather than just the view of it. Being able to reach down & pick something up and then move it around as if it's really there is the bigger jump in VR than the headset, imo. I mean, obviously you need the headset for that to work well & it's about how they work in conjunction, I guess. Having a virtual working space like you get in Tilt Brush / Fantastic Contraption is really something. I'm sure there are more impressive examples of this kind of interaction, too.

Kagey K

Banned
I love how people like this judge one or two games and think that's how VR is. Do yourself a favor and go play Lone Echo / Echo VR and then play any Kinect title of your choosing. The game is far above anything ever offered on Kinect, and that's merely the start of things to come.

In other words, you've barely experienced VR.
So since you think I’ve barely experienced it. Tell me about your ownership of vr. What day did you buy it, and how many hours a week now do u use it?

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance

What are you waffling on about?

RE7 - Skyrim VR - Wipeout VR - Dirt Rally VR to name but a few are all AAA titles and bloody amazing too.

What exactly do you mean by half-baked? Upon release PSVR had the least screen door effect than any of the competitors, it looks great and cleans well. I know, I have them all.
Its reliable and runs really well with ZERO stuttering. Yes the cabling is an issue, but once setup its fine.

I will say the PS Move controllers should have been upgraded to incorporate a thumbstick though. A big shame on that front.

You simply haven't got a clue what you are talking about.

In fact, you should be grateful for Sony's efforts, having sold over 3 million sets to consumers, it provides developers more incentive to add VR features to games, or hell build entire games purely for VR across multiple platforms which benefits all $$$.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I like PSVR a lot, but the thing about VR is that it's about more than the headset. PSVR you mostly get 'cockpit style' experiences with fairly traditional game interactions, or a little bit more than that if you have the move controllers - this is cool (and I still really like Battlezone, for example) - but the full room-scale 3D space that you get with Vive is something else entirely.

Playing Tilt Brush or Fantastic Contraption on Vive - you start to realise a lot of it is about that space, rather than just the view of it. Being able to reach down & pick something up and then move it around as if it's really there is the bigger jump in VR than the headset, imo. I mean, obviously you need the headset for that to work well & it's about how they work in conjunction, I guess. Having a virtual working space like you get in Tilt Brush / Fantastic Contraption is really something. I'm sure there are more impressive examples of this kind of interaction, too.
I’m not sure what to say to this...

I don’t know anybody so crazy as to spend that kind of money on a rig for vr experiences.
Ususally when they try to show off their pc it’s on games I’m already playing and why I’m missing out. The last thing they do is offer me a pc VR experience.

Perhaps that’s not why I’m convinced yet, but you won’t see me shelling out for it either.

So since you think I’ve barely experienced it. Tell me about your ownership of vr. What day did you buy it, and how many hours a week now do u use it?
I bought an Oculus Rift in July 2016. I still play VR 3-4 hours daily.

You absolutely have to try games like Lone Echo, Moss, Hellblade, to see how great VR is.

octiny

Banned
This was the closest the XB1 could get to accomplishing VR due to not having hardware built for it unlike PSVR.

That literally makes no sense and completely ignores what I said. If you take that picture seriously, which it seems like you do lol, then Xbox would have no problem with it. However, neither console is able to achieve that in VR at a playable frame rate. As I said before, rendering a native "non-vr downgraded" game in the background on top of the OS, streaming it into a virtual screen within a 3D rendered virtual environment is just not possible with the current consoles. Hence, why PS4's Cinema Mode offers no environment while also having major drift issues due to allocation restraints (widespread all over the internet) when in that mode on the medium & large settings.

Windows Mixed Reality headset technology was specifically built by MS for 3rd parties to release it as their own under the WMR brand, all to help spread the adoption rate of VR without getting "too" involved. If they really wanted to, they could've easily released one for Xbox. It's currently by far the easiest to set-up w/ just 1 cable & requires just a 1050 Ti for "recommended" specs @ 2880x1600 resolution, not minimum. Considering the stronger CPU in X1 allowing to push the FR's slighty higher, it would've been easily feasible @ 1080P with slight downgrades in graphics versus say a PSVR port. Worth it? No.

Why push VR on a woefully under powered system, like Sony did, for an experience that's not even matured yet, even on PC? Is it cool to experience? Hell yeah, I love my Odyssey, but the tech simply isn't there yet for mass adoption, especially for consoles. MS took a different route for adoption, which is why we have WMR. There's a reason why we're not hearing much about PSVR from Sony lately. More power, higher resolution screens, lighter weight, better lenses/FOV, flawless setup, bigger adoption rate & so on is exactly what MS is waiting for & I don't blame them. They are using the Apple strategy in terms of waiting for tech to mature, in relation to VR on console. I praise what Sony has done, bringing more people into VR at a relatively cheap cost, but we still have a ways to go.

Regarding MS & Xbox VR, contrary to what you said, It has nothing to do with "hardware built" for VR lol. Definitely was a business decision if you want to be objective about it, but at the same time they're also helping spread VR adoption with WMR just as Sony is with PSVR. Each company is just going a different way about it at the moment.

Last edited:

The only thing funny is your attitude in any topic related to Microsoft, and how is it too late to join the party when that party has very little audience? Sony has already shown you don't have to launch with the hardware, VR can be added later on. Once big developers start supporting it that is likely when Microsoft will too. One big title from Capcom is not going to do it. Microsoft also has the funds to constantly do R&D on products.

That literally makes no sense and completely ignores what I said. If you take that picture seriously, which it seems like you do lol, then Xbox would have no problem with it. However, neither console is able to achieve that in VR at a playable frame rate. As I said before, rendering a native "non-vr downgraded" game in the background on top of the OS, streaming it into a virtual screen within a 3D rendered virtual environment is just not possible with the current consoles. Hence, why PS4's Cinema Mode offers no environment while also having major drift issues due to allocation restraints (widespread all over the internet) when in that mode on the medium & large settings.

Windows Mixed Reality headset technology was specifically built by MS for 3rd parties to release it as their own under the WMR brand, all to help spread the adoption rate of VR without getting "too" involved. If they really wanted to, they could've easily released one for Xbox. It's currently by far the easiest to set-up w/ just 1 cable & requires just a 1050 Ti for "recommended" specs @ 2880x1600 resolution, not minimum. Considering the stronger CPU in X1 allowing to push the FR's slighty higher, it would've been easily feasible @ 1080P with slight downgrades in graphics versus say a PSVR port. Worth it? No.

Why push VR on a woefully under powered system, like Sony did, for an experience that's not even matured yet, even on PC? Is it cool to experience? Hell yeah, I love my Odyssey, but the tech simply isn't there yet for mass adoption, especially for consoles. MS took a different route for adoption, which is why we have WMR. There's a reason why we're not hearing much about PSVR from Sony lately. More power, higher resolution screens, lighter weight, better lenses/FOV, flawless setup, bigger adoption rate & so on is exactly what MS is waiting for & I don't blame them. They are using the Apple strategy in terms of waiting for VR to mature, console wise. I praise what Sony has done, bringing more people into VR at a lower cost, but we still have a ways to go.

Regarding MS & Xbox VR, contrary to what you said, It has nothing to do with "hardware built" for VR lol. Definitely was a business decision if you want to be objective about it, but at the same time they're also helping spread VR adoption with WMR just as Sony is with PSVR. Each company is just going a different way about it at the moment.

Exactly. PS4 Pro users have to have the same experience as regular PS4 players, which means games like GT Sport become a watered down experience with only one on one racing. How is that good marketing?

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
They were smart to avoid a VR market where the hype has died dramatically and Sony probably gobbled up most consumers that were passionate about a console VR solution and already bought a PSVR. But even Sony who got out ahead and has seen some success here is only selling to a small fraction of their install base.

The tech and the games aren't ready for mainstream. MS saw this and made a wise pivot away from VR this gen. Especially in a post-Kinect 2 Xbox world, they likely wished to avoid anything like gimmicks and get back to their meat and potatoes after a disappointing launch, I'd guess.

Morinaga

Once they cure the sickness of VR, then maybe it will have more chance.

Then of course some games actually worth playing.

Alien isolation would have been fantastic.
A full Star wars game would have been excellent. Instead of 1 level in Battlefront.
A decent driving game maybe.

I bought a bunch of games for the PSVR and its kinect all over again (to be fair though, VR does actually work, unlike kinect which barely worked)

Elenchus

Banned
Truth is the locomotion issues with VR will likely never be solved and the on rails or teleportation mechanics make for really really lame games. I have zero interest in VR and would much prefer for MS to focus it’s resources elsewhere. I know they will probably jump in but it would be far better to just allow third party headset compatibility and to use that cash to buy more content.

Pantz

It will never die while VR Porn is around. Just going to get better over time and eventually games will catch on more too.

Three

That's why it showed up at E3 I guess because it was for businesses. The whole thing was vaporware designed to do what vaporware does. Stop the competition gaining more traction and your company looking like it's behind. I had some intense arguments with the usual suspects here when I said they will never see hololens or any kind of VR on the xbox one but they believed it was coming.

Last edited:
Once they cure the sickness of VR, then maybe it will have more chance.

Then of course some games actually worth playing.

Alien isolation would have been fantastic.
A full Star wars game would have been excellent. Instead of 1 level in Battlefront.
A decent driving game maybe.

I bought a bunch of games for the PSVR and its kinect all over again (to be fair though, VR does actually work, unlike kinect which barely worked)
There are games worth playing. Practically anyone who looks for content will find something worth playing.

Alien Isolation VR works through a very quick 30 second mod install.

Wipeout is one of the best VR racing games. There are plenty of sim-racing games too.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Give it another 5 years and I might jump in, it's done nothing for me yet. I haven't played wireless free yet either and wouldn't even consider it until that was the standard with massive resolution bump.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
Stop assumming things with no basis. You haven't even bothered to look.

There are 5 AAA VR exclusives on the way. Again, actually do research and see that the tech only needs a few years of refinement to be there for the average gamer.

I've looked at the games. All crap. None of them are going to move hardware.

I've looked at the games. All crap. None of them are going to move hardware.
4 of those 5 AAA games have no gameplay unveiled, so it's completely unknown whether they can move hardware. But knowing Valve, it's likely they will.
And maybe try actually you know, playing the games that are out instead of only looking at them? Come back when you've played Lone Echo / Echo VR, Moss, Hellblade, Alien Isolation. When you've done those four, lets talk about how wrong you were about all of them being crap.

Watching a video is no indication of a VR game, so try games before writing them off.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
4 of those 5 AAA games have no gameplay unveiled, so it's completely unknown whether they can move hardware. But knowing Valve, it's likely they will.
And maybe try actually you know, playing the games that are out instead of only looking at them? Come back when you've played Lone Echo / Echo VR, Moss, Hellblade, Alien Isolation. When you've done those four, lets talk about how wrong you were about all of them being crap.

Watching a video is no indication of a VR game, so try games before writing them off.

haha you're counting the supposed Valve VR games?

iu

giphy.gif

Somewhat hard for me to believe that the same company that thought this horseshit was a good idea (twice) couldn’t put some eggs in the VR basket.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

One X is the strongest console atm but ok.

But I'm glad they don't focus on this niche market. Sony proved that the market is small, so no idea in investing in it.

After having a PSVR for over a month now, I will strongly suggest if you see a sale grab one, spend some actual time with it before casting it aside as another waggle-like gimmic. Microsoft is leaving money on the table with this, its not Kinect but the communities that support VR are loyal and have embraced it through all its flaws because we honestly enjoy it. Sure VR is only first gen but it wasn't so far back that we had things like Atari and the original NES and how many people on these boards did that 'wow' at the time. Its definitely not a fad, in just over a month I've built up a collection of close to 20 games, each game offering a different experience, its pretty easy to find your appetite for new content as this medium really starts to put your imagination into overdrive.

I was fortunate as I didn't really feel motion sickness and thats coming from someone born without a left ear drum, I was maybe abit disoriented at first but having my VR legs under me now, its pretty easy to get lost in games like a full 3D platformer such as Moss. Feeling like a bad ass in Superhot VR, dodging bullets and dual wielding shotguns, scaring the shit out of yourself playing Resident Evil 7 being chased around by the Bakers or letting out the frustrations of your work day, whipping donuts and anything else you can grab, to throw across the office in Job Simulator.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, we only get to the upgraded versions of VR that are wireless, seamless and as close to flawless as we imagine by supporting this generation and the generations to come, just as we all have with console and PC gaming over the years. PSVR has easily been the most innovative gaming purchase I've made in years, it won't replace regular/ flat gaming but its earned its own place for me personally and I can't wait to tell my grand kids one day in the future, that I was on board with the first gen of VR.

I'm glad they didn't bother doing a PSVR copycat solution. PSVR is a mess of wires and not particularly good. I'm sure Phil wants a VR solution that is at most 1 cable, higher fidelity/frame rate and doesn't cause motion sickness. These are difficult problems to solve and let's not kid ourselves. We're looking at XBox VR not launching probably until 2022/2023.

Calibos

"Here's what happened to Microsoft's Xbox VR gaming headset."

They Waited.

Why is there any issue here? I'd rather they wait and figure out their other shit first, which they seem to be doing. The VR market isn't booming and exploding quite yet(according to analysts) so it's probably news to their investor's ears.

Last edited:
Top Bottom