• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey Atlus, want a lot of $$$? make a Shin Megami Tensei "Monster Hunter Clone".

Majestad

Banned
The world only needs one "Monster Hunter clone" that still hasn't happened: a MH clone set in the Shin Megami Tensei universe.

It blows my mind that Atlus hasn't done anything even remotely similar. The Shin Megami Tensei World is PERFECT for a game of that style. Just imagine, you wandering around the post apocalyptic streets of Tokyo, battling huge King Frosts, Beelzebubs, Azuras, Orcus, Maras, etc. Just the idea of it makes me drool.

957961-mara.jpg

Tell me you don't wanna fight this mofo in real time action combat?

So yeah Atlus, make a Shin Megami Tensei MH clone and watch it become your most successful franchise.

PS: Atlus, if you are reading this, make a Miiverse community for SMTIV!

BlackJace

Er, didn't Devil Summoner scratch the ARPG for Megaten?

And monster hunter is kind of slow paced combat, is it not?

Majestad

Banned
Er, didn't Devil Summoner scratch the ARPG for Megaten?

And monster hunter is kind of slow paced combat, is it not?

But there haven't been any games similar to that series in a long ass time. Might as well do it again with one of the most popular genres in Japan.

Dugna

Think some people in older thread they said they would like an SMT action game or a Persona one that has you shifting demons to change weapons and abilities, they linked some picture of Nero from DMC4.

BlackJace

But there haven't been any games similar to that series in a long ass time. Might as well do it again with one of the most popular genres in Japan.

Just to be clear, I'm not explicitly against this proposal, it's just something I wouldn't think Atlus would see as a worthy game.

More Megaten is never a bad thing though.

There is nothing about OP's post I like... literally nothing.

Not everything has to be a clone of something else successful, and going into single style direct combat with a giant penis monster who (if I understand monster hunter correctly) I then have to chop up to make armor out of.... just no.

213372bu

Banned
*Throws Up*

Nope, nope.

Honestly, SMT games aren't really meant to be in that type of sub-genre at all.

If we're being real, Pokemon would make more sense, but they'd never do it because you have to "kill","skin", and "make weapons with body parts" of pet like animals, which would cause the mass media to totally damage the brand.

Shengar

Why put it as "Monster Hunter Clones" instead of hunting action game instead? Then shouldn't we said every FPS game as "Doom Clones" instead and coined as the proper genre name?
And no, Atlus doesn't have much expertise at developing Action games, and Devil Summoner shows that. Hunting action isn't just as simple as putting big ass monsters in arena and four random hunters ganging up to defeat it.

jony_m

Why would you even mention this OP, don't give them the wrong ideas
What they need is to double down on their PS2 > Vita ports (Nocturne plz)

because that is what i like

Alfredo

I really don't have enough interest in Monster Hunter to actually play it.

But I would have greater interest in playing this because it would have monsters I am familiar with.

ZeroX03

Banned
I read the title as make a Shin Megami Tensei "Monster Rancher Clone" and was like fuck yes!

Now I'm disappointed.

Toxi

Banned
The world only needs one "Monster Hunter clone" that still hasn't happened: a MH clone set in the Shin Megami Tensei universe.
I'd really enjoy another one though.
tumblr_lwkedn440w1qkf4ubo1_500.jpg

If we're being real, Pokemon would make more sense, but they'd never do it because you have to "kill","skin", and "make weapons with body parts" of pet like animals, which would cause the mass media to totally damage the brand.
You would instead have to knock them out, and when they faint, you take only the parts you need before they wake up. The rest grows back.

Capturing them lets you harvest parts that take longer to carve out, and also allows you to breed them for companions (Instead of Felynes).

Or maybe capturing them would be mandatory, but capturing them with more health gives you certain rewards for your skill and efficiency.

Soriku

Has Atlus even made any games with realtime combat? I'm not sure they'd be good at it.

They made the Raidou games and Maken Shao. Raidou 1 and Maken are mixed, but Raidou 2 is awesome. One of the best SMT games IMHO. Combat is pretty fun, bosses are well designed, soundtrack is godly, story is good. Graphics aren't so hot but the prerendered backgrounds are good.

It came late in the PS2's life and it's not Persona/ a main SMT so not many played it :/ But I highly highly recommend it.

I would love a game that is actually good this time.

Stop hating on Raidou mang :p

Con_Smith

Banned
Naw they should make an Animorphs game. I'm sure they could as it deals with teens in fucked up situations. Just switch demons/gods with animals/aliens and boom.

cacildo

SMT deserves some kind of upgrade in its combat system. The rpg style battle is dragging the game down. And the setting is too good, deseves to keep going

Flipyap

*Throws Up*

Nope, nope.

Honestly, SMT games aren't really meant to be in that type of sub-genre at all.

Some (Many? Most?) Monster Hunter clones actually skip the whole hunting and skinning part (which is insane, because that's the most interesting part of the entire genre concept), so that's probably not the thing that would prevent this from happening.

But the Shin Megami Tensei idea was far superior anyway. I, for one, would love to chop up a huge dick and make a fancy hat out of it.

It would be cool if instead of having the traditional weapons classes like most MonHun-likes do you would ingest Magatama but rather than simply gain different abilities, stranthes and weaknesses you shift forms like the cast of the Digital Devil Saga.

Soriku

SMT deserves some kind of upgrade in its combat system. The rpg style battle is dragging the game down. And the setting is too good, deseves to keep going

What is an RPG style battle system? You mean turn based? It's fine.

Also Mara armor would be interesting...

duckroll

Anyone who has actually played the Raidou games will know this is a terrible idea. Atlus doesn't seem to have designers who are actually good at implementing to designing action mechanics. A poor action game that is designed just to cash in on a popular genre is never a good idea. They have limited resources as a company and should focus on what their fans actually like from them and what they're good at.

Soriku

It would be cool if instead of having the traditional weapons classes like most MonHun-likes do you would ingest Magatama but rather than simply gain different abilities, stranthes and weaknesses you shift forms like the cast of the Digital Devil Saga.

Only if they let you change form into other demons, and not just one form like DDS. DDS had no demon fusion which was a missed opportunity IMO.

Anyone who has actually played the Raidou games will know this is a terrible idea. Atlus doesn't seem to have designers who are actually good at implementing to designing action mechanics. A poor action game that is designed just to cash in on a popular genre is never a good idea. They have limited resources as a company and should focus on what their fans actually like from them

Raidou 2 was good and impressions were positive, so not really.

Anyone who has actually played the Raidou games will know this is a terrible idea. Atlus doesn't seem to have designers who are actually good at implementing to designing action mechanics. A poor action game that is designed just to cash in on a popular genre is never a good idea. They have limited resources as a company and should focus on what their fans actually like from them and what they're good at.

I was going to post something similar to this, haha.

Anyways, Terrible Idea.

sphagnum

Banned

I've never understood why this has to be the case. The Pokemon universe has all sorts of wacky future technology. Just beat up the Pokemon you're hunting until you capture it with a Pokeball, then bring it to a Pokemon center/Professor's lab and have them scan the Pokemon in some future-tech thing that replicates armor/weapons based off that Pokemon's abilities.

It blows my mind that Atlus hasn't done anything even remotely similar. The Shin Megami Tensei World is PERFECT for a game of that style. Just imagine, you wandering around the post apocalyptic streets of Tokyo, battling huge King Frosts, Beelzebubs, Azuras, Orcus, Maras, etc. Just the idea of it makes me drool.

957961-mara.jpg

Tell me you don't wanna fight this mofo in real time action combat?

So yeah Atlus, make a Shin Megami Tensei MH clone and watch it become your most successful franchise.

PS: Atlus, if you are reading this, make a Miiverse community for SMTIV!

No. I want my waifus and my dating sims.

I'm serious

Shengar

Let's ignore logic and just put SMT skins into Monster Hunter without decent differentiating factor. It'll be major success! Million sellers!

Top Bottom